Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Not as bad as your posting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

It’s very difficult, only professional level race drivers can easily achieve this sort of precision.

Or basically anyone after about 10 minutes of getting used to how it works.

MrChips posted:

:hmmyes:

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 15, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

those hammers will not get you out of one of them.

I had assumed the hammer would be used to get someone else out (of someone else's car).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

styls trill epic posted:

Are Teslas as bad as the forums say that they are?

Depends, do you enjoy doing murder/suicide pacts between yourself and random pedestrians? Are you cool with buying product from an intensely racist company?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrChips posted:

Tough but fair

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The real EV you want to avoid like the plague is the Ioniq 5.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I just carry a pocket full of broken spark plug insulation.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Are you cool with buying product from an intensely racist company?

I too am an ethical consumer, giving money only to the good corporations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

I had assumed the hammer would be used to get someone else out (of someone else's car).

Motronic also said that I believe

Kirios posted:

The real EV you want to avoid like the plague is the Ioniq 5.

Why do you say that?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Loucks posted:

Hell yes, ninja rocks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

styls trill epic posted:

Are Teslas as bad as the forums say that they are?

They're ok cars with a fan-loving-tastic charging network so as long as you ignore all the stupid insane poo poo they do and try to sell you you could do way worse. The company itself is loving terrible but they'll tell you here there's no ethical consumption under capitalism so you should definitely ignore the state of california literally suing them for blatant racism and buy one anyway. Rant aside, I think there's better options nowadays if you take into account the EV credit (which Teslas no longer qualify for) and some of the newer/safer bells and whistles. Plus the whole minimalism in a car is not for everyone (i kinda dig it but would also like just a big more?)

Now, actually finding stock of anything is a whole other poo poo show in itself so regardless of which direction you go get ready to run a gauntlet.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 15, 2022

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Loucks posted:

I too am an ethical consumer, giving money only to the good corporations.

Let me guess: you own a Tesla?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I didn’t bother driving the Ioniq 5 because I won’t be interested until it has a performance variant but the interior seemed pretty great and the specs all look good.and it’s inarguably the best styled of the CUVEV crop.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Its a thread called the ironic 5 because you would vote it a 1 if you were being sincere.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Loucks posted:

Oh please, that’s tame compared to bwbd’s anti-one pedal post. Just truly depraved poo poo.

one pedal good, three pedals best

two pedals worst

:colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Depends, do you enjoy doing murder/suicide pacts between yourself and random pedestrians? Are you cool with buying product from an intensely racist company?

#1 shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t spend the extra money on the extra bullshit that can’t be transferred to a future owner, thus negating any possible effect to resale value so don’t buy it anyway.

#2 is definitely the reason I’d steer clear of them at this point.

That said, if you need a car rightfuckingnow Tesla’s kind of in a school of one for making deliveries at the moment (I would still probably recommend you hold out for something else)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ok Comboomer posted:

one pedal good, three pedals best

two pedals worst

https://www.motor1.com/news/567023/toyota-ev-manual-transmission/

lol why

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How much do you think Toyota paid for that article?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
No idea, that's by far not the only article, just the first one I saw looking for one

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

because it’s fun, dogg, not all of us want to play xbox games on our infotainment screens the whole dingdang commute

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

#1 shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t spend the extra money on the extra bullshit that can’t be transferred to a future owner, thus negating any possible effect to resale value so don’t buy it anyway.

#2 is definitely the reason I’d steer clear of them at this point.

That said, if you need a car rightfuckingnow Tesla’s kind of in a school of one for making deliveries at the moment (I would still probably recommend you hold out for something else)

I don't know if this has changed but last summer Tesla had a 3 month wait list while Polestar was just 2 months and actually got it to me 2 weeks early :shrug:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
And on the other side of that (sorta), I order my M3LR right before Thanksgiving, was estimated to get it around now, but actually took delivery of it a couple days after Christmas

Guess I’ll give a mini review of it seeing as how I I’ve had it for nearly two months.

Pros:
Speed. I know it’s a cliche (with EVs in general, but specifically Teslas) but the first time I put the hammer down I was in love. Considering prior to this the quickest car I’d owned was the Bolt I traded for it, being impressed was inevitable. I mean it’s an EV and all the power is just right here, right now. Can’t wait to give it some more when it gets warmer see if that makes it even a tiny bit more fun.

