Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Guys! We did it! We beat Russia! We're going to pizza hut!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'400+ years of historical Russian-Ukrainian relationships'

hmmm

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the goal of iraq and afghanistan was never to build functioning governments with militaries, it was to make client states and shovel money into defense contractors.

the lessons learned are extremely applicable to this goal, provided you actively avoid implementing any of it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you look at Warsaw Pact, the Soviets encouraged them to use their local industries and military thinking, to the point where the Polish and Czech armies used Polish and Czech designed and built equipment in a whole range of areas, had their own force structures and traditions. I mean, East Germany, The Czech, The Poles, even the Hungarians and Romanians were very much expressions of their own national societies.

I don’t understand every military the US has a hand in being steered towards The-US-Army-But-Worse. Other than, as redneck nazghul just said, that way they pay US firms for F-16s and Humvees.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i wish Pizza Hut was still good like in the 90s and not the trash heap it is today :smith:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

i wish Pizza Hut was still good like in the 90s and not the trash heap it is today :smith:

Shut up and get in the car.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t understand every military the US has a hand in being steered towards The-US-Army-But-Worse. Other than, as redneck nazghul just said, that way they pay US firms for F-16s and Humvees.

If everyone is using NATO cartridges, they have to buy from you and it's politically unpopular to try and make a switch

Captive market

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The unscrupulous chinese trying to make you think the animals care about the boy when all they are interested is in the sweet warm embrace of table lamp

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Vietnam is an interesting study for an American Way of War because in theory all of these lessons were learned:

- Don’t prop up a corrupt urban regime just because they seem the most “Westernized”, you’ll lose the countryside.

- Build a real economy instead of handing money to the corrupt government.

- As any government built from the tiny core of “Westernized” people willing to work with you is corrupt, unpopular, and unable to create legitimacy, you’ll be trapped into buying off the warlords that creates outside of the capital.

- When you devote all of your efforts towards this urban, educated population because you find them those most palatable, you’ll not only continue to be estranged from the rest of the population, you also further estrange the rest of the population from them.

- Don’t rely on firepower, that will turn the population against you. Turning to this because you’re outnumbered by an increasingly hostile population, and the army you created is unable or unwilling to fight, is a signal that you’ve already lost.

There was an entire industry writing books, teaching courses, presenting papers with all of these lessons learned between 1975-2001. People made their careers in the Pentagon by proposing detailed reforms and studying these failures. It was a whole big thing. Petraeus made his career by publishing the first US Counterinsurgency Manual since Vietnam. I should also mention that between 1999-2001 several books and papers came out saying the US was deluding itself by thinking airpower or technology could win, or even decisively influence wars.

As soon as the task of setting up the “New” Iraq and Afghanistan started, all of this went out the window. I’m inclined to think the political dimension came first, and their desire for the kinds of governments they wanted to establish dictated that they would be unpopular, lavishly equip armies that wouldn’t fight, and thus rely on firepower and control of Baghdad/Kabul alone - so lose the war.

The Iraqi government that beat ISIS is one that has reasserted itself and is not stuck acting at the US’ behest. Hell, they beat ISIS because they turned to Iran and used Shia militias - obviously not the American Way of War which had created the Mechanized division routed at Mosul.

I don’t know what this says about the culture of the US military, other than it falls into the same pitfalls built into it as the IJA and Wehrmacht, and is doomed to repeat mistakes.

I would say it isn’t an accident and it isn’t really rooted in the military itself, but the state. The US was founded by oligarchs and remains dominated by them, it makes sense they would immediately find common cause with the people most like them in a colonial conflict (especially if they are Western educated). It is a system only sustainable by brute force and once that fails, the enterprise evaporates.

Also, it isn’t surprising the go to people in Ukraine are very much the same people.

(Also, there has been a real effort to pretend that Lviv is the only “real” part of Ukraine when in reality, it was tacked on during the war. Central and Eastern Ukraine traditionally always sided with Muscovy during conflict with Poland.)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Guys! We did it! We beat Russia! We're going to pizza hut!

why don't we just go to gorbachev's pizza hut

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

where else is Russia supposed to park 60% of their active military?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
along the great wall of China

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh lol.

Is that why Zelensky was talking about Ukrainians that abandoned their country in the hour of need and saying that they should return?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

60% of the active duty military? I thought there were 100k troops on the border. That's 10%.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Vietnam is an interesting study for an American Way of War because in theory all of these lessons were learned:

- Don’t prop up a corrupt urban regime just because they seem the most “Westernized”, you’ll lose the countryside.

- Build a real economy instead of handing money to the corrupt government.

- As any government built from the tiny core of “Westernized” people willing to work with you is corrupt, unpopular, and unable to create legitimacy, you’ll be trapped into buying off the warlords that creates outside of the capital.

- When you devote all of your efforts towards this urban, educated population because you find them those most palatable, you’ll not only continue to be estranged from the rest of the population, you also further estrange the rest of the population from them.

- Don’t rely on firepower, that will turn the population against you. Turning to this because you’re outnumbered by an increasingly hostile population, and the army you created is unable or unwilling to fight, is a signal that you’ve already lost.

There was an entire industry writing books, teaching courses, presenting papers with all of these lessons learned between 1975-2001. People made their careers in the Pentagon by proposing detailed reforms and studying these failures. It was a whole big thing. Petraeus made his career by publishing the first US Counterinsurgency Manual since Vietnam. I should also mention that between 1999-2001 several books and papers came out saying the US was deluding itself by thinking airpower or technology could win, or even decisively influence wars.

