Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LOL

Glad I never cared about this doofus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh and I finished Jack Reacher, the action remained on the right side of "good" until the end, but it was nothing great. I'm sure it will get a second season though and hopefully they can tighten it up.

It was also admirable how 90s the entire production was. The villains had zero moral complexity and in one case was almost literally Satan Jr. and the ending scenes contrived to square everyone up against their adversary. I really miss that kind of cheese.

It has already been renewed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MrBling posted:

It has already been renewed.

I've read a summary of the next book in the series and it's even a bigger chunk of cheddar than this first one. Should be a decent ride.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched Bloodshot with Vin Diesel. I thought it would be utter poo poo but Vin Diesel movies always surprise me in a good way. Vin Diesel is basically a superpower hitman in this and there is some real cool setups with him eliminating a whole room of people in a instant.

The film looks ugly as poo poo, some of these movies add a filter to make it look more futuristic or high budget but it ends up looking terrible.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I am going to see Blacklight tomorrow. It has a 5% on RT. Can't tell if people are sick of his movies (I will never be) or if they somehow found a way to screw up something that should be pretty easy.

Reacher owns. Got some Banshee vibes from it.

I'm only on episode 3 of Reacher, but if there's a lingering downside it's that I just kind of wish I was watching Banshee instead sometimes. Still pretty decent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
"My Name" on Netflix has some pretty good Banshee type energy: Everyone is a martial arts master and the higher you are in a gang the better you are at martial arts.

Also, whoever recommended 'Blazing Fire', the new Donnie Yen joint, nice work. That's got some really cool blending of martial arts and gunplay. It's essentially Heat but everyone knows karate

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Started watching Reacher after people here said its good. Like it so far. I did try watching Banshee few years ago, the character was not believable for me. This dude who is playing Reacher is built like a brickshit house. He really is menacing and the action so far is better than Banshee. I know people love Banshee here, maybe I need to rewatch it again since so many people say its good but it just didn't stick for me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ulio posted:

Started watching Reacher after people here said its good. Like it so far. I did try watching Banshee few years ago, the character was not believable for me. This dude who is playing Reacher is built like a brickshit house. He really is menacing and the action so far is better than Banshee. I know people love Banshee here, maybe I need to rewatch it again since so many people say its good but it just didn't stick for me.

Yeah the dude is 6'2" or something and they put him in lifts so he's 6'5". Then they shot him for maximum domination and have everybody call him Sasquatch or something. It works really well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Ulio posted:

The first two episodes of banshee can drag a little but if the end of the 3rd doesn't do it for you, you probably won't be a fan of the series as a whole

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yeah the dude is 6'2" or something and they put him in lifts so he's 6'5". Then they shot him for maximum domination and have everybody call him Sasquatch or something. It works really well.

My friend and I were watching it and wondering if they had deliberately cast all the other male characters with actors under 5'10 - because even in prison, where you tend you get extras that are huge, all the guys in his fight are just tiny compared to him.

The fight choreography was nothing special but I did appreciate how far they went to sell Reacher just man handling people. Like open palm slapping a dude and flipping him over, or the use of grapples/throws by reacher on the tiny men actors he is fighting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the fight scenes aren't impressive so much as they're just very effective at conveying Reacher's size and power. If anything it leads to some jarring moments as the season goes on where Reacher is fighting someone 1on1 and you're wondering how this much smaller guy is hanging with him for more than 5 seconds. I think for the next season they need to do a better job of establishing villains as a physical threat to Reacher if they're gonna have a back and forth fight with him later on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the fight scenes aren't impressive so much as they're just very effective at conveying Reacher's size and power. If anything it leads to some jarring moments as the season goes on where Reacher is fighting someone 1on1 and you're wondering how this much smaller guy is hanging with him for more than 5 seconds. I think for the next season they need to do a better job of establishing villains as a physical threat to Reacher if they're gonna have a back and forth fight with him later on.

