Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

functional
Feb 12, 2008

Rinkles posted:

are you also planning on getting a new monitor? the pc seems like overkill for 1080p.

yeah, I'm waiting for a price drop on a M27Q or until I cave. I also looked at the 4k 32" gigabyte version. scared by the big screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

functional posted:

yeah, I'm waiting for a price drop on a M27Q or until I cave. I also looked at the 4k 32" gigabyte version. scared by the big screen

Yikes, the price shot up on that. I bought mine for $240 used and they've been on sale for as low as $220

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

Yikes, the price shot up on that. I bought mine for $240 used and they've been on sale for as low as $220

M27Q? I think the lowest I saw it was $260 or so during BF.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was $240 for a few hours during black friday, but the typical price is around $300. It's a decent monitor that's worth $300 considering most other high-refresh 1440p monitors cost more. The sub-$300 price is uncommon and probably not worth waiting for. edit: $350 now though, that's a bit much yeah.

Gigabyte is releasing a new revision though ("M27Q-P"), so I dunno how much longer the regular M27Q is sticking around for or what to expect pricewise from the M27Q-P. The P version will have a standard RGB subpixel arrangement, improved DCI-P3 coverage, and presumably different pixel response characteristics (hopefully faster), but all other specs are remaining the same.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 15, 2022

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I don't know if this is necessarily the best thread but eh

I just bought a 2TB nvme SSD to replace a 1TB sata SSD. I used Clonezilla Live to clone the drives and followed the documentation to have it expand the partition to the full drive size.

Once I booted to the new drive into windows 10 it shows the full 2TB in disk management but only 1TB in windows explorer for the C: drive.

Is there a way to fix this or should I re-clone it with a different program.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1493597854354612224

These rule, I'm getting big Gamecube vibes and would love to eventually pick one up if they end up being under $90

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is Inland Professional a decent brand for SSDs? I got a deal from Microcenter for a 1TB 2.5'' for $85.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is Inland Professional a decent brand for SSDs? I got a deal from Microcenter for a 1TB 2.5'' for $85.

That's a DRAM-less model. So not really that great a deal.

If you have a free M.2 NVMe slot, this is the best deal I see atm.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm building a PC maybe and I've got my motherboard and CPU and I'm looking at DDR4 ram and have no idea what the gently caress anymore. it's been a few years since I've done this; any recommendations on brands to go with? I'm aiming to get a 32GB kit.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rinkles posted:

That's a DRAM-less model. So not really that great a deal.

If you have a free M.2 NVMe slot, this is the best deal I see atm.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR

I actually don't have a free M.2 slot. I'm mainly looking for an upgrade for this 2.5'' 250GB SSD that I've been using as a game drive. For that use case, does DRAM matter?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lastdancer posted:

I'm building a PC maybe and I've got my motherboard and CPU and I'm looking at DDR4 ram and have no idea what the gently caress anymore. it's been a few years since I've done this; any recommendations on brands to go with? I'm aiming to get a 32GB kit.

what kinda motherboard an ram, that will influence our suggestion a little. can't go wrong with CL16 3200-3600 somewhere in there.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Neo_Crimson posted:

I actually don't have a free M.2 slot. I'm mainly looking for an upgrade for this 2.5'' 250GB SSD that I've been using as a game drive. For that use case, does DRAM matter?
DRAM is actually more important for performance on SATA SSDs than for NVME. NVME drives can use system RAM as a dynamic cache.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

CoolCab posted:

what kinda motherboard an ram, that will influence our suggestion a little. can't go wrong with CL16 3200-3600 somewhere in there.

ASUS Prime B660-PLUS D4. I'm ok going with DDR4 vs DDR5 I just really need to upgrade from my 11-year-old rig at this point.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171GQR0C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TOECTKC4OEBD&psc=1

These seem to fit the bill for what I'm targeting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not an expert, but yeah from what I understand it's not that important for games.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Basticle posted:

I don't know if this is necessarily the best thread but eh

I just bought a 2TB nvme SSD to replace a 1TB sata SSD. I used Clonezilla Live to clone the drives and followed the documentation to have it expand the partition to the full drive size.

Once I booted to the new drive into windows 10 it shows the full 2TB in disk management but only 1TB in windows explorer for the C: drive.

Is there a way to fix this or should I re-clone it with a different program.

Have a look here: https://www.diskpart.com/disk-management/disk-management-cant-extend-boot-partition-3889.amp.html

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I know it's prebuilt, but given gpu prices/availability am I crazy for thinking this actually isn't so bad?

