Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I took a couple months off. Holidaze, moving my record room. But now I'm back on track making those mixes.

quote:

Happy V.D. Here. I made the aural equivalent. One hour of 70's and 80's schlock. A bunch 12' club records that flew under the radar. I lure you in with a couple of smooth jams and then bam! A disco eruption! Right into your earholes. I apologize. Unless you like this kinda poo poo. In which case. You're welcome.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-disco-eruption/

Kinda the result of trying to go through and get rid of poo poo. But of course once I start listening I don't want to get rid of anything. haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

sporklift posted:

I took a couple months off. Holidaze, moving my record room. But now I'm back on track making those mixes.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-disco-eruption/

Kinda the result of trying to go through and get rid of poo poo. But of course once I start listening I don't want to get rid of anything. haha.

I hope you consider also adding these to a Google Drive folder or some such in the future, so I can easily download them, make it much easier to take with me on a walk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

beeker posted:

Was it a record store owned by Morrissey?

Morrissey would have signed it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

I hope you consider also adding these to a Google Drive folder or some such in the future, so I can easily download them, make it much easier to take with me on a walk

I feel that sharing the audio file might run afoul of our archaic copyright laws. I tried live streaming a mix on Instagram and was shut down pretty fast. With Mixcloud it is 100% legal and supposedly the artists get paid.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

JAMOOOL posted:

new Animal Collective record is incredible. it's pretty much exactly the record everyone seemed to wish they would make after Painting With. basically an entire album of "Bluish"

:hellyeah:

I was busy hosting visitors for the last week and haven't had a chance to listen to mine yet.

caligulamprey posted:

I've seen the show twice, Hippie Jam Band-era Animal Collective owns.

Also: Rudimentary Peni's Death Church is now available stateside through Sorry State! https://www.sorrystaterecords.com/products/220203904

Can't wait for the Cacophony reissue. :getin:

:hellyeah:

I was going to brag post all my sweet Rudi Peni OPs but I moved a year ago and all my records are a mess and I can't even find them :smith:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

So I found this record brush at the thrift store for $2. I think it's from the 70s or 80s, it's pretty heavy.

Anyone know what the plug is for on top? My best guess is that I can rinse it out and open that plug to help it dry out again.

Also, it does a great job getting the dust into a line so I can snort it (maybe not a bad idea with 80s records...), but seriously how am I supposed to get it off the record at this point? lol I guess I could brush it and then wet clean it. Maybe I'm supposed to wet the brush so the dust clings to it? I dunno.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

So I found this record brush at the thrift store for $2. I think it's from the 70s or 80s, it's pretty heavy.

Anyone know what the plug is for on top? My best guess is that I can rinse it out and open that plug to help it dry out again.

Also, it does a great job getting the dust into a line so I can snort it (maybe not a bad idea with 80s records...), but seriously how am I supposed to get it off the record at this point? lol I guess I could brush it and then wet clean it. Maybe I'm supposed to wet the brush so the dust clings to it? I dunno.

Typically those velvet brushes are for wet cleaning, and you'd use a carbon fiber brush for dry brushing. The plug is because it's designed to squirt the fluid in through the top, though I'd recommend just dribbling some along one edge of the brush, which is how most of those are designed to work.

Here's a similar one that shows how it works:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have one of those carbon fiber brushes and I just run it over the surface a few revolutions before listening to a record and then sweep it off the side so maybe try that

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Barry posted:

I have one of those carbon fiber brushes and I just run it over the surface a few revolutions before listening to a record and then sweep it off the side so maybe try that

Do this. Those old Walnut handled things suck when you use it with the cleaning fluid all it really does is move the grime around. Carbon fiber brushes are very effective and an essential item for a record collector.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

Do this. Those old Walnut handled things suck when you use it with the cleaning fluid all it really does is move the grime around. Carbon fiber brushes are very effective and an essential item for a record collector.

Do you have a particular type you recommend? One came with my cleaning kid, but the bristles seem kinda...hard?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Do you have a particular type you recommend? One came with my cleaning kid, but the bristles seem kinda...hard?

This is the one I've been using for over a decade:

https://www.sleevecityusa.com/sleeve-city-carbon-fiber-record-brush-p/dc-05p.htm

That's the cheapest price I've seen for those too. There are eight million different brands of these but they're largely identical and I suspect it's all the same brush with a different name printed on it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VMBHI/

I have this one and I'm sure it's pumped out of the same Guangdong factory as the above post and all the others

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

wa27 posted:

Typically those velvet brushes are for wet cleaning, and you'd use a carbon fiber brush for dry brushing. The plug is because it's designed to squirt the fluid in through the top, though I'd recommend just dribbling some along one edge of the brush, which is how most of those are designed to work.

Here's a similar one that shows how it works:

Interesting, thanks.

Here's my latest thrift store score. Buried among the Sing Along With Mitch and Herb Alpert there's gold, at least in some areas of the country. I'd invite you all to a polka party at my house, but I already sold them. (Too bad they weren't mint)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

Interesting, thanks.

