Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Maya never got to be possessed by anyone other than Mia though

play spirit of justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

My Lovely Horse posted:

I agree with that but I also think it easily leads to players saying "Bob uses Diplomacy on this guy to persuade him to back off" or "Alice tries to get on the roof using Athletics" all the time, as in just picking options from a list, and that's bad enough when it's "Bob uses Whirlwind Slash, Alice casts Fireblast" but at least those would both presumably be pre-codified actions that imply what an in-fiction observable event would look like, and they're also things that naturally repeat all the time. Whereas in unique situations I'd like players to describe at least whether it's "Bob appeals to common goals to defuse the situation" or "Bob tries to pass off Alice's insult to the guy as a joke", or "Alice carefully climbs up the drainpipe" vs. "Alice braces herself between the alley walls to get up" just to get an idea of what's going on in-fiction (and these both strike me as things whose description depend a lot on the unique situation you have invoked i.e. not as suitable to catch-all combat-like maneuvers like Common Sense Appeal or Drainpipe Climb).

I can't remember where I read this particular bit of GMing advice, but it's served me well in situations like that: ask players "What does that look like?"

I think there's a strain of player who doesn't want to describe their actions because they feel like doing so will give the GM an excuse to shut them down before the roll -- and I don't even think that's an unfair or inaccurate feeling, since there definitely are GMs who will do that -- but if you let them get the success in the bag then ask them to describe what's going on they can feel a lot freer to get into the details.

A drawback of this system is that it does involve a lot of 'spontaneous generation of setting' including retroactively adding details to scenes, so if you're looking for immersion or the feel that you're exploring a pre-constructed landscape it's not going to fly, but I don't mind that sort of thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Red Metal posted:

play spirit of justice

Ohhhh man been a while so I thought the Kurain just looked at the past I forgot it was the last moments of the victim

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GimpInBlack posted:

There are plenty of reasons speak with dead might not be a reliable tool in a mystery plot. First and most obvious, a mystery doesn't have to be a murder mystery--if nobody's dead, speaking to the dead is of limited usefulness. I don't know the exact specifics of the system you're using and its particular flavor of speak with dead, but it's reasonably common for the spell to require the body of the dead person in question, so proper corpse disposal can add a layer of challenge. Likewise, if the spell limits the number of questions you can ask the dead, you might still be missing vital context if all you get is the name of the person who killed them. Then, of course, the dead might not be omniscient--if the victim was koshed on the back of the head, drank poisoned wine, or died in a "tragic hunting accident," they might not know who killed them. If the PCs are acting as agents of a justice system and thus have to care about due process, maybe there's a reason postmortem witness statements are inadmissible in court. And, of course, unless the spell in question obligates the shade to tell the truth, the dead might lie to you, just like any character involved in a mystery story. Maybe the victim was actually killed by their brother, for example, but the ghost cares less about justice than ruining their hated business rival, and sees a bunch of well-armed spellthugs poking around into their death as the perfect opportunity.

More broadly, assuming you're talking about a setting like your typical D&D world, where people can be reasonably expected to be aware that the possibility of someone speaking with a dead person as part of an investigation, that's going to shape both the methods and motives for murders. If a dead person can be communed with, or raised from the dead, or whatever, killing people to silence them is no longer a good idea.

So consider how your very clever criminal would adjust their methods and approaches, and how speaking with the dead to get the name of the killer isn't necessarily the simple, clean-cut solution to an interesting mystery. (And yes, obviously there are still going to be dumb murderers and ones who acted in a panic or whatever and it's very easy to solve the case by speaking with dead at the victim and asking whodunit, but those are not the crimes around which you build a murder mystery, any more than Agatha Christie writes novels where the crime is a straightforward "argument escalated to violence, a dozen witnesses saw the killer pull a gun and shoot the victim in the middle of the bar.")

also: 'it was dark, i couldn't see the killer'

or, for preference, the killer was polymorphed into someone else, like the guy casting 'speak with dead'

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

No, I just think it's stupid to make a chase subsystem which doesn't allow for the pursuer shooting at the person they're chasing.
It does though

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Andrast posted:

I think having a lot of variety and options is fun. Hell, having an option for charop is fun and making a mechanically synergistic character/party is satisfying. Not everything needs to be 100% super balanced as long as the core mechanics are good and stuff doesn't get too out of hand.