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/d1k1

Specced with a 3070 and 2x8gb ram for $1849 CAD

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I was going to say what the hell no way that's high even if it weren't a Dell. But then I saw you're using Canadian dollars so I have nothing to offer, sorry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is cheap, but these OEM boxes often have some serious shortcomings that are essentially unfixable. The thermal performance here is likely going to be pretty bad, and I would expect the PC to be loud and at least a little bit slower than other PCs of the same specs as a result, with little you can do about it since you're stuck with that case due to the proprietary motherboard they'll use. And you only get a one-year warranty without spending more on an extended one, so if any parts die prematurely due to how hot everything runs all the time, you're hosed after that first year.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 15, 2022

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
OK, I need to build a new PC. I *really* don't want to build one right now because I know the market is crazy.

I just want it to be like the old days, where I can buy a good video card for MSRP from an online retailer. :smith:

Speaking of, anyone have some links to a decent video card that I can actually buy right now close to MSRP? Or anyone know of some new cards to keep a watch for being in stock? I just want to get one and get it out of the way before I pick everything out.

Also, I'm assuming that motherboards, etc. aren't as hard to get right now, correct?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

It’s just GPUs.

You close to microcenter?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s just GPUs.

You close to microcenter?

Nah, I live in California. I don't even think they have them here.

It appears the NVIDIA GTXs are all sold out, but the AMD RX 6600/6800 XTs are available:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...&st=video+cards

Is it worth it for me to drive an hour to pick up https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6475148 this thing?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

OK, I need to build a new PC. I *really* don't want to build one right now because I know the market is crazy.

I just want it to be like the old days, where I can buy a good video card for MSRP from an online retailer. :smith:

Speaking of, anyone have some links to a decent video card that I can actually buy right now close to MSRP? Or anyone know of some new cards to keep a watch for being in stock? I just want to get one and get it out of the way before I pick everything out.

Also, I'm assuming that motherboards, etc. aren't as hard to get right now, correct?

You actually seem to be underestimating how stupid the market is right now, actually. There are no decent video cards you can buy right now for close to MSRP. You will not be able to easily buy one by watching stock drops or anything either since those are botted to hell and back by scalpers--unless it's best buy (whose drops are uncommon), it's going to be impossible. And BB is still a total crapshoot. Also, which card you should get depends on what level of performance you're looking for and what your budget is, which is something you left out here.

You can still try to get new GPUs through the newegg shuffle, a lottery-based systems where you enter for the chance to buy something, though your chances are very low. If you live near a Micro Center, then they get twice-weekly restocks that you have to show up 20 minutes before opening to participate in (you get put into a randomized queue, but your chances of getting something are fairly good). You can check EVGA's DIY site every day at around noon EST, which is when they've been adding random new GPUs for sale if you buy them with other stuff (I'd get a PSU and either some random accessories or a cooler, but definitely not the motherboards). The 1030 that's there is total trash by the way (which is why it's the only one perpetually in stock). If you're really desperate, AntOnline as some EVGA bundles, but the markup on these tends to be higher than from the other places I've mentioned. Markup is high in general, though. Even if you get a GPU at retail, you're looking at spending 30% over the launch MSRPs at minimum. The RTX 3070 launched at $500 but it starts at $700 for the cheapest models going out to retailers currently. The RTX 3080 was a solid high-end GPU at $700, but $1000 is its starting price now. That's how the market is now.

Prebuilts are another way you can go. You can view my post history in this thread where I occasionally post about prebuilts and custom-build services like Newegg's PC Builder and Redux.

edit: Nvidia GPUs outperform AMD's GPUs currently. The 6600 XT is a rather mediocre GPU, and at $580 it's probably not worth it. That thing launched at $380 by the way. Try to find better nvidia GPUs first.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 16, 2022

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Dahbadu posted:

Nah, I live in California. I don't even think they have them here.

It appears the NVIDIA GTXs are all sold out, but the AMD RX 6600/6800 XTs are available:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/search...&st=video+cards

Is it worth it for me to drive an hour to pick up https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6475148 this thing?

If you search Alan smithees or my old posts in the gpu thread you can see how to look up one off Nvidia cards at Best Buys (typically pickup orders no one showed for) , you could try that. That’s how I got my 3070ti. Others have succeeded that way too but it’s a crap shoot.

Also there is a micro center in CA (Tustin)

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 16, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Generally speaking, if there's a GPU that's easy to buy right now, then it's because it's not a good value at the price it's being offered at. Any deal that's not questionable is bought out immediately.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions.

