Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You don't need an adjective, you can just be a person who isn't interested in having kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

El Spamo posted:

"We come from money"

Oooh ho ho ho ho gently caress you

I like how she built it up from "we come from scholars", to give it a patina of further credibility than "we're rich assholes".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PetraCore posted:

I... honestly think Maisy shouldn't go on this trip because the best time for her to be away from home for a night for the first time isn't when she's overloaded by her classmates and away from her familial support system, if she's got such bad anxiety. You're supposed to work on these things slowly, not throw the poor kid off the deep end because you figure her classmate can be her caretaker for the night. It's not fair to Izzy, but it's also not fair to Maisy?
Yeah but would you rather have one kid with problems, or two kids with problems that you can pretend are normal and totally fine? The answer is obviously the latter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm disenchildrened.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm achild!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to pay the babysitter for new glasses after my daughter broke her old ones?

quote:

I'll preface this by saying that I (M35) am a widower with 2 kids (9, 11). I recently got back to work and since I work nightshifts, I had to get the kids a babysitter (they're at school during the day and my sister stays with them) I was able to find a babysitter with the help of a co worker (actually they're related) and things have been going pretty well except for few days ago.

The babysitter called me while I was at work to tell me that my 9 year old daughter broke her glasses, I got home, heard both sides of the story and came to a conclusion that it was in fact an accident. but the babysitter said my daughter broke them intentionally after she refused to let her outside late in the evening. I asked my 11 year old daughter and she said the babysitter's story is accurate but since she and her sister have a beef then, I figured she lied to set her sister up. my 9 year old daughter cried and said she didn't mean it and it was an accident. I apologized to the babysitter for the misunderstanding but she insisted there was no misunderstanding and then asked me to pay her for a pair of new glasses. I was taken aback by her request and told her I thought we talked this out and rolled it out as an accident but she insisted it wasn't an accident. I apologized but refused and said it was unfair to expect me to pay, especially since she didn't pay attention to keep her glasses safe regardless of wether it was an accident or not. The babysitter argued with me then started crying swearing that my daughter broke them to get back at her. My 11 year old daughter sided with her but my 9 year old said she is only siding with the babysitter for her own benefits. The girls started fighting and I ended up telling the babysitter to leave. she got my co worker involved and she said I should take responsibility and pay the babysitter for new glasses since she can not afford them being a broke college student and in need for glasses. I apologized but refused to pay, my co worker got upset and shamed me for condoning my younger daughter's actions and treating the babysitter poorly when she's the victim in this situation.

It's been days and the babysitter is still wanting me to pay for new glasses but I feel like she's trying to use the fact that I'm in dire need of help and is hoping to get extra money out of my pocket.

"I talked to 2/3 of the people and they said that my daughter who would get in trouble did it on purpose, so obviously it was an accident and everyone knows accidents means I don't owe any money!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's the other part of it. My spouse and I decided long ago that we're not having children, but we don't introduce ourselves as such. If it comes up in conversation and we're asked? "Oh, we're not having kids" and leave it at that. I can't think of a reason to just announce "I'm child-free!" in most situations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"I'm Child-Free" not a well-loved Cream song for a reason, folks!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I like how she built it up from "we come from scholars", to give it a patina of further credibility than "we're rich assholes".

I was deeply confused because that used to mean you came from the embarassing and less well off branch of a noble family, and I was like "lady, why you poo poo talking yourself this early?"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA For Not Giving My Parents "Equal" Time With My Child?

It's my baby and I'll snub who I want to
snub who I want to
snub who I want to

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for commenting on my son's groceries?

quote:

My son is 20 and is living on campus. He asked me for grocery money because he doesn't like the food they have an school. I said sure. In fact I have to go grocery shopping so we can go together.

He had already started his grocery shopping by the time I got there. I was surprised what was in his cart - Lucky Charms, ice cream, chips, soda, ground beef, ding dongs etc. I think the only thing remotely healthy were avocados and some prepared salmon steak.

I said "dude, really? Your shopping looks like your 11 year old brother did your shopping."

