Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
nobody will do your characters justice like horny artists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

As far as FPS Roguelikes/lites go, Receiver is my white whale. I love the concept. I love the way you have to manipulate each part and function of whatever pistol you spawn with individually, and the gunfeel is solid, even if you're only using them against stationary turrets and flying tasers. But I'm just so bad at it. I banged my head against Receiver 2 for *checks Steam library* 41 hours before realizing I'd never get past stage 3 out of five, because A) ammo is at a premium and B) there'd always be something that screws me over, from a turret placed at just the right (read: wrong) place, or a taser drone, period. Those bastards are fast and slippery. The environments are very blah, a bit of a step up from the original game (which was made in 7 days, so there's justification for that), but the tension of managing your ammo and listening for the telltale whirr of a turret or a taser's propellers and watching their spotlights makes for compelling gameplay.

Sadly, like all the other Rogues that I've brought, ranging from many genres, there comes a point where I simply peak and can't progress any further. I want to like them, I've tried, but they ain't for me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Nightmare Reaper probably works the best of any Roguelike FPS I've played, probably because it only really applies the formula to having randomized level/enemy/weapon layouts, and drops the whole "you die you have to start all the way from the beginning" part that makes Roguelikes otherwise almost universally unplayable slogs that I have no idea how they've become popular

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Gunfire Reborn is the only legit roguelite/FPS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’ve never played a first person game that wore procedural map generation well.

The best FPS-adjacent roguelike is Jupiter Hell. It’s just Doom but a roguelike. And unlike the 90% of the genre which seems to want you to play like it’s 4-dimensional hyperspace Go and consider every move for 100 years only to lose it all when you inevitably gently caress up, it’s fun and short.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yo that comic book style art for Aces looks real good and I guess Im buying a game for art.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Oh that's awesome. My only complaint about the FA demo was that the comic art was kinda bad. These look great.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

site posted:

nobody will do your characters justice like horny artists
"That's my secret Trey... I'm always horny"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

Yo that comic book style art for Aces looks real good and I guess Im buying a game for art.

I bought darkest dungeon for narration.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
@RocketPan what do you make of the PowerSlave comments regarding the changes to aiming behavior affecting the feel of the game play? For example:
https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1491989708708069377
The auto-aim system of the original version is also something John Linneman called out in his video from a few years back as contributing significantly to the overall feel of the game being focused on exploration and which weapons to use, not so much on accuracy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish you could turn that on because the flies are annoying as gently caress

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never played the original but I think it was a good call due to having more modern controls. Probably should be an option though.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

@RocketPan what do you make of the PowerSlave comments regarding the changes to aiming behavior affecting the feel of the game play? For example:
https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1491989708708069377
The auto-aim system of the original version is also something John Linneman called out in his video from a few years back as contributing significantly to the overall feel of the game being focused on exploration and which weapons to use, not so much on accuracy.

Cifaldi's right, the lack (or should I say, the presence) of Y axis aim in the new version is disorienting.

Same for the dual-analogue controls, my muscle memory keeps expecting the old scheme, the thing is I don't remember what my custom mappings were.

So RN I'm in this weird space where modern FPS controls feel off and I keep missing jumps because I press a face button, or getting hit because I tried to strafe with the L1/R1, yet at the same time I can't really map the 6 button scheme to a 4 button pad, even if I could recall it (which I can't, it's been 20 years).

None of this is a knock against the remake, just a bizarre state of affairs that I'd never experienced before.

RocketPan, I believe there are a few typos in the original game credits, John Van Deusen is spelled Van Duesen a couple of times.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Storm One posted:

RocketPan, I believe there are a few typos in the original game credits, John Van Deusen is spelled Van Duesen a couple of times.
Yeah, there's a few typos in there I saw too (Instruction Manuel, Tommy Tellarico... someone keeps hitting E instead of A!).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1493673026176618505?s=20&t=S4EcIuuIulKJ1L6Tp0Detg

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Instruction Manuel

Good username this

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I also noticed the autoaim being much less forgiving than I'm used to. Granted, I'm also playing on PC, so I have enough fine aiming as it is with the mouse that weaker autoaim isn't so huge a drawback.

