Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

The manufacturer did something to write on hidden sectors on the drive so that only "authorized" drives could be used in the cartridges but people figured out how to hack around that a long time ago when drives were failing all over.
I guess it makes sense to try some actual DRM since I bet they marked them wayyyyy up because they were "special magic hard drives". Just my luck that I never even picked up a single bad sector running normal 3.5" and 2.5" drives in cars even with loud rear end bass and completely inadequate chassis isolation for years. For me, way more have died just sitting perfectly still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I think someone probably makes an IDE to SD card adapter that might fit. They are pretty common among retro PC enthusiasts. At this point a microSD card probably holds more than any IDE hard drive you're going to find.

Or just join us in the 21st Century with a $30 mechless Jensen receiver that can read MP3 or FLAC off of a pea-sized USB flash drive that holds 256 GB.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Next time I need a deck, which is very soon because Alpine doesn't know how to debounce a button properly, I'm just going to go back to the whole car PC thing. A bottom of the line generations old NUC will give you more I/O and audio processing power than even the most expensive car deck money can buy in about the same package. Back in the day a 7" 1080p capacitive multi-touch IPS screen for it would've cost thousands if it even existed (it didn't), but now it's $50 on amazon/ebay. It will still take endless faffing, but that's half the fun. Just don't faff and drive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lowclock posted:

Next time I need a deck, which is very soon because Alpine doesn't know how to debounce a button properly, I'm just going to go back to the whole car PC thing. A bottom of the line generations old NUC will give you more I/O and audio processing power than even the most expensive car deck money can buy in about the same package. Back in the day a 7" 1080p capacitive multi-touch IPS screen for it would've cost thousands if it even existed (it didn't), but now it's $50 on amazon/ebay. It will still take endless faffing, but that's half the fun. Just don't faff and drive.

Hell, a Raspberry Pi would probably work fine. I'm sure someone has tried.

I've got access to an Azulle Mini-PC Stick. It's all of like 4" x 1.5" x 0.5" with an Intel Atom. We had them running full on Win10 and Zoom for conference rooms before we switched to Teams. Could be useful.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Hell, a Raspberry Pi would probably work fine. I'm sure someone has tried.

I've got access to an Azulle Mini-PC Stick. It's all of like 4" x 1.5" x 0.5" with an Intel Atom. We had them running full on Win10 and Zoom for conference rooms before we switched to Teams. Could be useful.
Yeah performance isn't really a problem anymore, it's mostly I/O and software. I'd probably run straight from an Android tablet if I could manage to get more than 2 useful audio channels out of it, but it seems like software for managing that just isn't there. I'll be making a custom controller setup for it so I'm on the lookout for Optimum Knobfeel. Maybe a 10-turn pot with a fishing reel handle on it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'd love the car pc idea, do you have any idea how to deal with the power on sleep state kind of stuff? So that it works like a stereo, playing the song that was playing when you shut the car off? But at the same time it has to sleep deep enough to not drain the battery when the car's parked for a few days.

I've always wanted that, but then phones and android head units came along and that seems like the easier move. I'm more tech savvy than most but I lose it around this level of uncommon.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My take on that problem is to have a microcontroller that is in charge of starting and stopping the PC, and the PC would use a power source that stays on for awhile to give it time to do a nice shutdown.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I'd love the car pc idea, do you have any idea how to deal with the power on sleep state kind of stuff? So that it works like a stereo, playing the song that was playing when you shut the car off? But at the same time it has to sleep deep enough to not drain the battery when the car's parked for a few days.

I've always wanted that, but then phones and android head units came along and that seems like the easier move. I'm more tech savvy than most but I lose it around this level of uncommon.
It's pretty trivial to use a little microcontroller to watch triggers and turn it on and off, which would already be in there for handling physical controls too. A little $12 Teensy can pretend to be basically every different kind of USB device at the same time, so the options are kind of limitless. Hell you can probably just do absolutely nothing and let windows sleep/hibernate itself and poke it with some kind of input device to wake it up and be just fine now.

e: yeah what they said

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 13, 2022

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Meanwhile I've been playing with my new chinese android unit , been about 6 hours of just loving around and thinking it will probably work. The default music player is pretty weak in terms of functionality, it just lists the songs in the library in order, that's not going to loving work for a 600 album library. So I download the same media player app that I use on my phone, and it works.

