Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cugel the Clever posted:

I thought the "Americans are completely unable to understand the world without America at its center" line from the last thread was a little overblown, but oh boy have all the posters who suddenly popped up to use this crisis as a backdrop against which to whine about Biden proven me wrong.

Buddy, a massive military movement combined with an un-negotiable ultimatum is obviously a farce and not worth responding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

West can afford it. Meanwhile Russians continue to live in poverty on levels that don't make sense for a nation with such resources

Russia or the West? You decide!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TipTow posted:

Russia or the West? You decide!

Wild that people live like this. I guess it is just the deep seated protestant mentality of apathy that prevents them from overthrowing their system. So sad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's poverty in the US, therefore all countries are equally poor, QED

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

There's poverty in the US, therefore all countries are equally poor, QED

You can make up whatever bullshit strawmans you like. Raskolnikov expressed displeasure at the money the U.S. has been and will be spending on this, TheBuilder said "the West can afford it" and tried to buttress that position by juxtapositioning Russian poverty, and I was pointing out that poverty exists in "the West," too, which is why some Westerners may be unhappy about their government spending money on more war.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I'm glad for the United States to rebuff Russia or China at the costs spent so far.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TipTow posted:

You can make up whatever bullshit strawmans you like. Raskolnikov expressed displeasure at the money the U.S. has been and will be spending on this, TheBuilder said "the West can afford it" and tried to buttress that position by juxtapositioning Russian poverty, and I was pointing out that poverty exists in "the West," too, which is why some Westerners may be unhappy about their government spending money on more war.

America has a military budget of $715 billion. Russia's is $48 billion.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TheBuilder posted:

I'm glad for the United States to rebuff Russia or China at the costs spent so far.

This is a fascinating look into the Anglo mentality. Due to religious beliefs in predetermination, dating to pre-modern times, many Anglos, in most Anglo states, simply view whatever the powerful authority does as good and godgiven. It is definitly a necessary cultural component to understand their seemingly irrational beliefs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I imagine foreign leaders just don't trust Russian doctors with shoving anything into their noses. Probably not that justified, but whatever, security protocols are weird.

It's just a ridiculous and paranoid demand and is probably just being denied for that reason, rather than fear over DNA sequencing, which if Not-Merkel was really concerned with he shouldn't be going to Russia at all since Putin could get his DNA from a pillowcase or a seatback or a fork.

The most likely reason for the Russian demand is the parallel nationalist paranoia on the Russian side: that Chancellor Not-Merkel might conceal having covid either because he doesn't care if he infects the Russian government or he is trying to infect them on purpose.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
According to David Arakhamia, Zelenskyi's party's faction leader in Rada, the 'war hysteria' costs Ukraine $2-3 billion a month. Hope US and the UK will be willing to provide financial aid when the full scale invasion doesn't happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

This is a fascinating look into the Anglo mentality. Due to religious beliefs in predetermination, dating to pre-modern times, many Anglos, in most Anglo states, simply view whatever the powerful authority does as good and godgiven. It is definitly a necessary cultural component to understand their seemingly irrational beliefs.

PSA: Opposing Russia is Good

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Paladinus posted:

America has a military budget of $715 billion. Russia's is $48 billion.

Hmm... That doesn't seem right...

Military expenditure as percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) in highest spending countries 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn, I actually went down that stupid rabbit hole and looked up the WikiLeaks cables and apparently the state department under Clinton did indeed systematically collect DNA sample of politicians.

quote:

Data should include email addresses, telephone and fax numbers, fingerprints, facial images, DNA, and iris scans.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/202678

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

. Or the US president, who famously even gets their turds collected from a portable toilet by a secret service agent out of the same fear.

Really? God drat, I thought South Park was a parody of real life, not a documentary comic. (Episode: Turd Burglars.)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Military expenditure as percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) in highest spending countries 2020

Looks good, last time Russia overcommitted to an arms race worked so well!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saladman posted:

Really? God drat, I thought South Park was a parody of real life, not a documentary comic. (Episode: Turd Burglars.)

There was at one time a concern a foreign country could learn about the president's health from their waste. I don't know if that's still done.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

America's GDP is 14 times that of Russia.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Russia says it’s begun partial troop pullback from Ukraine border; NATO urges caution

quote:

o Moscow is beginning to return troops at the Ukrainian border to their bases, the Russian government has announced.
o Igor Konashenkov, a spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Defense, said troops who had recently been posted along the border with Ukraine had begun their move back to their military garrisons.
o Ukraine’s president and Western officials have urged caution over taking Russia’s claims at face value.
o Timothy Ash, senior emerging markets sovereign strategist at BlueBay Asset Management, said the move could signal a big defeat for Putin.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1493623129180196872?s=20&t=lbRngFppA6jQu5GRKYFmmw

https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1493580244502171651?s=20&t=lbRngFppA6jQu5GRKYFmmw

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Has it been confirmed that only the accounts of Nazis and Neo Nazis have been compromised in this righteous hacking?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's kind of funny to think about Slick Willy ordering the secret service to collect his empty Coke bottles in case a foreign head of state is trying to steal his DNA, and then going out to the strip club with his buddy Boris to spooge on some blue dresses

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

America's GDP is 14 times that of Russia.

America consists of 50 states represented by 100 senators, all of whose prime responsibility is to bring defense contracts to their home state. And thus F-22, F-35, Zumwalt...

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1493631119669047299

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1493602139846893577
cocktease

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how much money my shithole country spends on the military for how loving lovely and useless they end up being. They can’t even win against the poorest Arab country after what, seven loving years?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

To be fair, there was always a high chance that the Privatbank ATM in my town just wouldn't work or not have enough money. Especially during holidays.
Oschadbank was more reliable that way when I had to pay rent.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1493573094698631172?s=20&t=tiaL-pcKZGDUcGkflnXz4A

As much as I want there to be peace, Russia has said they were withdrawing before and didn't do it. We can't breath easy until it's actually over.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

saudi arabia here quietly spending germany in the 1930s amounts on their military btw (and has been for the better part of a decade)

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1493637094673199107

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

saudi arabia here quietly spending germany in the 1930s amounts on their military btw (and has been for the better part of a decade)

And yet somehow having one of the worst most incompetent armies on the planet lol

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

CommieGIR posted:

Might be because if you don't join NATO, Russia has a habit of invading, pulling a color revolution, or whatever is the flavor of the day for Putin. Mysteriously, very few cases where NATO does the same.

LMFAO

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Few such cases!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

TheBuilder posted:

You're a freak

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

GABA ghoul posted:

Goddamn, I actually went down that stupid rabbit hole and looked up the WikiLeaks cables and apparently the state department under Clinton did indeed systematically collect DNA sample of politicians.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/202678

Her emails!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

America consists of 50 states represented by 100 senators, all of whose prime responsibility is to bring defense contracts to their home state. And thus F-22, F-35, Zumwalt...

It's not like Russian projects fare any better.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1493502755440570370
For people who didn't catch the crank, a number of Southern Military Districts training grounds are actually farther from the border rather than closer.

The announcement is also conflating WMD and SMD forces rtbing with general de-escalation, when there's also forces from the Northern, Central, and Eastern Military Districts encircling Ukraine.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
How many times did Russia say they were withdrawing from Syria and yet kept bombing it daily?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-696579

The video montage is pretty hilarious. Never knew it was possible to have multiple camera angles for a random IED find.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Gros Tarla posted:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-696579

The video montage is pretty hilarious. Never knew it was possible to have multiple camera angles for a random IED find.

I'm grateful they protected those 4 pigeons from being blown up by that pile of sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It's not like Russian projects fare any better.

Er..