Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Macaluso posted:

I'm kind of down for this? The voice casting choices are weird/bad but I like the pseudo Roger Rabbit thing they're doing. It looks like the rangers themselves are all CG but it looks like other characters are still hand drawn

https://twitter.com/disneystudios/status/1493601368246038539?s=21
Ooohf absolutely no on those voices, oof. They legitimately turn my stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Its a bit strange their designs are the same. since in the 80's they were riffing off Indiana Jones and Magnum P.I.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm kind of down for this? The voice casting choices are weird/bad but I like the pseudo Roger Rabbit thing they're doing. It looks like the rangers themselves are all CG but it looks like other characters are still hand drawn

https://twitter.com/disneystudios/status/1493601368246038539?s=21

Edit: the response I'm seeing for it isn't positive at all and I totally understand why but idk I'm interested in what they're doing here

This is such a weird thing. I have no idea how to feel about this. It looks like an original mess, so it has that going for it at least.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So they're trying to do a whole movie riffing on animation styles and quirks. That could be right up my alley, but I don't know if the jokes are landing or maybe too inside baseball? Who's going to really be hooked by that "era of motion-capture where nobody makes eye contact properly" gag?

At least it'll be a cameo-spotting fun time, like Roger Rabbit meets Drawn Together meets Ready Player One. Lmao the Opposites Attract cat

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Its a bit strange their designs are the same. since in the 80's they were riffing off Indiana Jones and Magnum P.I.

Is there anything that's come since that they could model their designs off instead? I get the point you're making, but I'm drawing a blank on modern icon outfits that instantly convey "adventurer" and "detective".

Now-a-days we kind of just have our detective and adventurer characters wear "regular clothes" or "regular clothes but dirty", which is fine but not really something that can be used as signifier clothes for cartoon characters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, right in the trailer aren't they doing a gag where Chip is looking for a disguise and he sees the Indiana Jones poster and the them music plays, and he gets the idea from that?

Only ... he's already wearing the outfit?

I don't get it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a big fan of the voices but I suppose the meta humor could be ok as long as it’s done well (which is questionable given the trailer) and isn’t overused

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I mean, right in the trailer aren't they doing a gag where Chip is looking for a disguise and he sees the Indiana Jones poster and the them music plays, and he gets the idea from that?

I don't get it

I think the joke is his clothes changed because he ran thru a Indiana Jones merch store.

Also this trailer is giving me all sorts of mixed feelings, the same I got from Space Jam 2

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Data Graham posted:

I don't get it

The joke is they're trying to grab a costume to hide their identities and Chip grabs the first one he finds which is an Indiana Jones costume, so his outfit doesn't change at all

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I mean I loved RR as a kid and hope this does meta commentary in a good way, but those voices feel wrong to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are Chip & Dale even still played by their original VAs in this movie out of curiosity?

Edit: Apparently nobody from the OG series reprised their role for this as far as I can tell

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I love an inside Hollywood story but I can't get over the voices.

And I like John and Andy but they are not Chip and Dale.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assume they're both Chris Pratt

e: I mean they always had the pitched-up voices in the earlier properties. Why would they back away from that?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

Are Chip & Dale even still played by their original VAs in this movie out of curiosity?

Well one is Andy Samberg and the other is John Mullany so I don't think so lol

The thing is they could still totally have made that work if they pitched their voices up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Well one is Andy Samberg and the other is John Mullany so I don't think so lol

Yeah, I just saw that and edited my post accordingly (in fact, I’m not sure if they got ANYBODY from the OG series back for this)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The voices are god-awful, but the idea could work if executed well. And not do the Disney thing we were just talking about of, "WE OWN THIS. WE OWN THIS."

But speaking of execution, please execute those voices because goddamn. It can't even be a joke about cartoon voices if Monty sounds identical to the OG VA outside work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This article does mention that Tress Macneille might be coming back for this at least:

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1211708-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-trailer

Speaking of, I REALLY hope they don’t gently caress up Gadget’s character too much in this

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 15, 2022

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Zero One posted:

I love an inside Hollywood story but I can't get over the voices.

And I like John and Andy but they are not Chip and Dale.

Yeah basically. I guess here is a legit example of why you hire actual voice actors for your fuckin cartoon. Man why. I’m almost kind of down with this in a Mario Bros movie kind of way but holy poo poo affect some sort of voice for your heavily established cartoon character??