Yea this was DEFINITELY the case with the 2 fights at the end of the season with the nephew & the son, there is no way either of them should have lasted more than a second. Reacher is the type of book / show that does not need tension involved in Reacher's fights, just give a cathartic 1 second beat down to the obvious twerp/dweeb guy that is being shown to us as mega evil

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Hopefully this show elevates Ritchson's visibility. He deserves a better career than he's had.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

This also because he establishes those venezualan dudes early on as being super awesome because "they didn't die in two seconds when they attacked me".
Yet some podunk rich kids keep him busy as a "believable" threat

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i wonder how much they took from the movie or if the books really are a bunch of sherlock holmes deductions and tactical beat downs. Reacher being the coolest white boy is hilarious though, he even taught his preppy black friend some blues

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

i wonder how much they took from the movie or if the books really are a bunch of sherlock holmes deductions and tactical beat downs. Reacher being the coolest white boy is hilarious though, he even taught his preppy black friend some blues

It's this. They're great entertaining pulp. Every book follows a pretty formulaic approach.
Reacher minding his own business, sees some sort of injustice (public display of domestic violence implied or outright, some person refusing to pay for something) - Reacher "rights the wrong" usually be beating some dude up in a sherlock holmes style "I plan this exact approach and then crack him with my forehead, which happens to be a curve. DId you know curves are strongest natural formation of bone?"
Then gets rolled into some great conspiracy in whatever town this happens to have occurred in. Single handedly solves it (occasionally with some help from old military buddies) and kills everyone involved.

It's great fun but it's not exactly deep thinky stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spiteski posted:

It's this. They're great entertaining pulp. Every book follows a pretty formulaic approach.
Reacher minding his own business, sees some sort of injustice (public display of domestic violence implied or outright, some person refusing to pay for something) - Reacher "rights the wrong" usually be beating some dude up in a sherlock holmes style "I plan this exact approach and then crack him with my forehead, which happens to be a curve. DId you know curves are strongest natural formation of bone?"
Then gets rolled into some great conspiracy in whatever town this happens to have occurred in. Single handedly solves it (occasionally with some help from old military buddies) and kills everyone involved.

It's great fun but it's not exactly deep thinky stuff.

I just realized that Jack Reacher is Conan. The book Conan, that Robert E Howard wrote, not the guy that Arnie played (he's very cool too but inferior to the book version IMO, although they give hints of how awesome the source material is occasionally).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The Reacher books are that genre of entertaining read where you get to learn something about some completely unrelated subjects because its relevant to Reacher's case and the author obviously researched it and Reacher is on the spectrum enough to either recite the wiki to his partners or think it in his head.

The books themselves follow a few different formulas:

1. Someone from his past specifically seeks out his help
2. He gets randomly caught up in something
3. He sees a problem and decides to fix it

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Jerkface posted:

The Reacher books are that genre of entertaining read where you get to learn something about some completely unrelated subjects because its relevant to Reacher's case and the author obviously researched it and Reacher is on the spectrum enough to either recite the wiki to his partners or think it in his head.

The books themselves follow a few different formulas:

1. Someone from his past specifically seeks out his help
2. He gets randomly caught up in something
3. He sees a problem and decides to fix it

Yeah I read all of them while my wife was sick/the pandemic was going on. Super easy reads and there is never any doubt what will end up happening (Reacher punches people to death).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's a real skill to writing good pulp, as evidenced by how many writers are bad at it. The good ones, like Lee Child or Bernard Cornwell or Robert E Howard or Agatha Christie, have enough skill as writers to write the same book 207 times and make it compelling and fun every time.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I've only read the first three. Does Lee Child continue to periodically insert very detailed driving instructions so his readers can follow along on a map?

I should dig up some more of them to read. They were fun; I like pulp, even without spaceships.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Reacher gets randomly kidnapped when someone else is the target like 3 times. How much bad luck do you have to have as a kidnapper to accidentally kidnap the guy who is gonna gently caress you 7 ways to sunday while dismantling your entire org.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I really like how many platonic relationships with women Reacher has. It’s a huge change from the archetype. The character genuinely respects the women as well.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Well, drat, you guys convinced me to give the books a go.

Edit- Haha, 6 copies, 12 holds on each

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

If you have a Kindle or other e reader they like 6 bucks each on there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Narzack posted:

Well, drat, you guys convinced me to give the books a go.

Edit- Haha, 6 copies, 12 holds on each

Reacher's next target: publisher monopolies.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I think for the next season they need to do a better job of establishing villains as a physical threat to Reacher if they're gonna have a back and forth fight with him later on.
I'm hoping they get around to either basing a season around Persuader or just lifting a character from it (this first season demonstrated they're fine copy/pasting elements from one story into another.) One of the antagonists in Persuader is this absurdly roided-up bodyguard who size-wise is basically to Reacher as Reacher is to normal people. Their fistfight takes up like a whole chapter and Reacher barely makes it, it's fuckin cool.

