Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

That speaks to me. I recently made the very hard (for me) decision to stay in this god awful city for a bit longer instead of buying a cabin out on some hill.

The cost of the commute, fuel and wear and tear, would about equal my current rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Blackhawk posted:

I remember a time when there was a lot of publicity about not using your phone while driving, and a lot of talk about police enforcement of that. But somewhere in the last decade that's gone completely silent and it's clear that nobody gives a poo poo about it anymore, everyone's doing it and nobody's going to do anything about it. Today at one set of traffic lights two changes in a row the car at the front of the queue missed the lights change by at least 5 seconds, almost certainly because they were playing with their phone and not paying attention. It's insane how many people I see weaving all over the road or randomly slowing down/speeding up because they're trying to reply to a message or something, absolute psycopaths.

over here they doubled the penalties, so it's six points on your licence (12=ban) and a fine if you're even touching the phone while driving. instant loss of licence if you got it in the last two years. result? people still constantly loving with their phones while driving.

they could probably make the penalty a roadside summary execution and you'd still see people weaving in their lane while looking at their lap.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Horace posted:

they could probably make the penalty a roadside summary execution and you'd still see people weaving in their lane while looking at their lap.

We set up nationwide transit infrastructure that requires each citizen to operate their own vehicles at high speeds, then gave each of them a pocket-sized skinner box that constantly calls for their attention and rewards them with dopamine hits for looking. Let's watch what happens next!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Georgia outlawed cellphones while driving (unless you have a hands-free setup), but now they're trying to re-legalize phones when you're stopped at a red light.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Georgia outlawed cellphones while driving (unless you have a hands-free setup), but now they're trying to re-legalize phones when you're stopped at a red light.

so brave, bless u car brains

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Coming home on the interstate, there’s a big crash being cleaned up on the other direction of traffic. Prolly 3-4 cars. We’re moving smoothly until I see some dumbass slam his brakes to rubberneck! Almost caused another 4 crashes!

I loving hate cars!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Car brain is so powerful and so prevalent that I wonder if there is actually more to it than just the societal/psychological components.

"New car smell" is VOCs from offgassing of car components. When I had a 20 year old used car, it still kept accumulating a white residue on the inside of the windshield over time, and when I looked that up, was apparently caused by offgassing and "normal". There's a lot of plastics, a lot of resins, a lot of adhesives, paint, gasoline and diesel fumes themselves, refrigerant agents, CO2 and other poo poo. You know car companies skim every cent and don't think twice about using toxic poo poo.

I really would be surprised all of Western society hotboxing all that for 2+ hours every day of their lives didn't have some kind of neurologically degenerative effects.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Car brain is so powerful and so prevalent that I wonder if there is actually more to it than just the societal/psychological components.

"New car smell" is VOCs from offgassing of car components. When I had a 20 year old used car, it still kept accumulating a white residue on the inside of the windshield over time, and when I looked that up, was apparently caused by offgassing and "normal". There's a lot of plastics, a lot of resins, a lot of adhesives, paint, gasoline and diesel fumes themselves, refrigerant agents, CO2 and other poo poo. You know car companies skim every cent and don't think twice about using toxic poo poo.

I really would be surprised all of Western society hotboxing all that for 2+ hours every day of their lives didn't have some kind of neurologically degenerative effects.

Wouldn't be the first time given what we now know about leaded gasoline.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

I think the most consistently angry I've ever been in my life was a summer internship where I had to car commute (every job since I've been able to bike, transit or WFH).

Rarely the drive too work, but driving home in a hot car that had spent the last 8 hours baking in the sun mad me madder than hell.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cars are alive and parasitic and they prey on their users who in turn buy more and demand an increasingly car centric infrastructure which itself feeds back into car addiction

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cars are alive and parasitic and they prey on their users who in turn buy more and demand an increasingly car centric infrastructure which itself feeds back into car addiction
:hai:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What if people just like driving their cars

I mean what if people enjoy driving a car just like riding a bicycle, but different

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I mean what if people enjoy driving a car just like riding a bicycle, but different

that's what re-education is for

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What if someone just enjoys machine gunning orphans?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Private tracks are a thing!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Private tracks are a thing!

Not available to the vast majority of humans

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Same goes for cars. If people don't have a track near them to indulge their expensive and polluting hobby, oh well :shrug:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

How? Drive there

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:wrong:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

you can't always get what you want

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

what about go-karts

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Also bumper cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In the post-transit future, we'll all live and work at the same place. There will be no service jobs, except for delivery drivers. No one will ever see each other face to face.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

In the post-transit future, we'll all live and work at the same place. There will be no service jobs, except for delivery drivers. No one will ever see each other face to face.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Careful, you're going to trigger the snowflakes

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

THIS MODEL DOES ESPECIALLY WELL IN TRAFFIC JAMS

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Sure, let em drive their cars then.