But I just did a test that revealed something unacceptable. If I power it off and let it fully power down to standby, which took less than 5 minutes, it disconnects any external USB drives, which interrupts media playback. That's a loving dealbreaker for me if I can't find a workaround. Running another test now, I had 3 USB drives plugged in to it, maybe it got confused. I'm planning to run just one large stick in it. But having to restart the media player every time I start the car is not what I'm looking for. Edit: test complete, and it still does it with one USB stick.

I also downloaded a wifi file transfer app and it won't let me upload to the unit, it's write protected somewhere and I can't find the options to get around that. I can understand the unit wanting to write protect but one of the things I was really hoping for was the ability to dump new albums to the memory sticks without pulling them from the car. The main microSD is behind the faceplate, and there's no way I'd be willing to remove and reinstall that every time I want to add an album to the library.

Basic functionality pretty disappointing. This is the same poo poo that happens with regular head units too, if you want to store a loving music library on it, as soon as you add more than say 20 albums it just can't handle it.

Now I want to try other stuff, maybe see if the microSD has better boot up speed. Because the thing only has 64 gigs of internal storage, so it won't hold all the music that I want it to, and without that wifi file transfer the only way to copy files to it is through a real clunky touch screen cut and paste operation from USB to internal. I loving hate this poo poo. I just want a massive hard drive in my car with all my music on it that plays and navigates a large library. That's why I liked the phatnoise so much, it was 100% customizable and played like a CD changer without delays. I have 618 albums of music in each car, and the only negatives are that I have to pull a cartridge to load music at my desk, and the hardware is obsolete and wearing out.

I'm thinking carputer is the way to go for everything I want. Hell if the microcontroller is functional enough I'd love to be able to trigger power-on over wifi and load songs without having to go down and turn the ignition on.

And yes I know I'm the weirdo with my requirements. Everyone else is content to just have the head unit be a dumb repeater of phone functions. I'm not.

edit: okay, it doesn't lose track of the SD card that snaps in the front, even if it's full of a ton of music. It's just the USB drives. So now my workaround, if I choose to keep this unit, is that I will get a massive SD card, and load music either by finding a wifi file transfer that gets around the write protection, or I'll put music on USB sticks and do the clunky cut and paste into the SD card so that I don't have to pop the face off every time I want to add music. I can do that one or two albums at a time, it takes about 20 seconds per album. It'll be the initial load-out where I load up the SD card and then insert it that's time consuming, but rare.

Also pics make everything better. So here's my test setup. Just out of frame are a benchtop power supply and a bluetooth speaker with an aux in.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 10, 2022

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Well that sucks. I'm not sure what's up with the write protect deal. Vendor/System stuff shouldn't even be visible without root, so it's not like you're trying to put all your songs on /system32. Maybe these things are far worse than I thought and it all just lives in some weird locked down user profile. From a quick google it looks like some of these have custom roms, root, and other modding tools that may help, but will probably also kill any warranty E: if you really mess it up, which is somewhere between pretty hard and impossible with modern devices.

I don't think your requirements are ridiculous at all. Messing with your phone to do car poo poo is the worst. I also like being able to plop some files on a drive and not having to worry about cell signal, data rates, streaming availability, battery/charging, bluetooth pairing or dropping out, connecting cables, and so on. If you can root this thing and get it back closer to vanilla Android it would probably be pretty awesome, but if it has weird problems AND it's all locked up then what's the point.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2022

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Also, since you look to probably have a decent little bench going there, if you can measure the preamp output voltage I'd love to know.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've given up on the MA1. It works great in my work van (a skip here and there, but that's over about 7-8 hours), but it absolutely refuses to play nice with my aftermarket head unit. I'd keep it for the work van, but I'm trying to gtfo :yotj:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

STR posted:

I've given up on the MA1. It works great in my work van (a skip here and there, but that's over about 7-8 hours), but it absolutely refuses to play nice with my aftermarket head unit. I'd keep it for the work van, but I'm trying to gtfo :yotj:

I'll buy it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well that was quick. :stare: I was gonna throw it in our marketplace thread.

E: shipped

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 12, 2022

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For what its worth in this talk about android head units, I bought a ATOTO one to replace the old stock cd player in my car about 6 months ago, and its been flawless. I ended up with one because I really wanted android auto functionality, and the requirements for the name brand units to need to wire up to brake lines and poo poo for safety stuff was just too much to want to bother with. It also has a mic on the unit itself so I could avoid running another cable in the dash and mounting another microphone somewhere which I also didn't want to do.

Its funny though, android auto was the biggest thing I wanted, so I could run poweramp and maps and stuff instead of using bluetooth generic audio shuffling stuff for stored music on my phone, however because the unit is basically stock android, I found I could just put a microSD with all my music in it, and run the normal version of power amp, plus maps, other music apps, do split screen with apps, run apps that doesn't have an android auto version, or whatever way better than android auto. So after all that I never even bother with android auto, and its great.

