Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Golbez posted:

Georgia's etymology is disputed but I think it's generally considered to not be St. George anymore?

We should just use Sakartvelo.

Can't imagine where they get that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Syria is famously part of the pontic steppe

There is a faint grey line across the Caucuses that I suspect shows the limit of the steppe. Though no labels for what is below it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Negostrike posted:

Matsumae, the samurai clan that kept an outpost there

That section of the map is breaking my brain; clearly they were able to get into the Sea of Okotsk to map the Gulf of Patience, but they've either split both Sakhalin and Hokkaido both into two, or one of them into three?

That, and they've labelled the secondmost northern island as Jesso, but I don't think the Japanese government in Edo had influence that far north until the Meiji restoration.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 14, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I never realised the French kept the Beys in power in Tunisia. I just guess I always assumed they ruled it as part of France like they did with Algeria.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ultrafilter posted:

Bring back the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Currently US Senators, through various means, essentially have the power of liberum veto, and it's loving up our country just as bad as Poland-Lithuania.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Hemi-boreal if i may.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

TinTower posted:

That section of the map is breaking my brain; clearly they were able to get into the Sea of Okotsk to map the Gulf of Patience, but they've either split both Sakhalin and Hokkaido both into two, or one of them into three?

That, and they've labelled the secondmost northern island as Jesso, but I don't think the Japanese government in Edo had influence that far north until the Meiji restoration.

The shogunate only had a few outposts in southern Hokkaido by the time that map was made (1818). Also the Japanese knew Sakhalin as Kita Ezo (North Ezo) which might explain "Jesso" being apart from Hokkaido (which was only "Ezo") so I guess whoever made the map simply had not enough data or got confused.
It was indeed only after the Meiji Restoration that colonization in Hokkaido got underway.

Non-related content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JY9uds519o

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grevling posted:

Anyone know why it says "Matmay" on Hokkadio?

Okinawa Is Not A Small Island

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Reddit posted:

unusual cool picture

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
aw, I had to check it on thetruesize, it almost works

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

Y'all are gonna love this one. It's wordle but with country/territory outlines.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It’s way too easy, they need to add first level administrative divisions

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"teufteuf.fr" is a great domain name.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Antigravitas posted:

"teufteuf.fr" is a great domain name.
:laugh:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Badger of Basra posted:

It’s way too easy, they need to add first level administrative divisions
It has the option of rotating the country, or not showing it at all. Alternatively, try to do while you're super tired.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I struggled with today's but got it on my last guess. Apparently I have no concept of distances.

I think I'll be turning off the country outline for the future. Narrowing in on a place geographically I suspect is more fun, and I don't actually care much about the outlines.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When it was Nepal and Czech Republic, two very easily identifiable countries, back to back I became complacent. Today's was s bit harder.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

When it was Nepal and Czech Republic, two very easily identifiable countries, back to back I became complacent. Today's was s bit harder.
I managed to go trough the trio from east to west, that being the order I recalled their names in. Admittedly after first being on the wrong continent.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Worldle came around the perfect time that I was starting to get bored of wordle. I'll probably get bored of worldle after too long too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried a new Commodore 64 game called Turdle and I didn't know how to play because I've never played Wordle.

Thanks for reading.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/chitowntoktown/status/1493839697692569603?s=21

This map was obviously created by a French person, because the “only 8 FN MPs” statistic obfuscates a lot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/IsraelMoss2/status/1493878113553596419

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
USA has 0% far right presidents, therefore America is free of sin

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

e: I didn't actually read the thing lmao xd

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/chitowntoktown/status/1493839697692569603?s=21

This map was obviously created by a French person, because the “only 8 FN MPs” statistic obfuscates a lot.

I'm really curious which party the mapmaker is counting for Ireland since none of them are quite 22.3%. Fianna Fail is closest to that number but Sinn Fein and Fine Gael are in the ballpark.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

tuit got deleted

the cowards

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Rip tuit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nothing on the internet is ever truly deleted.

Mark Rachkevych @chitowntoktown 6h posted:

The next time you read about boogeyman “far-right” or ultranationalist groups in #Ukraine

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Nothing on the internet is ever truly deleted.

Do they have to tick more than one of those boxes? Because I have a hard time reconciling 2 and 3 with Denmark only being at 11.2%.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Do they have to tick more than one of those boxes? Because I have a hard time reconciling 2 and 3 with Denmark only being at 11.2%.

yeah that is way too low

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, the Ireland thing is still making me scratch my head, because fundamentally the major difference between FF and FG supporters is what side of the Anglo-Irish Treaty their grandparents were on.

(One of them is slightly wetter – in the Thatcher-era Tory sense – than the other, but I can never remember which one.)

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

TinTower posted:

Yeah, the Ireland thing is still making me scratch my head, because fundamentally the major difference between FF and FG supporters is what side of the Anglo-Irish Treaty their grandparents were on.

(One of them is slightly wetter – in the Thatcher-era Tory sense – than the other, but I can never remember which one.)

FF (Fianna Fail) are more culturally conservative (they had more links to the Catholic Church and rural people) than FG(Fine Gael). FG were historically the party of the urban upper and middle class so were a bit more socially liberal.

FF are also more centrist/populist economically. Their main economic policy focus over the last century has been focusing on what policies will win them the most votes and most money, rather than any intellectual ideology. Which generally meant a smattering of broad social democracy on top of a very pro-business platform generally. FG on the other hand are a lot more traditionally centre-right in their small government, low tax, low welfare etc ideological views.

So if its done by social views FF are more to the right of the two, but by economic views FG are more to the right.

Edit: though actually given the first criteria for the image, the "fascist/nazi history", I'd wager it might be FG the image is referring to given their Blueshirt origins:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueshirts

Blut fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 16, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Fresh from the Cursed Images thread:

If anyone's curious how the scaling actually works out:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Cyprus really fucks it up, or are they just gonna pretend that's not there lol.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Grape posted:

Cyprus really fucks it up, or are they just gonna pretend that's not there lol.

Cyprus is, of course, an analogue of the mist-shrouded Isle of Avalon, which moved to Lake Michigan in the 1960s to cut down on Morgan le Fay's commute.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

https://twitter.com/pnutprez/status/1493989085836460042/photo/1

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Awww I really thought we were going to get past the veto this time.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Downstate Illinois as a religious fundamentalist authoritarian state that hates the people on the coastline? Checks out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
More and more reasons to never trust an italian