Pathfinder also does have a focus: It's a crunchy system with an emphasis on tactical combat and dungeon delving, you know like Dungeons & Dragons. People often hone in way too much on the "if you want a game about mystery solving just run this game specifically made for mysteries" thing, sometimes you might just want some light mystery solving during your normal adventures. Like, maybe there's a cult doing some murders and you need to know where their base is so you can go gently caress them up. Having speak with dead available there could be a problem or it might just be a fun way to get some info, depends on the situation. I certainly do not see what would really be gained by removing it entirely.

I mean, even if you want "variety and options," at some point there's a limit. You've added all the options that actually add variety without obviating other options or being over/underpowered by a considerable degree or synergizing with some other ability in a way that's unfun. It's good to have options, but options by themselves are not good. At some point you're adding options that just subtract from the ones you've already added.

I'm also not saying that every game needs to have a laser focus and only be able to handle one subsystem, but at the same time every game needs to know what it is and what it wants to do. You can't have a game that does everything well, that usually just leads to a system that does nothing well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, even if you want "variety and options," at some point there's a limit. You've added all the options that actually add variety without obviating other options or being over/underpowered by a considerable degree or synergizing with some other ability in a way that's unfun. It's good to have options, but options by themselves are not good. At some point you're adding options that just subtract from the ones you've already added.

I'm also not saying that every game needs to have a laser focus and only be able to handle one subsystem, but at the same time every game needs to know what it is and what it wants to do. You can't have a game that does everything well, that usually just leads to a system that does nothing well.

Sure but I think there's a long way to go still before there's just too much stuff. I'll happily take a few more years of extra stuff for PF2.

Also if I don't like something, I can just not use those supplements.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not even D&D 4E survived being expanded into multiple splatbooks, Dragon magazines and campaign settings, let alone a whole passive-aggressive reboot
Apparently Dragon had really weird mechanical content requirements for class acts/winning races articles. Something like if your article contains a feat it must contain at least eight feats, weird stuff like that which all but required authors to include half-assed space fillers to meet minimum requirements. I've been trying to find where I read it but it's long gone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not even D&D 4E survived being expanded into multiple splatbooks, Dragon magazines and campaign settings, let alone a whole passive-aggressive reboot
I was gonna say, whatever half-dwarf sprinting flickmacer situation is going on here sounds like the "Kulkor Battlemaster Thief" from 4e Essentials. Yeah, you can make a very potent one-trick pony with weird optimization tricks, but it's more of a thought experiment than a character you'd want to play...except in Lair Assault, which is built for that kind of thing.

(For the layman: the Essentials Thief has a stance that lets you knock people prone with every attack. If you take an unlikely chain of Fighter feats, you can get an ability that gives you a free attack on everyone you knock prone.)

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with this, but it's kind of funny coming from a Dominions player.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

It does though

It doesn't.You have to gain a certain number of Chase points to overcome each obstacle while the NPC you're chasing gains Chase points at a fixed rate, and if you tie with them, you catch them. There's no mapping of chase points to physical distance, and the range of obstacles used in the APs is huge - some actually stop you moving, some are just difficult to move through, some break LOS and some don't, etc. So there's no rules to help you judge what range you have to a target and whether or not you have line of effect to them. And that's especially bad because some of the standard ranges are extremely high - I have no idea why they gave Fireball a 500 foot range but they did. There's a ton of other issues with it being divorced from the standard systems too - for example, casting Haste on someone in a chase makes no difference per RAW!

