Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I'm curious about that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The idea of running an email client without a reason to (like locally archiving mail) is anathema to me. My work uses the Microsoft email and office ecosystem, and I have shifted to just use Outlook in a web browser. My biggest complaint with it versus running Outlook locally is that it doesn't have the option to set the default appointment reminder to "do not remind me." I have to schedule a bunch of things per day and I don't want notifications about any of them, so have to manually turn off reminders for every single one. That's about it, though - for the most part browser-based Outlook is a better experience for my needs.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Outlook 365 can get in the bin, it's just an inferior product that's cheaper to licence

Same for the rest of 365 too really

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Skarsnik posted:

Outlook 365 can get in the bin, it's just an inferior product that's cheaper to licence

Same for the rest of 365 too really

Isn't the desktop win32 application also called "office 365", just to be confusing? As I've understood it, buying e.g. "Office 2021" will effectively get you a perpetual license for a snapshot of what the desktop/win32 office 365 was like sometime in 2021.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There are some Reddit posts saying that Files consumes an unholy amount of system resources. Too bad, it looks cool.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah it’ll sometimes make my fans turn on when I’m just clicking around large folders, but only for a second. Definitely not as lean as the normal file explorer.

That being said I’m still gonna use it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There are some Reddit posts saying that Files consumes an unholy amount of system resources. Too bad, it looks cool.

It's on C# and WPF, so there is going to be some necessary overhead right there as opposed to being written in something closer to the metal, but really it's pretty close. This isn't in something ungodly inefficient like Python or JS. My guess, having not used it at all, but briefly browsing the github would be that it's probably unnoticable with any kind of mid-tier or better hardware.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It's on C# and WPF, so there is going to be some necessary overhead right there as opposed to being written in something closer to the metal, but really it's pretty close. This isn't in something ungodly inefficient like Python or JS. My guess, having not used it at all, but briefly browsing the github would be that it's probably unnoticable with any kind of mid-tier or better hardware.

I'm on pretty good hardware so I'll give it a shot; if I run into major issues I'll report back here.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is it. My experience on a mid (mid/upper?) machine is just fine. Like sure, there are some random (to me) hiccups now and then, but nothing that would make me want to post about it. I think that's what most people experience, except that when some reddit people get some hiccups, they get real mad about it. Which, fine, but I think for the most part, it works well.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's not chuggy on my relatively high-end machine. But it is a tiny bit slower at displaying folder contents, and there's a LOT of animations that are distracting and you have to wait on. But it looks as nice as a file manager could and more importantly gives both tabs AND dual pane browsing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have a laptop with a 16" screen and a 1600p native resolution.

I thought there was a way that I could set the screen to native res, 100% scaling, but set particular individual apps to 150% or 200%.
Does this option still exist? (Did it ever?)

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I have a laptop with a 16" screen and a 1600p native resolution.

I thought there was a way that I could set the screen to native res, 100% scaling, but set particular individual apps to 150% or 200%.
Does this option still exist? (Did it ever?)

You can do it the other way around. Disable scaling for individual apps.

Except for electron based apps. Those usually can be scaled by pressing ctrl+= and ctrl+-

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Chilled Milk posted:

It's not chuggy on my relatively high-end machine. But it is a tiny bit slower at displaying folder contents, and there's a LOT of animations that are distracting and you have to wait on. But it looks as nice as a file manager could and more importantly gives both tabs AND dual pane browsing.
Yeah that's fair now that you mention it. Good call out, thank you for adding it!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I feel like I once knew a way to quickly arrange my windows so they were equally split vertically -- like, dividing my single laptop screen into two, effectively. At home I use three monitors but because of ADD I can't study there, and having to constantly move and resize windows is getting arduous. There must be an easier way!

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 20, 2022

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

credburn posted:

I feel like I once knew a way to quickly arrange my windows so they were equally split vertically -- like, dividing my single laptop screen into two, effectively. At home I use three monitors but because of ADD I can't study there, and having to constantly move and resize windows is getting arduous. There must be an easier way!

Windows key and arrows

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

c0burn posted:

Windows key and arrows

My hero!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You can also grab a title bar and push the window into either side of the screen. Or into the top, to maximize.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
The nice thing about the winkey shortcuts is that in Win10 (I think?) they added the ability to move into corners, which makes 4k monitors REALLY handy.

Edit: Win+Left moves it to the left half of the screen, from there you can do win+up or down to move into the quadrant.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 21, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been using Files since it was mentioned here, and it works pretty well on my desktop, where I'm the only user. Not so much on our laptop which I share with my wife. I'm not sure if the experimental "make this the default" did it or what, but it totally broke file browsing on my wife's profile. She'd get an error message saying something like it couldn't find the application.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

hooah posted:

I've been using Files since it was mentioned here, and it works pretty well on my desktop, where I'm the only user. Not so much on our laptop which I share with my wife. I'm not sure if the experimental "make this the default" did it or what, but it totally broke file browsing on my wife's profile. She'd get an error message saying something like it couldn't find the application.