I haven't had issues with crashing, trouble starting the unit, draining batteries, or anything really, its been nearly flawless. I did read some posts about people having their contacts wiped after signing into their android account on it, but I never had any issue I just used a brand new account specifically for the radio since I didn't want to link my poo poo to my car like that if it was stolen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wish I could say the same. My Atoto has locked up unresponsive twice in the last week - have to turn the car off and back on to reboot - and the display keeps blacking out randomly while on CarPlay. This may be the wireless CarPlay adapter. Oddly, music and such continues to play, and if you know where the on-screen buttons are, they still work. You just can't see them on the screen. Hitting the hardware home button brings it back. As far as I can tell it's only on CarPlay. Updating firmware on the head had no effect. I'll try updating the firmware on the wireless adapter, but it's annoying to get to right now. If that doesn't work, I will contact support, but I will be strongly considering sending it back. I don't want to, though, because when it's working, it's pretty dang cool.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tom Guycot posted:

For what its worth in this talk about android head units, I bought a ATOTO one to replace the old stock cd player in my car about 6 months ago, and its been flawless. I ended up with one because I really wanted android auto functionality, and the requirements for the name brand units to need to wire up to brake lines and poo poo for safety stuff was just too much to want to bother with. It also has a mic on the unit itself so I could avoid running another cable in the dash and mounting another microphone somewhere which I also didn't want to do.

Its funny though, android auto was the biggest thing I wanted, so I could run poweramp and maps and stuff instead of using bluetooth generic audio shuffling stuff for stored music on my phone, however because the unit is basically stock android, I found I could just put a microSD with all my music in it, and run the normal version of power amp, plus maps, other music apps, do split screen with apps, run apps that doesn't have an android auto version, or whatever way better than android auto. So after all that I never even bother with android auto, and its great.

I haven't had issues with crashing, trouble starting the unit, draining batteries, or anything really, its been nearly flawless. I did read some posts about people having their contacts wiped after signing into their android account on it, but I never had any issue I just used a brand new account specifically for the radio since I didn't want to link my poo poo to my car like that if it was stolen.

Mine's been running great too and turned out my battery issue was just a dead battery sooooo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

the requirements for the name brand units to need to wire up to brake lines and poo poo for safety stuff was just too much to want to bother with

:ssh: http://www.microbypass.com/

Seems Amazon has yanked them and their clones down, but they're still on ebay.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Wish I could say the same.
From checking your last couple posts I see it was one of the Linux-based F7s? That sucks because I thought one of those could be really cool if it just worked. I looked into linux on an ARM phone/tablet and there's tons of options for super slow almost useless CHROOT stuff, and the real root stuff is only half-functional for the hardware I have, and not likely to get any better. I tried setting up linux with JACK and all that stuff today just on a lovely laptop since single board computers are basically impossible to get for not 2x+ markup. It took hours but I finally got everything working, and it's just not worth the effort for x86 hardware. I can throw together a Windows install in an hour and not have to gently caress with it Forever. This thing is a $200 walmart special with 4 gigs of ram and a Samsung 830, and it comes out of hibernate faster than my real head unit starts up and does anything I can imagine (OK, not 3D gaming).

Back in the day I had a Pentium 1 desktop with Windows 98 running Winamp as the shell. I controlled it with a little corded numpad which worked absolutely perfectly. There was also a keyboard but I never really pulled it out. Luckily I was driving an Astro van with plenty of room between the seats for just an actual fuckin 17" CRT. It was the most amazing poo poo and I loved it. Now that everything is so much more powerful and I know how to do some programming and electron wrangling, it's gonna be a ton of fun.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

STR posted:

:ssh: http://www.microbypass.com/

Seems Amazon has yanked them and their clones down, but they're still on ebay.

I usually just connect the parking brake wire to a cheap toggle switch.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Lowclock posted:

Back in the day I had a Pentium 1 desktop with Windows 98 running Winamp as the shell. I controlled it with a little corded numpad which worked absolutely perfectly. There was also a keyboard but I never really pulled it out. Luckily I was driving an Astro van with plenty of room between the seats for just an actual fuckin 17" CRT. It was the most amazing poo poo and I loved it. Now that everything is so much more powerful and I know how to do some programming and electron wrangling, it's gonna be a ton of fun.