Here's my latest thrift store score. Buried among the Sing Along With Mitch and Herb Alpert there's gold, at least in some areas of the country. I'd invite you all to a polka party at my house, but I already sold them. (Too bad they weren't mint)

Man if polka albums are going to start raising in value, I'll be rich. I'm pretty sure they outnumber religious records at the thrift stores in central Nebraska.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

Man if polka albums are going to start raising in value, I'll be rich. I'm pretty sure they outnumber religious records at the thrift stores in central Nebraska.

My father was from Nebraska...I donated all of his polka records after he passed. Little did I know he had left me gold.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
There have been some absolutely stupid sales on Discogs for records I own recently. Death Grips' "The Powers That B" just went for $400, as did a box set of Luna albums.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

gently caress, I sold mine a while back for definitely not $400

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

There have been some absolutely stupid sales on Discogs for records I own recently. Death Grips' "The Powers That B" just went for $400, as did a box set of Luna albums.

Someone sell me their copy of The Money Store. :colbert:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Read After Burning posted:

Someone sell me their copy of The Money Store. :colbert:

There's no way TMS is going for $150 now. The gently caress? That's one album I remember getting for less than $20 new.

The 2nd-hand market is a disease.

pwn
May 27, 2004

So vinyl thread is suddenly cool with thrift store flipping? Neato

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gunna keep all my favorite obscure genres a secret from now on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Picked up a couple of new releases this week:

Tori Amos - Ocean to Ocean

Christine McVie - Christine Perfect (reissue on white vinyl)

I have the 1976 reissue called The Legendary Christine Perfect Album. Original copies from 1970 are a bitch to find cheap.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

What was wrong with thrift store flipping? It's not scalping.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Not me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdO-w3xnpw

Boinks posted:

It's still pretty scummy and why everything is so overpriced but everyone is loving broke now and poo poo's hosed so I can't really fault people for it if they need the money.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dorium posted:

Gunna keep all my favorite obscure genres a secret from now on.

Jokes on me, I talk about my love of vaporwave and bluegrass all the time. :(

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Boinks posted:

Draws the ire of collectors that were mad they missed out on the deal. Years ago I tried to flip video games, but I sucked pretty hard at it and it took so much time and effort that I gave up on it entirely pretty quickly. I kinda class it with the guys cruising neighborhoods for scrap metal on garbage night. Sure you might be scraping some profit, but is it worth all that time and effort you're putting into it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Draws the ire of collectors that were mad they missed out on the deal. Years ago I tried to flip video games, but I sucked pretty hard at it and it took so much time and effort that I gave up on it entirely pretty quickly. I kinda class it with the guys cruising neighborhoods for scrap metal on garbage night. Sure you might be scraping some profit, but is it worth all that time and effort you're putting into it?

I have a whole bunch of comic books that I bought when they came out which went from dollar bin crap you can't even give away to expensive items over night because people are morons. I've sold that poo poo a number of times because I really needed the money. So while flipping is lovely and it cuts out a lot of people who just want to enjoy whatever the thing is it's also the fault of people who collectively agree that paying prices into the triple digits for mass produced novelties is reasonable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I feel like thrifting records specifically to flip them would hardly be worth the effort. I've bought several hundred over the years but even if I sold them all, it wouldn't make up for the time I have spent (and would spend dealing with selling).

What did annoy me was when I was in college, my favorite thrift store was right next to a retro game and record store, and the employees would just walk over often to buy stuff just to add to their own inventory.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

I have a whole bunch of comic books that I bought when they came out which went from dollar bin crap you can't even give away to expensive items over night because people are morons. I've sold that poo poo a number of times because I really needed the money. So while flipping is lovely and it cuts out a lot of people who just want to enjoy whatever the thing is it's also the fault of people who collectively agree that paying prices into the triple digits for mass produced novelties is reasonable.

Ah yes, this hits close to home as I'm getting hosed by the prices of old out of print manga currently. Probably will just wind up getting it digitally, maybe, just because of lack of availability. (There's a vinyl/mp3 comparison in that, sigh). And I too am guilty of selling collectibles when they got over priced and would probably nab an extremely obvious flip in the thrift store if I ever saw one again. It'd have to be super mega ultra double or better profit to even bother with the time and effort personally.

wa27 posted:

I feel like thrifting records specifically to flip them would hardly be worth the effort. I've bought several hundred over the years but even if I sold them all, it wouldn't make up for the time I have spent (and would spend dealing with selling).

What did annoy me was when I was in college, my favorite thrift store was right next to a retro game and record store, and the employees would just walk over often to buy stuff just to add to their own inventory.

Lol wut? Usually it's the opposite, the nearby thrift store gets all the garbage the game shop wouldn't take. There once was a pawn shop type place next to a retro game store in my town, and the pawn shop had a lot of odd ball video games in it from people who were desperately looking for a better deal than what the games store offered.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

And I too am guilty of selling collectibles when they got over priced and would probably nab an extremely obvious flip in the thrift store if I ever saw one again.