So I did a bit more digging, and this is a 700 dollar card at MSRP?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P3ZN62G/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KTA1SDADMGAB

Like, it's cheaper there than elsewhere, but I don't want to overpay like that.

One other thing: Although NVIDIA is considered better, I'm a fan of cards that last longer and produce less heat. I heard that the 6800/6900s may run cooler compared to the NVIDIA counterparts?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions.

So I did a bit more digging, and this is a 700 dollar card at MSRP?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P3ZN62G/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KTA1SDADMGAB

Like, it's cheaper there than elsewhere, but I don't want to overpay like that.

One other thing: Although NVIDIA is considered better, I'm a fan of cards that last longer and produce less heat. I heard that the 6800/6900s may run cooler compared to the NVIDIA counterparts?

That is WAY too much money to pay for that GPU. Absolutely do not buy that. Amazon and Newegg are rife with third-party marketplace resellers that are essentially scalping GPUs. These are scalpers who leveled up their game by getting marketplace accounts and listed their cards on big online retailers. You are better off not even looking at amazon, it is literally impossible to buy a GPU from a non-scalper there.

RDNA2 is a bit more power-efficient, but how cool they run is also a function of the cooler they use. There are plenty of Nvidia cards that don't have a problem staying properly cooled.

And again, it'll really help to know what resolution, quality settings, and frame rate you're targeting with your new PC. That way we'll know what GPUs to rule out for you.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That is WAY too much money to pay for that GPU. Absolutely do not buy that. Amazon and Newegg are rife with third-party marketplace resellers that are essentially scalping GPUs. These are scalpers who leveled up their game by getting marketplace accounts and listed their cards on big online retailers. You are better off not even looking at amazon, it is literally impossible to buy a GPU from a non-scalper there.

RDNA2 is a bit more power-efficient, but how cool they run is also a function of the cooler they use. There are plenty of Nvidia cards that don't have a problem staying properly cooled.

And again, it'll really help to know what resolution, quality settings, and frame rate you're targeting with your new PC. That way we'll know what GPUs to rule out for you.

You're awesome, and thanks for the quality feedback.

I think I'll be running 1920x1080p mostly, and the game I'll be playing the most is Path of Exile. I care less about 4k gaming.

I want a card where I can turn all the settings to max on PoE running at 1920x1080, with a super smooth framerate (60, with a bunch of crazy poo poo on screen), while also doing video capture/recording using Xbox game bar or OBS Studio. I may also stream.

I prefer a card that runs cool, has good fan control, and doesn't get crazy loud. Like that Asus TUF card I linked above had a great heatsink/fans on it and runs relatively cool compared to others in its class. I don't mind paying extra for this.

Here is my monitor: https://www.costco.com/msi-optix-27%22-class-fhd-ips-gaming-monitor.product.100805677.html

For reference, I have a GTX 970 I'm playing PoE with. With the settings turned down and nothing much going on screen, it has a pretty smooth frame rate. But once poo poo hits the fan, it also goes to poo poo.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 16, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a 3060 can push high framerate 1080p very easily, you might consider upgrading your monitor past 60Hz. 144Hz "gaming" IPS panels can be bought for like 100-150 bucks, or even cheaper secondhand.

wait

no you already own one, lol. hey i got a magic trick for you personally. have you by any chance right clicked on the desktop, display settings, went to the advanced display settings on the windows settings menu and turned the refresh rate to 165? this happens ALL THE TIME and it is not intuitive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^^^ I don't see how upping his refresh rate is supposed to fix frame drops during busy gameplay moments.

Dahbadu posted:

You're awesome, and thanks for the quality feedback.

I think I'll be running 1920x1080p mostly, and the game I'll be playing the most is Path of Exile. I care less about 4k gaming.

I want a card where I can turn all the settings to max on PoE running at 1920x1080, with a super smooth framerate (60, with a bunch of crazy poo poo on screen), while also doing video capture/recording using Xbox game bar or OBS Studio. I may also stream.

I prefer a card that runs cool, has good fan control, and doesn't get crazy loud. Like that Asus TUF card I linked above had a great heatsink/fans on it and runs relatively cool compared to others in its class. I don't mind paying extra for this.

Here is my monitor: https://www.costco.com/msi-optix-27%22-class-fhd-ips-gaming-monitor.product.100805677.html

For reference, I have a GTX 970 I'm playing PoE with. With the settings turned down and nothing much going on screen, it has a pretty smooth frame rate. But once poo poo hits the fan, it also goes to poo poo.