Styling. I know this is subjective, but I really do love the exterior and interior. The butt is I guess just ok, however the nose is very much my jam. Extremely happy with the color I picked, Midnight Silver Metallic, wasn’t too into it while playing around on the configurator a couple years ago but once I saw a review of one in that color I was sold. Seeing one actually in person absolutely cemented the choice. Though I do like the aero caps (my refreshed ones even more so), I absolutely love the nice wheels hiding underneath. Grabbed a center cap and lug nut cap kit and they look amazing. I’ll be slightly disappointed when I put the covers back on in summer for road tripping but I’ll gladly take the slight range extension. Inside I’m just as happy. I thought I’d hate the wood grain but it’s subdued enough to where I don’t mind it. The seats feel great, but I thought my Bolt was comfy too… 🤷‍♀️ apparently I’m just easy to please here. The huge center tablet fits fine in my opinion. I don’t miss a dash display at all.

Speaking of which, the tablet experience itself. Everything feels pretty fluid (even on my non-Ryzen cpu) and responsive. I’ve not had any trouble figuring out where to go for something or having it screw up. Auto brightness works pretty well. I don’t know what else to say, it just runs great.

Build quality. I was terrified when I picked it up because of everything I’d been led to believe. So here I am, waiting for the sales guy to get things straight with my bank and I’m going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Realized two things. First, I’ve never done this with literally any car I bought, I just looked for obvious stuff and went. Second, everything was fine, I didn’t need to freak out. It looked like… a car.

Frunkchat again. It’s very much a useful place for roadside items. I currently have my snow brush and inflator in there. Never thought how useful it’d be not getting snow in my car when getting out or putting away the brush. Aside from that, idk, it’s a frunk… more storage is cool

One pedal driving. Feels way better than in my Bolt. Knowing my brake lights are on is reassuring and the clock when the hold engages is oddly satisfying.

General driving. It honestly just feels nice to drive. Quieter than the Bolt, having an unobstructed dash, and comfy seats make me long for warmer weather and long trips. The combo of the dash and something about the hood design makes it feel like you can see everything in front of you.

Autopilot on interstates or the stroad to my work. It’s so magical when it works. Granted my route to work is literally a 2.5 mile straight 4 lane road with stop and go traffic m, but throwing it in autopilot and just monitoring things is really cool. The couple interstate trips I did were equally cool, it’ll definitely make coming home after a long day trip easier.

App is fantastic. Especially coming from the awful MyChevy app. Being able to set temps, individual seat heaters, and the steering wheel heater is great. I wish it loaded a bit faster but considering what I came from I’ll take it

Phone key. God this is so convenient. I have the key card in my wallet but it’s so handy walking up to my car, getting in, pushing the brake and shifting to go. No buttons to push or wait to boot or anything. Get in and go. Same with leaving, though weirdly it took getting used to shifting to park and just getting out.

Sentry mode. Idk, it’s just handy knowing I can always see what’s going on around my car. Even if it’s turned off I can flip it on through the app and check on things.

Seat heaters. Jesus they’re toasty.

Cons:
Autopilot on two lane highways. It’s finicky here. Not the most fun experience. Maybe helped by software in the future but who knows. The vast majority of my driving is either city or interstate so this isn’t a giant deal.

V11 software layout. I would’ve loved to had the layout of the versions before. Not super unusable but definitely inferior.

Reverb. It’s definitely present, but I got used to it. Seems to go away with more than two passengers. And randomly it goes away when I’m alone so idk.

Turning. Coming from a Fiesta, then a Focus, then a Bolt (can’t remember how the Volt handled for whatever reason) this thing is a pig. Obviously I’m not used to bigger cars but drat this turning circle is huge

Meh/Other:
Sound system. I have no clue how to feel about it. I’ve messed with the EQ and fade but I feel like it’s not perfect still. Previous cars I just popped the fade a bit towards the back and went but here I can’t get super happy. There’s times it sounds just alright (never bad), and times where I’m genuinely impressed. Louder volumes seem to shift things more into the “great sound” side, but it’s just odd coming from my Bolt where I was happy no matter what.

Stock interior lights. Weak as all hell. I honestly didn’t realize I had footwell lights until I was browsing accessories. Went ahead and replaced those with some purple ones for nice ambient lighting and the trunk ones with normal brighter ones.

Fans. I really wish there was a fan-only mode for the awkward temps between winter and summer when I want airflow but don’t need any climate. Guess I’ll just learn to adjust to auto temps.

Set charging speed. Unless I’m crazy this thing never sticks. It literally doesn’t matter since I’m running off the mobile connector with a 14-50 plug on a 40A fuse but it’s odd that whenever I look at charging settings they’re at the default 48A. Is this something that’d only take effect if connected to the big wall connector?