I’m sure there will be a lampshade of how different their voices were on the original show and it will not make up for this travesty at all

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It probably says something about where we are culturally that I'm genuinely surprised Disney went outside of the poo poo they own for some of these IP shout outs.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rescue Rangers feels like a weird property to take this approach with and those voices just feel wrong, but I was a huge fan as a kid so I can't help but give it a shot. At least C&D appear to be the starring characters in this. Too many of these movies fall into the trap of having the cartoon characters play second banana to live-action celebrities.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Boxman posted:

It probably says something about where we are culturally that I'm genuinely surprised Disney went outside of the poo poo they own for some of these IP shout outs.

Yeah, I saw some Hasbro stuff in there for example

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m surprised there is any

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Data Graham posted:

So they're trying to do a whole movie riffing on animation styles and quirks. That could be right up my alley, but I don't know if the jokes are landing or maybe too inside baseball? Who's going to really be hooked by that "era of motion-capture where nobody makes eye contact properly" gag?

It's me, the animation student who appreciated all twenty in-jokes they crammed in there ❤️

It's a free movie on a service I already pay for, I'm down to clown.

Data Graham posted:

I don't get it

We're only seeing clips from the trailer but I'm guessing the gag is that he isn't wearing a jacket during the chase, they run into somewhere quickly without thinking to disguise, double take that he's wearing the same jacket he always wears, only to discover they tried to quick change in an Indy fanbooth.

White Light fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 15, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Parrotine posted:

It's me, the animation student who appreciated all twenty in-jokes they crammed in there ❤️

It's a free movie on a service I already pay for, I'm down to clown.

We're only seeing clips from the trailer but I'm guessing the gag is that he isn't wearing a jacket during the chase, they run into somewhere quickly without thinking to disguise, double take that he's wearing the same jacket he always wears, only to discover they tried to quick change in an Indy fanbooth.

It's funny BECAUSE he's wearing the same outfit he was already in!!!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The thing I think everyone is missing is that Chip isn’t wearing his trademark outfit at first. He appears to be wearing just a dark blazer. Then they say they need to disguise themselves and Chip dives into the clothing rack and comes out wearing the Indiana Jones outfit, thus making him even more recognizable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That aside, I’m getting some big Space Jam: A New Legacy vibes from this movie and that worries me slightly

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like that episode of the Brak Show where Zorak's voice escaped and he transformed into a boy-band singer with a beautiful man-voice

(Or maybe they're doing a long-form version of that nu-DuckTales episode where the same thing happened to Donald)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the voices are loving awful, but we seen Disney has a history of releasing some god loving awful first trailers, so I'm gonna wait until the second trailer to really pass judgment.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I could get behind the idea that they pitched the voices up for the show in-universe, just not those voices.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

J-Spot posted:

Rescue Rangers feels like a weird property to take this approach with and those voices just feel wrong, but I was a huge fan as a kid so I can't help but give it a shot.
I liked the rescue rangers as a kid and I liked Lonely Island as an adult so how could it be bad?? Maybe it could be bad.

I'm not making any judgments based on a trailer because all trailers suck.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh what a precedent was set by the Sonic trailer

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Was it intentional to make the 2D hand animated characters feel rougher than than their original versions?

This whole things feels like they wanted to make a "meta" film and you could slot any Disney 90's afternoon cartoon in and it would work.

They could have made this same movie with Gummy Bears and changed nothing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's almost definitely that Chip and Dale was Andy Samberg's favorite show as a kid.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Casting director goes directly to the gulag but beyond that I’m cautiously optimistic. The idea is weird enough to where it could be a fun ride even if it’s not exactly “good”.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

After coming home and being able to watch it on a real size screen and not my phone, the fake 2D animation on Chip and the others does not look that great now that I can see it in more detail. It's a strange choice considering that it looks like almost all the other 2D characters in the movie look like they're traditionally animated.

Apparently the Tom and Jerry movie wasn't very good, but the way Tom and Jerry move even though they're doing the same kind of technique is much more accurate than what the Chip and Dale movie is doing

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 15, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hmmm... the trailer confirms the "Dale becoming 3D" part from this early leak

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's like a Bad Box Art Mega Man tier joke

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The United States posted:

Hmmm... the trailer confirms the "Dale becoming 3D" part from this early leak

https://twitter.com/AWDtwit/status/1493615909692329985

Really want to know what the more insane stuff is, cause the craziest thing the trailer really throws out is Dale getting the CG procedure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I just watched Sonic 2020 so I'm actually proper primed for any toothy Sonic jokes

I am worried that these ribald hijinks might be too much for the 4 year old I'll probably be watching the movie with