In that case, I would try to get a 3060 or a 3060 Ti, or the 6600 or 6600 XT can be decent but I don't know if I'd pay $580 for the XT. The 3070 and the 6700 XT could be considered as well. You won't need them for smooth 1080p gameplay, but maybe they'll offer some future proofing at that resolution, and they could open up an upgrade path to 1440p. Anything above those GPUs would be entirely unnecessary for your purposes. There's also the 6500 XT and the RTX 3050, but I would avoid those if I were you since they aren't a big enough improvement over your current gpu (actually the 6500xt may be worse).

We aren't really given much in the way of options when it comes to buying specific models that might have better cooling. You sorta gotta take what you're given here. With that in mind, something like this bundle could be okay for you. You're getting a $100 PSU that you'll need anyway along with a trashy-looking kb+m set to go with the GPU, so it's not a dreadful value at that price. The 3060 Ti also doesn't tend to get too hot. There are some tricks you can do with nvidia cards to improve their power efficiency too if you want to get into undervolting (more power efficiency = less heat and less noise). This bundle has stayed in stock for at least the last week, so I think you have some time to think about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 16, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

^^^^ I don't see how upping his refresh rate is supposed to fix frame drops during busy gameplay moments.

oh it won't for sure, i was just taking a shot. if he's super concerned about 60 that to me suggests that might be the cap of what he's getting; even a 970 should be pushing pretty high frames (well over 60) with appropriate settings. could be wrong, but that's my intuition.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Neo_Crimson posted:

did you do this at least
https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/10156/submit-a-build-get-25-absolutely-free

inland is MC's lossleader free swag brand. Anything more than free is questionable

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

This is pretty nitpicky, but does anyone have recommendations for a case on the smaller side? I have a little shelf setup on my desk that fits my current case perfectly (16" height, 19.5" depth, 8.5" width) and I'd love to find something similar. The main issue is the height, because if I go much taller than that I can't really use ports on the top of the case. Ideally it could still fit something like a 3060 GPU, if I can ever find one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

people seem to like the nr200p for itx

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

snackcakes posted:

This is pretty nitpicky, but does anyone have recommendations for a case on the smaller side? I have a little shelf setup on my desk that fits my current case perfectly (16" height, 19.5" depth, 8.5" width) and I'd love to find something similar

This would easily fit an nr200 unless my maths is bad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

Nah, I live in California.

where

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Santa Rosa, about 50 miles north of SF.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

In that case, I would try to get a 3060 or a 3060 Ti, or the 6600 or 6600 XT can be decent but I don't know if I'd pay $580 for the XT. The 3070 and the 6700 XT could be considered as well. You won't need them for smooth 1080p gameplay, but maybe they'll offer some future proofing at that resolution, and they could open up an upgrade path to 1440p. Anything above those GPUs would be entirely unnecessary for your purposes. There's also the 6500 XT and the RTX 3050, but I would avoid those if I were you since they aren't a big enough improvement over your current gpu (actually the 6500xt may be worse).

We aren't really given much in the way of options when it comes to buying specific models that might have better cooling. You sorta gotta take what you're given here. With that in mind, something like this bundle could be okay for you. You're getting a $100 PSU that you'll need anyway along with a trashy-looking kb+m set to go with the GPU, so it's not a dreadful value at that price. The 3060 Ti also doesn't tend to get too hot. There are some tricks you can do with nvidia cards to improve their power efficiency too if you want to get into undervolting (more power efficiency = less heat and less noise). This bundle has stayed in stock for at least the last week, so I think you have some time to think about it.

I researched the card, and based on reviews it can run hot if the fan curves aren't set properly. Additionally, there's a known issue with EVGA cards that this may suffer from that seems to be a common defect, in that when fans turn on it'll be a huge ramp up noise.

Saying that, given the situation, this does seem like a decent deal and I'm close to pulling the trigger. If you make any other finds, please post them ASAP. I'll check tomorrow morning, and if any goons don't seem to find a better bundle, I buy that.

Truly, thanks again.

Edit:

I thought about it and I trust you probably found the best offer out there that isn't super obscure, Dr. Video Games. You seem to know your poo poo. I bought it. If there's something better within the next day, I'll cancel the order/etc.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

Santa Rosa, about 50 miles north of SF.

and if you were willing to drive to San Rafael this morning:

:stare: :shepspends:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

and if you were willing to drive to San Rafael this morning:

:stare: :shepspends:

Well poo poo dawg. What were you using to find that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dahbadu posted:

Well poo poo dawg. What were you using to find that?

PM me your discord