I've read a poo poo-ton of the Reacher books and found this first season totally fun as an adaptation. The stories could probably be improved if you stitch em together a bit like they did in this season. The whole "you do not mess with the Special Investigators" line is (to me) a pretty clear foreshadowing that at some point they're gonna do Bad Luck and Trouble, where Reacher reunites his whole gang of badass supersoldier pals from back in the day, should be fun. A lot of the novels lend themselves to an episodic format, and they obviously nailed the casting with Ritchson. I see no reason why they couldn't have similar success over a stretch of seasons.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If any of you want to hear Alan Ritchson talk about his mental health in addition to talking about Reacher, I can recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ePmDsZp8g

It gets pretty deep pretty quick. He talks about how he got blackmailed by a former businesspartner and tried to hang himself over it. Fortunately he was too beefy for it take, so he could get himself out of it again.

He also mentions that he put on 30lbs on muscle for the role.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

He also mentions that he put on 30lbs on muscle for the role.

That's impressive given he was already loving huge.

rivetz posted:

I'm hoping they get around to either basing a season around Persuader or just lifting a character from it (this first season demonstrated they're fine copy/pasting elements from one story into another.) One of the antagonists in Persuader is this absurdly roided-up bodyguard who size-wise is basically to Reacher as Reacher is to normal people. Their fistfight takes up like a whole chapter and Reacher barely makes it, it's fuckin cool.

Guess I know which book I'm starting with. I don't think I've read a really good fist fight before.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

rivetz posted:

Jeez, who could they cast that would fit this description? Arnold in his Mr Universe prime, CGI'd to be 6'7"?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Jeez, who could they cast that would fit this description? Arnold in his Mr Universe prime, CGI'd to be 6'7"?

The dude who played the mountain in GOT would be big enough probably.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Of course! For some reason I forgot about him (and he's not very forgettable!)

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Nathan Jones is right there

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
who wants to argue about what the cutest dog in an action movie is. John Wick is an obvious contender but I gotta hand it to Equilibrium

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Martyn Ford is becoming a go to heavy. He was in the fourth Undisputed film and the latest Fast and the Furious as 'giant mountain of muscle'

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

VROOM VROOM posted:

who wants to argue about what the cutest dog in an action movie is. John Wick is an obvious contender but I gotta hand it to Equilibrium

Does Sam in I Am Legend count? Not really an action movie (nor does it really know what genre it wants to be in, but :shrug: )

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm enjoying all this Reacherchat. My wife and I are five episodes in and really enjoying it, much more than either of us expected to. Both of our dads are huge fans of the novels, and I got my dad hooked on Banshee after we binged it and loved it.

Are the Tom Cruise Reacher movies any good? Obviously he was miscast, but are they decent action movies, and is Cruise's Reacher as much as an rear end-kicking, wrong-righting Sherlock Holmes in them?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm enjoying all this Reacherchat. My wife and I are five episodes in and really enjoying it, much more than either of us expected to. Both of our dads are huge fans of the novels, and I got my dad hooked on Banshee after we binged it and loved it.

Are the Tom Cruise Reacher movies any good? Obviously he was miscast, but are they decent action movies, and is Cruise's Reacher as much as an rear end-kicking, wrong-righting Sherlock Holmes in them?

I am a massive Reacher book fan, and I really enjoyed the Tom Cruise movies. I guess it's a testament to the stories ability to stand alone as entertaining punch-up detective stories. Just put out of your mind the conception of Reacher from the novels (if you haven't read them, don't even worry) and enjoy.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The first one is pretty good, it is based on the best of the novels and the action is very well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Cruise movies, especially the first one, do stand on their own as solid action movies, but I don't think I quite understood just how much the casting of Cruise changes the dynamic until I saw the show. It really turns the whole thing on it's head because Cruise's Reacher is constantly underestimated by people he meets. He's a relatively normal looking guy so people assume they can take him, then he beats them up. Totally the opposite of book/t.v. show Reacher who makes people piss their pants just by walking into the room.

Take the scene in the first movie where the goons are trying to goad Reacher into coming outside to fight them. It's really only at the very last moment when they can see how calm Reacher is that they start to feel like something is off, but with book/t.v. show Reacher they'd be shaking in their boots the whole time.