Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

HonorableTB posted:

An ongoing occupation counts as an invasion, Crimea's annexation was illegitimate through force of arms and should be considered as such

No it doesn't invasion refers to a very specific in the timeframe of a war. Occupation -- a : the act or process of taking possession of a place or area -- b : the holding and control of an area by a foreign military force -- c : the military force occupying a country or the policies carried out by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

No it doesn't invasion refers to a very specific in the timeframe of a war. Occupation -- a : the act or process of taking possession of a place or area -- b : the holding and control of an area by a foreign military force -- c : the military force occupying a country or the policies carried out by it.

And the occupying military force would be called.....invaders!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah this is dumb I think any charitable reading of someone saying 'active invasion' right now is clearly referring to tanks rolling over the border.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

Really? Cause people were calling Afghanistan an invasion in 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BoldFace posted:

Some minor (?) power outages happening in Kharkiv.

https://youtu.be/H7ZbVufqW3s

https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1493728930406092800

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

Yeah this is dumb I think any charitable reading of someone saying 'active invasion' right now is clearly referring to tanks rolling over the border.

Which hasn't happened yet and is not guaranteed to happen

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

no they werent. it was a textbook occupation.

its similar to why these are two separate articles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invasion_of_Iraq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_Iraq_(2003%E2%80%932011)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Successful invasions arent invasions elohel

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Ah yes like how the little green men in Crimea also totally weren't Russian regulars out of uniform right

Of course they were. I never claimed they weren't. I'm not seeing any evidence that that's what's happening right now with Donbas and Lukhansk, though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Conspiratiorist posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Someone got close enough for the Reuters stream to pick up and started playing the Soviet Anthem. Now they're playing Komm Susser Tod.

I think it's whoever's manning the PC Reuters is streaming from, I hear them moving in their chair and putting down a coffee cup sometimes

edit: they just said "gently caress jannies" with an american accent, did Reuters contract a 4chan guy for this :pwn:

looks like it's streaming from one of the upper floors of Hotel Ukraine

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 16, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Majorian posted:

Of course they were. I never claimed they weren't. I'm not seeing any evidence that that's what's happening right now with Donbas and Lukhansk, though.

The State Duma passed legal authorization for the Russian military to operate in Eastern Ukraine in 2014 and it was never revoked, so you've got flagged military there and that's no secret.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Despera posted:

Who is people

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Take it up with Scholz and Macron. They are the ones who didn't want to submit samples to the Russian state out of fear that they are gonna be sequenced. Or the US president, who famously even gets their turds collected from a portable toilet by a secret service agent out of the same fear.

Especially Scholz probably still remembers a time when the GDR used to to do creepy poo poo like keep extensive archives of body odor samples of people. The Stasi and KGB did some pretty wild stuff back in the day.

You do realize this is something you made up, right? Both didn't subject themselves to Russian Covid testing, but the "genome sequencing" part you invented.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 16, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

The State Duma passed legal authorization for the Russian military to operate in Eastern Ukraine in 2014 and it was never revoked, so you've got flagged military there and that's no secret.

Calling that an "active invasion" is a stretch. By that definition, the U.S. has been invading Cuba for 63 years straight.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Majorian posted:

Calling that an "active invasion" is a stretch. By that definition, the U.S. has been invading Cuba for 63 years straight.

US hasn't murdered any Cubans in Cuba lately to my awareness. Russia has been doing that in Ukraine pretty much non-stop.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

They have.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
If the US annexed some of Cuba let me know cause I'd love to visit

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

King.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

US hasn't murdered any Cubans in Cuba lately to my awareness. Russia has been doing that in Ukraine pretty much non-stop.

I don't think "killing people in other countries" is a workable definition for the phrase "active invasion." Are drone strikes invasions, too? What about espionage, if it leads to deaths?

Okay, so you're just using a different definition from most people. That's fine - I'm not making a value judgment there, and I applaud you for your consistency, but all the same, I don't think most people would agree. Gitmo is an active occupation, imo.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Despera posted:

If the US annexed some of Cuba let me know cause I'd love to visit

Gitmo.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

that was bought

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Despera posted:

that was bought

Cuba has wanted it back since the revolution, and no, we didn't "buy" it. It was a concession for our involvement in the Spanish-American War, as part of the Platt Amendment. That amendment was repealed in 1934, so our occupation of Guantanamo is actually illegal.