Almost done with the game, I'm up to the Kilmaat levels now. Also got 9 of the Team Dolls; I found like 5 on my own based on my memories of where they were on Saturn, but enough of them have moved that I'd only be able to find, like, one more past that - and that one would be the goddamn laser maze one. :ohdear: As such, I've been referencing a YouTube video to at least see what walls I need to blow up are.

Debating if I want to 100% the achievements - Hard was suitably difficult, but Pharaoh sounds like it might be a bit much. And knifing a Magmantis... :stonklol:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

https://twitter.com/TrepangStudios/status/1492699669427752960?cxt=HHwWgMCsiZqckbcpAAAA
That kick-off around the 20 second mark is sick.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Decided to try some Quake 2 via KMquake 2 and I am digging this game right now. I always bounced off it but for some reason its hitting the right notes this time. What a baller soundtrack.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress yeah new Trepang stuff

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

verbal enema posted:

:emptyquote:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Disposable Scud posted:

Decided to try some Quake 2 via KMquake 2 and I am digging this game right now. I always bounced off it but for some reason its hitting the right notes this time. What a baller soundtrack.

It's that (theme song by Robert Zombert!) and the sweet sweet ssg.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Q2 SSG feels and sounds like some kind of naval artillery, I love it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love that Rob Zombie guy, I saw him live one time yessir. And Sonic Mayhem sure does a fine OST yes indeed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's that (theme song by Robert Zombert!)

Wait, what?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’m addicted to super jumping around in Powerslave

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The Q2 SSG feels and sounds like some kind of naval artillery, I love it.

Both the regular shotgun and ssg are FANTASTIC. I'd even score the Q2 SSG higher than Doom 2's, in feel and look.

Man, going to have to reinstall Q2 now. A remaster similar to the one Q1 got for Switch would be so good...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Both the regular shotgun and ssg are FANTASTIC. I'd even score the Q2 SSG higher than Doom 2's, in feel and look.

Man, going to have to reinstall Q2 now. A remaster similar to the one Q1 got for Switch would be so good...

Yeah, the worst stuff about Q2 is that it's called "Quake" and it's almost nothing like Quake in terms of atmosphere, gameplay, and plot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the worst stuff about Q2 is that it's called "Quake" and it's almost nothing like Quake in terms of atmosphere, gameplay, and plot.

Well also its a lurching half step in design between Quake and Half-Life. For me its lacking the purity of its predecessors and the design and QoL of its succesors, a half thing, cursed with unlife.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's a fair cop, but I think it hits the sweet spot between being a good crowded shooter and being (as per civvy) a linear sequence of scares. The enemy design is lacking and the maps have a few times where you have to go back and it's confusing, but it feels more like a proper 3D Doom game than the actual Doom 3. There's some fun scripted stuff, decent particle effects, and it has that nice dark forces thing where there's a thin veneer of "you're on a mission, you've got to accomplish this thing" so you can almost pretend you're not just trying to kill your way from point a to point b. Plus the dying animations are cool, and the one strogg grunt that gets a couple shots off while dying is neat.

Plus the DM was really loving sick.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

The gunplay is close enough I suppose.

I'd like a Q2 (3 too!) remaster too and I'm confident it'll come.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I am going to be honest - I actually prefer Q2 to Quake.
Even worse I have just never gelled with Quake 1 and I don't really enjoy playing it, despite multiple attempts. It's weird and I know that I am well in the minority on that, and that's totally fine.

I suppose it's something with the movement or weapons or something like that I guess? I also massively preferred UT to Q3 as well; I've never worked it why exactly cause I absolutely see that they're well made.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've always preferred Q3 to Unreal but Unreal obviously has it beat on larger big team games. That's always been my favorite aspect of the Unreal series, especially onslaught and assault in 2004.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
UT2k4 legit as hell.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Quake II is 100% colored lighting right? That's all I can really remember about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, there was a lot of that. There were also cool particle effects everywhere.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

UT2k4 legit as hell.

Think I’ll reinstall tomorrow and look for some onslaught or assault games. Some of you should join me.:)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I was playing Q2 with RTX and their latest update broke the save files :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

trepang is so cool. its like a game from an alternate universe 2013 where FEAR and max payne 3 were enourmous hits