Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

The only actually decent things the "metaverse" can do are AR poo poo that augment jobs and make them less annoying/give you more control and clarity--and that's definitely not VR meeting rooms or whatever bullshit metas peddling.

This is the only reason anyone uses Microsoft teams, so the business model is there in tech land.

Don't worry, the knock off Charles Entertainment Cheese can host a concert as a teambuilding exercise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Lib and let die posted:

I remember Virtual Boy lol

I remember a kiosk in Sears back in 1995 that had a demo of that poo poo. Five minutes was enough. I swear I started seeing black spots for like an hour afterwards.

So that story of Fort Bragg soldiers turning up dead had me watch Buffalo Soldiers again. It doesn't hold up really well. Yeah, the satirical nature of the flick doomed any chance of support from the US military, but the special effects look like something out of a cheap Tommy Wiseau movie. You've got a pretty solid cast of Joaquin Phoenix, Anna Paquin, and Michael Pena and they all seem to phone it in. Ed Harris and the dude who plays the rear end in a top hat Sergeant were amazing.

Shoutout to Idris Elba for having a cameo. He has a pretty bad generic American accent. I wanna say this movie was filmed about a year before he got his break in the Wire.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

i say swears online posted:

remember the myriad VR episodes of 90s sitcoms? they'd go to a therapist or something who'd recommend it and then they'd film some sort of green screen thing and call it VR

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao disclosure

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

who could forget first kid

https://i.imgur.com/z3g3P97.mp4

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEIJP3eDc8M

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the 90s were on point in predicting gamer girlfriends

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm sure people will love using these things in all the extra space they have in their 2BR apartment that costs $3500 a month

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I'm sure people will love using these things in all the extra space they have in their 2BR apartment that costs $3500 a month

Everyone in the company town will be afforded a living pod complete with a kitchen, a bed, a half-bath, a VR headset, and a stationary tread device to emulate ambulatory motion in VR so that not only will you never need to leave CompanyTown, but you'll never want to!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
When they figure out how to do reliable haptic VR gloves we're truly through the looking glass--haptic cock sleeves won't be far off

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god every movie needs to reference other properties under the same corporation now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK1CuXG7GMQ

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

oh my god every movie needs to reference other properties under the same corporation now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
lets make a rescue rangers reboot that takes place in the who framed roger rabbit universe that goes into deep detail about how the toons in reality worldbuilding works

- some real person at a real meeting who somehow wasnt immediately thrown out the window

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Some Guy TT posted:

lets make a rescue rangers reboot that takes place in the who framed roger rabbit universe that goes into deep detail about how the toons in reality worldbuilding works

- some real person at a real meeting who somehow wasnt immediately thrown out the window

I mean, that sounds like a cool bullshit job insofar as bullshit entertainment jobs go. It's the corporate version of a YouTuber making 10hr videos explaining kingdom hearts lore.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb09abgOno8

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah it's not second life. it's second life with all the human weirdness on display filtered and sanded down so that no one accidentally has an unpleasant experience. it's infinitely worse

Ralph pls go

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This is why evil always wins

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
why is everything a reference to old poo poo

can't we just have a movie about a cool detective that solves a tough case or a movie about people finding love in the big city or something. and they aren't superheroes and it's not in the star wars universe

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
lol that the trailer dedicates all this energy to random references and almost nothing to gadget

when you have a very good understanding of the audience most likely to be interested in a rescue rangers reboot

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

lol that the trailer dedicates all this energy to random references and almost nothing to gadget

when you have a very good understanding of the audience most likely to be interested in a rescue rangers reboot

That one GBS mod that wrote erotic fanfic and sniffed girls' hair on the train?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

can't we just have a movie about a cool detective that solves a tough case or a movie about people finding love in the big city or something. and they aren't superheroes and it's not in the star wars universe

no

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I heard "the worst person in the world" is good

"drive my car" is good

don't expect the studios and streaming services to save you

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I love when intellectual property incorporates other intellectual property into itself.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Antonymous posted:

I heard "the worst person in the world" is good

"drive my car" is good

don't expect the studios and streaming services to save you

can confirm the 1st is good

drive my car is coming to hbomax on march 2nd —— looking forward to it! as a i said earlier

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

watch KIMI on hbomax, it's only 90 minutes and is a very fun ride. it's an original story and a detective movie in a way and about finding live in the big city —— checks all your boxes!

if you watch the trailer, please know it (the trailer) sucks poo poo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember being 13 and playing Wario on virtual boy while listening to Dracula on cassette and being like "Uh there's some stuff going on with this book. Stuff that I don't fully understand."

