Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Another stupid question.
Anyone know what the widest tires are that will fit on a 2003 GMC Envoy?
Guy I work with might buy the stock tires from my Tacoma. His are 245 something 17, mine are 265 something 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't know about the max width but gonna need some more specifics there. No idea if those are even in the same weight rating, which is kind of a big deal on a truck.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Off the top of my head, you're probably 245/65R17 on the Envoy, 265/65R17 on the Taco. Adding a significant amount of sidewall height with the larger tire, so I would be surprised if it doesn't rub on something. Load index on the Taco tires should be higher than the Envoy stock fitment, I want to say they're generally 102 or 104 load vs probably 109/111 on the Taco. I can follow up when I get back to work in the AM if you're that interested.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks. If you don't mind that'd be dope. It seems like my tires might be a bit too big, but if work dude wants them, I'd rather sell them to him vs trade them in for like 50 bucks each or deal with selling them on FB or Craigslist and dealing with that poo poo.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
245/65R17 105 S is minimum on the Envoy. Assuming you're talking about a Tacoma TRD, they're 265/65R17 110 S for base specs. Load wise they'd be fine, but like I said fitment might be sketchy going that much bigger. Biggest worry would be around the upper suspension components in the front.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PitViper posted:

245/65R17 105 S is minimum on the Envoy. Assuming you're talking about a Tacoma TRD, they're 265/65R17 110 S for base specs. Load wise they'd be fine, but like I said fitment might be sketchy going that much bigger. Biggest worry would be around the upper suspension components in the front.

Hey, thanks for going out of your way to check this out for me!
I guess now we just need to figure out if they'll rub or not. My biggest concern was with the fronts as well because of steering clearances.

Thanks again fellow goon :)!

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Hello tire thread - I am here crossposting from the EV thread:

quote:

Snowtirechat:

I just put a deposit down on a lovely taycan Audi e-tron GT and will take delivery in the next week or so. Despite purchasing in NY state, when I inquired about buying a set of winter tires to be mounted in place of the default summer tires, the dealer acted like I was speaking a different language - "You mean all seasons? What are winter tires?"

I've called around a bit locally (couple local tire places, Porsche and Audi dealers) and checked the big online tire places and it seems like no one has great options for buying tires in these sizes that don't turn to stone when the temperature drops below 45 - apparently most of the local tire places are flummoxed by the different wheel sizes in the front and back.

I could use some help evaluating my options:

1) Local tire place says they can get Nokian Hakkapeliitta 10s in the right sizes. I've never driven on studded tires before and most of the recommendations I've read for winter performance EV tires don't have studs. Am I going to tank my range/performance and deal with ungodly road noise with these things?

2) Different Audi dealer recommends putting Pirelli Sottozero 3s on the front and Pirelli Scorpion Winters on the back . How problematic is it to mix and match between front and back? The parts guy says the tread pattern is similar but I'm skeptical.

3) I emailed Pirelli about their P Zero Winters which I've seen recommended before. They said they're in production but backordered and have no ETA for US delivery (I guess it's like shopping for snow shovels/winter coats right now - inventory has already swapped over to spring/summer stuff?). This option would be to take delivery on a warm day and just avoid driving until the weather is warm enough, then revisit the winter tire question in the fall when hopefully production has ramped up again.

4) Just buy a set of all-seasons and live with the compromises (I like this option least).

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Tire sizes are 245/45/20 front and 285/40/20 rear.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's me again :P
I did find this owner's forum and thread.
https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/lets-talk-winter-wheels-tires.2824/
I can't read it all myself for a little bit but maybe it has some ideas too?

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Charles posted:

It's me again :P
I did find this owner's forum and thread.
https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/lets-talk-winter-wheels-tires.2824/
I can't read it all myself for a little bit but maybe it has some ideas too?