He said it's fine because he works out. I said "yeah but you're already getting a bit if a belly there. At least get baked chips and diet soda."

He was pretty mad at me and pointed out that I'm not skinny. I told him true, but he's 20 and I'm 45.

For the record, this has nothing to do with money.

commenter posted:

INFO - So, did you feed your kid vegetables growing up? Like enjoyable, properly prepared vegetables?

OP posted:

They were not big on any of that so we had to mix it in their food like you mix a pill in a dog's food. Except for avocado. They'd eat that all day.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend it’s weird that she wants to name our son after her dead ex boyfriend

Seems most people saw this & didn’t like OP, but I’m gonna point out a few things:

- She has a kid from the first ex that her current partner has been helping raise
- She sounds like she hasn’t let go of her ex & wants a “reminder” despite having a son by him
- Due to this, he may be taking it personally, like she doesn’t respect/care that he stepped up
- Additionally, it doesn’t sound like she ever mentioned this name idea before now so he’s understandably confused/surprised

Not trying to imply anything bad but it definitely feels like she purposely omitted the name idea & waited until he was invested to bring it up. I really don’t blame him for being upset, if she wants more of a reminder of her ex, she can either change her 9 year olds name or learn necromancy to bring back the ex she clearly isn’t over.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to pay the babysitter for new glasses after my daughter broke her old ones?

"I talked to 2/3 of the people and they said that my daughter who would get in trouble did it on purpose, so obviously it was an accident and everyone knows accidents means I don't owe any money!"

No mention on whether the sitter is still helping this guy but if I was her I would tell the guy "No glasses no sitter." If he ever did pay me for the glasses I would then raise his rates to sit for him again.

Its also REALLY obvious who his favorite child is. If its that obvious from a few paragraphs I can only imagine how obvious it is day to day. I wish the 11 year old luck.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Intentional or accidental is irrelevant beyond determining if his daughter gets punished. Either way he owes the babysitter a new pair of glasses.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

limp_cheese posted:

No mention on whether the sitter is still helping this guy but if I was her I would tell the guy "No glasses no sitter." If he ever did pay me for the glasses I would then raise his rates to sit for him again.

Its also REALLY obvious who his favorite child is. If its that obvious from a few paragraphs I can only imagine how obvious it is day to day. I wish the 11 year old luck.

According to OP the babysitter is witholding services until they crack. Theyre taking advantage of him :ohdear: the poor thang

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm disenchildrened.

That would suggest that you had children or a child but don't anymore, most likely because they were taken from you. :ohdear:

Hughlander posted:

Yeah, what the hell is that thinking? If my child was responsible for something breaking I am responsible for paying to fix it, whether it was accidental or not.

"Whoops, I know I crashed into your car but it was an accident so I amn't liable for damages!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's my baby and I'll snub who I want to
snub who I want to
snub who I want to

You'd do it too if your folks fuckin' blew, do-do do-do doo

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Seems most people saw this & didn’t like OP, but I’m gonna point out a few things:

- She has a kid from the first ex that her current partner has been helping raise
- She sounds like she hasn’t let go of her ex & wants a “reminder” despite having a son by him
- Due to this, he may be taking it personally, like she doesn’t respect/care that he stepped up
- Additionally, it doesn’t sound like she ever mentioned this name idea before now so he’s understandably confused/surprised

Not trying to imply anything bad but it definitely feels like she purposely omitted the name idea & waited until he was invested to bring it up. I really don’t blame him for being upset, if she wants more of a reminder of her ex, she can either change her 9 year olds name or learn necromancy to bring back the ex she clearly isn’t over.

I think it would be super weird for this kid to now have a little brother that has the same name as his dead dad who has no connection to him whatsoever.

Super weird decision on the mom's part, she literally has a son from the guy so why does the son she's having with a completely different guy need to be a "reminder" of her previous relationship??

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for arguing with my aunt and stating that I refuse to "address her by her husbands rank"?

quote:

My aunt married good. She is 37 I think and grew up in a complete poo poo box like the rest of the family did. Complete poverty in basically a run down shack where we had to heat water on a stove to bathe and used the oven as a heating source. I'm 28f.

