Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I dropped a put on them on Wednesday expecting something like this. Was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
https://twitter.com/Thunderflex/status/1493036737425149959?t=FbclfkzWx26KJFpHW-e-ww&s=19

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:hmmyes:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

But what if number goes down?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Remember like six months ago when people were all in on $GOON and like the thread had a total of something like … a lot of money in on it with an average of like over 1.5-2 a share?

gently caress that’s a lot of money gone.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I think most people were like me and buying the dips and selling at the peaks when they were fairly predictable. Maybe one or two suffered a huge loss but they're dumb idiots who don't matter.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I remember that third or fourth peak never came right around when people did a roll call of just how many gewns had a shitload of money in it. It’s been such a slow deflation back down to less than it was prior to the great pump and dump retail money injection of early 2021 (ie: GME) that I am honestly curious how much money has been lost in this thread alone on it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm sure a few people here have had to get a "Medallion Signature Guarantee" for transferring shares of stocks, bonds etc. However, finding someone to do this "Medallion Signature Guarantee" in person is nearly impossible for anyone living outside of the US.

With that in mind, has anyone used this service before? https://esignatureguarantee.com/ - is it legit?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

jeeves posted:

I remember that third or fourth peak never came right around when people did a roll call of just how many gewns had a shitload of money in it. It’s been such a slow deflation back down to less than it was prior to the great pump and dump retail money injection of early 2021 (ie: GME) that I am honestly curious how much money has been lost in this thread alone on it.

I had a couple thousand shares at some point, overall made about $500 realized. I did hold on to 100 shares for lols which are looking more like sads now but oh well.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I got in and out within a few weeks because it smelled funny and there were too many goons on the train. whew

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Right now overall in my gambling account in down about 10% from this time last year and looking at it that way makes me realize I suck at this and I hate it and I'm done. Going on a trip later this week and I'm closing everything out and holding cash and eventually buying index funds when I get back.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'm down 30% but all my gambing investments are in things that I believe in. Solar stocks, renewables, meat substitutes etc.

It's been a bad year for them but long term if they don't succeed I don't have a lot of hope for the rest of the economy either.

I went way too hard into maxeon. Other than that and sunnova I am doing OK.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I made a killing in RYCEY and the memes for weed, AMC, and BBW, thanks to the spring of memes.

$GOON and AHT balanced it out to zero.

In summary: the dumbest people on reddit are better at this than the smartest goon.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I made a lot of money selling options to people who were gambling on meme / weed / etc.

My net best and net worst trade:

SNDL returning 3.63% against collateral...per day. My biggest regret here is not recognizing that IV like this is not forever. I should have been more aggressive and just sold a longer contract or sold at a lower strike.

AMC I bought at $9.39 just to roll options with, so while I made money here, this option got assigned when it spiked to $62.00. Whoops!

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 14, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

AMC I bought at $9.39 just to roll options with, so while I made money here, this option got assigned when it spiked to $62.00. Whoops!

I sold two $14 covered calls, and then rolled them to $17 right before it spiked to $60+ and I was furious with myself. If I had just held onto them slightly longer I could've bought myself the new motorcycle I was eyeing.

I think my cost basis was also around $9 so I still made a good return, but not meme-levels.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I dropped a put on them on Wednesday expecting something like this. Was not disappointed.

I was going to wait to see if my CLF option would top $200 for a nice round doubling of my money, but I think I'm going to get off the train at merely 85%

And then I will go back into my hole until I remember I have options trading available again and get the urge to gamble.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

finally bought some teslas

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've lost $1266.94 on NDRA, -75.10% on my cost basis (current share price .3907). Gross, but not devastating in actual cash losses, because I've been careful about how much I put in.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

movax posted:

Oh, and someone else posted about it, IIRC pmchem, AMKR to get in on the packaging action.

yeah that was me. they just reported a nice earnings beat, are solid green after hours.

https://twitter.com/EPSGUID/status/1493330088389234694?s=20&t=77ZHH6-kFSkXBma8S7dxvw

I might just roll with $PSI ETF though, if I'm buying semis right now

leper, surprised you took the NDRA bait, you're always posting so levelheaded in bfc!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

leper, surprised you took the NDRA bait, you're always posting so levelheaded in bfc!

I'm willing to gamble with some money from time to time! My schtick here is to throw cold water and be a voice of reason, but I felt (and still feel) as though Endra had a decent to good shot, as gambles go.

The money I've lost on NDRA is absolutely dwarfed by the money I made on my 401(k)s and IRA accounts. It's not quite meaningless, but it's within the bounds of what we'd call "a rounding error."

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I was waiting all weekend to sell my poo poo, sold this morning for a decent profit, and then planned to wait until the market finished dipping due to the ukraine instability.
Then I was bored so an hour later I saw everything go down and rebought in like a dumbass. Kept going down! I got cold feet and sold for my biggest loss yet (still peanuts) because shits gonna be whacky in the next couple days maybe.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm deeply regretting stop my day trading and selling my energy stocks last month.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

I was waiting all weekend to sell my poo poo, sold this morning for a decent profit, and then planned to wait until the market finished dipping due to the ukraine instability.
Then I was bored so an hour later I saw everything go down and rebought in like a dumbass. Kept going down! I got cold feet and sold for my biggest loss yet (still peanuts) because shits gonna be whacky in the next couple days maybe.
Maybe just relax and stop looking at number?

