Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

deadpool 1 is funny but it's also very recognisably a stock superhero origin movie with the laughs bolted on over the top.

its not that it has laughs bolted on its that the laughs are r rated which is so surprising after the endless parade of pg 13 marvel bullshit it gets a lot of credit just for assuming its audience is old enough to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcmAlpIp3oM

Miserable rear end commercial.

The pay off is supposed to be the viewer watching this cool band play in the cool virtual world.
Instead it shows off how dorky people look when they're standing around in living room wearing a vr headset.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was there a tonal difference between deadpool 1 and 2? i didn't notice but also i liked 1 and kinda faded through 2's third act

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Instead it shows off how dorky people look when they're standing around in living room wearing a vr headset.

i think there's money to be made on our loneliness and insecurity and this trend has not nearly hit its apex

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcmAlpIp3oM

Miserable rear end commercial.

The pay off is supposed to be the viewer watching this cool band play in the cool virtual world.

When will this Metaverse poo poo hopefully die? This feels like one of the most forced product roll outs I've ever seen.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nichael posted:

When will this Metaverse poo poo hopefully die? This feels like one of the most forced product roll outs I've ever seen.

it will not be allowed to die

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nichael posted:

I like the fitness ones where the fitness lady is all "nerd stuff for GAMERS!? HOW DARE YOU!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

i say swears online posted:

was there a tonal difference between deadpool 1 and 2? i didn't notice but also i liked 1 and kinda faded through 2's third act

I thought Deadpool 2 felt a lot different from Deadpool 1, but I can't quite put my fonger on how and/or where

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

it will not be allowed to die

Facebook is way too invested in the metaverse to let it fail. It's all they have. The launch of Web 3.0 all revolves around an unregulated market of elaborate scams, and a new Second Life platform nobody wanted that won't even let you play sex with a demon/dragon/wolf hybrid

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought Deadpool 2 felt a lot different from Deadpool 1, but I can't quite put my fonger on how and/or where

Deadpool 2 doesn't waste time setting up its backstory and jumps straight into the fun stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Facebook is way too invested in the metaverse to let it fail. It's all they have. The launch of Web 3.0 all revolves around an unregulated market of elaborate scams, and a new Second Life platform nobody wanted that won't even let you play sex with a demon/dragon/wolf hybrid

within a few years companies are gonna start gating standard services behind logging into meta, the way they do with customer service via web chat and poo poo now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The only thing I can think of kneecapping Web 3.0 poo poo and Metaverse is everyone realizing that the return on online advertising is absolute horseshit.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dreylad posted:

The only thing I can think of kneecapping Web 3.0 poo poo and Metaverse is everyone realizing that the return on online advertising is absolute horseshit.

have you been on tiktok or youtube? no chance

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

how is metaverse not second life?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nichael posted:

you can’t make giant dicks and gently caress each other with them

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

indigi posted:

within a few years companies are gonna start gating standard services behind logging into meta, the way they do with customer service via web chat and poo poo now

oh yeah, for sure

ever hear of this thing called the Segway? they say it's going to revolutionize human travel, we're gonna redesign cities around it!!!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nichael posted:

Second Life allowed free expression, for better and worse

Metaverse is going to put you on lockdown with only the toys the big corps want you to have

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WampaLord posted:

oh yeah, for sure

ever hear of this thing called the Segway? they say it's going to revolutionize human travel, we're gonna redesign cities around it!!!

https://www.bird.co/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nichael posted:

indigi posted:

you can’t make giant dicks and gently caress each other with them

yeah it's not second life. it's second life with all the human weirdness on display filtered and sanded down so that no one accidentally has an unpleasant experience. it's infinitely worse

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

oh yeah, for sure

I mean, I haven't been in a mall in years, but I'm pretty sure that rent-a-cops were the biggest market for them

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

indigi posted:

that assumes anyone is going to use it, and i really don't see why they would

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

It's very Bitcoin/NFT style 'the consumers will demand it!' logic

Literally no one will use this poo poo unless they are literally forced to, not even considering that so much will require ridiculously expensive and intrusive VR rigs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slXHhu86SaY