Compare that to SWADE, where the mapping of chase cards to physical distance is literally the first table in the chase section, and breaking LOS to escape the chase is a particular manuever that requires a certain level of lead. I did try to see if AW had chase rules, but the nearest seems to be to decide if a confrontation happens at your choice of location or the others, which makes a certain amount of sense from the point of view of moving the story forward.

My Lovely Horse posted:

(and these both strike me as things whose description depend a lot on the unique situation you have invoked i.e. not as suitable to catch-all combat-like maneuvers like Common Sense Appeal or Drainpipe Climb).

Sadly, Paizo seem to be working the opposite way, especially in the setting books. The worst case is that shifting a log you are standing on back and forth in order to cause someone else to fall off it is an Archetype Feat. So to be able to do it, you have to take a feat, and that feat requires you to be a lumberjack trained by a very specific group of lumberjacks. (Actually, the feat works on any uneven surface which is a bit better for a feat, but it does mean that if you're on a tightrope and want to shake the tightrope to make someone else fall off, you have to be a lumberjack. No amount of circus experience will allow you to do this, which since there is an AP about running a circus, is a bigger omission than you might think.)

hyphz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 15, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hyphz posted:

Sadly, Paizo seem to be working the opposite way, especially in the setting books. The worst case is that shifting a log you are standing on back and forth in order to cause someone else to fall off it is an Archetype Feat. So to be able to do it, you have to take a feat, and that feat requires you to be a lumberjack trained by a very specific group of lumberjacks. (Actually, the feat works on any uneven surface which is a bit better for a feat, but it does mean that if you're on a tightrope and want to shake the tightrope to make someone else fall off, you have to be a lumberjack. No amount of circus experience will allow you to do this, which since there is an AP about running a circus, is a bigger omission than you might think.)

Something being a feat doesn't mean that a character without the feat can't do a similar thing. It means that the feat haver will always be able to do it no questions asked.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 15, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Something being a feat doesn't mean that a character without the feat can't do a similar thing. It means that the feat haver will always be able to do it no questions asked.
Well, to you and me it does. To the greater D&D/PF playing population I sadly suspect it means precisely the other thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Andrast posted:

Sure, but this is nonetheless a perfect example of something that should never be a feat in the first place. It's too narrow, it's something you should be able to do with a skill, and if the DM puts PCs in this specific situation, everyone should be getting in on using the environment against their opponents.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's probably a more relevant feat in a campaign where you might pick up the "Turpin Rowe Lumberjack" archetype but it does seem pretty narrow

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

It doesn't.You have to gain a certain number of Chase points to overcome each obstacle while the NPC you're chasing gains Chase points at a fixed rate, and if you tie with them, you catch them.
And you can attempt to gain a chase point by shooting at them. You don't employ the abstract and arbitrary HP mechanic that only exists for and during combat mode but you can absolutely use the concept of shooting at a guy to help you gain on them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

sebmojo posted:

also: 'it was dark, i couldn't see the killer'

or, for preference, the killer was polymorphed into someone else, like the guy casting 'speak with dead'

The one time I had a murder mystery where this came up the victims didn't even really comprehend that they were dead. They could provide some useful Intel but not any smoking gun.

Alternative more fun option, the victim lies. A murdered B, but B hates C so much that even in death they'll testify against C

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The Vlad Taltos novels by Steven Brust has an interesting take on the subject: it's a world where resurrection is inexpensive and reliable (...up to a point), so assassinating someone is a way to send them a warning (the implication being that the next time your dead body will be chopped up and deposited in scattered place, making resurrection impossible). Thus, really good assassins make a point not to be seen by their victims so that even when they're resurrected they have nothing to trace back or take revenge on.

Speak With Dead doesn't help you solve a mystery when all the dead person can tell you is "I was sitting there, I thought I was alone, and then someone threw a hood over my head and then grabbed me and cut my throat."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with this, but it's kind of funny coming from a Dominions player.

