Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

What if I get the shakes! My aim will be off

I literally take medication for shaky hands like 100% for real, and I can use Gyro no problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

dang.... The touhou metroid gsme is fun

Thank you I will check it out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Thank you I will check it out

It's badly and probably machine translated if it botheres you but I had a good time with it

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think it's great that the option of gyro-controls are there for those that want it, but to me it seems unpractical to turn my wrists while still using the sticks? That's way too much action for me, I'm a simple.

edit: anyhoo, I hope the rumors of the 5 hour trial for cyberpunk are correct! I'm interested in trying out the game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's cool I had always assumed that it was a jrpg or VN based on the box art and GamePass has so much stuff that I always just scrolled past it without thinking

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

to me it seems unpractical to turn my wrists while still using the sticks?

you can use extremely fine movements, we're not talking about doing big wii-mote twists here

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John F Bennett posted:

I think it's great that the option of gyro-controls are there for those that want it, but to me it seems unpractical to turn my wrists while still using the sticks? That's way too much action for me, I'm a simple.

In practice you don't move a lot because the gyro is for fine tuning. It's very good for stuff like aiming for headshots when ADS

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John F Bennett posted:

edit: anyhoo, I hope the rumors of the 5 hour trial for cyberpunk are correct! I'm interested in trying out the game.
It's like moving a mouse. You're not reaching across your desk, you're moving your hand 1mm.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

That's cool I had always assumed that it was a jrpg or VN based on the box art and GamePass has so much stuff that I always just scrolled past it without thinking

It plays basically exactly the same as Deedlit. I think Deedlit is better but Luna Nights has the signature sick rear end Touhou music so. Same developer lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's badly and probably machine translated if it botheres you but I had a good time with it

i thought thats just how touhous talk

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

It plays basically exactly the same as Deedlit. I think Deedlit is better but Luna Nights has the signature sick rear end Touhou music so. Same developer lol

Deedlit was cool so I'm looking forward to it

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I love gyro controls because I don’t use them and everyone else has convinced themselves that they are better. I’m terrible at every shooter except for Splatoon where I completely dominated, and I suspect it’s because everyone else was on motion controls.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is that Cyberpunk update out today?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Pirate Captain posted:

I love gyro controls because I don’t use them and everyone else has convinced themselves that they are better. I’m terrible at every shooter except for Splatoon where I completely dominated, and I suspect it’s because everyone else was on motion controls.

I think it's because the Splatoon playerbase consists of 12 year olds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

So does every other shooter, but they completely destroy me there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cyberpunk series patch is out

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Beastie posted:

Is that Cyberpunk update out today?

Yup, it's live now. There's also a five-hour demo, apparently, which you can roll into the full game if you want.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I can't use gyro controls, so it was probably me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I installed Skyrim on my series X just for some messing about and it looks and plays great. I’ve never been a swords and wizards rpg person but the scenery really grabbed me when I first played it.

All my builds always become insanely OP archers though because it puts it on easy mode when you can take off some elite enemy’s head with a single shot :haw:

The quick resume makes it even better!

E: gently caress yeah hairdressing mirror

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

John F Bennett posted:

I'm way too stuck in my ways to ever be able to use something like this effectively, that video makes it look complicated. I too am an old.

At least you're honest about it. Some others looking at indisputable facts and saying nuh uh gonna be real sad and calling people hackers.

Fyi Splatoon has elo/mmr

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Watching the Fortnite video, the flick stick thing working in concert with gyro seems awesome. Microsoft, make a gyro thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Watching the Fortnite video, the flick stick thing working in concert with gyro seems awesome. Microsoft, make a gyro thing.

I'd buy a new controller if it had gyro and MS said they were gonna actually put it in COD or w/e

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Fyi Splatoon has elo/mmr

I assume Halo, CoD, Far Cry, Fortnite, etc do as well but I have no idea.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I didn't think I could learn gyro, but I just practiced it some in a single-player game before trying it in multiplayer. It's not as hard as it seems. You're really just tilting your wrist a little bit, and your brain picks it up pretty quickly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd buy a new controller if it had gyro and MS said they were gonna actually put it in COD or w/e

I was just thinking, would this be a big disadvantage in crossplay if ps5 has this gyro stuff and xbox doesn’t? :ohdear:

I kind of want to get back into warzone, haven’t played since it changed maps etc.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I assume Halo, CoD, Far Cry, Fortnite, etc do as well but I have no idea.

All I'm saying is that you're probably crushing newbies and literal children. You can't do advanced movement with just sticks, so I know you're not snap shotting.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

priznat posted:

I was just thinking, would this be a big disadvantage in crossplay if ps5 has this gyro stuff and xbox doesn’t? :ohdear:

I kind of want to get back into warzone, haven’t played since it changed maps etc.
Yes it's gonna be a big gap, I've been on the accessibility insider program begging for gyro, that being a big point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Watching that fortnight vid, how are they snapping to different directions so quickly with the controller? This seems to be what I have been missing whenever I tried using controllers for fpses. Didn’t look like it was motion and happened too fast to see the button or stick input.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Does it have gyro on PS5?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

All I'm saying is that you're probably crushing newbies and literal children. You can't do advanced movement with just sticks, so I know you're not snap shotting.

I’ll concede the possibility, but I don’t understand why the other games would be any different. I use a controller for all of them. And if I’m consistently winning, wouldn’t that put me up against more talented players?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

Watching that fortnight vid, how are they snapping to different directions so quickly with the controller? This seems to be what I have been missing whenever I tried using controllers for fpses. Didn’t look like it was motion and happened too fast to see the button or stick input.

Based off my step brother who constantly plays it on PS4 you need to set your sticks to max sensitivity lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I’ll concede the possibility, but I don’t understand why the other games would be any different. I use a controller for all of them. And if I’m consistently winning, wouldn’t that put me up against more talented players?

No, Splatoon has a ton of variables that go into match making, including not only mmr but also weapon choice and score relative globally. That's why they have the maps on rotation, they want you to change weapons and styles

Larry Parrish posted:

Based off my step brother who constantly plays it on PS4 you need to set your sticks to max sensitivity lol
That's what's great about flick stick/gyro, you don't have to do that. Splatoon already has a version of this as well. In Splatoon, there is reorientation button for gyro, if you flick the stick while pressing it, you will do a full 90-180° turn in a half second. You can do this in any direction and is a major tool for high skilled splatlings and snipers.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

No, Splatoon has a ton of variables that go into match making, including not only mmr but also weapon choice and score relative globally. That's why they have the maps on rotation, they want you to change weapons and styles

I’ll take your word for it that it’s different from other games somehow. But it seems like bad design that someone winning consistently, getting 2x as much as the next best player, wouldn’t be put up against stronger opponents.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stick + gyro rules. Stick gives you broad movement and gyro gives you a finer aim. They've done studies and people using that scheme do a lot better competitively than people who just use stick. It's insane that most PS4/5 don't utilize it when the Switch port does.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does it have gyro on PS5?

I don’t think currently for cod etc but could they add it? I thought the ps5 controllers had the gyros in em.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

I don’t think currently for cod etc but could they add it? I thought the ps5 controllers had the gyros in em.

DualSenses have gyro yeah. I played a bit of CoD mobile with a PS4 controller and the gyro was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sony shooter devs just rarely utilize Gyro despite every controller since the PS3 having it. I remember when Doom updated with a gyro aiming option a lot of people were like "why"