Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Send in the heavy bass units to coax the Ukrainians into full gopnikism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

Did Russia spend a ton of money on beefing up the military during this whole ordeal or just rearranged existing assets?

Russia is currently in phase 1.5 of strategic modernisation of its military. After they suffered some embarrassing failures during Russian invasion into Georgia, a 2011-2020 modernisation plan was developed. During that, they found themselves waging wars in Ukraine and Syria, and incorporated those learnings into a Frankenstein 2018-2027 plan, which is going to be replaced in 2023 or 2024 with plan based on the difficulties they’ve faced so far in their third campaign against Ukraine.

In other words, they’re continuously spending more than they normally would want to, and will likely ramp up spending in the future. Unless there’s a serious trade war coming up between Russia and EU.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 15, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia is currently in phase 1.5 of strategic modernisation of its military. After they suffered embarrassing failure during Russian invasion into Georgia, a 2011-2020 modernisation plan was developed. During that, they got waged wars in Ukraine and Syria, and incorporated those learnings into a Frankenstein 2018-2027 plan, which is going to be replaced in 2023 or 2024 with plan based on the difficulties theyve faced so far in their third campaign against Ukraine.

In other words, theyre continuously spending more than they normally would want to, and will likely ramp up spending in the future. Unless theres a serious trade war coming up between Russia and EU.

Thanks for this, I'm going to go look into these modernizations because I wasn't aware the Georgia invasion went badly from a military standpoint. I'll have to look more into that, I was under the impression it went well for RF

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Biden absolutely does not sound like this is over.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

"Look at all those people, going about their lives"

It is a bit odd for Reuters to put up a stream of this right now. Russia is being very deliberately vague on the timeline for invasion, including if it will happen at all, so streaming the capital of their victim seems like a bit of a waste of bandwidth right now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks for this, I'm going to go look into these modernizations because I wasn't aware the Georgia invasion went badly from a military standpoint. I'll have to look more into that, I was under the impression it went well for RF

Russia won decisively, but not without some comical failures, I believe. Some of the things that reportedly happened:

- Tactical communications link was so unreliable that field commanders were using personal mobile phones to coordinate engagements
- Reconnaissance drones footage was only accessible after the drones landed back in base
- There were numerous casualties from road accidents while simply moving towards the frontlines

Here’s an decent article in English https://warontherocks.com/2018/09/russian-performance-in-the-russo-georgian-war-revisited/

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo, Ukraine was just a diversion to distract from their invasion of America!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1v3bm8-mk

Putin has obviously been plagiarizing Yuri's masterplan all along.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Alchenar posted:

Biden absolutely does not sound like this is over.

Not a single Russian boot has taken a step back.

Orthanc6 posted:

It is a bit odd for Reuters to put up a stream of this right now. Russia is being very deliberately vague on the timeline for invasion, including if it will happen at all, so streaming the capital of their victim seems like a bit of a waste of bandwidth right now.

White House said tomorrow so its tomorrow, duh.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What am I looking at here? Wait a second, is this- drat it! Rick Rolled again!

Orthanc6 posted:

Russia is not being vague. They emphatically state time after time that they are not going to invade. It's fine not to trust them, I suppose, but as far as their public statements go, their position is very clear.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 15, 2022

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Russia is not being vague. They emphatically state time after time that they are not going to invade. It's fine not to trust them, I suppose, but as far as their public statements go, their position is very clear.

Ok fair on their public statements. I'm used to ignoring the words from various right-wing governments, Russian, US-Republican and otherwise, and judging by their actions instead, but yes you are correct that they have said publicly they will not invade. So the vagueness is from the contradiction of their current and past actions compared to their rhetoric.

So I guess showing the Maidan Square is just Reuters' way of showing solidarity tonight?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Rickrolling isn't culturally appropriate for the thread. Maybe this instead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1x7M6gLNXs

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I've been flippant but tomorrow's not bad. Full moon, cold, clear, no chance of serious precipitation until the 18th, only light precipitation after that, frozen ground on the relevant regions of Ukraine.

Maybe tomorrow Vlad will OK recognizing Donetsk and Luhanks as genuine independent states and that'll make Ukraine jump, and there's the legal/political justification you need since you've got these independent nations as recognized by Russia, with a majority Russian citizens and on Russia's border, under attack from a hostile foreign power attempting to absorb them.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/gerrydogma/status/1493708258242138113

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
PSA: Please refer to the nation as "Ukraine" and not "the Ukraine." We've gotten several reports over the last few days that "the Ukraine" is a somewhat annoying dogwhistle and of course the official name of the nation is "Ukraine."

