Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

kazil posted:

Dyling Light 2, the writing. is. AWFUL.

Like, DL1 was bad but 2 elevates to new levels of terrible.

Thank god you can skip almost all of it.

Yeah the main quest is pretty bad and you also know immediately where it's going. I really wish games wouldn't try to make you care about someone the main character hasn't seen since they were a kid 15 years ago, because it never works and you get a better connection to any generic quest giver because they actually interact with the character you are playing as.

Honestly I feel like the entire game is brought down by trying to do the choice and consequences stuff, because it never becomes interesting.
Do you give every building to one side and get some fun movement options or do you give them to the other in exchange for useless combat stuff?

Also they nerfed the fun and effective combat moves/tactics, but not the boring and effective ones.

Hel has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Double posting because Sifu, why does it seem like every beat em up dev team has someone that decides that actually normal enemies should just have invincible blocks and dodges and AFAIK there is no block breaker attack? It kills the rhythm constantly especially since it also steals God Hands denom mechanic where enemies can just get full health and bonus power instead of dying. It would be a decent beat em up with out those things.

Hel has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Feb 10, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

kazil posted:

Dyling Light 2, the writing. is. AWFUL.

Like, DL1 was bad but 2 elevates to new levels of terrible.

Thank god you can skip almost all of it.

This is the one where they boasted they wrote more words than in the book Anna Karenina, isn't it

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

This is the one where they boasted they wrote more words than in the book Anna Karenina, isn't it

Not surprised. The story and character motivations for DL1 was god awful. And the QTE ending out of nowhere.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Let's be fair, by the end of Anna Karenina I also wanted to throw myself in front of a train.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally getting around to starting Paper Mario Origami King. In the first conversation you can have with the strange Origami Princess Peach, you can use dialogue options agreeing with everything she says about immediately giving up and letting her destroy the kingdom....but you don't get an instant game over, she just goes "well, it doesn't matter" and the game goes on.

C'mon game, you can't just set that up and not follow through with it
:negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

credburn posted:

I've got two friends who still play Sega and All Stars Racing Transformed and it's a blast. Occasionally there are enough people in the world playing that we get a full roster, but it's hit and miss. Still a fuckin blast, and I've enjoyed it more than any kart racer since the first Mario Kart.

S&ASR: Transformed was so loving good. The roster got really weird by the end though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Vandar posted:

S&ASR: Transformed was so loving good. The roster got really weird by the end though.

Like General Winter or the Football Manager.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/07/general-winter-joins-the-cast-of-sonic-sega-all-stars-racing-transformed/

quote:

ASRT’s newest character is from Relics game, who is a characterised incarnation of a metaphor based off a real life phenomenom.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Finally getting around to starting Paper Mario Origami King. In the first conversation you can have with the strange Origami Princess Peach, you can use dialogue options agreeing with everything she says about immediately giving up and letting her destroy the kingdom....but you don't get an instant game over, she just goes "well, it doesn't matter" and the game goes on.

C'mon game, you can't just set that up and not follow through with it
:negative:

Super Paper Mario allowed you to gameover into stuff.

The intro with the magic wizard asking "yo wanna save the multiverse?" , and the other one being the space stage of "put on helmet? yes/no?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Super Paper Mario allowed you to gameover into stuff.

The intro with the magic wizard asking "yo wanna save the multiverse?" , and the other one being the space stage of "put on helmet? yes/no?"

Yeah, I couldn't remember if the first two games did that, but the SPM intro is always my first example when I think about silly game over goofs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Breath of Fire 2 had a good example of that. Prior to entering the final dungeon your mother sacrifices herself to turn into a dragon and seal the entrance, preventing any more demons from escaping out into the world. The game tells you that eventually her seal will weaken and the demons will flood out and kill everyone, the only way to stop it being to break the seal, enter the final dungeon and effectively kill God/Satan who's waiting down at the bottom. You have the option to just say "Nah, seal seems good enough for me" and walk away, triggering a game over and small cutscene saying the world was destroyed by your inaction.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Breath of Fire 2 had a good example of that. Prior to entering the final dungeon your mother sacrifices herself to turn into a dragon and seal the entrance, preventing any more demons from escaping out into the world. The game tells you that eventually her seal will weaken and the demons will flood out and kill everyone, the only way to stop it being to break the seal, enter the final dungeon and effectively kill God/Satan who's waiting down at the bottom. You have the option to just say "Nah, seal seems good enough for me" and walk away, triggering a game over and small cutscene saying the world was destroyed by your inaction.

Although there is also a happier ending that is completely missable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been dipping my feet back into Bayonetta 2 and somehow never before realized, or forgot, how annoying it becomes in the last third when you try to kick your enemies' rear end and your sudden CPU partner starts launching them into the air, wicked weave-knocking them out of your path and just generally making more of an unbidden nuisance of herself than helping. It's not really doing much to sell me on the tag climax mode either, which is transparently the idea.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been dipping my feet back into Bayonetta 2 and somehow never before realized, or forgot, how annoying it becomes in the last third when you try to kick your enemies' rear end and your sudden CPU partner starts launching them into the air, wicked weave-knocking them out of your path and just generally making more of an unbidden nuisance of herself than helping. It's not really doing much to sell me on the tag climax mode either, which is transparently the idea.

yeah the sequel's sidekicks constantly telling you to get a move on or interrupting your combos was a nightmare, especially because one of them (loki) is the worst character platinum's ever created

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
In order to complete an Empire play through of Warhammer II you’re required to capture a bunch of specific cities and then defeat the final chaos invasion where the game throws 12 armies at you.