It works well for me--also as the only user on my PC--but it's kind of a bummer that it doesn't autorefresh, so when I copy/paste or unzip something I sit there confused for a sec until I realize i have to F5 my file explorer.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It works well for me--also as the only user on my PC--but it's kind of a bummer that it doesn't autorefresh, so when I copy/paste or unzip something I sit there confused for a sec until I realize i have to F5 my file explorer.

Oof, yeah that's a dealbreaker for me from a usability perspective.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I haven't done any unzipping since I started using Files, but I deleted a file and didn't need to refresh anything.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
What was the debloat script people have recommended here before? I have an actual garbage machine it would be helpful on.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

What was the debloat script people have recommended here before? I have an actual garbage machine it would be helpful on.

Install Windows XP.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

MikusR posted:

Install Windows XP.
I literally might. It's a $200 walmart laptop as a media player. The less poo poo it does the better. Thanks.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

I literally might. It's a $200 walmart laptop as a media player. The less poo poo it does the better. Thanks.

In that case https://libreelec.tv/ is a better option.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I haven't seen an earnest "install linux" in so long it caught me off guard and cracked me up. Good poo poo. I was just looking for the thing that uninstalls OneNote trials and Candy Crush and start menu Bing searches and all that poo poo, not disable my swap file and turn off windows update.

E: Is it? I don't even know because I've never used it and I don't really want to. I didn't say I wanted a media player, I said I wanted to debloat windows. I'm not bumping this thread for this bullshit lol.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 15, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

OneNote trials
OneNote is free so I have no idea what are you talking about :)

Lowclock posted:

I haven't seen an earnest "install linux" in so long it caught me off guard and cracked me up.

You said you want to turn it into media player.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 15, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lowclock posted:

He wasn't joking when he said that a linux distro that's dedicated to the purpose, yet still uses modern software and gets security updates, is probably a better choice than a long dead Windows.

Stripping down a modern windows is also an alternative, of course. I'm afraid I don't remember the script in question - and I expect Google will have a horrible signal/noise ratio when searching for this sort of thing. I guess I can SA search when I'm at a proper computer?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 15, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think this was the one people recommended https://github.com/ChrisTitusTech/win10script

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The thing with crappy devices is that the biggest impact to performance is Defender and the countless security mitigations (memory checks and such).

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Computer viking posted:

He wasn't joking when he said that a linux distro that's dedicated to the purpose, yet still uses modern software and gets security updates, is probably a better choice than a long dead Windows.

Stripping down a modern windows is also an alternative, of course. I'm afraid I don't remember the script in question - and I expect Google will have a horrible signal/noise ratio when searching for this sort of thing. I guess I can SA search when I'm at a proper computer?
Nah, I wouldn't actually want to run xp even if security and compatibility weren't problems. I would use Linux, and I even tried it first, but some of the background audio processing stuff I want to do is way more of a pain in the rear end, and even once you get it working has noticeably more latency than the Windows alternative.

I DID manage to remember/find Shutup10, but yeah, Google SNR is low as hell sometimes. Decrapifier seems close to what I was looking for, but also a little heavy-handed and outdated.

MikusR posted:

The thing with crappy devices is that the biggest impact to performance is Defender and the countless security mitigations (memory checks and such).
Luckily (or not) it's an AMD A8, so I don't think I need to worry about spectre/meltdown stuff at least. Thanks for reminding me that I still need to do some googling to see what I can or should disable on that constantly growing exploit protection list. I'd probably be fine even shutting down defender since once it's all set up it won't even be connected to a network, let alone the internet.

Honestly this project would be better off with a little SBC, but they might as well not exist right now unless you want to pay a scalper 3x what it's worth.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lowclock posted:

Nah, I wouldn't actually want to run xp even if security and compatibility weren't problems. I would use Linux, and I even tried it first, but some of the background audio processing stuff I want to do is way more of a pain in the rear end, and even once you get it working has noticeably more latency than the Windows alternative.

That's fair - we use PulseEffects/EasyEffects to do some compression and peak limiting, and the latency it adds is just barely on the right side of annoying.

As for replacements, how about a used laptop? You may be able to find something that's significantly fresher than the A8 but still cheap - especially since you don't care about the battery life.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Honestly this project would be better off with a little SBC, but they might as well not exist right now unless you want to pay a scalper 3x what it's worth.

