Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Comatoast posted:

There was never going to be any other way. It's just sped up. Sounds a lot like the 'sooner than expected' trope.

Using the word trope about things in objective reality? Go gently caress yourself contrarianistically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Comatoast posted:

I'll go back to lurking for links, so y'all can go back to your circlejerk.

Apparently not!

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

not only is the non-response to covid very similar to the ongoing non-response to climate change, i saw a study linking extinction events, bats and virus that made it seem like there was a non-zero chance that climate change is partially responsible for viruses like COVID, so lmao

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Cloks posted:

children are smarter than this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Actually this is the fault of the poorest people for reasons you have to be an economist to understand

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1493624310501679110

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually this is the fault of the poorest people for reasons you have to be an economist to understand

Assume: The world is free in market and democratic in government. Voting matters, as representatives then enact the will of the majority. There are many more poor people than rich ones.

Result: Everything that happens is the will of poor people and rich people are just along for the ride.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

maybe i'm just emotionally keyed up but the poo poo currently going down in my country has taught me that we are absolutely not going to be anywhere near ready for the collapse of our biosphere or our governments

A key takeaway from covid should be that you probably won't see the bullet coming.

Sure, you might be aware of the crisis that finishes you off in a very general sense, but you're still going to need to go to work and someone is going to say that you should go out to Applebee's and live your life. It's going to be nearly impossible to know when the actual moment has arrived that things are falling apart around you, because normalcy bias will dominate right up until that last second. Even then, people who aren't immediately affected will be saying it's no big deal as your body gets dumped in a mass grave.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that 1% emissions thing reminds of feinstein talking down to the children in her office about climate change haha

she has six houses and a gulfstream jet btw, mainly because she's approved deals that have directly benefitted her husband

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/YaleE360/status/1493637099224023052

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comatoast posted:

If I could Thanos Snap half of the population away, then I’d give it at least three or four snaps. I never would have suspected Im one of the few actual doomers in the thread.

You can talk poo poo, praising Genghis Khan for bringing some forests back for a short time. Meanwhile, I’m aware of my mortality and prepared for the oncoming doom. There was never any point in being afraid of covid. There are more covid-like events to come.

oh okay you didn't learn a single loving thing. it's okay, the majority of the posters in this thread remain. :nsa:

Paradoxish posted:

A key takeaway from covid should be that you probably won't see the bullet coming.

Sure, you might be aware of the crisis that finishes you off in a very general sense, but you're still going to need to go to work and someone is going to say that you should go out to Applebee's and live your life. It's going to be nearly impossible to know when the actual moment has arrived that things are falling apart around you, because normalcy bias will dominate right up until that last second. Even then, people who aren't immediately affected will be saying it's no big deal as your body gets dumped in a mass grave.

yeah pretty much. just look at the people already dying from climate change: in a general sense, you're aware that bad stuff is happening in Other Places. things are disrupted, florida got hit with a nasty hurricane, weird weather in chicago, etc. those things will continue to escalate, along with increasing violence. look at the people who've lived through a war: you spend years hearing stories of battles in other places, and hoping against hope it never arrives in your village.

but it's always a surprise when your area, specifically, gets hit with an insane heat dome. or when the resupply trucks just never show up at your local supermarket, and stop coming altogether. or when you realize side A and side B are both converging on your area.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I haven't bathed in 6 days. Not only does this reduce my water and power consumption, but it also reduces my chances of accidentally procreating. I'm doing my part to end climate change.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

The Wisest Moron posted:

I haven't bathed in 6 days. Not only does this reduce my water and power consumption, but it also reduces my chances of accidentally procreating. I'm doing my part to end climate change.

o7

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people seem pretty tense lately about that whole climate thing that's going on in the news

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rectal Death Adept posted:

people seem pretty tense lately about that whole climate thing that's going on in the news

when jeffrey is posting itt you know poo poo’s hosed

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

In the past month I have had a conversation with the Director of my department where climate change related stress affecting our staff was a topic. We may still be powerless to affect anything, but at least we can try to be prepared for the short term human costs.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone can relax. By 2040 the New York pension fund will only make investments into net zero carbon entities

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Crow Buddy posted:

In the past month I have had a conversation with the Director of my department where climate change related stress affecting our staff was a topic. We may still be powerless to affect anything, but at least we can try to be prepared for the short term human costs.

