Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad they're making the correct decision to not skip Phantom Blood.

I stop hanging out with people who say to just start with Battle Tendency. Imagine skipping the only Dio heavy part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phantom Blood isn't even that long so skipping it just seems kind of dumb.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

muscles like this! posted:

Phantom Blood isn't even that long so skipping it just seems kind of dumb.

Also, even if it's not indicative of the places the show goes in later parts, skipping over Phantom Blood kind of ruins the experience of watching the show rapidly lose its goddamned mind and then keep getting crazier...

You can't just jump in to a dog and bird fighting each other with psychic punch-ghosts, you have to watch the show go from Victorian melodrama, to vampire hunting, to magic kung-fu vampire hunting and beyond!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Imagine purposely not watching Speedwagon during his hat throwing days, like what the gently caress are you doing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Smh at somebody missing out on the Sword of Luck and Pluck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all the talk about skipping JoJo parts is weird because like, what benefit are you gaining. its one thing if youre watching something and you find it kinda dull so you wanna skip to the more interesting parts but the way people preemptively say to skip parts is like. are you just obsessed with Consuming Content

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The people recommending it are the ones who found it boring because they just wanted the bonkers anime, not the the context that makes it bonkers.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Okay but today i just learned thaT nickocado avacado is Ukrainian

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Parts 1 and 2 are good.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Endorph posted:

all the talk about skipping JoJo parts is weird because like, what benefit are you gaining. its one thing if youre watching something and you find it kinda dull so you wanna skip to the more interesting parts but the way people preemptively say to skip parts is like. are you just obsessed with Consuming Content

I've done this before, though, where I rec something to someone and say "just go to this part," because I want them to see why something is special.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Folding Ideas' The Problem with NFTs is big enough that Dan Olsen went on [EDIT: some other youtube channels, not radio shows] and was interviewed by VICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8St36RjHd2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLVOoE044ZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMCs4fuW7Ww

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 16, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The United States posted:

Folding Ideas' The Problem with NFTs is big enough that Dan Olsen went on a radio show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8St36RjHd2E

I do wonder if the superbowl crypto ad blitz was at least partially fueled by the industry needing to respond to Olsen's video. The video blew up in a huge way and seemed to really strike a chord with a lot of people, even those who were otherwise at best ambivalent to crypto and NFT's beforehand. Coinbase also tried to do a big response but that seems to have fallen completely flat outside of their existing userbase.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rebochan posted:

I didn't see this posted earlier, but Lindsay Ellis was interviewed for a segment on the New Yorker podcast. She's... not doing well.

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/on-cancel-culture-and-the-state-of-free-speech

I want to know who the hell it was that turned on her so I can stop giving them money and/or views, but I also recognize that all that would happen is anyone named would just get harassed relentlessly and Twitter would continue on as usual never learning a single lesson.

Lindsay's in the first segment, I didn't honestly listen to the rest because the interviewer kinda... sucks. I just wanted to hear Lindsay and hoped she was doing better. She's not.

This was really upsetting to listen to.

The interviewer seems to have completely missed the part where getting ripped apart by the internet is painful because colleagues and friends don’t talk to you any more, that it’s ostracism in the real sense of the word, not because people on twitter are mean, but I don’t think I would have wanted to hear any more about that given how rough that part of the interview is.

I hope she finds peace that we don’t hear about, because that will mean her peace is away from the internet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sydin posted:

I do wonder if the superbowl crypto ad blitz was at least partially fueled by the industry needing to respond to Olsen's video. The video blew up in a huge way and seemed to really strike a chord with a lot of people, even those who were otherwise at best ambivalent to crypto and NFT's beforehand. Coinbase also tried to do a big response but that seems to have fallen completely flat outside of their existing userbase.
Any big superbowl ad would have been in the works for far longer than Dan Olsen's LINE GOES UP video has been out

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

This was really upsetting to listen to.

The interviewer seems to have completely missed the part where getting ripped apart by the internet is painful because colleagues and friends don’t talk to you any more, that it’s ostracism in the real sense of the word, not because people on twitter are mean, but I don’t think I would have wanted to hear any more about that given how rough that part of the interview is.

I hope she finds peace that we don’t hear about, because that will mean her peace is away from the internet.

Yeah. Considering it was a podcast about FREE SPEECH, I'm not surprised. Media tends to have a really hard time understanding the basics of internet interactions, they seem to be a deeply mysterious new thing rather than old social pressures just with no barrier of time and space.

Ellis is in a very bad spot, and I really hope that she's able to get out of it. But I think you're right that we'll never hear about it if she gets there.

I found a guy I wanna tell people about. His name's Grimbeard. He makes music, reviews old games, and talks about Supernatural.

He isn't terrible. Yeah, I know, I was shocked too!