Now, back prior to meeting her husband I got along with her. She was humble, although she has always had the "I'm better than you" attitude. She never actually said those words out loud BUT she was the only person in the family to go to college and travel to France so she did have a "holier than thou" demeanor. Regardless, she always treated me pretty well.

Back 9 years ago she met her now husband and he is in the Coast Guard and a former Navy man. He is on the older-ish end. He gets a monthly allowance from the Navy and he currently gets a monthly allowance of mortgage payments from the Coast Guard. So they are living a practically free life and have SO much poo poo. I mean, they have a in home theater in their basement. They now have 2 kids together, whom my aunt is raising to be entitled, outspoken AHs.

Anyways, we havent really gotten along since she married this guy because SHE has turned into a completely different person but we are civil-ish. Her husband is super quiet and weird. Doesnt talk at all, ever. The other day I happened to run in to her and long story short, she got into a snippy fit with someone in the store and she literally said "You WILL address me by my husbands rank" after going off about how she has it made, practically. After the other person walked off I laughed and said I would never address her by her husbands rank because she didnt earn anything. That's his rank, not hers. He did that, not her. She doesnt even work and hasnt the entire time. She flipped her poo poo and said that he wasnt that rank when they met and SHE was the one who motivated him to continue (probably for the money) and stated that "simple minds wouldnt understand". My mom told me later I should have just ignored it and let her think shes a hot poo poo who accomplished something in her life. AITA?

ETA: He is an O-8 rank, Rear Admiral (RADM) in the Flag Officer Class. I wish I had thought about this sooner and just started addressing her as Mrs Rear Admiral, which sounds funny to me.

The actual rank makes me think it's fake because there's only like 50 rear admirals in the US coast guard and that feels a little too potentially identifying to post. On the other hand military spouses hijacking their partners rank is absolutely a thing that happens.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

therattle posted:

That would suggest that you had children or a child but don't anymore, most likely because they were taken from you. :ohdear:

I used to be a child, and am a child no more. :cry:

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for arguing with my aunt and stating that I refuse to "address her by her husbands rank"?

The actual rank makes me think it's fake because there's only like 50 rear admirals in the US coast guard and that feels a little too potentially identifying to post. On the other hand military spouses hijacking their partners rank is absolutely a thing that happens.

Ooh, this needs to be stolen to the idiots in the military thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah, I'd believe some weirdos are like that but there's no way that specific setup is anything but a last second gag.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Blastedhellscape posted:

Eh. I can understand the impulse to find out the biological truth about your kid's parentage if you're feeling some doubt. Most people want to know the full story about their lives and what's going on in them. Of course *demanding* a paternity test is a great way to nuke your relationship because of the obvious trust issues it brings to the surface.

Also, what really blows my mind are the stories where there's a paternity test, the dude who's been raising a kid for ten or fifteen years finds out that he isn't the biological father, and then he just abandons the poor kid in the most brutal way possible. Jesus Christ. Lucius Vorinus in the HBO series Rome was in your exact same situation and acted more honorably than you, and he was a hosed-up bloodthirsty murder! I'm not biologically related to any of the dogs or cats that I've had along the years, but I still feed them, shelter them, and give them unconditional love. You really should be able to do that and more for your sixteen-year-old daughter who you found out last year was the product of an affair rather than your own semen. You've still spent sixteen years getting to know each other. That's family!

My granddad's eldest daughter *probably* wasn't his (my mom and other family members have pointed out that the timeline of her conception doesn't make sense, and my aunt looked a *lot* like some store owner who my grandmom was really flirty with), and I've always figured that my granddad also knew. But he wasn't an rear end in a top hat so gave my eldest aunt the same sort of love and attention that he gave his other kids.

I thought it was just his "grandson" that wasn't his; the other ones that he abandoned and that got sold into slavery were his. Just glad Pullo ended up with his bio son, though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

therattle posted:

Yeah, what the hell is that thinking? If my child was responsible for something breaking I am responsible for paying to fix it, whether it was accidental or not.