The first step to getting rid of cars is not taking them away, but giving people a choice. Once there are sufficient viable alternatives a large number of people will abandon the car lifestyle. I went through the first 15 years of my adult life as a car enthusiast and was flipping volvos as a side hustle. As soon as I moved to a city with viable alternatives the cars were gone in months.

Part of providing viable alternatives is to ensure infrastructure and right of way is shared by all modes of transportation. This necessarily requires the reduction and scaling down of car infrastructure. As cars loose their preferential status their externalized costs begin to come due. Costs for parking, road maintenance and roadside emergency services become part of the price of registering a car. The utility is reconsidered.

But first, we need a choice. Viable alternatives.

I grew up in a town where even the lowest wage earners owned a car. There was no other way to work. You interview at McDonalds and they ask you if you have a car. In a family where food is scarce the car always eats first. Even if you could get to work without a car you certainly couldn't get to your friends house across town. Making cars significantly more expensive would be incredibly painful for folks who live in these areas. In fact cars are becoming more expensive now and that is taking people put of the workforce.

So, first we need viable alternatives.

There's no point in taking away cars if we are not going to build communities in a way that you can get places by walking, biking, bussing, training, streetcaring, or whatever.

And then we can decide on what to do about people who just like to drive depending on weather they are still a nuisance or not.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

people who say 'they like to go for a drive to relax' and clear their brains are loving certified psychos

there is absolutely zero enjoyment from driving other than knowing at any second you can run over and murder some children and get away with it, or knowing you can end your life with a flip of an arm

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Xaris posted:

people who say 'they like to go for a drive to relax' and clear their brains are loving certified psychos

there is absolutely zero enjoyment from driving other than knowing at any second you can run over and murder some children and get away with it, or knowing you can end your life with a flip of an arm

Cars are designed to isolate people. It should be no surprise that they can serve as a way to clear one's head.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xaris posted:

Naw, there's a lot of fun in driving out in the country and exploring, or just getting some time alone. Driving in traffic is a chore though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
makes perfect sense that someone wants to drive to clear their head because walking to clear your head is a non-starter in car world. Golly im having such a hard time relaxing while I play a mortal game of frogger every 200 feet

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CSPAM: "There is nothing remotely enjoyable about driving"

Also CSPAM: Ten trillion posts about a game where you drive trucks around Siberia

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Cat Puke posted:

Wouldn't be the first time given what we now know about leaded gasoline.

The story of the guy who invented that stuff is a hoot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

PeterCat posted:

Naw, there's a lot of fun in driving out in the country and exploring, or just getting some time alone.

it's almost entirely the "time alone." practically nobody is "exploring" in their car, that's truck commercial fantasy

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

oh for sure, except that people - statistically speaking - don't actually like doing the kind of driving that people actually have to do in real life. sitting in traffic makes people miserable. they hate it. it's connected to higher blood pressure and weight gain and anxiety, and the actual experience of driving sucks so much loving rear end that we have the term 'road rage' for when it tips someone over the edge into homicidal rage, which happens all the time. people on trains or on foot or on bikes don't do this poo poo to strangers at anywhere near the same rate, this constant use of lethal force against someone who maybe slightly inconvenienced you for a second is pretty much exclusive to cars.

for every person who's living out a car commercial, happily driving along an empty mountain road or something, there are a hundred people stuck in stop and go traffic steadily getting angrier and angrier.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

makes perfect sense that someone wants to drive to clear their head because walking to clear your head is a non-starter in car world. Golly im having such a hard time relaxing while I play a mortal game of frogger every 200 feet

Yeah there isn't really an alternative for lots of people. All of our paths are for cars. The sidewalks we do have are right up against busy roads. They aren't pleasant.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

take a drive out into the countryside, go to a racetrack and go vroom vroom, don't make people dependent on them in cities and cut space for pedestrians and everyone else to accomodate them

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

can you imagine

https://twitter.com/parisyimby/status/1493700667856330752?s=20&t=WnTuqgiuM-bXMNStlvhQUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

take a drive out into the countryside, go to a racetrack and go vroom vroom, don't make people dependent on them in cities and cut space for pedestrians and everyone else to accomodate them

Yeah, society shouldn’t be built around someone’s hobby. Either way, highways will likely always exist since they are needed to supplement rail routes even in countries with very developed rail systems. Just put punishing tolls of them and if they want to drive they can pay for it.

Cities really don’t need private cars, and they only exist as a source or emotional validation. (Also, the US is forced to rely on cars because it’s infrastructure is embarrassing.)