The only problem is that I’ve killed 11 ½ of these armies and the last half stack has hosed off somewhere in the world. I spent 10 turns trying to find this guy before I just quit and gave myself the win because I’m not wasting another hour to find one guy so the game can give me a two second ‘You Win!’ message.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I might be misremembering things and getting annoyed by it but I could've swore there was a datalog in the game that said the robots couldn't see red and that's why hiding in that type of grass always worked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQATS4HOxdo&t=248s

So if that's accurate, I'm annoyed that the smoke bomb isn't red.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is no such datalog.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

There is no such datalog.

Could've swore there was something about them having trouble recognizing things in foliage like that or just in general. Oh well, nevermind then.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a risky move for Aloy though hiding in the foliage. She turns up to camp completely bald "What happened?" "A robot deer ate my hair. Shut up..."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Could've swore there was something about them having trouble recognizing things in foliage like that or just in general. Oh well, nevermind then.

I think it's just because it matches her hair?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
piece of luck for her, being the only redhead in this entire genetically diverse population

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's annoying about Far Cry 6 is how many weapons there are. Like I really don't need all these slight variations of guns plus all the mods you can do to them plus the special guns that have set mods/looks. Especially as time to kill doesn't feel all that different based on what you're carrying.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Perhaps the most liberatory feeling in video games is when your realize that optimizing all your guns in mass effect 1 or whatever is kind of a waste of time and doesn't ever get you enough performance increase for it to be worth the time you spent doing it.

I always just pick the things that look best or coolest at first glance and maybe change it out a bit later after I've found more stuff.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Dead Cells allowing enemies you can’t see to attack/shoot at you from off-screen sucks rear end. Really blows having your no-hit run hosed up because the game places something you need to kill in such a way that when you approach, you’re simultaneously shot at from 3 enemies off-screen and the shots are staggered so you can’t dodge/parry.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Something that's annoying about Far Cry 6 is how many weapons there are. Like I really don't need all these slight variations of guns plus all the mods you can do to them plus the special guns that have set mods/looks. Especially as time to kill doesn't feel all that different based on what you're carrying.

Yeah, I basically had an early game loadout and a late game loadout, and didn't change it much except for a few specific fights. Also I started most fights sniping as many baddies as possible with the silent nailgun, that thing was more fun and useful than the actual sniper rifles, and I got it like an hour in :madmax:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Taking inspo from hotline Miami 2 I see

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The reviews for the Horizon sequel call out that the game trods the same annoyance as the original, in that the item economy is too bloated with so many currencies and materials needed to buy and upgrade poo poo. You can't just pay 1000 shards for a bow without providing three monkey scrotums as well.

What games are the worst for vendor trash that could easily be trimmed?

Some games like Yakuza 7 have a million components, but at least let you buy everything.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:18 on Feb 14, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The last three Assassin's Creeds are bad at this, too. Valhalla introduced a second kind of upgrade material, in case iron ore, wood, fabric, and titanium wasn't enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The reviews for the Horizon sequel call out that the game trods the same annoyance as the original, in that the item economy is too bloated with so many currencies and materials needed to buy and upgrade poo poo. You can't just pay 1000 shards for a bow without providing three monkey scrotums as well.

Forbidden West seems to be going about this in an intelligent way. If you don't want to play the whole game of knocking off specific machine components to craft gear, there's an Easy Loot accessibility option that just lets you harvest all the machine parts without having to worry about damaging them. We'll see how it plays out when the game actually releases!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Philippe posted:

The last three Assassin's Creeds are bad at this, too. Valhalla introduced a second kind of upgrade material, in case iron ore, wood, fabric, and titanium wasn't enough.

Jokes on you. The easiest way to beat Valhalla is to drop it in disgust after 20 hours.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

piece of luck for her, being the only redhead in this entire genetically diverse population

There's actually a reason for that but that gets into spoiler territory, lol.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Taeke posted:

There's actually a reason for that but that gets into spoiler territory, lol.

I mean unless I'm mistaken there's a reason she's a redhead but no reason why she's the only redhead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I mean unless I'm mistaken there's a reason she's a redhead but no reason why she's the only redhead

Natural redheads would be extremely uncommon/nonexistent in a heterogenous human population that's been interbreeding for the past 750 years.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Yea, the damage numbers on things are kinda pointless, as its better to load AP rounds on everything, and those are all one hit kills to the head no matter the distance or weapon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I like the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters since they don't have any of the bonus dungeons from earlier ports. These could be quite half-assed like FF2 having a bonus campaign that reuses three maps from the original game and flips them. FF4 was a little inspired, but 5 and 6 were bleh.

Chrono Trigger was a perfect game. But since the otherwise stellar DS port it comes tacked a post-game dungeon. It's grindy, repetitive, and is counter to the game-design of the lean original. It also attempts to canonize a story element that fans loving hate.

What games are there where it gets updated by a different crowd of people with different design philosophies that dont mesh? Like the open-minded AC Odyssey having a terribly Heteronormative DLC made by a different team.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Feb 15, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I never played the DS Chrono Trigger; what story element are you talking about?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That gag boss dude from Zeal overthrew the kingdom where Crono, Lucca, and Marle lived and probably killed them all.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Didnt chrono cross poo poo all over chrono triggers canon anyways at this point

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, it was basically Square trying to deal with the storyline issue of "Guardia was overthrown by a "kingdom" that consisted of a greedy mayor and 5 citizens while Chrono could easily kill them all with magic" and also explain what happened to Dalton. It was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Most RPG sequels have the sense to be set miles and years away from the previous one, or in another world altogether.