"Whoops, I know I crashed into your car but it was an accident so I amn't liable for damages!"

But have you considered that I don't want to?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

therattle posted:

There are plenty of parents that think anything their child does wrong, even innocent accidents like human beings learning the world tend to create, reflects poorly on them as a parent. Paying for the glasses would be an admission that the daughter did something wrong and he's not a bad parent so how could that be? Some go to extremes like my sister:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This reminds me of the time my twelve year old nephew committed a literal hate crime on the bus (kicking a Chinese kid on the floor while yelling nonsense sounds and pulling at the corners of his eyes) and my sister insisted to ten other adults that it could not possibly have been her son even though you could clearly see his face on the security camera and there were over twenty witnesses.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA - ex invited new girl over while I was on family vacation

quote:

i’m currently dealing with not knowing if i’m the true rear end in a top hat in the situation

my ex (20’s M) who is in the mist of moving out of our family/roommate home of 4; 3 of us went on vacation with the, my Ex offered to watch our animals while we were gone and I specifically told him I didn’t want his new gf in my house while we were gone, my mother & my brother also stated this numerous times aswell.

Keep in mind we got our house cleaners to come the day before we left— while we were gone I had a inkling that something was off, this vacation was specifically to get away from him and for my family to bond and unwind without his negative aura. as we got home I came into a total mess, a bunch of empty takeout containers on our dining table and counters, the garbage over flown, recycling not taken out, dog toys everywhere, dirty dishes in the sink, dog stolen clothing scattered around and stains all over my kitchen floor. I asked him what he did this weekend and he said nothing, alluded he was home with the animals, I saw two bubble tea cups in my fridge so I questioned him; he said he ordered bubble tea twice for himself over the course of the weekend.. so I didn’t question him.

later into the night I had a gut instinct telling me to check his gfs IG (who was always on private, but now suddenly went on public) she had posted three photos inside my house, on my couch and such. I lost it, I woke him up in the middle of the night asking why the f he would go against our roommate rules and invite this chick over while we were gone. he acted like nothing happened and ignored me for the entire next day.

I was having a mental break as my home is my safe space and i felt so violated knowing she was in my home and purposefully put her account on public and posted those pictures with MY artwork in the background to get a rise out of me. I took to my Snapchat and poured out my experience about how he and this girl betrayed my trust and invaded my boundaries, trashed my newly maid cleaned home and lied to my face about it.

he brought my brother into the middle of the whole situation and used him as a messenger between us- texting him his new gf is freaking out crying and threatening to call the cops on me..?over a snapchat post during a crazy snow storm¿

I told him he shouldn’t have brought his new gf into my home and lied to me about it. I went onto post their picture and warning people that they don’t respect people’s homes because he was now threatening to call the cops on me as if he wasn’t the one that harboured a chick in our house without the rest of the roommates permission.

he’s now telling me he won’t apologize for bringing her into my home while we were away on vacation because my retaliation was 1000x worse; I did what I did, but I don’t believe I should apologize as this has been a rule in our family home for years now.

tldr: My ex secretly invited his new gf over without my or our other roommates permission then lied about it now is telling me i’m insane

Those who ghost, block, and ditch their ex's post break up are so vindicated. At least she broke up with this petty rear end in a top hat.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for stepping in to help my sister fix the cake she and her mom made for her bf?

quote:

My little sister Natalie is 12 and yesterday she said she wanted to make her bf (a boy in our neighborhood) a cake for valentine's day. I said she should do it, and it'd be sweet. She asked me if I could help her and I was going to say yes but her mom (my step mom) came in and said she'd help her. Natalie said ok but looked unsure. Step mom isn't a good baker at all but wouldn't let me help, said it was 'mother daughter bonding' so I backed off.