I'll note that I'm a Dominions player who dislikes Dominions Enhanced, which does just this, adds a shitload more options on top that in nine cases out of ten completely gently caress the balance. :v:

Also Dominions is a perfectly* balanced** experience.

Andrast posted:

I mean, if the feat specifically lets you do it, then it would seem to imply that lacking the feat, by RAW, means you can't do it, unless there's a subtext elsewhere that goes: "you can do the same thing as this feat but with a -X penalty."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

hyphz posted:

Personally, I feel like Paizo could solve my issues with this approach with two pieces of GM advice.

1) Establish that anyone can try to do the same basic thing, it'd just be a regular-rear end trip attempt. Maybe give them a +1 bonus for doing something cool the first time they do it, GM's discretion. Non-attack maneuvers are already something Pathfinder 2e encourages, just make sure people know that feats like this aren't intended to be limiting that way.

2) Write a long example of a GM deciding what archetypes to actively recommend their players take in their campaign, and have it include them deciding to take this archetype for an adventure path's local logging company and reflavor it for their local logging company. Heck, maybe they can even reflavor it enough to fit a local mining company. Something that lets GMs feel like they're allowed to take these mechanics that are technically tied to very specific locations in Golarion and reuse them if they see a spot for them that feels appropriate in their home games.

As is it feeds into some of Pathfinder's worse tendencies, but I feel like you can still make it work.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, if the feat specifically lets you do it, then it would seem to imply that lacking the feat, by RAW, means you can't do it, unless there's a subtext elsewhere that goes: "you can do the same thing as this feat but with a -X penalty."

Well, mechanically the feat is kind of just a trip or a shove with acrobatics instead of athletics and some additional restrictions. Nothing is stopping people from doing a trip on a log.

edit: also I extremely disagree with this kind of stuff implying you can't do similar stuff at all because of a feat, mostly because it would be incredibly dumb

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

Well, mechanically the feat is kind of just a trip or a shove with acrobatics instead of athletics and some additional restrictions. Nothing is stopping people from doing a trip on a log.

edit: also I extremely disagree with this kind of stuff implying you can't do similar stuff at all because of a feat, mostly because it would be incredibly dumb

It's dumb, but it's how people's brains work. Which is why you need to explicitly say it doesn't and foster a different approach to looking at rules in your game and so on.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Andrast posted:

But if you can already do it (with sufficient ease to be viable), then what’s the point of the feat? Because the feat is in competition with a bunch of others.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

But if you can already do it (with sufficient ease to be viable), then what’s the point of the feat? Because the feat is in competition with a bunch of others.

The feat does let you do it with acrobatics instead of athletics, making it quite a lot stronger for people are specialized in that. It doesn't seem like a very strong feat though since it is very niche.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's dumb, but it's how people's brains work. Which is why you need to explicitly say it doesn't and foster a different approach to looking at rules in your game and so on.

Yeah, I agree. They should probably write it out explicitly.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

hyphz posted:

It doesn't.You have to gain a certain number of Chase points to overcome each obstacle while the NPC you're chasing gains Chase points at a fixed rate, and if you tie with them, you catch them. There's no mapping of chase points to physical distance, and the range of obstacles used in the APs is huge - some actually stop you moving, some are just difficult to move through, some break LOS and some don't, etc. So there's no rules to help you judge what range you have to a target and whether or not you have line of effect to them. And that's especially bad because some of the standard ranges are extremely high - I have no idea why they gave Fireball a 500 foot range but they did. There's a ton of other issues with it being divorced from the standard systems too - for example, casting Haste on someone in a chase makes no difference per RAW!

Compare that to SWADE, where the mapping of chase cards to physical distance is literally the first table in the chase section, and breaking LOS to escape the chase is a particular manuever that requires a certain level of lead. I did try to see if AW had chase rules, but the nearest seems to be to decide if a confrontation happens at your choice of location or the others, which makes a certain amount of sense from the point of view of moving the story forward.