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
are phones in the metaverse? like can I be in VR on my virtual handheld device that also has ads etc? because that sounds cursed as hell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah lol i was like "where's the hot mouse? that's what i want"

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nightmare Alley just came out. Neo noir detective movie. I heard it's good if you want to brave the theatres during a pandemic

:theroni:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nightmare alley is now streaming on both hulu and hbomax (it's also a "remake" of the 1947 film/adaptation of the 1946 novel)

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

(it's also a "remake" )

God drat it

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_romance_movies/

Popped through that list a little bit, and figured the biggest romance movie made in the last 5 years is the 'Shape of Water.'
And the most well know romance movie: is the movie 'Titanic.'
(With Brokeback mountain being another notable entry.)

'Shape of Water' and 'Titanic' did what movies did best: show off special effects.
(Taboo subject like gay people also bring in the crowds)
Romance movies are cheap to make. That is why The Hallmark Channel can pop them out like detective novels.

If everybody can do it, then then risk is too high. The movie might not make back it's money.
On top of that the goal of every movie is to make an ungodly amount of money.

To paraphrase my friend, "Why spend a million dollars to make 2 million dollars, when you can spend 10 million to make 200 million."

Romance movies used to be 'worth it,' to make, because movies were harder to make.
Also theaters provided exclusive experience for a person's time.

Home theaters systems and streaming have chipped away that experience and time.
Now gate keeping is: how much can you afford for a CGI render farm,
Which celebrity can you afford, and which brand/universe can you leverage?

(There are probably other factors too. I am not the end-all-be-all.)

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 02:05 on Feb 16, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's nightmarish to think that even cartoon characters can be subject to the washed up has-been comeback format. They lived in a freakin' tree.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dale had a funny voice, will he mention Elon?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Casey Finnigan posted:

quote:

The slow cancellation of the future has been accompanied by a deflation of expectations. There can be few who believe that in the coming year a record as great as, say, the Stooges’ Funhouse or Sly Stone’s There’s A Riot Goin’ On will be released. Still less do we expect the kind of ruptures brought about by The Beatles or disco. The feeling of belatedness, of living after the gold rush, is as omnipresent as it is disavowed. Compare the fallow terrain of the current moment with the fecundity of previous periods and you will quickly be accused of ‘nostalgia’. But the reliance of current artists on styles that were established long ago suggests that the current moment is in the grip of a formal nostalgia, of which more shortly.

It is not that nothing happened in the period when the slow cancellation of the future set in. On the contrary, those thirty years has been a time of massive, traumatic change. In the UK, the election of Margaret Thatcher had brought to an end the uneasy compromises of the so-called postwar social consensus. Thatcher’s neoliberal programme in politics was reinforced by a transnational restructuring of the capitalist economy. The shift into so-called Post-Fordism – with globalization, ubiquitous computerization and the casualisation of labour – resulted in a complete transformation in the way that work and leisure were organised. In the last ten to fifteen years, meanwhile, the internet and mobile telecommunications technology have altered the texture of everyday experience beyond all recognition. Yet, perhaps because of all this, there’s an increasing sense that culture has lost the ability to grasp and articulate the present. Or it could be that, in one very important sense, there is no present to grasp and articulate anymore.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol millennials have become boomers so quickly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Monterey Jack's name is on the Lolita Express flight logs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

indigi posted:

lol millennials have become boomers so quickly

all we were waiting for was for corporations to cater to our fond memories of the 80s and 90s.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Monterey Jack's name is on the Lolita Express flight logs

Definitely, but he was only there for the cheese plates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
------
Proving that Romance movies had Spectacle (special effects)

Harry met sally diner scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNEX0fbGePg

Reservoir dogs diner scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyR4RK0LA_E

Harry met sally had MONEY. The amount of extras and how big the diner is, show off that cash.
They had a day where everybody showed up, and they had tons of retakes

Reservoir dogs was an afternoon.
Tarantino talks a lot in the beginning, because if he screw up, so what, he can just over dub. Everybody else's time is worth a lot money.
The camera work is moving around and done well, but it's covering up how cheaply the movie is. Bad shot here, cut to another take.
And a lot of close up to the face shots.

You can map out their afternoon:
1. Do the Harvey monologue with the extras, pound it out in a few takes, extras don't even need catering.
2. Do the close up head shots with dialogue about the tips.
3. Have everybody record a few lines that react to the Madonna monologue
4. Have the diner operate normally while making b-reel of the the camera moving around and pretending to talk about Madonna
5. Done. Dub in that Madonna monologue later.

Harry met sally has overall longer shots, and they are wide shots with extras.

But giving Tarantino his due, he gave Mr. White the longest single shot with extras in the background, at 20 seconds,
In harry met sally the longest shot is at most 9 seconds, during the fake orgasm performance.

And confidence in the Audience, Actor, and Film making skill is why people remember Tarantino's name, and I had to look up Rob Reiner's name

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Feb 16, 2022