But today when I came home from work I found Natalie alone in the kitchen, a huge mess all over the island, and a hosed up glob of icing and sprinkles on the counter. I asked what happened and where step mom was and she explained what happened. They'd gotten the cake stuff, came home and made it, and it came out really good but then when they decorated it the frosting started getting all goopy and melted and nothing they did fixed it and she started crying and her mom got mad at her 'for crying and making things worse' before storming off to her bedroom. Hearing this was annoying but not shocking.

I helped Natalie clean up the cake to where it looked decent (it was a chocolate cake so it was easy to fix with some icing, sprinkles, and candies). Then right afterwards her bf came over and gave her a stuffed dog and some flowers (that I guarantee he picked from our neighbors lol) before they went to the living room to play Pokemon. So all in all it ended with my sister happy. But I guess after I went in my room step mom came out and found out what happened cuz later my dad came to my room and said step mom was crying because I hurt her feelings. I asked how and he said she was hurt that I kept trying to one up her with Natalie, and how every time she tries to bond with her daughter I butt in and make it about me.

I said that's not what happens and he says he knows but step mom is sensitive then asked me to say sorry to make her feel better. I said I'd think about it but haven't.

I wasn't trying to make her cry and I feel a little bad about that but I feel like I was just trying to help Natalie. AITA? Should I just apologize to smooth things over?

Edit? I tried talking to Dad and asked him to tell me what exactly step mom told him happened and yeah like a lot of you suggested- she blew some things out of proportion and downplayed other poo poo. So I told him what happened on my end and even suggested he ask Natalie to show I wasn't lying. Found out he'd never talked to Natalie about this??? Just took step mom at her word I guess.

But after Natalie and I proved what step mom said was BS Dad gave us both an apology real fast. I guess he was embarrassed maybe, idk.

But he wasn't happy when I told him I wasn't gonna be saying sorry to step mom anymore just to make her stop throwing fits when I don't do anything wrong. I said it was crummy he was making step mom's crybaby feelings the most important thing in the house. I made it clear I'm not gonna pacify her anymore and he needs to make her act like a grownup.

He and I argued back and forth and then he kinda passively aggressively suggested that I move out then if I was so unhappy with how he ran the house.

I reminded him whose name the house is under and now he's not speaking to me.

Wait what?

quote:

Yeah, my mom left it to me. It'd been in my mom's family since before she was born so she willed it to me. I couldn't claim it until I was 18 though. But I guess Dad forgot I knew that.

Nom Nom Nom this hand that feeds me tastes so good!

AITA for kicking my Pregnant sister out?

quote:

I 28F have been letting my sister 23F stay at my house for about 3 months. She had a big blowup with her now exbf and he kicked her out since she’s not on the lease and has no job. She refuses to tell me what the fight was about Im the only family she has close and she promised to only stay until she can get back on her feet. She’s been sleeping on my pullout sofa in my home office. Recently she came to me about making my office more comfortable while she stays with me, like buying an actual bed and other things. I immediately vetoed that because I work from home and need my office and she’s only a temporary guest. She tried to fight about it with me and I told her if she continues arguing about it I would kick her out.

She then told me that I couldn’t kick her out because she’s pregnant. Apparently this was what the fight was about with her ex because he doesn’t want a baby. She was hiding her pregnancy from me because she was hoping she would be too pregnant for me to kick her out once I found out. She was hoping I would be forced into helping her with the baby’s expenses which is why she wanted to convert my office to a bedroom. I’m furious with her and immediately went and booked her a bus ticket to our parents. Now that she’s at home she’s basically got most of the family her side. Saying I should have let her stay with me. AITA for kicking out my pregnant sister?

It takes a village to raise a kid, so she sent her sister back for everyone to help out!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Soylent Pudding posted:

This is just an extreme version of the weirdos who insist you call them by their husband's name.

"That's Mrs John Smith, thank you very much." or "Mrs Dr John Smith"

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Soylent Pudding posted:

As someone who is not in the military or working with the military in any capacity, I wouldn't even call her husband by his rank. He'd be "John" or "Mr. Smith".

