Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Colonel Cancer posted:

Cops can do warcrimes, they're not soldiers lol

won't someone think of our poor gravy seals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

wouldn't tracers kinda count as incendiary?

Not legally,

regulations posted:

2 Any projectile that is designed, manufactured or altered to ignite on impact, where the projectile is designed for use in or in conjunction with a cartridge and does not exceed 15 mm in diameter.

Tracer ammo isn't designed to "ignite on impact" it's just inherently a flammable bullet. Which is why NRCAN doesn't allow imports as it's a fire risk.

If they prohibited ammo that can cause fire every bullet is illegal, since a hot piece of metal hitting anything can catch fire due to the heat.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rutibex posted:

oh I guess I just assumed because it's a war crime Canadian police don't use it

The Hague Convention bans it in war.

It’s the most common type for hunting and law enforcement.

The cop and media campaign against 5.7 was ridiculous.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
In a practical sense you'd want police to be using HP ammo because it doesn't rip through their targets and the walls they hit and mow down people just for being nearby, and the grievous wounds they cause are rather more manageable when EMS is already on the radio looking for the location.

of course, this is moot when police thoughtlessly magdump in the general vicinity of anyone who looks at them funny and don't bother calling EMS for their murder victims.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canada aims to welcome 432,000 immigrants in 2022 as part of three-year plan to fill labour gaps

RIP wages and housing market.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

it will be funny the indignity when our imported underclass doesn’t want to come anymore because they aren’t stupid and recognize they will never own anything or build any life here

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah the petty bourgeois are responding to having to raise wages by flooding the country with TFWs

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Noblesse Obliged posted:

it will be funny the indignity when our imported underclass doesn’t want to come anymore because they aren’t stupid and recognize they will never own anything or build any life here

It's kinda slowly happening - Indian people are realizing they're gonna be sleeping 30 to bungalow to make money for our own Priti Patels

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m already seeing this being just about impossible to attack because of how neatly it will be stiched up with white supremacy and Great Replacement conspiracy theory.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
sorry for driving up y'all's housing prices but i shack up with a canadian if it helps

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m already seeing this being just about impossible to attack because of how neatly it will be stiched up with white supremacy and Great Replacement conspiracy theory.

there’s nothing wrong with immigration. it’s exploitative immigration with nebulous rights and no clear path to citizenship along with a housing bubble that will never be allowed to burst that’s the problem.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

there’s nothing wrong with immigration. it’s exploitative immigration with nebulous rights and no clear path to citizenship along with a housing bubble that will never be allowed to burst that’s the problem.

this is about permanent resident spots soooo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol they just can't stop loving around, looking forward to the anger when they find out again

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-protest-organizers-launch-new-fundraising-scheme-family-expense-support-1.5781746

quote:

On the same day the federal government announced that crowdfunding platforms will now have to comply with Canada’s financial watchdog, and authorized banks to freeze accounts suspected of connections to the protests, a group of self-described organizers of the Ottawa occupation announced a new fundraising venture.

Pat King, a far-right figure who has previously decried the “depopulation” of white people and has posted videos online where he makes racist remarks about Jewish, Muslim and Chinese people, hosted a “Hug A Trucker Conference” press conference Monday, where he and his companions revealed a new crowdfunding platform.

The site, which has been dubbed “Freedom Convoy 2022 Family Expense Support” states that its key purpose is to “take care of home and family monthly expenses of truckers on the frontlines,” and that it was created because the GiveSendGo fundraiser is not meant to those costs.

“We hope to do this by facilitating the connection between donors and needy families with direct (donor to family) e-transfers,” the site says, listing expenses such as mortgages, truck payments and household utilities.

As of Tuesday morning $91,710.00 has been “pledged” and the site is asking for $225,043.78.

“How this program works is they pair off a donor with a recipient, so they work directly with a family or a trucker driver and a supporter” said Dana Metcalfe, a former PPC candidate, at King’s conference Monday.

She also claimed that “veterans have come forward” to begin taking collections in the community that are going “directly into the hands” of the truckers, as they continue to try and release funds from their other platforms.

GiveSendGo’s website still says it is “offline” for maintenance and server upgrades after a hack that exposed 92,000 donors to the trucker convoy fundraiser.

The minimum amount to pledge to donate on the new site is $250, and the maximum is listed as $5,000 or more, with a note explaining that anyone wishing to donate less than the minimum should do so via GiveSendGo, as the site does not have the staff to process or facilitate the smaller amounts.

The maximum amount listed to pledge on the site of $5,000 falls well below the threshold of the new financial reporting rules announced Monday by the federal government, which states that crowdfunding sites will be required to report suspicious, large cash and large virtual currency transactions to the Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC).

Electronic transfers of $10,000 or more, out of or into Canada in a single transaction, or in two of more transactions totalling $10,000, must also be reported.

That means larger donations on the new website are required to be reported to FINTRAC.

“These changes cover all forms of transactions, including digital assets such as cryptocurrencies. The illegal blockades have highlighted the fact that crowdfunding platforms and some of the payment service providers they use are not fully captured under the Proceeds of Crime and Terrorist Financing Act,” Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland said Monday.

There have been reports of bank accounts frozen as of Monday in relation to the new federal financial crackdown.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol they just can't stop loving around, looking forward to the anger when they find out again

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-protest-organizers-launch-new-fundraising-scheme-family-expense-support-1.5781746

Oh my God I can't wait for some jackass to donate 5000 two times in sequence and then be completely shocked when his bank cuts him off

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
authorizing banks to freeze the accounts of people suspected of being involved with protests seems like the sort of thing that will be Real Real Bad when inevitably weaponized against anyone left of Bill Blair.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

authorizing banks to freeze the accounts of people suspected of being involved with protests seems like the sort of thing that will be Real Real Bad when inevitably weaponized against anyone left of Bill Blair.