I want a way to shoehorn Winamp-as-shell into a Morgan three-wheeler purely as my final and absolute declaration to the world that nobody can force me to make good decisions.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

...because the unit is basically stock android, I found I could just put a microSD with all my music in it, and run the normal version of power amp, plus maps, other music apps, do split screen with apps, run apps that doesn't have an android auto version, or whatever way better than android auto. So after all that I never even bother with android auto, and its great.

That's exactly where I'm ending up, I tested my unit with an internal SD card and it loads it instantly so my music app restarts where it left off (after I hit the play button). The only things I'm even slightly unsatisfied with are app related, like how the app doesn't restart playing music on powerup, or how it manages playlists and random play. But I'm learning that this is me not knowing how to use apps, because I DON'T LIKE USING A PHONE AS A GOD drat COMPUTER. Like I just learned that all the menus in my mp3 player are extremely context sensitive, way more than I realized. So if I'm looking at the song library, the hamburger menu only allows me to adjust how the songs display. If I switch to the now playing screen, that same menu now allows me to switch modes to artist or album directly within the context of the song that's playing. That's something that was seriously pissing me off and now I have the answer.

I still haven't installed the head unit in my car, I spent all day saturday researching apps, a friend of mine came over whose brother is hardcore into playing with phones and showed me launcher apps. The stock launcher on this thing uses really crappy neon color icons, the launcher he recommended is soooo much nicer. I then blew the rest of the day curating playlists and making wallpapers. Now I want to find a wallpaper app that loads a new wallpaper randomly on each startup. I have a few more things to play with on it but once I finish I'll get it installed.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I assume you got your wifi file transfer problem figured out then? I was just thinking about it and that unit actually looks like an awesome aspect ratio to do split-screen stuff on android. Even apps that don't particularly support split screen usually work fine if you force it, and either side would probably be closer to a normal AR than stock.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Is there an adapter that converts “square” pins for the connectors to “circle” ones? I picked up an aftermarket stereo for my land cruiser and the PO put in a radio that had square pins on the back but the new one I bought has circle connectors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's very little standardization on the head unit pinouts / connectors between aftermarket manufacturers, other than wire color.

Some are close enough to "work" as I once found out by accident - Aiwa and Sony, for example, use the same physical connector and have almost every pin in the same place. The only one that's different is that where one of them has the amp turn-on signal (which is hot anytime the radio is on), the other has the power antenna turn-on signal (which is only hot when the radio is actually being used as a radio, and not when using BT/CD/aux inputs).

If the previous owner at least did you the favor of using a proper adapter harness, just unplug the existing adapter harness from the vehicle, cut off the end that goes to the old aftermarket head unit, and install the appropriate end that goes with your new head unit.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Lowclock posted:

I assume you got your wifi file transfer problem figured out then? I was just thinking about it and that unit actually looks like an awesome aspect ratio to do split-screen stuff on android. Even apps that don't particularly support split screen usually work fine if you force it, and either side would probably be closer to a normal AR than stock.

Nah, I gave up on that and just manually loaded my entire music library onto a single microSD card. I can handle a USB stick for the rest of it.

And yeah it actually has split screen native, you just hit the app switch button and there's an icon on the app that if you touch it, the app only maximizes to half the screen. Pretty nice. Doesn't look like it does 3 at a time though.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I want a way to shoehorn Winamp-as-shell into a Morgan three-wheeler purely as my final and absolute declaration to the world that nobody can force me to make good decisions.
I'd have to go with AIMP, the modern Russian Winamp.

Sounds great, but could still use a little more TPOMKOCTb, comrade.

E: drat some of these old hi-fi skins are really neat. I think I may actually use one of these. They're animated and even have different cassettes and reels, and most of the buttons actually do what they say. If they have some nice classic car audio decks I'm so about it.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 16, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The Motorola MA1 arrived. I'm so upset.

The "Important safety instructions," really limit the usefulness.

quote:

Keep all slits and openings of the product unblocked.
Do not use while wet or while standing in water.
Do not use this product near water (for example, near a bath tub, kitchen sink, or swimming pool).
Never insert objects of any kind into the product vents as that may result in fire or electric shock.

I mean, how am I going to use a ventless, slot free device designed only for use inside a car if I can't use it near a swimming pool?

Edit: Seriously, the MA1 connected no problem, we'll test drive it this morning.