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
It's an estranged parent buffet all of a sudden. Hmm, I wonder what this little nugget might be

quote:

It has been 3 1/2 years since I have had contact with my daughter. I too have sent cards and messages. I only received one text from her saying that I should know why I am such a bad mother and “what kind of a mother does not apologize?” I let her know that I had no idea what I was to apologize for and if she wanted to speak in person, I would be more than happy to air any grievances. I got no reply so I stopped into her workplace about 2 months later just to say hello. She started shaking and shrunk back in fear like I was going to beat her. I have never touched her in my life and she is 40 years old. I decided to not make any further effort after that

JESUS CHRIST

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hughlander posted:

AITA for stepping in to help my sister fix the cake she and her mom made for her bf?

Wait what?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hughlander posted:

Wait what?

Playing the uno reverse card on the old "My house my rules" routine.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Child-free more like child-expensive am I right

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for commenting on my son's groceries?
This is why I've always been suspicious of that years-long fad of making junk food out of vegetables. Your kids are just going to eat nothing but junk food as soon as they're out of your sight. But I'm one of those people who don't have kids so don't take my word for it.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

My cousin's ex gave their daughter her late boyfriend's surname. No, it isn't her surname. Everything I've heard indicates that the relationship ended because she wasn't over him.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 15, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA - ex invited new girl over while I was on family vacation

Those who ghost, block, and ditch their ex's post break up are so vindicated. At least she broke up with this petty rear end in a top hat.

Seems like OP is leaving out a lot here.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why I've always been suspicious of that years-long fad of making junk food out of vegetables. Your kids are just going to eat nothing but junk food as soon as they're out of your sight. But I'm one of those people who don't have kids so don't take my word for it.

My cousin's ex gave their daughter her late boyfriend's surname. No, it isn't her surname. Everything I've heard indicates that the relationship ended because she wasn't over him.

There is a middle ground, everyone I know whose parents were insane health food people immediately got fat when they left for college cause they had never had junk food before and went insane with it. But if you just feed your kids junk they don't learn healthy habits.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Wait what?

I wonder if stepmother knows the house doesn't belong to dad? There seems to be a bit of a theme of people with kids marrying other people with kids apparently just for a free house (like the story a few pages back with basement niece) from which they plan to oust the resident kids in favour of their own. Like cuckoos but with live chicks. It's gross.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my daughter (23F) she's a bad person over pizza?

quote:

My family consists of me, my husband, my daughter (22F) and my son (17M). My daughter moved back home during lockdown 2020 as she was finishing her Masters degree. She took a year out to work and is now doing a secondary degree. I told her if she stayed at home and didn't take out any loans we would help her through the degree. (We aren't paying for it though, food/petrol/etc.)

On Thursday night we threw a pizza party for myself, my husband, our children and their partners. It went great and everyone got on well. On Friday night my family (me, husband, daughter and son) visited their grandparents for a family dinner.

On Saturday my husband and I returned from a shopping trip around lunch time and told daughter she needs to get ready for the pizza night. She said she didn't know we were having a pizza night on Saturday (I had invited over a group of old family friends) and that she had planned her weekend so she could do all her work Saturday, and go to visit her boyfriend for Sunday/Monday as it is Valentine's Day. I told her she could at the very least stay for the meal but she said no, it always ends up becoming a long meal and she'd have to wash her hair and do her make up which she was planning to do Sunday so she'd have clean hair and not need to wash it at her boyfriend's.

I told her if she was going to act like that I would cancel the whole thing. She said that's silly, she just didn't want to participate as she had work to do. It blew up between us as she said this was HER time to do as she pleased and I had just had a week of holiday, I complained about trying to do my best to please everyone and she said that's nothing to do with her she didn't ask or know about my dinner plans. It escalated a bit and when her father (my husband) walked in I said our daughter was refusing to participate because she didn't want pizza again (she'd said she doesn't want pizza so soon after Thursday as well). My daughter said 'it's not because she is making pizza it's because I'm busy and I don't want pizza either' I exclaimed 'She?! I am not SHE!' and my daughter repeated what she said but called me 'he' instead. I told her she's a bad person.