Again, as others have pointed out, it seems like the big problem you're grappling with is assuming that the usual rules of engagement for combat apply during a chase - When you pull out the chase system you're essentially plopping the characters down into a separate little subsystem and all actions they could take need to be adjudicated in that subsystem. If a player wants to burn a spell slot to cast fireball during the chase then they can do that, but the results will be adjudicated within the chase subsystem (ie, the fireball will result in either the players gaining additional chase points or the enemy gaining fewer chase points).

(Again, I'm not at all versed in the larger system of PF2e and am going off the system as I understand it, so if my explanation is off-base, someone who's better versed in the system should feel free to correct me)

hyphz posted:

Oh no, not the lumberjack feat again. The last time there was a forum discussion about this it didn't go well...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

Oh no, not the lumberjack feat again. The last time there was a forum discussion about this it didn't go well...

This specific feat has come up before? Amazing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Andrast posted:

Everyone wants a log!

You're gonna love it, log!

Come on and get your log!

Everyone needs a log!

You're gonna love it, log!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My gold standard for this kind of thing is something System Mastery brought up--there's a feat in XCrawl that lets you dodge a difficult question by just changing the subject. You know, an extremely basic use of the Diplomacy skill.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also, this is partially a problem with held-over expectations from PF 1e. Because it did have combat maneuvers that were completely useless without heavy feat investment, and it did release a ton of feats to do incredibly specific things that were necessary to do that specific thing at all in a way that's mechanically viable. So Pathfinder fans are now predisposed to think about feats in that way, and it makes the problem worse.

(And as other people mentioned, Pathfinder itself was just continuing a long tradition of feats being limiting this way from earlier d20 RPGs, and so on. It's a problem.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 15, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Previous discussion starts here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3849301&pagenumber=606&perpage=40&highlight=lumberjack#post513507381

tl;dr, in PF2E, some feats go on a special "archetype" feat track that you access as part of adventure- (or path-) specific scenarios, and shouldn't be looked at as a thing you consider for your character, outside the domain of that specific adventure path. In an adventure about lumberjacks, characters who get adopted into the lumberjack guild get access to a feat that helps them trip up opponents, by virtue of all that practice rolling logs they're getting. This is an interesting little tidbit that adds flavor to the game.

It's not meant to be like D&D, where your GM says "you can take feats from the main books plus supplements A through F" and then you see the lumberjack log rolling trip feat and go "ahah, just what I was looking for" and add it on. It's not competing with more general feats because it's only on the archetype track, and it's not intended to be an option for characters outside that path.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Leperflesh posted:

In an adventure about lumberjacks, characters who get adopted into the lumberjack guild get access to a feat that helps them trip up opponents, by virtue of all that practice rolling logs they're getting. This is an interesting little tidbit that adds flavor to the game.

Alas, that would be much better if it was the case, but it isn't. Instead, it's just an obvious result of Paizo apparently mandating that every AP must contain at least a new Archetype (or on one occasion a new Ancestry). The PCs get to visit a festival run by the lumberjack guild. There's nothing in the adventure that suggests the lumberjacks might train the PCs or let them join - in fact, it's more suggested that the PCs might hire some of the lumberjacks to join their circus.

The exact same thing happens in one of the Ruby Phoenix adventures - it's mentioned that the local Golden League mafia might try to manipulate betting on the Ruby Phoenix Tournament, and the PCs can have an encounter with some of their goons trying to strong-arm them and then attack them. The adventure also gives the archetype Golden League Enforcer. There's nothing in any part of the adventure that suggests that a PC deciding to join the Golden League would ever be a good idea or even vaguely fit into what's going on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe they just like having a bunch of flavorful setting specific archetypes and adventures paths taking place in those areas are a good place to showcase them

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, I see. Well, that's not as interesting of an adventure design, but the base point still holds: it's an error to compare adventure path specific feats, which occupy slots on a special feat track, to the way feats work in D&D, and then criticize them on that basis.