As soon as the task of setting up the “New” Iraq and Afghanistan started, all of this went out the window. I’m inclined to think the political dimension came first, and their desire for the kinds of governments they wanted to establish dictated that they would be unpopular, lavishly equip armies that wouldn’t fight, and thus rely on firepower and control of Baghdad/Kabul alone - so lose the war.

The Iraqi government that beat ISIS is one that has reasserted itself and is not stuck acting at the US’ behest. Hell, they beat ISIS because they turned to Iran and used Shia militias - obviously not the American Way of War which had created the Mechanized division routed at Mosul.

I realize the US relationship with Kiev is not the same, but I also think it’s why letting Canadian emigre ghouls de collectivize agriculture and write the constitution doomed them. The ideological project came first, all of the money and resources aren’t going to make it popular, the military aid won’t matter because you can’t turn them into the US Army so you’ll just have unmotivated Ukrainian conscripts with M4s, and girls’ robotics teams and NGOs in Kiev while everybody else is poor and angry.

I don’t know what this says about the culture of the US military, other than it falls into the same pitfalls built into it as the IJA and Wehrmacht, and is doomed to repeat mistakes.

You know how raising strong children means they might tell you to gently caress off one day?

Nation building is not the point. Looting and killing is the point.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

synapse posted:

where else is Russia supposed to park 60% of their active military?

I imagine the Baltic states would love the extra attention.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A Russian troll farm posted:

60% of the active duty military? I thought there were 100k troops on the border. That's 10%.

probably someone mixing up 'ground forces' with overall troop count

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1493244661946728451

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

You know how raising strong children means they might tell you to gently caress off one day?

Nation building is not the point. Looting and killing is the point.

yeah in that sense south Vietnam was perfect for America:
-tons of corruption (greasing the wheels of business)
-local elites spending aid money buying American consumer goods and guns (captive markets)
-no local manufacturing base (no competition for American companies)
-weak top-heavy government with little support in the countryside (easy to push around)
-spends shitloads of aid money buying American weapons (makes US generals and arms manufacturers happy)
-funds the secret police using the heroin trade (easy cooperation with the cia in the heroin trade)

if south vietnam somehow magically became an independent manufacturing powerhouse? or stopped buying American guns? or goods?

even if it would be good for south vietnam that’s bad for america. such outcomes would not be permitted

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Flavahbeast posted:

probably someone mixing up 'ground forces' with overall troop count

https://twitter.com/larisamlbrown/status/1493244661946728451

Is so weird that you can tell someone read a defence publication when they use a specific technical term, just to count. Just say battalions. What makes them tactical groups is the integration of support that used to be held and detached to them by the brigade or regiment.

When counting there is no reason to say that instead of battalion.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

QUEER FRASIER posted:

lotta folks taking victory laps itt when we don’t have clean satellite photos yet!!

Look man, they patched Cyberpunk and Warhammer releases in two days. No one has time for the invasion poo poo.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

BULBASAUR posted:

my personal favorite part of this narrative is that Russia plans to launch an offensive in winter... in Eastern Europe

a famous place with many famous winter offensives

To be fair, that old adage about Russian winters does not apply to the Russians. Believe it or not the Wehrmacht did not just stop shooting and freeze to death in holes during the winters on the Eastern Front. Instead the Red Army kicked their teeth in while the Germans wished they could just stop the shooting until it got warmer.

Russia and the Soviet Union, unlike the armies of Napoleon and Hitler, have a history of tremendous success during winter and a reputation for winter warfare expertise.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Putin is a cuck

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1493555781974863876?cxt=HHwWiMC9zcHElropAAAA

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaximEristavi/status/1492552915122331657

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/aurorachaang/status/1493403868130312194

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ZombieLenin posted:

To be fair, that old adage about Russian winters does not apply to the Russians. Believe it or not the Wehrmacht did not just stop shooting and freeze to death in holes during the winters on the Eastern Front. Instead the Red Army kicked their teeth in while the Germans wished they could just stop the shooting until it got warmer.

Russia and the Soviet Union, unlike the armies of Napoleon and Hitler, have a history of tremendous success during winter and a reputation for winter warfare expertise.

It’s about the preparation, and a drive to Kiev would require Vistula-Oder levels of build up, which there wasn’t any evidence of whatsoever.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In this house we believe in LGBTQ rights and that Stepan Bandera is a national hero.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/YaxueCao/status/1493232613464719364

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I want there to be peace, Russia has said they were withdrawing before and didn't do it. We can't breath easy until it's actually over.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
How many times did Russia say they were withdrawing from Syria and yet kept bombing it daily?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jane_Li911/status/1493203780510224387

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

We must accept sovereignty of all nations

Except NATO states

their citizens don't know whats best for them

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/MaximEristavi/status/1493614928787386373

@EmilyCouch UKEurasianist @PENAmerica | Formerly @NEDemocracy | MA @UCLSSEES | ✒️ @foreignpolicy @timesmoscow @calvertjournal &c | 🗣🇫��🇪🇸🇷🇺| Views mine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

more gay content for the insufficiently gay eurasia thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/fryan/status/1493355438464765966

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

finally someone brave enough to call out kissingers real crimes against humanity

https://mobile.twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1493585259383898112

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1493570394292379649

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They're going to replace the frog with this one

https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1492877081738424320

wokeismo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

finally someone brave enough to call out kissingers real crimes against humanity

https://mobile.twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1493585259383898112

No one interfere, let it happen

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

one big reason why america didn’t internalize the lessons of the Vietnam war was because the 1990 gulf war blowout happened.

Gulf War is going to end up as the textbook example of victory disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Eurasia gay, so what?