She did not join in pizza night, she was annoyed the guest stayed until 1am as she wasn't able to prepare her own dinner. We haven't talked since.

AITA for calling her a bad person? I think she is ungrateful and should have just joined in but she doesn't like people seeing her as a 'mess' and blew up the situation. All she had to do was join in dinner.

EDIT: About the bit regarding pronouns - I identify as female but it is rude to refer to someone as 'she' rather than their name/title if they are part of a discussion. And she then repeated her phrase and used 'he' when I was upset by the use of 'she' which was obviously meant to upset me even more.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my daughter (23F) she's a bad person over pizza?

I mean she could call you “that bitch” and that would satisfy your criteria.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for being angry at my husband because he gifted his uncle an expensive wristwatch without telling me?

quote:

My husband is very close to his uncle. He trusts him so much that he entrusted him to take care of his successful side business. That is the level of respect and love they have for each other.

Now, I like his uncle too but my husband took things too far last week, and I'm loving pissed.

He always told me that he wanted to thank his uncle personally with a heartful gift for making his successful side business much more successful. The problem was he could never come up with a good gift, because he had so many things in his mind, so I let him take his time without pushing my ideas onto him.

So, last week, he gifted his uncle a very expensive wristwatch ($40K) without telling me. I was angry that he didn't tell me in advance before pulling this stunt on me.

He tried to calm me down by telling that it happened on a whim, and that he was sorry.

I didn't accept his apology because it's messed up that he didn't discuss it with me first.

He thinks I'm being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat and trying to turn a small problem into a big one.

This was not the first time he did something like this which is why I'm so loving pissed.

EDIT :- It's his money because I'm a fulltime SAHM. We don't have a joint account, and $40K is not a lot of money to us but still he should've discussed it with me.

I think this is my new biggest trigger. I get so stressed for the women in the relationship, "Oh I don't have a job because I take care of the children, but also don't have any money or access to the household income."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for refusing to walk my daughter down the aisle?

quote:

I (M49) have 2 daughters, Marie(27) and Julie(23). For context Julie is not my biological daughter since I married my current wife when she was only 2 and since her dad was absent I adopted her as my own but I love both my daughters the same.

This being said, I am closer to Julie since she has and still live with us and we do almost everything together. Instead, Marie is closer to her mom, mainly cause her mom got full custody of her and has never lived with me.

Now, to the main issue: Julie got engaged about a year ago and immediately asked me to walk her down the aisle, I of course agreed and have actively helped her with the planning of the wedding which is scheduled to October/2022.

A couple of weeks ago Marie asked me to go grab some coffee with her and let me know she's currently pregnant and will soon get married. To be honest this got me off guard since I didn't even know she had a boyfriend. She apparently will have quiet a fast wedding since she doesn't want to show too much, meaning her wedding will be in 3 months. She says it'll be a small ceremony and asked me to walk her down the aisle. I felt weird about it since I don't even know her fiancé and it's all so sudden so I asked her to let me think about it. It seemed like this answer surprised her but she understood. I then went home and let my wife and daughter know and Julie asked me to please decline since she wanted to be the first to be walked down the aisle and since she asked first, thinks that I have a stronger commitment to her. I agreed since this is more of an Us thing rather than an after-though like Marie's wedding.

I then sent a message to Marie letting her know of my decision with a brief explanation and even offered options like her mom or step-dad to walk with her. I also reassured her that I'd still be with her there and support her with anything.

She almost immediately called me crying and telling me how much of a horrible father I am and how I apparently have always played favorite, which hurt me since it's simply not true, I love them both. I tried to explain my reasoning but she said it doesn't matter and doesn't care about my excuses. She ended up hanging up and my ex has been sending me tons of texts berating me and calling me names.

Now word has spread to some family members and they are calling me a deadbeat and trash, but my wife and daughter agree that my decision is the only fair one and shouldn't be pressured into doing something I don't want.

I'm starting to feel guilty but I'm honestly unsure, AITA for refusing to walk my daughter down the aisle?