Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Michigan's the best team in the Big 10, Iowa was down to 7 players due to Covid and injuries and she still put up those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Extremely local news but with Evansville on a downswing their crosstown (public) rival the University of Southern Indiana announced they're moving to d1. The Screaming Eagles, first head coaching job of Bruce Pearl, are coming from the Great Lakes Valley Conference. They are one of the better schools in d2, not quite as strong as UE was when they moved back in the 70s but still a contender in lots of sports.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

tadashi posted:

Kentucky
:snoop:

:hai:

lol gently caress Duke

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/SDCoyotes/status/1490342777380552706

Also: big upset chance for Auburn tonight at Arkansas. Escaped Georgia without "starting" PG Zep Jasper, had to make do with Cousy Award finalist "backup" Wendell Green Jr. (they're really deep) Jasper's availability (non-COVID illness) hasn't been announced for tonight afaik. Good opponent, loud crowd, due for a loss -- fine with me if they get it out of the way tonight.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern barely beats an indiana team that had several players suspended for mysterious reasons and only had 7 scholarship players available and they still tried to give it away as indiana's few available players were barely able to run up and down the court by the end.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
But your cats won, right?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

But your cats won, right?

drat right

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Then forget the rest. Go celebrate!

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Rank arkansas again imo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Auburn could loose 2 at this point and still be in the talks for the #1 overall seed. 2-12 or so could all end up on the 1 line at this point in the season, and the Zags and Purdue are merely in the driver's seat.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if Purdue can beat Michigan tomorrow, it might be the best stretch of Purdue basketball of my lifetime

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Peanut President posted:

Extremely local news but with Evansville on a downswing their crosstown (public) rival the University of Southern Indiana announced they're moving to d1. The Screaming Eagles, first head coaching job of Bruce Pearl, are coming from the Great Lakes Valley Conference. They are one of the better schools in d2, not quite as strong as UE was when they moved back in the 70s but still a contender in lots of sports.

They'll join the Ohio Valley Conference in 2022-2023. The OVC has or will lose Belmont, Murray St, and Austin Peay over the last few seasons. Along with USI Arkansas-Little Rock will join in 22-23 as well.

It should be a good match, and hopefully Evansville will continue to host the OVC tournament. It's been a good event there for the last few years, along with the DII Elite 8.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apparently the Horizon League has banned UIC from the conference tournaments because they are transferring to the MVC.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Good opponent, loud crowd, due for a loss -- fine with me if they get it out of the way tonight.
All according to plan...
But yeah some problems were very visible in Zep Jasper's second missed game. Distribution was disrupted; he's also their best on-ball defender. Not really complaining when his replacement, again, is regarded as one of the best PGs in the country, but if they're going to disappoint in March, that might be how it happens.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Apparently the Horizon League has banned UIC from the conference tournaments because they are transferring to the MVC.

I can appreciate the pettiness, but this won’t really affect UIC since they are bad and would likely be one and done anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
gently caress off ohio state

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I can appreciate the pettiness, but this won’t really affect UIC since they are bad and would likely be one and done anyway.

it's kind of a lovely thing to do to those players

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

every UCONN basketball stat is absurd
https://twitter.com/alexaphilippou/status/1491592849430876162?s=20&t=ijcCZJ7ZRBc5nfh-HpH0Jw

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I can accept and even expect Houston to drop a few games at some point with all the depth gone, but to SMU? Ugh.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

dirty shrimp money posted:

I can accept and even expect Houston to drop a few games at some point with all the depth gone, but to SMU? Ugh.

I mean, Tech dropped a game to OU and got absolutely blown out in the 2nd half. That's what we normally do to teams.

It happens, though. Basically makes the conference championship a one-horse race with KU out 2 games ahead.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas beat KU at home and I'm starting to wonder if Chris Beard is the real deal and all the stuff about him actually being Not Hot poo poo At All is just Tech fans being salty.