Have you considered that preparing for future hardship makes u a doomer?

And the preparing for future human costs makes you a communist?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Have you considered that preparing for future hardship makes u a doomer?

And the preparing for future human costs makes you a communist?

I plead guilty judge.

I was more surprised that my Director mentioned it instead of me talking his ear off about it.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crow Buddy posted:

I plead guilty judge.

I was more surprised that my Director mentioned it instead of me talking his ear off about it.

it’s always a bit disconcerting when you’re the office climate doomer and someone else brings up water shortages or wildfires

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CODChimera posted:

cant wait for the boe so people finally start taking this seriously

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Don't worry, the Biden administration is on the problem.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-manufacturing/

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol they’ll just deny it’s real or say “this is good for business, don’t be negative, there’s still a little ice around the edges”

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Fly Molo posted:

it’s always a bit disconcerting when you’re the office climate doomer and someone else brings up water shortages or wildfires

We had four separate WTF weather events in the last 12 months. Perhaps it is a passing acknowledgement that will get memory holed when next year is 'fine', but it is a thing here currently.

It was a bit eye-opening mumbling doom over the last 6 months and having people just straight up agree, no arguing about semantics or timelines.

Sex Captain
Aug 15, 2021

Comatoast posted:

If I could Thanos Snap half of the population away, then I’d give it at least three or four snaps. I never would have suspected Im one of the few actual doomers in the thread.

You can talk poo poo, praising Genghis Khan for bringing some forests back for a short time. Meanwhile, I’m aware of my mortality and prepared for the oncoming doom. There was never any point in being afraid of covid. There are more covid-like events to come.

That is very noble, self-sacrificial, and dare I say Admirable?

All hail the hero Comatoast, who laughs in the face of death and desires a world with no brown people in it

kater
Nov 16, 2010

actionjackson posted:

that 1% emissions thing reminds of feinstein talking down to the children in her office about climate change haha

oh gosh I did not need to be reminded of this

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I guess I’m not jokic enough ? why am I hopeful what is happening where do I go to get myself corrected

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

finally someone hit the lever and drained new londo ruins

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kater posted:

feinstein apparently moved from her mansion in presidio heights to a mansion in pacific heights, claiming that with some new grandchildren on the way, they needed more space

it's well known that with six grandchildren, 6000 SF or whatever the gently caress she had just won't cut it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

kater posted:

yeah it sucks that we have to remember it when diane feinstein probably doesn't

i kid, i kid, she's great at forming short term memories

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1493653824216735748

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

that's not gonna be enough for aquaman to start snapping up properties, can we make it three feet

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

a general sense of pervading doom seems to be starting to really infiltrate the normalosphere. Even people who I generally look to to have a break from the constant dread and maybe get an optimistic chuckle have essentially turned to a grim and depressing acceptance that the end is here, that our current everything can't sustain itself much longer even in the short term. I think covid really opened a lot of eyes to just how uncaring those who have power are to a lot of americans, sure there are still a lot of noisy fuckers saying everything is ok back to brunch, but overall, the rare times I'm able to converse with human beings in person in my hazmat suit its just an acceptance that we are completely and absolutely hosed. I'm kind of sad that it seems like so far at least we see acceptance before like any sort of real revolutionary movement, oh well. #goodbye

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
new orleans-as-venice should be pretty sweet

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

you do not, in fact, have to give Genghis Khan for being the first ecofascist https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?t=kqN2Pvssxsh_p5vCmZbX5w&s=19

Venomous has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The real estate market in that village is ON FIRE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

flooding is bad for people, but is also bad for cars, many sides

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Venomous posted:

you do not, in fact, have to give Genghis Khan for being the first ecofascist https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?t=kqN2Pvssxsh_p5vCmZbX5w&s=19

trying to impose modern ideology onto a guy who lived before we knew how many continents there were on the planet seems kinda stupid no matter how you're doing it

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

trying to impose modern ideology onto a guy who lived before we knew how many continents there were on the planet seems kinda stupid no matter how you're doing it

sure, okay, maybe I didn't mean ecofascist in a literal sense and it was a bad choice of words, but the point is, when your opinions on Genghis Khan are identical to that of some liberal in the Guardian 11 years ago, you kinda have to question whether or not your opinion is, in fact, utter poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

actionjackson posted:

flooding is bad for people, but is also bad for cars, many sides

The rise of 2stroke outboards