His videos are all really high effort for how few views they get. I thought, when I found him, that I stumbled into one of those big youtube guys that everyone else but me knows. But nope, his stuff is produced like that but gets 50k on a hit. It feels really great to discover someone like this, someone putting their whole heart into making things they like to make even though they're not a big hit. It's clear he does whatever he wants, too. He loves spooky games, but that's led to him talking about Darkseed and Harvester as one of the few who actually get them and don't either fawn over how scary they are(cause they're not) or pretend to be totally confused by how silly they are. He also just talked about Headhunter, a game that came out back when videogames didn't know how to let you aim at guys, for an hour.

Oh right, and his music. He makes gothic industrial music. Still. If that doesn't tell you that he's divorced himself from all trends, I don't know what to say. His channel's a blast, in a sort of almost nostalgic way where it's just some guy talking about the things he likes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grimbeard is really good, and he's got possibly the least intrusive skits.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I enjoyed Grimbeard's Deus Ex video that I think was probably shared in this thread when it came out, I need to check out more of his work for sure.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my favorite Grimbeard videos are Darkened Streams, where he reviews every episode of Supernatural in order because it just lets him talk about how much he loves the best paranormal adventure serial television series of all time, The X-Files

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Macaluso posted:

Rogersbase had a little dust up, and when I say little I mean extremely small, about his thumbnails. He actually responded to me:

https://twitter.com/rogersbase/status/1493619226510180353?s=21
https://twitter.com/macaluso/status/1493634169255206912?s=21

Rogersbase seems like a very nice guy and I appreciate his response. What I don't understand is just how ANGRY some of the people in the replies are at the audacity for artists to to be respected and credited. It makes me sad how much a lot of people still don't care about crediting artists just because their stuff can show up on Google images

Edit: I got a DM that said "god didn't give u permission to poo poo but you still do dont post art if u dnt want people to enjoy your art go make an nft". Just so strange

Once you've had images used uncredited over and over with "I totally failed to find the source, sorry lol" when a simple reverse GIS or even just the name of the thing in the picture would get a result on page 1, you start to get a little sensitive to that sort of thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

stillvisions posted:

Once you've had images used uncredited over and over with "I totally failed to find the source, sorry lol" when a simple reverse GIS or even just the name of the thing in the picture would get a result on page 1, you start to get a little sensitive to that sort of thing.

Oh I agree. I had a drawing of Mario parodying Frozen years ago and George Takai posted it on his Facebook to millions of views and likes, completely uncredited. I tried to get him to at least credit me, but he never saw my comment and there was no real way to contact him. There were several people that stood up to defend his right to steal my work though. I'm still pretty sour on him after that.

I had to mute the above thread at this point. Just so many people that think it's okay to use someone's art without permission because it's available online or all the idiots who think artists are hypocrites for wanting credit/permission on fanart when they didn't get permission to draw the fanart in the first place. The replies in that tweet are just so exhausting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thankfully the Blockchain is here to save the day

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
catching up on this thread as a method of procrastination, and

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Extremely weird watching Boy in The Striped Pyjamas in high school RS and the takeaway being "what a tragedy that kid died too, how ironic!"

From the school that showed us an episode of the Simpsons to teach us about arranged marriages!

please tell me it was a A Fish Called Selma :allears:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Macaluso posted:

Edit: I got a DM that said "god didn't give u permission to poo poo but you still do dont post art if u dnt want people to enjoy your art go make an nft". Just so strange

this person definitely wrote it while thinking about how loving cool they sound

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zetsubou-san posted:

catching up on this thread as a method of procrastination, and

please tell me it was a A Fish Called Selma :allears:

I'm guessing it was "The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons". Because that one is literally about Apu's arranged marriage. Using "A Fish Called Selma" for anything classroom related would be wild though, not gonna lie.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Alaois posted:

my favorite Grimbeard videos are Darkened Streams, where he reviews every episode of Supernatural in order because it just lets him talk about how much he loves the best paranormal adventure serial television series of all time, The X-Files

Yeah, even if you don't care at all about Supernatural, especially since it went on for 15 seasons and lost itself in nonsense, they're great videos. You will have a good time watching them.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I have absolutely no experience with Supernatural, so I've been watching his reviews of the early seasons just seeing it as a decent cable-tv fantasy action show, but every so often there's a clip from a later season that has me wondering how show got so totally off the rails, even worse than The X-Files did. Of course I realize that when a show has fifteen seasons, by the end you'll be nostalgically pining for the days when you still had fumes to run on, but the actual process of getting from A to B is still a mystery to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

I have absolutely no experience with Supernatural, so I've been watching his reviews of the early seasons just seeing it as a decent cable-tv fantasy action show, but every so often there's a clip from a later season that has me wondering how show got so totally off the rails, even worse than The X-Files did. Of course I realize that when a show has fifteen seasons, by the end you'll be nostalgically pining for the days when you still had fumes to run on, but the actual process of getting from A to B is still a mystery to me.