Thank you for the disproportionate amount of time you are spending researching my tire issue. Lots of good suggestions in that thread, but none of the options other folks are using seem to be in stock anywhere. There must be a few container ships worth of winter tires circling off the coast of the port of LA right now because nothing seems to be in stock anywhere in the 285/40/20 size.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
The e-Tron seems to suffer for the same reason Tesla and other premium brands suffer, stupid tire sizes means super limited options for tires, especially with supply chain issues right now. I would absolutely not mix tire models on something like that, even within the same brand. The best winter tire you can get is whatever you can get right now that matches both those sizes, unfortunately. that 285/40R20 is a rough one, I'm not finding much of anything available in winter tires that size right now. Tire Rack and Simple Tire both have nothing listed for that size in a dedicated winter (and holy crap does the Simple Tire website suck balls).

Are you sure those are the right sizes? They're not matching any sizing guides I've looked at.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Can you run a - 1 setup for your winters?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

smooth jazz posted:

Can you run a - 1 setup for your winters?

Yeah I was curious if anybody in that thread figured out if a smaller wheel fits over the brakes.
I'm wondering if tire manufacturers shifted away from winter tire production until it hits fall again. Obviously it will be fall pretty soon in the southern hemisphere but not sure if that affects availability here.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

PitViper posted:

The e-Tron seems to suffer for the same reason Tesla and other premium brands suffer, stupid tire sizes means super limited options for tires, especially with supply chain issues right now. I would absolutely not mix tire models on something like that, even within the same brand. The best winter tire you can get is whatever you can get right now that matches both those sizes, unfortunately. that 285/40R20 is a rough one, I'm not finding much of anything available in winter tires that size right now. Tire Rack and Simple Tire both have nothing listed for that size in a dedicated winter (and holy crap does the Simple Tire website suck balls).

Are you sure those are the right sizes? They're not matching any sizing guides I've looked at.

I mean, I'm not staring at the sticker on the B pillar right now, but those are the sizes all of the websites that allow a "search by vehicle" option seem to point to, and they're the sizes owners are discussing in the owner thread Charles linked above. I've texted my sales guy to ask him for a picture to confirm, but I'd be surprised if multiple independent sources were wrong. I think it's just a weird set of tire sizes that only the Taycan and e-tron GT share, and neither are exactly super high volume so few places stock them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How about 275/40R20? It'll be slightly narrower and shorter but probably within the realm of the deviation between different manufacturers on the same 285/40R20.

I run 245/45R20 and 275/40R20 as a staggered setup on my C10, though admittedly only ever with summer tires.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 15, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think 255/50/19 all around works with less than 1% speedometer error and actually has some tires in stock. Just need wheels. Or does unstaggering mess it up?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is not really at all helpful but I have PZero Winter Elect on my 4S and they've been pretty good.

They have a high speed rating unlike the Nokians, I guess they're more a "cold weather performance tyre" than a snow tyre but have been fine through a couple of winters in a ski resort in the Alps. Totally unscientific but I think maybe a bit better than the Pilot Alpins I had on my previous car

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I'm a little reluctant to deviate from OEM spec just because of the stock situation, and I've got another car I can use if I HAVE to drive anywhere, so I'm leaning towards waiting until I can find some Pirelli Zero Winters in stock like I've seen recommended here and in several other places for this car.

It's supposed to be a reasonably warm and sunny day on Saturday (50ish degrees or so) when I take delivery, so I think the current plan will be to drive it home on the summers, then hunker down and limit playing with the new toy until the weather starts to warm up in another month or two, then revisit in the fall when hopefully winter rubber isn't in such short supply.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

NJ Deac posted:

Thanks for all of the input, everyone. I'm a little reluctant to deviate from OEM spec just because of the stock situation, and I've got another car I can use if I HAVE to drive anywhere, so I'm leaning towards waiting until I can find some Pirelli Zero Winters in stock like I've seen recommended here and in several other places for this car.

It's supposed to be a reasonably warm and sunny day on Saturday (50ish degrees or so) when I take delivery, so I think the current plan will be to drive it home on the summers, then hunker down and limit playing with the new toy until the weather starts to warm up in another month or two, then revisit in the fall when hopefully winter rubber isn't in such short supply.