This team is certainly better than last year, if nothing else.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tech fans hired Chris Beard and every single moment he was there they knew he was going back to his alma mater eventually and they still got so hoot n hollerin mad they all spent their time surrounding his bus to flip him off when he came into town.

ON the flip side what else is there to do in Lubbock

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
This year's Rutgers definitely has the weirdest resume of all time.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Cats handled the Gators, but big story is Tyty Washington going down with a leg injury. Not sure if it's knee or ankle but it didn't look good. This team has had terrible injury luck. So many sprained ankles already, now this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Clones just dropping games left and right. Started the season 10-0 and probably won’t make the tournament now. Not sure if the Big 12 just all figured out how to play against them, or if they’re just tired. Either way, the season went from huge surprise to actually how I actually thought the season would go.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This Kansas team feels a lot like those "bounced in the first round" years

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ACC continues to be absolutely terrible and NC State has found its niche at the very bottom. First lost to Pitt since the Panthers entered the ACC, I think.

Meanwhile Virginia might manage to sneak in to the tournament after all, but with the conference this weak and the shame of losing to State on their resume they're gonna have to beat at least one more decent team.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

elentar posted:

ACC continues to be absolutely terrible and NC State has found its niche at the very bottom. First lost to Pitt since the Panthers entered the ACC, I think.

Meanwhile Virginia might manage to sneak in to the tournament after all, but with the conference this weak and the shame of losing to State on their resume they're gonna have to beat at least one more decent team.

Think we need to beat Duke again, get to 13 wins in conference, and make the ACCT final to make it. Our OOC was bruuuutal

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Cats handled the Gators, but big story is Tyty Washington going down with a leg injury. Not sure if it's knee or ankle but it didn't look good. This team has had terrible injury luck. So many sprained ankles already, now this.

That being said I am stil wouldn't play Shaedon Sharpe. Guy could still declare and probably get drafted having never suited up for UK.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rutgers is going to the tournament.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

This year's Rutgers definitely has the weirdest resume of all time.

Glad you aren’t dead KJI!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Hooray go Hokies and gently caress UVA always and forever.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Nur_Neerg posted:

Hooray go Hokies and gently caress UVA always and forever.

Bit rude this

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Ungratek posted:

Bit rude this

<3

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/ajbrehm24/status/1493628829843304455?t=-JDEjkUq76OYOSEg3t1ccw&s=19

Proof that some of us are justified when we complain about officiating.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

https://twitter.com/ajbrehm24/status/1493628829843304455?t=-JDEjkUq76OYOSEg3t1ccw&s=19

Only the teams in the top left and bottom right quadrants, tbh.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

This seems nuts to me because here are the FT comparisons for Mizzou's games since league play started (Mizzou totals on the left):

Kentucky: 10-26
Alabama: 27-16
Arkansas: 14-26
A&M: 15-22
Ole Miss: 14-13
Alabama: 5-29 (!!)
Auburn: 12-11
Iowa St.: 18-15
Florida: 17-26
A&M: 15-21
Vanderbilt: 12-35 (!!)
Ole Miss: 16-17

Tigers only win the FT battle four times and of those four only one is by more than three attempts

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Big Basketball got to 'em it's deleted

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Fun fact I saw in some coverage of Auburn's game against A&M, featuring Walker Kessler's second triple-double with 12 blocks. He's leading the country in block percentage (of all opponent's 2-point attempts when on floor) at over 20% (would be the highest in like 15 years, at least), with Western Kentucky's Jamarion Sharp next at 17%. Kessler stands at 7-1, Sharp 7-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://highpointpanthers.com/news/2022/2/16/athletic-dept-tubby-smith-to-step-down-son-gg-smith-to-take-over-as-head-coach.aspx

Tubby Smith stepping down as head coach of High Point. His son GG will take over. From the article it says he contracted Covid a second time and has been away from the program for an extended time already.

So glad he got to come back to Rupp and be honored with his name in the rafters. I've always liked Tubby and still pulled for him after he left Kentucky. Wishing him the best in retirement.