It sounds more and more that librelec is what you need.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
LTSB 2016 or LTSC, which is 2019, would probably work for what you're wanting if you don't mind going down that route.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
None of these "debloat" scripts have any impact on how quickly / performative the OS runs. Uninstalling OneNote and whatever other junk might free up some disk space, and it might make you feel better, but it has zip effect on anything else.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Computer viking posted:

That's fair - we use PulseEffects/EasyEffects to do some compression and peak limiting, and the latency it adds is just barely on the right side of annoying.

As for replacements, how about a used laptop? You may be able to find something that's significantly fresher than the A8 but still cheap - especially since you don't care about the battery life.
Yeah I want to do a bunch of discrete channels of processed audio, and with Equalizer APO that's dead easy and I can get everything done in like < 30ms, which is undetectable for me. I tried messing around with some JACK and pulseaudio stuff and it was a pain to get working, and was into noticeable delay territory before I even added a convolver. I might be able to get that down further, but I just don't think it's worth the effort.

I got this piece of crap from someone else for free years ago because they somehow spilled something (?) into it while it was flipped upside down. Whatever it was glued the ram cover shut and was all up in the dimm slots and on one stick and I didn't bother even messing with it. I was just going to throw it away the other day but I tried to turn it on and it actually worked. Cleaned up the sticky, crusty, but somehow non-corrosive brown poo poo and threw in a spare SSD from an even older laptop and it's pretty drat nice for $0.00. For right now I'm mostly just testing stuff and it's great to not really care about breaking it. When it's all done I'll probably just get a modernish laptop board off ebay I can mount in an appropriate tiny rugged enclosure because I won't be using any of the display/portability/input stuff.

Klyith posted:

None of these "debloat" scripts have any impact on how quickly / performative the OS runs. Uninstalling OneNote and whatever other junk might free up some disk space, and it might make you feel better, but it has zip effect on anything else.
Yes, I completely understand this. Like I said, I was just looking for a way so I didn't have to spend an hour or two removing 3D Object Viewers, disabling giant taskbar news feed widgets, and screwing with all the other little parts of the Windows 10 OOBE that apparently only I hate. The laptop being old and slow has nothing to do with it. It's more than fast enough for what I'm using it for regardless of if I remove Disney+ or not.

CFox posted:

LTSB 2016 or LTSC, which is 2019, would probably work for what you're wanting if you don't mind going down that route.
I'll have to look into these more, thanks.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 15, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Yes, I completely understand this. Like I said, I was just looking for a way so I didn't have to spend an hour or two removing 3D Object Viewers, disabling giant taskbar news feed widgets, and screwing with all the other little parts of the Windows 10 OOBE that apparently only I hate. The laptop being old and slow has nothing to do with it. It's more than fast enough for what I'm using it for regardless of if I remove Disney+ or not.

I don't think anybody in the thread likes that stuff but its also completely trivial to neuter what's left of Cortana (since its mostly deprecated now) during the set-up process and get rid of the news widget that started appearing last year.

The other steps I can think of offhand are disabling telemetry in the control panel, the registry edit to remove bing search from the start menu as well as taking a moment to configure what runs on start-up in the task manager.

It agree it is kinda onerous but it doesn't take more than an hour. Frankly I wouldn't trust any third party software that claimed to do all these tasks. Especially since they tend to do some other sketchy poo poo which is generally overkill.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

It agree it is kinda onerous but it doesn't take more than an hour. Frankly I wouldn't trust any third party software that claimed to do all these tasks. Especially since they tend to do some other sketchy poo poo which is generally overkill.
Yeah that's why I asked because I swear the one I got here before was all just individual reasonable tasks and not "NUKE UWP COMPLETELY". I ran it on the last machine I set up and it took minutes to get everything into a state I was happy with without breaking anything. It's still absolutely insane that I can't just right click Xbox Game Bar off of my start menu and instead have to run big powershell one-liners that may or may not break something into a nearly-unfixable state.

E: I guess I forgot to mention it's not that christitus one that kirbysuperstar suggested. I think it might have actually been a full program and not a script, but I'm kind of over it at this point anyways.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lowclock posted:

Yeah that's why I asked because I swear the one I got here before was all just individual reasonable tasks and not "NUKE UWP COMPLETELY". I ran it on the last machine I set up and it took minutes to get everything into a state I was happy with without breaking anything. It's still absolutely insane that I can't just right click Xbox Game Bar off of my start menu and instead have to run big powershell one-liners that may or may not break something into a nearly-unfixable state.

E: I guess I forgot to mention it's not that christitus one that kirbysuperstar suggested. I think it might have actually been a full program and not a script, but I'm kind of over it at this point anyways.

Was it this?