The original plan was to do five seasons and then call it a day. But the show was just so popular and, until the Arrowverse shows started up, it was effectively the only CW show that anyone was really watching, so killing it meant basically killing the network along with it. From there, inertia takes over and it basically becomes unkillable because it's still like the most-watched show on the CW by a factor of roughly every other CW show combined, and it effectively took COVID to finally bring it to an end.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The original plan was to do five seasons and then call it a day. But the show was just so popular and, until the Arrowverse shows started up, it was effectively the only CW show that anyone was really watching, so killing it meant basically killing the network along with it. From there, inertia takes over and it basically becomes unkillable because it's still like the most-watched show on the CW by a factor of roughly every other CW show combined, and it effectively took COVID to finally bring it to an end.
In that respect it doesn't sound that different from what happened with The X-Files. The original plan was to wrap up after the fifth season and transition to movies, but since the show was one of the Fox Network's few reliable hits they gave Chris Carter a garbage truck full of money to come back. They soldiered on for a few years more until even Duchovny started getting antsy, so they were going to wrap up with the seventh season. Unfortunately the seventh season broadcasted during the single worst year in the Fox Network's history, the 1999-2000 season, where almost every single new series was cancelled before completing their first season, with the only survivor being Malcolm in the Middle. With that disaster unfolding Fox gave Carter everything they could to keep the show on the air, which is why we got those awkward two last seasons. (Among the casualties of the 1999-2000 bloodbath was Carter's own replacement for The X-Files, Harsh Realm, which was canned after only three episodes. The show's been completely forgotten today, not even achieving the cult status of Millennium, but it's interesting as a sort of premonition of the 2000s in the aftermath of 9/11.)

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The United States posted:

Any big superbowl ad would have been in the works for far longer than Dan Olsen's LINE GOES UP video has been out

Super bowl ads also just seem like the kind of expensive vanity that would appeal to crypto bros. Like celebrity endorsements!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grondoth posted:

Oh right, and his music. He makes gothic industrial music. Still. If that doesn't tell you that he's divorced himself from all trends, I don't know what to say.
Wow, this is retro as gently caress and really good. Excellent shout.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Marshal Radisic posted:

In that respect it doesn't sound that different from what happened with The X-Files. The original plan was to wrap up after the fifth season and transition to movies, but since the show was one of the Fox Network's few reliable hits they gave Chris Carter a garbage truck full of money to come back. They soldiered on for a few years more until even Duchovny started getting antsy, so they were going to wrap up with the seventh season. Unfortunately the seventh season broadcasted during the single worst year in the Fox Network's history, the 1999-2000 season, where almost every single new series was cancelled before completing their first season, with the only survivor being Malcolm in the Middle. With that disaster unfolding Fox gave Carter everything they could to keep the show on the air, which is why we got those awkward two last seasons. (Among the casualties of the 1999-2000 bloodbath was Carter's own replacement for The X-Files, Harsh Realm, which was canned after only three episodes. The show's been completely forgotten today, not even achieving the cult status of Millennium, but it's interesting as a sort of premonition of the 2000s in the aftermath of 9/11.)

Don’t forget The Lone Gunmen, which was of course a premonition of 9/11.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I really like Grimbeard, he's just unashamedly doing his thing and I guess if you want to watch those things that's cool but he's going to do them anyway. I laughed a lot at the gag where he tearfully asks the viewer to look at a picture of the guy from Fields of the Nephilim while cocking a shotgun and preparing to euthanise them . His delivery is just great fun.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Strange Aeons completes her Tumblr Fake Stories trilogy, and there are some real doozies in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WNJyl6_AUM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

One does wonder if as the show slouched onward the writers started to regret killing off beings like, say, the Devil because it's hard to go up from there. I think they even pulled a Little Mermaid 2 and introduced something like the Devil's crazy sister.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

One does wonder if as the show slouched onward the writers started to regret killing off beings like, say, the Devil because it's hard to go up from there. I think they even pulled a Little Mermaid 2 and introduced something like the Devil's crazy sister.

I only watched <redacted> seasons but AFAIK satan was still alive, just trapped "forever" with their forgotten lil brother so that would have eventually come back up

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Izzyzzz has a new video about...An anti-SJW Sonic the Hedgehog Tumblr ask blog?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Any Sonic fanbase is always good for drama.

On a sidenote..
If you felt like like Vimeo was doing it best to be the worst video hosting platform, here is Youtube renewing a hundred copyright claims on Todds videos for no given reason
(Other than the copyright claimers being petty greedy assholes).

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1493775260147019777

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 16, 2022

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I somehow remember this when it all went down and I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It was God’s crazy sister, but that wasn’t even the final season. The actual final season had them go up against God himself, who was depicted as a weirdo writer who had been scripting everything up until that point like it was a tv show, and who now wanted to cancel the show (aka destroy the universe) because his characters wouldn’t do what he wanted them to anymore.