Capital and the state was never our friends, can I at least laugh at the dumbest people on the fascist right running into a brick wall for now

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Isentropy posted:

Oh my God I can't wait for some jackass to donate 5000 two times in sequence and then be completely shocked when his bank cuts him off

that's why you donate 2500 4 times. the banks will never figure it out

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Hand Knit posted:

yeah it makes me uneasy for sure. i really hope the plan to make it permanent either fails or has some serious guard rails

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah it would have been better if they ended the occupation with the powers they already had. Expanding the powers of police and security state is not good. It will be used against left activists, indigenous, Muslim Canadians etc

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
otoh canada is a haven for money laundering and it's not like the left benefits from it so...

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nm covered a few posts up!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

All of the FINTRAC people I know quit to go to other agencies because they hated it so much, I don’t know if that’s just their work culture or effectiveness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

i'm worrying a bit because i'm doing a ton of crowdfunding this month including at least one platform that's completely new to me as a funder

(not blockades, it's the month when lots of people crowdfund tabletop rpg zines so you send $20 to someone in UK for a pamphlet on THE MONK-RULERS OF TIME ISSUE 3 as an example thing I just backed)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
one thing i will say for certain: while emergencies act is in effect the left needs to be absolutely careful

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cold on a Cob posted:

one thing i will say for certain: while emergencies act is in effect the left needs to be absolutely careful

Oh I'm half convinced this is all measures deliberately in place to ensure that when the working class actually rises up in 2023 or 2024 when the economic absolutely falls off the cliff they can use "lethal aid" on the actual dangerous segment of the population (the actual Proles)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Hand Knit posted:

the best counter point ive seen against this point is the fact that the government is already using the full suite of its powers against left-aligned protests already and no one gives a poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
in the event of an actual popular uprising (say 75% or more of the population) i don't think money would matter much vOv

but i've always been cynical about the chances of that ever happening, the bridge is just too far

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

in the event of an actual popular uprising (say 75% or more of the population) i don't think money would matter much vOv

but i've always been cynical about the chances of that ever happening, the bridge is just too far

We live in interesting enough times where I'd say never say never, but yeah it'd be difficult to get that kind of popular uprising in a place like Canada which is already pretty regional and decentralized.

Otoh we've had general strikes in this country, the most famous example being in Winnipeg that even had the police join in. There appears to be a renewal in organized labour both with renewed interest in unionization and unions themselves shedding ossified leadership. All these will take lots of time and lots of effort to come to fruition though. I certainly couldn't tell you what would happen when our real estate market finally collapses (but never will as it serves Number).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if the housing market is ever in true danger and going down substantially, i pretty much expect homeowners to be bailed out with taxpayer money, some of which comes from people like me who'll literally never own any property and will keep paying an increasingly larger share of my income to landlords forever

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

if the housing market is ever in true danger and going down substantially, i pretty much expect homeowners to be bailed out with taxpayer money, some of which comes from people like me who'll literally never own any property and will keep paying an increasingly larger share of my income to landlords forever

Sadly we're like 30-40% of the population at most so even if every non-homeowner rose up in fury over the fact that they were bailing out their landlords, the majority of the country wouldn't give a poo poo.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

*Sad high-five in solidarity*

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Frosted Flake posted:

All of the FINTRAC people I know quit to go to other agencies because they hated it so much, I don’t know if that’s just their work culture or effectiveness.

Total gong show. Every interaction I've had with them ends in a WTF.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hand Knit posted:

dont worry left wing people don't have any money

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

Oh I'm half convinced this is all measures deliberately in place to ensure that when the working class actually rises up in 2023 or 2024 when the economic absolutely falls off the cliff they can use "lethal aid" on the actual dangerous segment of the population (the actual Proles)

if the people genuenly rise up it wont matter what powers the government gave themselves on paper

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

We live in interesting enough times where I'd say never say never, but yeah it'd be difficult to get that kind of popular uprising in a place like Canada which is already pretty regional and decentralized.

Otoh we've had general strikes in this country, the most famous example being in Winnipeg that even had the police join in. There appears to be a renewal in organized labour both with renewed interest in unionization and unions themselves shedding ossified leadership. All these will take lots of time and lots of effort to come to fruition though. I certainly couldn't tell you what would happen when our real estate market finally collapses (but never will as it serves Number).

Winnipeg general strike wasn't an isolated incident. there was major strikes all across Ontario at the same time

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I think this is bad. :( It reminds me a lot of the expansion of surveillance in the US related to "extremism" and "domestic terrorism" except oops turns out all the cops consider BLM protestors to be "extremists" and so they count too.

The fact that left wing people don't have any money makes them more vulnerable, not less. The fact that the government already uses shady stuff against left-wing protests doesn't mean that they can't do worse, shadier poo poo.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

I think this is bad. :( It reminds me a lot of the expansion of surveillance in the US related to "extremism" and "domestic terrorism" except oops turns out all the cops consider BLM protestors to be "extremists" and so they count too.

The fact that left wing people don't have any money makes them more vulnerable, not less. The fact that the government already uses shady stuff against left-wing protests doesn't mean that they can't do worse, shadier poo poo.

nothing was going to stop them. it’s not like there’s some imaginary force field around these powers that JT has popped and now it’s gone.

it’s being used on chuds for a change and we should at least take a quantum of delight in it before the boot comes for us

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
rekt

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1493627339233714177?s=20&t=5EiqDHmJh1-SN7H3qz36SQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/radiogenova/status/1493587546550542338?s=21