I don't know what your plans for the car are, but I expect most of NY has the same weather problem Michigan does, which is that in March and even April you can get 65 degrees one day and two inches of snow the next. I (try to) run all-season tires for most of the year and winter tires between roughly Thanksgiving and early spring. If your dealer can put all-weathers on there for you without ripping you off, I'd take them up on that, instead of risking needing to put summer tires on snow or ice.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't know what your plans for the car are, but I expect most of NY has the same weather problem Michigan does, which is that in March and even April you can get 65 degrees one day and two inches of snow the next. I (try to) run all-season tires for most of the year and winter tires between roughly Thanksgiving and early spring. If your dealer can put all-weathers on there for you without ripping you off, I'd take them up on that, instead of risking needing to put summer tires on snow or ice.

I considered that, but unfortunately the dealer wasn't interested in the "not ripping me off" part. They were, however, perfectly willing to sell me a set of all seasons for an additional $2,500 to go with the summer tires the car comes with, and no option to trade out the summers for a credit (so I'd be left with a set of summers and a set of all seasons). I politely declined.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

NJ Deac posted:

I considered that, but unfortunately the dealer wasn't interested in the "not ripping me off" part. They were, however, perfectly willing to sell me a set of all seasons for an additional $2,500 to go with the summer tires the car comes with, and no option to trade out the summers for a credit (so I'd be left with a set of summers and a set of all seasons). I politely declined.

The term all season in the US anyway is a giant marketing term. Unless it's a summer performance or a dedicated winter it's an all season. Most all terrains are considered all season even tho the cheap chunky mud tires will kill u in a snow storm. There are all seasons that are great in wet and snow conditions, like the cross climates. But even some marked with the m+s like the cross climates suvk in actual snow. There are thoes that absolutely suck full stop in everything Like the NTW Epics but they are technically all seasons. U get what you pay for.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 18, 2022

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Woops quote not edit

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just clicked enter on a set of 5 of these things:

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Falken/WildPeak+AT3W/28034721?vehicleid=206486

I expect them to be here in a week or two. Hopefully I don't regret this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was very happy with the AT3Ws I had on my WJ. They're a good choice.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Glad to hear that at least one person that I "internet Know" is backing up my decision. I think I might even have a few options for selling the factory tires that don't require dealing with shitheads on fakebook mp or Kijiji, or whatever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I found out last week that my car's tires are inflated to about 40 PSI instead of the 32 they are supposed to be at. I'm going to let them down to the right pressure, but are there any trouble signs I should check for? I've driven them like 6-8k miles on presumably this pressure since I hadn't checked after they got installed. Uneven treadwear focused on the middle I would guess? I learned my lesson about checking them a couple installations back on my other car because the quick tire shop in town inflated them to 50PSI instead of 30/28 but I didn't think to check this car until I was airing up another car.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found out last week that my car's tires are inflated to about 40 PSI instead of the 32 they are supposed to be at. I'm going to let them down to the right pressure, but are there any trouble signs I should check for? I've driven them like 6-8k miles on presumably this pressure since I hadn't checked after they got installed. Uneven treadwear focused on the middle I would guess? I learned my lesson about checking them a couple installations back on my other car because the quick tire shop in town inflated them to 50PSI instead of 30/28 but I didn't think to check this car until I was airing up another car.

It's fine. Radial tires aren't as sensitive to pressure as bias-ply.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They'll be fine.

Be sure to recheck them whenever the seasons change. They'll go low when it turns cold and high when it warms up.

Set the pressure when the tires are at ambient temp. The door pressures assume they're not hot and the pressure will go up as you drive.

Check your spare when you do this too. Nobody ever thinks of their spare tire.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good idea on the spare, and needing to re-check at least a couple times a year. I'm bad about that.

I do know that pressure changes with temperature, but this is definitely an overfilling rather than temperature differential. They're about 25% overfilled and the air density difference between 0f and 100f is about 22%. It's probably not as bad up here where we're lucky to break freezing this time of year as down there where it was a good 60 degrees or so, but still not great and I take this car down to warmer climes fairly often.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No offense meant, I leaned towards oversharing vs leaving information unsaid.