That is absolutely not the same thing. You bought the collectibles to enjoy them, not to immediately resell.

As far as "extremely obvious flips" are concerned, I admit to being tempted, but if you don't need or want the thing, leave it for the next person who does. But even that isn't the same as just scooping up piles of polka records to resell. Whether it's a brick and mortar or an online seller doing it, it's ruining the hobby.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Loveage getting a sweet 4LP and book reissue: https://getondown.com/products/music-to-make-love-to-deluxe-4lp

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I feel like those polka records gotta be money laundering. Either that or i missed a new tiktok meme.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I buy records to listen to them

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

drat, too rich for my blood right now. i hope they do a standard black vinyl reissue at some point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the page mentions a RSD 2xLP version

probably going to get this anyway, it's been a vinyl white whale for me for years

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

I buy records to listen to them
out

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of Loveage and thrift stores, does anyone remember that poster who got chased out of the thread because they found a whole stack of sealed copies of it at a thrift store and offered to sell them to people here and then wanted something like a hundred bucks a pop?

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of Loveage and thrift stores, does anyone remember that poster who got chased out of the thread because they found a whole stack of sealed copies of it at a thrift store and offered to sell them to people here and then wanted something like a hundred bucks a pop?

Before my time so I had to go look it up, not nearly as funny as I was hoping. Looks like he just found a bunch of them in late 2012 and sold one in a SA-Mart auction, then a few months later put another up for sale? And it was quickly gassed? I'd have to read all the pages between, but here is his first post

Darthemed posted:

So I headed to my local movies/games/books/music chain store today, and unloaded some crap vinyl for about 30 cents a piece. Not too great, but at least I could get it off my hands. After I'd gone through that process, I went digging through their used vinyl bins, and found these, 99 cents each, and completely intact.

I don't know who the Hell dumped this stuff there, or how nobody working there recognized it, but I'm not complaining. The price stickers come off with hardly any residue, for a bonus.

You can easily go there and tap the "?" to see his posts, but here is a link to the SA-Mart thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521528

And as far as i can tell, only the second one, gassed

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536724

And his mea culpa

Darthemed posted:

The way I was seeing it, it was a pay-off for digging through stacks of Herb Alpert, Moog classical, country Christmas compilations, and other crap.
I auctioned them off because it seemed the easiest way to, every once in a while, turn an absolutely amazing find at a store charging $40 for a copy of Nevermind into a useful piece of my month's rent, without making anyone pay more than they felt the record was worth, or losing out on part of that potential rent.

It seems I misrepresented how many of the records I was planning to sell, since I said "I don't have enough to supply everyone who wants a copy". I didn't; at least four people in the thread said something like "Hey, would you like to sell that to me?", I got PMs to that effect, a friend I hadn't heard from in a couple of years contacted me on Facebook asking for a copy. My sister wanted a copy, and she doesn't even have a record player (so I got her the CD version instead).
I understand that piecing them out "once in a while" drives up the demand; to be honest, I was thinking of the Lovage records as golden eggs, something to cover my rear end in case I made some really stupid bids on ebay.

This made me come off as a flippin' scumbag. Sorry, everybody.

Someone else replied

Blendy posted:

Oh come on is this thread going to derail into wah-wah privileged record collecting baby tantrums every time someone sells a rare record? The world isn't fair and you don't deserve a record just cause you'll 'appreciate it more than someone else'. Dude lucked out and found several copies of Lovage for next to nothing. Can any of you honestly say you would have only bought one copy and left the rest for 'fellow collectors who deserve this'? Honestly? Literally in the thread earlier someone basically said it's not over paying if you think it's worth it. So if you don't think the price this will reach in auction is worth it than don't join in and don't whine. Markets dictate value it's just a fact. Stop slamming a guy for his luck.

I just bought a record from Darthemed and he gave me a good price. Dudes fine, seriously check your privilege and if you want to ignore him ignore him but there's zero reason to dogpile on him.

BTW his original post was this:

He never said he'd only ever sell one just that he decided to sell a copy.

Tell me you've never in your life made a profit off something you owned.

They're just records people. You can't take them with you.

Honestly, I don't know that I wouldn't do the same in that situation, but again, difference between that and "I regularly scour thrift stores to resell." Also, it seems like the OP did regularly scour the thrift stores to resell, so eehhh gently caress 'em? :shrug:

Finally it should be noted that the original Lovage finding is from December 2012, the shitshow was March 2013, and his last post was December 2021, so I think we can rule out that he was "chased out of the thread"

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bonus deleted scenes

CPL593H posted:

I have a record that had the original receipt inside from 1986. I thought that was kind of cool. It only cost five bucks back then.

CPL593H posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

How much did you buy it for?

Five bucks. The circle is complete.

edit: The reason I said "only" is because a lot of new records are stupid expensive now.

CPL593H: Bitching About Record Prices These Days since 2013 and Probably Earlier :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Both my favorite and least favorite thing about this thread is the endless impotent raging against capitalism by way of little discs of PVC