Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/SPOG1952/status/1493413421055762432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

https://twitter.com/HunterZ0/status/1493449980308180993?s=20&t=sbEw0JwCqZLflzuXBwqoOA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:smaug: can be added to the northeast quadrant.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
"I'm big, you're food."

Yep, checks out

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This witch king of Angmar sounds like a kind and simple soul

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tree Bucket posted:

This witch king of Angmar sounds like a kind and simple soul

He's not from angmar, he conquered angmar

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dwarves of the blue mountains, goodest, simplest.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ikanreed posted:

He's not from angmar, he conquered angmar

Drat! Foiled by the genitive case, again!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Nenonen posted:

Actually makes perfect sense

(there's a hidden Nazi base underneath Antarctica)

Counterpoint: the United Kingdom

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Actually makes perfect sense

(there's a hidden Nazi base underneath Antarctica)

I knew Argentina was just the worst

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Police officer guild? Are cops just larpy chuds?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Outrail posted:

at least it's a more honest name than calling them "unions"

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Is this a trick question?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah in hindsight I asked a dumb question. Of course cops are a bunch of chuds acting out their paramilitary fantasies why not have guilds and legions and poo poo.

Do any major chains give official discounts to cops like vets? I'm sure lots of small businesses do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys. Guild is a commonly used name for unions. The Writer’s Guild of America and Screen Actor’s Guild are not LARPing. Cop unions do all sorts of insane poo poo but that is not one of them.

Related, my own union’s planned twitter handle had to be changed because a WoW guild had taken it a decade ago.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Feb 16, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Henchman of Santa posted:

You guys. Guild is a commonly used name for unions. The Writer’s Guild of America and Screen Actor’s Guild are not LARPing. Cop unions do all sorts of insane poo poo but that is not one of them.

Related, my own union’s planned twitter handle had to be changed because a WoW guild had taken it a decade ago.

Sounds like larping to me. Does your guild I'm sorry Union play horde or alliance?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

.... The Elves of the north?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cops unions are larping because they aren't labor, not because of the naming

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

https://twitter.com/secretbase/status/1494004163394506753

The blacked-out bar on the right side is the Oklahoma City Thunder. The person who prepared the chart, Alex Rubenstein, was a fan of the Seattle Sonics, the NBA team that relocated about ten years ago to become the Oklahoma City Thunder. Alex to this day refuses to depict the Thunder on any of the charts he makes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Paper Tiger posted:

The blacked-out bar on the right side is the Oklahoma City Thunder. The person who prepared the chart, Alex Rubenstein, was a fan of the Seattle Sonics, the NBA team that relocated about ten years ago to become the Oklahoma City Thunder. Alex to this day refuses to depict the Thunder on any of the charts he makes.

I'm a turbonerd and even I want to give that guy a wedgie

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Paper Tiger posted:

Even to this day, making fun of the SuperSonics move is one of the easiest ways to annoy someone from Seattle, second only to saying that they should’ve run the ball in Super Bowl XLIX.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

TinTower posted:

Even to this day, making fun of the SuperSonics move is one of the easiest ways to annoy someone from Seattle, second only to saying that they should’ve run the ball in Super Bowl XLIX.

i'm a sonics and seahawks fan and this is 100% true

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Cops unions are larping because they aren't labor, not because of the naming

Cops are still labor, they've just been co-opted by capital into being class traitors by the ability to act out their bastardry

Outrail posted:

Do any major chains give official discounts to cops like vets? I'm sure lots of small businesses do.
Firearm and gun-adjacent businesses very frequently will

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DarkHorse posted:

Cops are still labor, they've just been co-opted by capital into being class traitors by the ability to act out their bastardry

Firearm and gun-adjacent businesses very frequently will

*gets gun with uniform* Neet! Better get some more.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

DarkHorse posted:

i dunno, i'm sort of comfortable with excluding inveterate class traitors from labor. they can come back when they stop class traitoring

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm always a fan of how Bois handles something similar:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

I'm always a fan of how Bois handles something similar:

In my heart their real name is still Washington Football Team.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Can American sports teams literally just loving move. That's crazy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like player transfers already bring up some sports team of theseus issues.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Can American sports teams literally just loving move. That's crazy

Back in 1984, because the city of Baltimore refused to build a new stadium for the Colts, Robert Irsay was not even hiding the fact that he was going to pack up and leave town for Indianapolis, and got permission for it in March of that year. That led to the Maryland General Assembly passing a bill allowing the city to seize the team by eminent domain.

The problem was that by the time the governor signed the bill at four in the morning of March 29th, the trucks moving the team were already out of the state, so the only thing the city could take was the now-empty stadium.

Of course, the city of Baltimore didn't complain when Art Modell – who was one of the biggest critics of the Colts move in the literal dead of night – did the same to the city of Cleveland and moved the Browns to Maryland in 1996 (although pretty much everyone else did, which led to the historical fudge that the Ravens are officially a 1996 expansion team and the current Browns – who were effectively a 1999 expansion team – have the rights to the old Browns' legacy).

This is, of course, why Indianapolis, a city whose immediate legacy is motor-racing, instead has an NFL team called the Colts – they were named in honour of the horse-racing industry (which hosts the Preakness Stakes in the city)

TinTower has a new favorite as of 10:40 on Feb 17, 2022

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like player transfers already bring up some sports team of theseus issues.

just rooting for laundry, as the clichéd joke goes

i am an inveterate laundry fan, btw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

This is, of course, why Indianapolis, a city whose immediate legacy is motor-racing, instead has an NFL team called the Colts – they were named in honour of the horse-racing industry (which hosts the Preakness Stakes in the city)

You’re telling me that they’re not named for the guns? :monocle:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Platystemon posted:

You’re telling me that they’re not named for the guns? :monocle:

boy have i got a team for you

a team logo is sort of a graph, yeah? graph-ic, if you will

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

Of course, the city of Baltimore didn't complain when Art Modell – who was one of the biggest critics of the Colts move in the literal dead of night – did the same to the city of Cleveland and moved the Browns to Maryland in 1996 (although pretty much everyone else did, which led to the historical fudge that the Ravens are officially a 1996 expansion team and the current Browns – who were effectively a 1999 expansion team – have the rights to the old Browns' legacy).

Similarly, the Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002 and Charlotte received the expansion Bobcats two years later. Twelve years later the Hornets changed their name to the Pelicans and the Bobcats took on the old Hornets name and colors AND got their history up until 2002, while the Pelicans are treated as a franchise formed in ‘02.

quote:

See also Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies. And by happy accident the Detroit Pistons and Houston Rockets got more fitting names after moving!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Similarly, the Charlotte Hornets moved to New Orleans in 2002 and Charlotte received the expansion Bobcats two years later. Twelve years later the Hornets changed their name to the Pelicans and the Bobcats took on the old Hornets name and colors AND got their history up until 2002, while the Pelicans are treated as a franchise formed in ‘02.

See also Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis Grizzlies. And by happy accident the Detroit Pistons and Houston Rockets got more fitting names after moving!

The funniest team to move and keep it's name has to be the Jazz moving from New Orleans to Utah, with the Lakers (Minnesota to LA) a close second

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah can’t believe I forgot the Jazz since I was doing just NBA teams there

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Whooping Crabs posted:

The funniest team to move and keep it's name has to be the Jazz moving from New Orleans to Utah, with the Lakers (Minnesota to LA) a close second

Nobody blinks at the Calgary Flames, but if they'd stayed where they started out, in Atlanta...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1-QAF8gLy0

Relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005