Edit: auto connected in about 30 seconds, no worse than my wired connection. Better, because it starts as soon as I start the car, not when I remember to plug in. No disconnects, including when I had the phone 30' or so from the car.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 16, 2022

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Edit: auto connected in about 30 seconds, no worse than my wired connection. Better, because it starts as soon as I start the car, not when I remember to plug in. No disconnects, including when I had the phone 30' or so from the car.
Wait. Do you mean the initial pairing process took 30 seconds, or it actually takes 30 seconds every time for the thing to connect and be functional?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lowclock posted:

Wait. Do you mean the initial pairing process took 30 seconds, or it actually takes 30 seconds every time for the thing to connect and be functional?

About thirty second from key turned to the AA screen up. I'll time it more accurately tomorrow.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

torgeaux posted:

About thirty second from key turned to the AA screen up. I'll time it more accurately tomorrow.
Holy poo poo. How does it possibly take that long? Does it have to cold boot a fresh VM every time it starts or something? I would've probably assumed it's broken.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lowclock posted:

Holy poo poo. How does it possibly take that long? Does it have to cold boot a fresh VM every time it starts or something? I would've probably assumed it's broken.

Fifty seconds from key turn to AA running. About 20 seconds from when the head unit was done booting to it's own menu.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Are there any backup cameras that stick to the inside of a rear window? If I mount to my license plate frame I either have to drill through my tailgate for the wires (in and back out), or run it down from the plate and stare at the wire. If I mount it behind the glass I can route the wiring through existing channels and use the rear wiper to keep the view clean.

I’m also a bit concerned about glare from the plate lights, they are above the plate in a chrome trim piece (before anyone asks, the wiring holes are not large enough for RCA connectors).

This is the vehicle in question:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Advent Horizon posted:

Are there any backup cameras that stick to the inside of a rear window? If I mount to my license plate frame I either have to drill through my tailgate for the wires (in and back out), or run it down from the plate and stare at the wire. If I mount it behind the glass I can route the wiring through existing channels and use the rear wiper to keep the view clean.

I’m also a bit concerned about glare from the plate lights, they are above the plate in a chrome trim piece (before anyone asks, the wiring holes are not large enough for RCA connectors).

This is the vehicle in question:

I don't see why it couldn't. May take some finagling, but I think my atoto backup cam even came with a secondary adhesive mount. Maybe for cases like this? Not sure.

You'll just need to really keep your back window clean. And not sure how feasible that is with a Land Rover in Alaska.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Fifty seconds from key turn to AA running. About 20 seconds from when the head unit was done booting to it's own menu.
drat, that's crazy. I really hope that's just some kind of weird device quirk because if they're all like that, I'd call it unacceptable.

Advent Horizon posted:

Are there any backup cameras that stick to the inside of a rear window?
What about just sticking it to the inside of the door pointing back instead of actually on the glass? There's plenty of choices with simple brackets that you could just clip/clamp/magnet/VHB/whatever to the metal.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The cheapo backup camera I bought off of Amazon had a very small connector that went to the camera, not much bigger than the cable, I think that is fairly common across cameras and may be small enough to feed through the openings

edit: this style would probably require drilling a hole on the underside of that handle area, so I don't know if I'd want to do something like that on a truck like yours.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrChu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 17, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I see on AliExpress these new style backup cameras that replace your license plate light with a housing that has the light plus the backup camera and they’re dirt cheap. I don’t know about the 60 series I’ve only had 70/80 series so that doesn’t come up in my search but worth taking a look through Ali.

It’s Mitsubishi Pajero a and Pajero ninja that I see the light/cameras but that’s just because it’s in my search I’d be surprised if there aren’t some options for you

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you put the camera inside the window I think you are going to have problems at night. The camera probably has an integrated IR LED for night time illumination. The LED might reflect off the inside of the glass and make the camera pretty much useless at night. Could you possibly mount the camera in the tow hitch? How often do you tow with that thing?

(Not my vehicle)

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 17, 2022

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

The camera probably has an integrated IR LED for night time illumination.
I think that's mostly just stuff with "night vision". I've never used one with it, so maybe it's really good and cool now, but even backing out of my driveway at night I've never had a problem with just what comes off the reverse lights, let alone street lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Trailer hitch seems like an obvious location. I looked for cameras but it seems like the best might be DIY for that spot.

I haven’t actually towed anything *yet* but we do have a boat. I am also known to back up into snowbanks (might not with a camera) that might damage it down low.

I’m starting to lean toward a surface mount with a couple very small holes in the new trim piece. I didn’t know cameras were available with those small connectors and that may be the best option - there’s a power lead into the tailgate so I might be able to make a small plug work.

So, then, what are good cameras to buy? Ideally high definition with very good low light capabilities - it gets dark here in the winter.

BonoMan posted:

Land Rover

*twitch*