Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Well, if the G20 is any guidance, it will be several years before the inquiry even gets rolling. By the time anyone is getting hauled up to testify the key player will be appointed public safety minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yes. That was a real kick in the pants, wasn't it? Still, hard to begrudge Sloly a nice cabinet position, as these things go.

I hear he's very political.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

https://twitter.com/JigglyPants44/status/1493371039400828928

Yep, very stable people. Why wouldn't PMJT meet with them?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lars Blitzer posted:

He's trying to put this whole thing in the rearview mirror

That's a truck joke

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lars Blitzer posted:

https://twitter.com/JigglyPants44/status/1493371039400828928

The new season of Trailer Park Boys is going places, I see.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
How much reliance would litigants in a civil suit have on police evidence? Considering anyone could walk through downtown Ottawa and snap pictures of trucks, license plates, and faces with varying degrees of harassment, plus the mountains of publicly available content documenting the whole terrorist occupation, would this be the wisest way for residents of downtown Ottawa to seek some form of punishment or compensation for having their lives ruined for close to a month and counting?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

infernal machines posted:

"It's not intentional, they're just profoundly incompetent" is certainly not the direction I expected their reputation management to go. I guess if you're trying to avoid responsibility until the feds/province take over and hopefully dodge an inquiry in a couple years, you play the cards you've got.

The problem with this is of course them letting this slide past the first week when the numbers were manageable

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The problem with this is of course them letting this slide past the first week when the numbers were manageable

The numbers are manageable when it’s other groups protesting.

The numbers are also real loving low on weekdays when the weekend nazis go back to their homes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How is Trudeau going to enforce his Emergencies Act if he refuses to roll the army into Ottawa?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grouchio posted:

How is Trudeau going to enforce his Emergencies Act if he refuses to roll the army into Ottawa?

it's canada, he can just ask politely and everyone will go home

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Cutting off the funding will probably help clear out a lot of these protestors.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Wasn't there also a provision to force individuals or businesses to assist if asked, with compensation? Sounds like a way to get heavy duty tow trucks to forcibly remove anyone that refuses to move their rig.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sashimi posted:

Wasn't there also a provision to force individuals or businesses to assist if asked, with compensation? Sounds like a way to get heavy duty tow trucks to forcibly remove anyone that refuses to move their rig.

Maybe if we pay police twice they’ll enforce the laws

e: on white people who they agree with

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Grouchio posted:

We will crush them the Ottawa way.

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1493476490700365827?cxt=HHwWhoC9yZO98rkpAAAA

Destroy them with regulations, they never get to see a gun drawn in anger before their end comes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think you may have to

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1493439318198792192

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Former cops are intimately familiar with the process of planting weapons.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I am once again surprised the Liberal answer to a problem is to dicker with some money laws and do nothing of substance.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Dissembling at 1030EST:
https://twitter.com/dianedeans/status/1493573810959835143

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

https://twitter.com/dianedeans/status/1493599841125081090

This whole gong show could hurt Deans's chances at mayor, with Watson not running again. On the other hand, I don't know if Ottawa as a whole is ready for Mayor Catherine McKenney. They might get votes from Centretowners but I doubt suburbanites who only go downtown once a year will give them the time of day.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Servetus posted:

We will crush them the Ottawa way.

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1493476490700365827?cxt=HHwWhoC9yZO98rkpAAAA

Destroy them with regulations, they never get to see a gun drawn in anger before their end comes.

In retrospect, provoking the Vogons was not the winning play it sounded like on the way over

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HackensackBackpack posted:

https://twitter.com/dianedeans/status/1493599841125081090

This whole gong show could hurt Deans's chances at mayor, with Watson not running again. On the other hand, I don't know if Ottawa as a whole is ready for Mayor Catherine McKenney. They might get votes from Centretowners but I doubt suburbanites who only go downtown once a year will give them the time of day.

That was always going to be the issue. McKenney will need some prominent support from more traditional liberal voices to get any kind of traction outside downtown. If they were able to get someone like Alex Munter to declare for them I think that would get people like my mom to vote for them. Her pre-convoy vote was going to Deans, I think maybe she’s open to changing that now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Is this donation data base hosted somewhere searcheable? I don't want to deal with the file I just want to type a few names into a form....

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

In retrospect, provoking the Vogons was not the winning play it sounded like on the way over

we're drowning in a flood of obscure motherboard data, oh nooooooooo

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Waiting for a second source:

https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1493620941628268545

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If Lilley said it, believe the opposite, but yes also I can definitely see Sloly bowing out the second he's made subordinate to someone else, especially if that person is willing to just grab the wheel so he can crawl through the back seat and leap out of the trunk

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

More reliable source:
https://twitter.com/HannahThibedeau/status/1493624538705375232

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Justice for Ottawa!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

One down, three to go.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sounds like that meeting went great and he parted on amiable terms! :thumbsup:

:lol:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Haha, eat poo poo pig. How long till his senate appointment?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cocaine Bear posted:

Haha, eat poo poo pig. How long till his senate appointment?

When he's appointed by Prime Minister Pierre Poilievre.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Poilievre surrounding himself with failures would be on brand.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sloly-ottawa-resigns-behaviour-leadership-1.6352295

Lot of internal details here regarding the resignation

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/ChrisWalkerCBC/status/1493627945646235651?t=5yUNDclu26004Hf7S9Rkvw&s=19

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lol at doug finally acknowledging his antivax daughter publicly

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I have no evidence except my gut feeling but I’m guessing this was his team shanking him for trying to reform. They basically just ignored him while he became increasingly deranged and unhinged.

Sloly is bad but the ones who won today are likely the true reason this siege is still going on.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

did they work in the "air of a giant party" line a-loving-gain

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

did they work in the "air of a giant party" line a-loving-gain

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Sloly's resignation comes as sources tell CBC News he's been accused of bullying and volatile behaviour that has damaged relations with senior leadership and compromised the force's ability to cope with the truck protest. Multiple sources have told CBC News that Sloly allegedly belittled and berated senior Ottawa Police Service officers in front of their colleagues, and has failed to put forward a solid operations plan to end the crisis.

Just as context, "rebuke in presence of subordinate" is liable to get you charged in the military, constitutes a leadership failure for an officer, and is just generally really fuckin rude and a great way to lose the handle on your troops. The police aren't the military, but many of them think they are and there are more than a few vets in the mix, so pulling poo poo like this is an absolutely fantastic way to discard any excess credibility that might be a burden to your plan to flush your reputation.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I have no evidence except my gut feeling but I’m guessing this was his team shanking him for trying to reform. They basically just ignored him while he became increasingly deranged and unhinged.

Plausible. His first move as chief was to piss off the not-a-union-union by not meeting with them, and coming in as a "reformer" is basically announcing that you think all these pricks are shite and you're here to clean their house for them, which isn't how you make people want to follow you.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I don't really know much about Sloly other than he was OPS Chief during the boondoggled response to the occupation. But if he really tried to change the hiring practices of the OPS and force a culture shift, then I'm glad that he at least tried.

It's a huge problem when you can't even tell if what's coming out of a police service (hell, any government org) is true or not. I don't know who to believe, and I have little trust in any "full review of the operation" actually revealing the proper story.

Edit: Jesus, that article throws the blame all over the place. If anything, it's clear that the OPS is completely disorganized at this point.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 15, 2022