We're not going to probe on sight, this is mostly a reminder. Someone might catch a probe if it seems like they're doing it intentionally to be inflammatory.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Are we allowed to do it ironically?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Not even being subtle any more.
https://twitter.com/tom_nuttall/status/1493594812548800515?t=O9VYwFQONmOi2TOWxXatSw&s=19

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz the Horse posted:

PSA: Please refer to the nation as "Ukraine" and not "the Ukraine." We've gotten several reports over the last few days that "the Ukraine" is a somewhat annoying dogwhistle and of course the official name of the nation is "Ukraine."

We're not going to probe on sight, this is mostly a reminder. Someone might catch a probe if it seems like they're doing it intentionally to be inflammatory.

Can we still pronounce Kiev like the chicken?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Can we call Germany the "German State", seeing how it's basically a foreign puppet?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

BREAKING NEWS: Someone got close enough for the Reuters stream to pick up and started playing the Soviet Anthem. Now they're playing Komm Susser Tod.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can we still pronounce Kiev like the chicken?

If you make it and post it in this thread, I'll allow it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Conspiratiorist posted:

imo it's the intent that matters, if posters are using it deliberately to piss others off, that won't fly. Obviously intent is not always easy to infer from posts so use at your own risk, you might catch a dreaded 6er if it seems like you're dropping "the Ukraine" to be a jerk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fritz the Horse posted:

imo it's the intent that matters, if posters are using it deliberately to piss others off, that won't fly. Obviously intent is not always easy to infer from posts so use at your own risk, you might catch a dreaded 6er if it seems like you're dropping "the Ukraine" to be a jerk.

Why only a sixer for someone using an inflammatory dogwhistle in a thread in the midst of an active invasion against the targets of that dogwhistle?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

Why only a sixer for someone using an inflammatory dogwhistle in a thread in the midst of an active invasion against the targets of that dogwhistle?

This is incorrect there is no current active invasion

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

tell that to crimea/east ukraine

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Discendo Vox posted:

The SA admins have not yet supplied this thread with lethal aid and therefore the mods are limited to using 6ers to defend against bad posting.

edit: however, if the situation escalates and misleading tweets are deployed, we may request additional firepower.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 16, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

There has been an active invasion for eight years.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Some minor (?) power outages happening in Kharkiv.

https://youtu.be/H7ZbVufqW3s

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

Brave of you to recognize Russia's sovereignty over Crimea itt

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Is there any possible strategic reason for this, or is this literally just Russia being incredibly childish and petty.

I mean everyone knows Russian hackers can do this, so it's not like it's much of a threat/warning or anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I think that stretches the definition of "active invasion" beyond recognition. It was an active invasion eight years ago. Now it's a dead issue; Crimea is part of Russia, rightly or wrongly. There is currently no active invasion of Ukraine by Russia. There may be one in the near future, but I strongly doubt it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Is there any possible strategic reason for this, or is this literally just Russia being incredibly childish and petty.

I mean everyone knows Russian hackers can do this, so it's not like it's much of a threat/warning or anything.

Hurts attempts to mobilize against an invasion

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
From Webster website Invasion -- an act of invading especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder. Crimea is part of Russia now full stop that is not an invasion it has been conquered, granted Donbas is a little more vague but the point still stands. We didn't call it the invasion of Afghanistan in 2019 it was the war. It is the war in Donbas and the theoretical invasion of Ukraine at large.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

I think that stretches the definition of "active invasion" beyond recognition. It was an active invasion and illegal occupation eight years ago. Now it's a dead issue; Crimea is part of Russia, rightly or wrongly. There is currently no active invasion of Ukraine by Russia. There may be one in the near future, but I strongly doubt it.

I guess raining artillery shells is a natural occurrence in Eastern Ukraine then.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

I think that stretches the definition of "active invasion" beyond recognition. It was an active invasion and illegal occupation eight years ago. Now it's a dead issue; Crimea is part of Russia, rightly or wrongly. There is currently no active invasion of Ukraine by Russia. There may be one in the near future, but I strongly doubt it.

Donbas my dude.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
An ongoing occupation counts as an invasion, Crimea's annexation was illegitimate through force of arms and should be considered as such

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I guess raining artillery shells is a natural occurrence in Eastern Ukraine then.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Donbas my dude.

Donbas is an insurrection. Ukraine's in a state of civil war, and has been for a while now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Right.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

Donbas is an insurrection. Ukraine's in a state of civil war, and has been for a while now.

Just a natural insurrection. Nothing to see here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Majorian posted:

You should change your avatar from Zhukov to Molotov.
And buy a bridge I am selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

Ah yes like how the little green men in Crimea also totally weren't Russian regulars out of uniform right