No blended braking. Doesn’t matter too much to me since I like one pedal driving, but an odd choice.

Reduced/no regen in cold weather. Even without the snowflake icon it seems very common I have no regen in below freezing temps. I guess Tesla knows better than me on battery health but it’s so odd coming from the Bolt where it was happy to take in regen literally any time but at full charge.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Set charging speed. Unless I’m crazy this thing never sticks. It literally doesn’t matter since I’m running off the mobile connector with a 14-50 plug on a 40A fuse but it’s odd that whenever I look at charging settings they’re at the default 48A. Is this something that’d only take effect if connected to the big wall connector?

A bit annoying and unclear interface. It's location based, so you need to be at the place you charge to change the setting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It might also show the default until you actually plug in.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
BMW has a feature in their new electrics that does adaptive regenerative braking where it smartly applies the regen braking rate based on the traffic in front of you so it comes to a stop automatically with the optimal amount of regeneration.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Is that going to require a subscription soon?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Are you cool with buying product from an intensely racist company?

So, don’t buy a car then?

GM had the exact same problem as Tesla in a plant in Toledo in 2019, Henry Ford thought Hitler was an OK dude (and his company had the same racist crap at a factory in 2020, including a strike by all the white workers when someone actually faced a consequence for terrorizing Black people), and VW was founded by the German Labor Front. Musk is undeniably a chud, and he happens to be the current loudest chud in the industry, but let’s not pretend that basically every company isn’t absolutely packed with racist shits in the C-suite.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers

These are actually pretty silly fun movies.

Sonic Dude posted:

GM had the exact same problem as Tesla in a plant in Toledo in 2019, Henry Ford thought Hitler was an OK dude (and his company had the same racist crap at a factory in 2020, including a strike by all the white workers when someone actually faced a consequence for terrorizing Black people), and VW was founded by the German Labor Front. Musk is undeniably a chud, and he happens to be the current loudest chud in the industry, but let’s not pretend that basically every company isn’t absolutely packed with racist shits in the C-suite.

Whole lot of words to say “I bought a Tesla and here’s how I justify it”

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 15, 2022

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Zero One posted:

EV thread mk 3 - Frunk Of Rotisserie Delicacies

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Buy your Teslas from China, a better society.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ola posted:

Buy your Teslas from China, a better society.

They'll probably have better build quality, too :v:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whole lot of words to say “I bought a Tesla and here’s how I justify it”

Honestly, I also bought a Tesla, and that's pretty much how I justify it.

It's a great car. I have a lot of philosophical objections to what the company mouthpiece says, and, like, yeah, it's not surprising to me to read "car assembly line discovered to be racist AF". But I didn't buy the car because I wanted to stake out my position in the culture wars, I bought it because I needed a new car that could take road trips and I really like electricity.

I also bought a Nissan and a GM, and I guess it's nice that they don't currently have CEOs firing their mouths off more loudly than Tesla's, but in the ranked list of things that are important to me about what I drive around, how loud the rear end in a top hat CEO is doesn't rank really high. I didn't have a Plymouth Horizon in the 1980s, but that decision had nothing to do with Lee Iacocca.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1493604783265091591?s=21

More Bolt delays.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have they really not unfucked the batteries yet?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Have they really not unfucked the batteries yet?

My battery is still hosed. It's a 2019, which everyone suspects will be the first wave of replacements.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Powershift posted:

Jay Leno's Garage on the Ford Eluminator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJQZzg6rWyo

Pretty. Fuckin. Neato.

This is my only possible future in EVs.

Hopefully companies like EV west keep fleshing out, simplifying, and expanding their conversion kits,

It would almost be nice if there was a battery cell size/shape standards like car battery groups so you could more easily build your batteries in stages. like big gently caress-off AAs so you could buy/build a housing that would take x number of batteries, and just plunk a new one in as you can afford it.

You could probably do it with tesla cells, but you would have to engineer the whole situation yourself, and couldn't switch to a different brand easily.

$4K for the motor.

Another reason why the Postal Service should just retrofit the LLV's to electric. Surely they can get someone to build 100hp motors for even less.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mobby_6kl posted:

Can boil or heat up water to perfect green tea temperature. Takes a while but if you're in the car all day, it's not an issue.

Just give me a fridge to keep stuff cold.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

I blocked Henry Ford on Twitter

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

My battery is still hosed. It's a 2019, which everyone suspects will be the first wave of replacements.

I’m still kinda mad but not really about not jumping on the EUV when I had a chance like the week before the recall so I could cash in on that super extended battery warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
poo poo, I have to justify my purchases with goons now?