Personal record from a tire shop was 50/32/32/15. :wtc:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

honda whisperer posted:

Personal record from a tire shop was 50/32/32/15. :wtc:

Averages out to 32.25PSI, within manufacturer tolerances. Service order closed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I always ask the dealers or tire shops to fill the tires up to the manufacturer recommended specs from the manual. However, they always fill them to the spec on the door sticker which is about 15% higher than the recommended specs. I guess its a result of the Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What car is this that has different specs from two sources?

I think everything I've owned in recent history makes a point to specifically not list a pressure in the manual - they always default to "inflate to the door jamb sticker" since the pressures might vary with different wheel/tire option packages.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Audi has two published tire pressures it's ridiculous.
The door jamb placard quotes max load pressures and the manual states normal load. It's like 12 psi different.

This is a big reason why people say Audi ride quality sucks; they're all riding on over inflated tires.

Dealer will only inflate per the door jamb placard so I have to deflate to nominal pressure myself after every service like a peasant.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That's a thing with several European makes, FYI. Most older VW/BMW/Mercedes will have an inflation table on the sticker rather than just front/rear. Not as common in the last 10 years, but definitely in stuff that's 15-20 years old.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smooth jazz posted:

Audi has two published tire pressures it's ridiculous.
The door jamb placard quotes max load pressures and the manual states normal load. It's like 12 psi different.

This is a big reason why people say Audi ride quality sucks; they're all riding on over inflated tires.

Dealer will only inflate per the door jamb placard so I have to deflate to nominal pressure myself after every service like a peasant.
In my RS5 it's worse than that. The manual lists "normal" and "maximum" load pressures. The door sticker is even higher than that. It's just shy of the maximum pressure listed on the tire.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How much pressure should be in my tires?

Dumb question, but I've never really thought about it.

The sticker inside the driver's door says 29 psi for my Tacoma. But thats for the factory tires. I have some A/T tires on there now, same size as stock but different make/model. The tire shop aired them up to 34 psi which is a few psi higher than the sticker.

Are there any rules of thumb or whatever the gently caress that says...... anything about non-factory tire air pressure?
When I first installed them, I thought if anything the two front tires looked a bit low, but when I checked the pressure they weren't. In fact they were as I mentioned a few psi higher than recommended for factory. I feel like if I lower them to 29 psi they'll look weird or be too low and either wear funny or otherwise not perform the way they should on road.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Toyo has a very exhaustive PDF on their side for load/inflation tables, if you google for it. You'd want to know the factory tire load index and recommended inflation, find the load capacity weight that that corresponds to, then use the load index of the current tire, and find the pressure that matches the same load capacity weight for that load index.

Or, honestly, just run the factory pressure. It'll probably be close enough, unless you've drastically changed the load index from OE to current. The only time I'd search it is going from standard p-metric tires to an LT tire on a smaller pickup. You should never go lower load index from OE, but generally most tire shops should catch that when selling tires.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Recently inherited a TSX Sportwagen from my old man, and I want to make it a bit more fun to whip. I was thinking of copping some BF Goodrich gforce comp 2, or a similar ultra high performance all season, but I was wondering if there would be a noticeable difference between those uhp all seasons and their summer equivalentat least in terms of fun. I live in new york, so I like the idea of an a/s for the buffer seasons when the temp drops 20 degrees between night and day.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My experience has been that while the performance difference between top-notch summers and top-notch all-seasons is measurable, and very real on a track, you are unlikely to encounter it on the street except in terms of the number of feet required for a panic stop.

I run all-seasons in the summer and winters in the winter for exactly the reason you describe. Those transition seasons where you can get snow and low 70s in the same week make summer tires hard to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on one car, and Pirelli Pzero A/S+ performance all seasons on the other, and honestly you won't (and shouldn't) hit the limits on a good UHP A/S tire on the street. I'd run the Pzero AS+ or the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on a street car if it's something you'll drive in all weather. The summer tire car only gets taken out on nice days in the summer and gets parked for the winter (MN here).