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's very Bitcoin/NFT style 'the consumers will demand it!' logic

Literally no one will use this poo poo unless they are literally forced to, not even considering that so much will require ridiculously expensive and intrusive VR rigs.

a friend across the country bought us both an oculus 2 and we each used it once. I'm too adhd to leave my phone behind for awhile I guess

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

deadpool 1 is a fairly straightforward parody where pretty much everything about the typical superhero flick narrative structure production notes and stylistic designs are mocked

deadpool 2 is by contrast an entirely serious and sincere story with deliberate emotional payoffs that utilizes the same sense of humor but stops short of calling the whole thing a farcical sham

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

a friend across the country bought us both an oculus 2 and we each used it once. I'm too adhd to leave my phone behind for awhile I guess

if i can't take my phone into the metaverse so i can play idle skilling on top of a virtual mountain what's the loving point smh dumass cyborg looking zuckerberg!!!!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dreylad posted:

Or the fact that VR headsets cost as much as a console on their own, and people have trouble getting current gen consoles and computer parts and thus can't easily get rigs to run this crap.

This is also not likely to abate for at least a year and probably two, by then people will be frustrated by this forced meme and have forgotten about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skooma512 posted:

Or the fact that VR headsets cost as much as a console on their own, and people have trouble getting current gen consoles and computer parts and thus can't easily get rigs to run this crap.

This is also not likely to abate for at least a year and probably two, by then people will be frustrated by this forced meme and have forgotten about it.

VR was sooooo much cooler in the 90's when not everyone had access to a computer that could render things like cubes and spheres.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

VR was sooooo much cooler in the 90's when not everyone had access to a computer that could render things like cubes and spheres.

remember the myriad VR episodes of 90s sitcoms? they'd go to a therapist or something who'd recommend it and then they'd film some sort of green screen thing and call it VR

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

remember the myriad VR episodes of 90s sitcoms? they'd go to a therapist or something who'd recommend it and then they'd film some sort of green screen thing and call it VR

My first encounter with a VR headset was in a mall in the late 90s that had Doom 2 on it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I remember Virtual Boy lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

Do you remember what colors look like?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the community episode that lampoons this is great

AND JESUS WEPT, FOR THERE WERE NO MORE WORLDS TO CONQUER

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

my friend got one on release day when he was like nine lol. it sucked so, so bad, the headaches were real

babypolis posted:

the community episode that lampoons this is great

AND JESUS WEPT, FOR THERE WERE NO MORE WORLDS TO CONQUER

i only watched the first two seasons around airtime in 2010, i should go back and watch the good ones. i feel it gets more backlash than it should unlike the office which deserves it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I also remember the evolution of the NES ray gun into the SNES bazooka that worked with like 4 whole games

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yoshi's island seemed so disconcerting; no way i wanted that game when i could be grinding levels in breath of fire ii

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

my friend got one on release day when he was like nine lol. it sucked so, so bad, the headaches were real

i only watched the first two seasons around airtime in 2010, i should go back and watch the good ones. i feel it gets more backlash than it should unlike the office which deserves it

theres only one actually bad season, season 4 i think. everything else holds up pretty well. its pretty funny later on when they refer to it as the gas leak year

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

josh04 posted:

I’m saying they will be forced to use it, Facebook will pay companies to move services/customer support/etc into a meta-only space and current customers will have to sign up

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nichael posted:

Never. Welcome to the depressing, neolib future where you own nothing but you can get vr therapy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
The only actually decent things the "metaverse" can do are AR poo poo that augment jobs and make them less annoying/give you more control and clarity--and that's definitely not VR meeting rooms or whatever bullshit metas peddling.

indigi posted:

I’m saying they will be forced to use it, Facebook will pay companies to move services/customer support/etc into a meta-only space and current customers will have to sign up

This is the only reason anyone uses Microsoft teams, so the business model is there in tech land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

The only actually decent things the "metaverse" can do are AR poo poo that augment jobs and make them less annoying/give you more control and clarity--and that's definitely not VR meeting rooms or whatever bullshit metas peddling.

Flipping my Amazon branded VR headset to bathroom mode as I pee into a bottle on the packing line