Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Genuine question here for anyone with brain worms more active than mine, how could minks 2 be interpreted by russians/ukrainians differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
breaking: putin has uncoiled his 12" cock

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

cyka blyat (in american: "death to ukraine")

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
is it invasion time its the16th of the third world war

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Genuine question here for anyone with brain worms more active than mine, how could minks 2 be interpreted by russians/ukrainians differently?

there are timeline differences, both countries think the "stick" part of a carrot-and-stick agreement should manifest at a different time. specifically, changing ukraine's constitution to allow near-total autonomy to the eastern provinces

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
wheres my russian tank battalion movement maps

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
are the mapguys on tiop of this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
‘circumstances dictate i make this post’ owns

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffle House posted:

How is referring to any hyperpower in 2022 as, "Imperialist" a hot take, anyway?

*Facebook* is technically an Imperialist entity, completely independent of the United States, even. :v:

you have a seemingly problematic interpretation of what constitutes imperialism.

fyi China is not an imperialist nation

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The rights to language self determination also seem to be a dealbreaker based on Ukraine’s actions on that front

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It was really poorly written and requires a lot of very specific things like a full constitutional amending to grant autonomy to the region and basically the Ukrainians have been in complete shambles since it so they're trying to get out of it with a generic 'uh well that sounds really hard and technically I didn't sign it so'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so basically it's not genuinely a 'different interpretation' so much as it is Ukraine going 'I'd rather not follow that' and Russia going 'well...you loving should????'

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
oh hey its waffle house, whats up man

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
PSA: Please refer to the nation as "Ukraine" and not "the Ukraine." We've gotten several reports over the last few days that "the Ukraine" is a somewhat annoying dogwhistle and of course the official name of the nation is "Ukraine."

We're not going to probe on sight, this is mostly a reminder. Someone might catch a probe if it seems like they're doing it intentionally to be inflammatory.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

PSA: Please refer to the nation as "Ukraine" and not "the Ukraine." We've gotten several reports over the last few days that "the Ukraine" is a somewhat annoying dogwhistle and of course the official name of the nation is "Ukraine."

We're not going to probe on sight, this is mostly a reminder. Someone might catch a probe if it seems like they're doing it intentionally to be inflammatory.

dogwhistle lmfao

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
thine ukraine

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
mods not understanding difference between nation and state. thats a fail

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
thesen timbers of thine thimbrous land of the ukraine

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How's the invasion going, son?

Have the lurkers revealed themselves?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I'll be honest and say that even as someone who's not particularly sympathetic to Ukraine it does feel like a deliberate choice to be a little crappy sometimes, like when Will was repeatedly saying it on Chapo, but it's such a petty thing to moderate over, especially when it just further aligns them with one side despite the new forum rules supposedly being content neutral.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Omfg wasn't, like, CNN using "the"?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

An Ukraine

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sexpig by night posted:

minor rus' it is then!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
THEE Ukraine

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

thatfatkid posted:

you have a seemingly problematic interpretation of what constitutes imperialism.

fyi China is not an imperialist nation

It's peculiar how subjective that interpretation can be, isn't it? For example, while it could be over-simplified that Hong Kong was within China's geographic territory, I am not so sure it was truly justifiable how they "did" it; that population had grown so different over the years that autonomy may have been a better and more *economically* beneficial answer. As the lines of "Westernism" blur into history's dustbin, given the world's interconnected nature, Taiwan is just the same, IMO.

If local mujahideen started supporting the Uyghurs, with perhaps a superpower like Turkey for example assisting in proxy, where would you put your chips, so to speak?

lollontee posted:

oh hey its waffle house, whats up man

Hey! Can I thank you again for being there during my episode for the bizarre private messages? Having an initial person to talk to with experience actually proved to be very, very good for my recovery, and I did think of you often as things got better.
If you're still experiencing any difficulty, I have a couple of cognitive behavioral methods that I found, and personal advice you may be able to tailor to your own needs; everyone is different.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

only referring to ukraine as "the russian borderland" now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Azov Republic of Ukraine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waffle House posted:

It's peculiar how subjective that interpretation can be, isn't it? For example, while it could be over-simplified that Hong Kong was within China's geographic territory, I am not so sure it was truly justifiable how they "did" it; that population had grown so different over the years that autonomy may have been a better and more *economically* beneficial answer. As the lines of "Westernism" blur into history's dustbin, given the world's interconnected nature, Taiwan is just the same, IMO.

If local mujahideen started supporting the Uyghurs, with perhaps a superpower like Turkey for example assisting in proxy, where would you put your chips, so to speak?

Hey! Can I thank you again for being there during my episode for the bizarre private messages? Having an initial person to talk to with experience actually proved to be very, very good for my recovery, and I did think of you often as things got better.
If you're still experiencing any difficulty, I have a couple of cognitive behavioral methods that I found, and personal advice you may be able to tailor to your own needs; everyone is different.

I'd put them all on Black since the odds are 50/50 aka centrist

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Someone near the Reuters livestream of Kiev is now playing Komm, süsser Tod

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
west ossetia

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'how do you pronounce the capital's name'

'(user was banned for this post)'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Waffle House posted:

It's peculiar how subjective that interpretation can be, isn't it?
i don't think it's as much subjective as correct and incorrect interpretations

quote:

still on china

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
supporting Uyghurs in what

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Greater Lithuanian Commonwealth

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

The Azov Republic of Ukraine

actually possible to become reality in the coming months

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lmfao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
do these people think all muslims are the same?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffle House posted:

Not being dismissive, i honestly dont know what you're asking re: Turkey and Uyghurs :/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

minor rus' it is then!

Got some hot new ideas for an HoI mod if anyone is interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

actually possible to become reality in the coming months

Yeah and pointing it out if it did would still lead to "but what about the Nazis on Russia's side who made them do it," from the same people who think discussing the root causes of Russia's problems with Ukraine today is evil.