\/\/\/okay, so has the U.S. been conducting an active invasion of indigenous American land for the past 246 years? I think there's a stronger case to be made that it's an active occupation than an invasion.\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 16, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

It wasn't Batista's to sell. Cuba has wanted it back since the revolution.

And Alaska wasnt the Tsars or Loiusiana, Napolean's

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Despera posted:

that was bought

Leased, and famously Cuba doesn't cash the checks.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

karthun posted:

Leased, and famously Cuba doesn't cash the checks.

Does the lease have an expiration date?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cuba could be the 11th Canadian province. Think of the potential.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Cuba could be the 11th Canadian province. Think of the potential.

The Confederates did.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It's also 45 square miles in a country with 42,426

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Does the lease have an expiration date?

The US considers their yearly payment to the Republic of Cuba (an entity which no longer exists) satisfies the lease in perpetuity, something the Cuban government has disagreed with since 1959.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

I don't think "killing people in other countries" is a workable definition for the phrase "active invasion." Are drone strikes invasions, too? What about espionage, if it leads to deaths?

Okay, so you're just using a different definition from most people. That's fine - I'm not making a value judgment there, and I applaud you for your consistency, but all the same, I don't think most people would agree. Gitmo is an active occupation, imo.

More formally I'd say the situation with the LNR/DPR is a slow-bleeding active conflict, since flagged Russian forces adhere to the Minsk ceasefire but Ukraine and the People's Militias violate it all the time, and whenever the latter receive a "sudden surge in volunteers" there's good reason to believe it's out-of-uniform Russian regulars.

With how static the lines are you're free to call it an occupation, but calling it just an insurrection is a bit disingenuous since Russia had to come in and save the separatists after their hybrid warfare strategy with them failed.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1493729979766562817?s=20&t=Khog1litKGIX_kqAWfdZ8Q

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

It's also 45 square miles in a country with 42,426

It was the country's most important Atlantic facing harbor. you can't pretend it doesn't matter

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

More formally I'd say the situation with the LNR/DPR is a slow-bleeding active conflict, since flagged Russian forces adhere to the Minsk ceasefire but Ukraine and the People's Militias violate it all the time, and whenever the latter receive a "sudden surge in volunteers" there's good reason to believe it's out-of-uniform Russian regulars.

All right, but the point is, that's not usually what people are envisioning when they talk about Russia actively invading Ukraine. It's certainly not the picture that the Atlantic Council has been painting:

https://twitter.com/AtlanticCouncil/status/1484895629000298499

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Who cares what some twitter nobody with 28 likes thinks about the conflict?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

It was the country's most important Atlantic facing harbor. you can't pretend it doesn't matter

Article 6

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yeah so unless something doesn't happen this week, today's troop backpedal is a feint towards the western media before a swift invasion commences.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Who cares what some twitter nobody with 28 likes thinks about the conflict?

I mean, it would be nice if the answer was "nobody," but...

In the meantime, Melinda Haring, she of the infamous "Putin will inevitably attack this weekend, no wait, tomorrow, no wait, the 16th..." tweets, is moving the goalposts at record speed and with a record level of shamelessness:

https://twitter.com/melindaharing/status/1493565970375401472

quote:

Forget mud and tanks. It’s time to talk about propaganda, panic, and pressure. Western governments should carefully calculate the second-order effects of information they publicly release with an eye to preventing panic. They should also take what measures they can to protect the Ukrainian economy. Finally, they should work with social media companies to tamp down the storms of misinformation and disinformation that are so easily kicked up in a crisis.

Again, this is the Deputy Director for Eurasia at the Atlantic Council who for the last two weeks has been insisting that Russian tanks and planes would be reducing Kyiv to rubble any day now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Atlantic Council is a fairly influential NGO..I wouldn't call them a no-name Twitter random

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah, i was just taking the opportunity to make a joke at their expense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/benjaminhaddad/status/1493557990707847171?s=20&t=bZ0aLrWIkVe8gpdmmQENDA

I am going to say the game of "calling out the magician before he can do his tricks" worked.