I am neutral on whether PF2E's feats implementation is good, I don't know or play the game. I just read that previous conversation and felt like it was worth summarizing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, I see. Well, that's not as interesting of an adventure design, but the base point still holds: it's an error to compare adventure path specific feats, which occupy slots on a special feat track, to the way feats work in D&D, and then criticize them on that basis.

I am neutral on whether PF2E's feats implementation is good, I don't know or play the game. I just read that previous conversation and felt like it was worth summarizing.

In a vacuum archetypes do actually compete with class feats since the normal way to get archetype feats is to use your class feat slots for them. "Free Archetype" where everyone gets free archetype progression is very popular though and even Paizo's newest full AP Strength of Thousands implements a version of that and has all the player characters have either druid or wizard archetype feats for free since the campaign is about the party being students in a magic school located in fantasy-africa.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I saw someone (maybe you) say exactly that in the other thread, and just elided it for brevity. I presume that a good GM using these feats will take that free option.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I saw someone (maybe you) say exactly that in the other thread, and just elided it for brevity. I presume that a good GM using these feats will take that free option.

You have to be very careful about which feats you allow them to take. This was what allowed my players to all take Talisman Dabbler Dedication in order to churn out multiple one-shot power-ups for the bard every game day at no cost.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

And you can attempt to gain a chase point by shooting at them. You don't employ the abstract and arbitrary HP mechanic that only exists for and during combat mode but you can absolutely use the concept of shooting at a guy to help you gain on them.

But you can see where that has issues within the context of the broader system, right?

As a wizard, the tool I have to use to shoot at him is my fireball spell. But if I expend that, I don't get it back. And I get no advantage by casting a strong spell with a longer range than by casting a weaker spell. Hyphz says that even having had Haste cast on you before the chase doesn't do anything.

So you have a problem at the interface between the generic Chase system where many different actions are mechanically equal and the rest of the game where those actions are very much not equal and there are whole resource systems built around them being unequal.

I'm having to think hard about this with what I'm working on now, because Tailfeathers has specific spells you can learn with specific effects, but is also based on Strike! so I have to think about things like "this totally seems like a spell someone would cast during or before a chase. How should that work? What do they get in the Chase for having done that?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I base all my chase sessions on TMNT Turtles in Time's Sewer Surfin' level. In that they aren't actual skill challenges, they're just setpieces. Mostly because it's a lot easier than writing a story where the enemy might get away and that's just the end of that conflict all of a sudden. So instead you get to use your character tools to blast mooks for a while, then Rat King comes in and you do a fight between people on flying platforms that match speed, which is silly in real life but super cool in a fake fight.

Also I play that stage theme because it's really good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jimbozig posted:

But you can see where that has issues within the context of the broader system, right?

As a wizard, the tool I have to use to shoot at him is my fireball spell. But if I expend that, I don't get it back. And I get no advantage by casting a strong spell with a longer range than by casting a weaker spell. Hyphz says that even having had Haste cast on you before the chase doesn't do anything.

So you have a problem at the interface between the generic Chase system where many different actions are mechanically equal and the rest of the game where those actions are very much not equal and there are whole resource systems built around them being unequal.

I'm having to think hard about this with what I'm working on now, because Tailfeathers has specific spells you can learn with specific effects, but is also based on Strike! so I have to think about things like "this totally seems like a spell someone would cast during or before a chase. How should that work? What do they get in the Chase for having done that?"

get X points of chase bonus for using an X level spell, fluff it appropriately, if it's a damaging spell then when they catch him he's down some HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

theironjef posted:

I base all my chase sessions on TMNT Turtles in Time's Sewer Surfin' level. In that they aren't actual skill challenges, they're just setpieces. Mostly because it's a lot easier than writing a story where the enemy might get away and that's just the end of that conflict all of a sudden. So instead you get to use your character tools to blast mooks for a while, then Rat King comes in and you do a fight between people on flying platforms that match speed, which is silly in real life but super cool in a fake fight.

Also I play that stage theme because it's really good.

Legit stealing this.