Stock futures jump on report that Russia is returning some troops to bases

quote:

U.S. stock futures surged on Tuesday morning after the Russian Defense Ministry reportedly announced that it had begun returning some troops to deployment bases after training exercises near the Ukrainian border.

Futures tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 309 points, or 0.89%. S&P 500 futures climbed 1.3% and Nasdaq 100 futures advanced 1.9%.

In addition to the Ukraine drama, investors will get another look at inflation Tuesday. The January producer price index, which measures final-demand wholesale prices, will be released at 8:30 and is expected to show a monthly gain of 0.5%.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 15, 2022

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm deeply regretting stop my day trading and selling my energy stocks last month.

The covered call I sold on my energy stocks a few months ago is currently -700% loss. The underlying shares will still sell at a good profit, but ouch that stings.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Subvisual Haze posted:

The covered call I sold on my energy stocks a few months ago is currently -700% loss. The underlying shares will still sell at a good profit, but ouch that stings.

If you think energy will go down over the summer you can roll the call (that is buy it back and sell a further dated one at the same strike, your broker should let you do this as a single action). You should get a credit for this, as in you'll get more money. Of course if the shares go under the strike and keep dipping in the mean time you don't get to sell your shares at 100xstrike price.

Don't forget you are selling the 100 shares for the strike on expiration! I know I've done that before with covered calls on my first pass. Include it in your paper loss (or more take it from it). You should still have a real profit no matter what if you wrote a covered call and it goes ITM. *exception being you wrote it ITM expecting it to go down and it didn't. there might be more exceptions but they are all going to be silly.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 15, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: energy, cali edition

Mildly curious if PCE will follow it's annual trend of crashing under $10 during wildfire season (july/Aug/sept) and then popping back up to $12 (+20%) after it rains the second time in like November

Not really confident in this pattern but seems to be holding true. Also you can't predict rain patterns with any kind of reliability. The laws passed after the paradise fire severely limit how much liability pg&e has for fire damage, and while they do have to pay out for the santa rosa fires that's because the law didn't go into effect until after that fire started

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Oh it's fine, it's just a reminder to me that covered calls do cap your upside. I essentially sold a $1 covered call on a strike price 10% OTM after which the underlying has jumped nearly 30%. It's gone so deep into the money that even rolling it up and out would still require a (less) in the money call. So barring a huge crash by Friday I'll just let my shares be taken and settle with a lesser profit. Taking profits is still taking profits.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jokes on you, I’m buying all the $GOON stocks you sold at incredibly low low prices!! I’ll post a picture of my yacht once it moons to $7 a share.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

why is PFE such a stinker

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

why is PFE such a stinker

Covid ended and since the vaccine is the only thing they make there's no reason to invest in them

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Re: energy, cali edition

Mildly curious if PCE will follow it's annual trend of crashing under $10 during wildfire season (july/Aug/sept) and then popping back up to $12 (+20%) after it rains the second time in like November

Not really confident in this pattern but seems to be holding true. Also you can't predict rain patterns with any kind of reliability. The laws passed after the paradise fire severely limit how much liability pg&e has for fire damage, and while they do have to pay out for the santa rosa fires that's because the law didn't go into effect until after that fire started

https://twitter.com/kronayne/status/1493336443254558723?t=7dIwWGc8bac50J7gTx88ig&s=19

I would stay far far away from PCE

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Re: Energy covered calls

Coincidentally, I decided to look at my brokerage account after ignoring it for a few years… decided to write a cash secured put for XOM on Friday (May, 75). Maybe it will get assigned or maybe it will expire. I wouldn’t mind owning more of Exxon so either is okay. It is fun watching the numbers go up and down.

nelson fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 15, 2022

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Please explain why you think you'll own more shares on a covered call you wrote being assigned

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

DoubleT2172 posted:

Please explain why you think you'll own more shares on a covered call you wrote being assigned

I am an idiot and typed the wrong thing. I meant cash secured put.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

nelson posted:

I am an idiot and typed the wrong thing. I meant cash secured put.

Ok just being sure, was worried about you for a sec!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Adding more Jan 2023 TBT calls.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Oh it's fine, it's just a reminder to me that covered calls do cap your upside. I essentially sold a $1 covered call on a strike price 10% OTM after which the underlying has jumped nearly 30%. It's gone so deep into the money that even rolling it up and out would still require a (less) in the money call. So barring a huge crash by Friday I'll just let my shares be taken and settle with a lesser profit. Taking profits is still taking profits.

You can roll, I had AMD covered at 125 for a good 6 months. Finally uncovered, was collecting around $100/month rolling it. I guess the question is what was the goal of selling the call:
A) to get payed extra and sell the shares at the strike price?
B) protection for the short call and plan to play it like a naked call.

you have options available to you, they change your risk as your shares are still covered and if it gets cut in half you are still out all of that and never got to sell at strike x100 but your broker also wont let you just sell them if it starts tanking without closing the call first. There is nothing wrong with just accepting assignment, you have time though so think if you want to roll it out for another week / month and get some more premium selling theta. Though that may be difficult if it's this week, normally you want to roll with around 20 days left 14 at the lowest, makes rolling easier as gamma isn't loving you. Do not roll if you are not collecting a credit.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Asts chat broke the channel again

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Might even go back down to $7 this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sold my CLF 2/25 put for $1.85 yesterday. Today it's down to $0.85

:toot:

Gonna squirrel this into something predictable until a new local minima/maxima shows up.