Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I restarted a couple days ago to do a strength build with zweihander and I'm enjoying it a lot more than my previous dex/uchigatana run. It's my first time through the game so I don't know all the epic tips and tricks like the people who have done a ton of runs over the last 10-ish years but timing a huge overhead swing just right to pound an enemy into the ground before they can reach you is so satisfying.

it’s the best, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

I restarted a couple days ago to do a strength build with zweihander and I'm enjoying it a lot more than my previous dex/uchigatana run. It's my first time through the game so I don't know all the epic tips and tricks like the people who have done a ton of runs over the last 10-ish years but timing a huge overhead swing just right to pound an enemy into the ground before they can reach you is so satisfying.

Pancaking enemies with giant swords is awesome OP

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

P-Mack posted:

Lol I think I fat fingered some buttons while I was running to the ladder and did that by mistake, also I unequipped my shield somehow???

you have two weapon slots for each hand you change with the left and right d-pad, so you probably equipped the empty second slot on your shield

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

str builds kick so much rear end. fuckin pancake everything

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I did aa Z run my first go through and I personally don't recommend pancaking everything as a first run as you will end up reliant on that and on other runs where you don't have that you'll be a newbie again. STR runs are great but something like the cleaver or mans serpent great sword is a better choice for a beginner imo!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The Mace that the cleric starts with is also very good if you want to do a Str build with a shield. It has surprisingly good scaling

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

EmmyOk posted:

I did aa Z run my first go through and I personally don't recommend pancaking everything as a first run as you will end up reliant on that and on other runs where you don't have that you'll be a newbie again. STR runs are great but something like the cleaver or mans serpent great sword is a better choice for a beginner imo!
on my first playthrough, I got a lucky BK UGS drop and made the mistake to focus my next 10 or more level ups to wield it, gimping my health and stamina

Then because it's slow and the R2 sucks, I only ever used jump attacks. Which are effective! But I didn't learn anything lol. Gwyn finally made me switch to a faster weapon because I could not deal with his aggression.

EDIT: I should say that I switched from the Claymore to the UGS and that was the big mistake, I was starting to learn to appreciate the 'more's excellent moveset, using both sweeps and pokes, and use spacing and shield smartly etc. but then I pivoted into UGS JUMPS ONLY and that was so bad, in retrospect

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

swinging a gigantic sword ftw. my fave run of DS3 was def the fume ultra greatsword one

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I found my first playthrough file on the ps3 the other day.

I was stuck at O&S with:

Pyro class with no upgraded pyro glove.

Queelags fury sword unupgraded.
A loving mess of stat allocation
Fat rolling for days

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i need to get back to my mlgs run in 1, i got stalled out at artorias. mlgs is so fun, its all the best parts of a gs build with all the utility spells too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

all my first runs are with magic. DeS magic ftmfw

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Fungah! posted:

i need to get back to my mlgs run in 1, i got stalled out at artorias. mlgs is so fun, its all the best parts of a gs build with all the utility spells too

It's so fun. My main gripe is that you don't get it until almost the end of the game.

I did a NG+ run with it after finishing my sorcery playthrough (Dark bead shotgun ftw)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

It's awesome. Ds3 has a bunch of greatswords with slightly different movesets and perks (fp regen, strong against different enemy types, etc), last time I played I ended up with like 4-5 different fully upgraded ones

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
claymore is the most epic & badass all-around good weapon for noobs and pros alike

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ringed Knight Twin Greatswords :getin:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

claymore is the most epic & badass all-around good weapon for noobs and pros alike

this. best weapon in the game imo

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

idk if it was the best but dragon greatsword was fun as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

I found my first playthrough file on the ps3 the other day.

I was stuck at O&S with:

Pyro class with no upgraded pyro glove.

Queelags fury sword unupgraded.
A loving mess of stat allocation
Fat rolling for days

i also used a queelag fury sword on my first playthrough, it was epic. I could never manage to keep 10 humanity around though due to being a noob.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

scary ghost dog posted:

The best first run/noob weapon is definitely the lightning claymore

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DS2 is again the outlier because the Claymore is only so-so while the Mace is OP as hell

Special shout-out to the lowly Spear too which has stabs with high range and a strike damage sweep R2 with mega damage, some of my favorite unsung moveset heroes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CyberPingu posted:

The Mace that the cleric starts with is also very good if you want to do a Str build with a shield. It has surprisingly good scaling

i used the mace from cleric in my entire ds2 run lol. lightning infusion...

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
my yhorm's really big loving machete run was my favorite in DS3

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's time to talk about how hosed up it is that the heide knight sword never made it to ds3. if something like freides absolutely sick scythe set isn't in elden ring it's gonna make me mad lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my first run of ds3 i wasnt gonna do a str run and then the bigass machete dropped in the undead settlement and i knew gods holy word had spoken

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Oh? I simply use the broken short sword and no armor, shield, spells, etc. You guys need a big old sword? lmfao. compensating much?? Now I must return to Yugioh-- you know, a game that actually stimulates and challenges my mind.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
[Floating above this thread with a throbbing huge brain that is sending psychokinetic shockwaves across the land] From Software? Perhaps you'd get some bitches From SomeWhere if you simply played better games.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

[Floating above this thread with a throbbing huge brain that is sending psychokinetic shockwaves across the land] From Software? Perhaps you'd get some bitches From SomeWhere if you simply played better games.

lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hizke posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hizke posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hizke posted:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Hizke posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stop grinding for drops in Dark Souls and start grinding your dick in dark holes

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hizke posted:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Hizke posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Stop grinding for drops in Dark Souls and start grinding your dick in dark holes

lmao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hizke posted:

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hizke posted:

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Hizke posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted: