Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
This is a short one from r/maliciouscompliance that reddit thought was popular enough to show me but I wish they'd posted it in AITA instead of what seems like a very insular back-slapping subreddit.

quote:

Neighbor wanted the fence fix, we just removed the fenceOC (self.MaliciousCompliance)

This happen to my friend a couple months ago. Him and his wife just moved into their first house about 6 months ago. Then a strong wind storm came through and damaged their fence. And by damaged their fence I mean the fence was now leaning slightly, leaning about 70 degrees.

Because home insurance won’t fix the fence plus it being winter. My friend and his wife were going to wait until spring to hire someone to fix/ replace their fence. Well their backyard neighbor did not like that. The backyard neighbor wanted the fence fix asap.

When the neighbor found out they were going to wait until spring, the neighbor called the city and complained that their fence was out of code. When the city inspector came out to inspect their fence, it was in fact out of code and needed to be corrected.

Now the reason the neighbor was so fixated on the fence being replaced is because the neighbor has a pool in their yard and need to have a fence around their pool for safety.

Well my friend and his wife now pissed off at their neighbor decided to only remove the fence and not replace it. This allows them to be in city code and now when the spring hits, the neighbor is going to need to build a fence on their backside of their yard if they want to fill up their pool for the summer.

If the neighbor would have just been nice and not called the city like a Karen my friend would of build the fence up in the spring now problem.

The location is never specified, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

Because home insurance won’t fix the fence
?? Not very good insurance then, almost all here would without having extra cover. Then again, it seems in the US many suburbs don't have fences by default.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Yeah most sub divisions I see being built don't have fences, and I know my city are dickheads about putting a fence in

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to walk my daughter down the aisle?

The ones where they're just lovely for no reason at all and think they're in the right for just the dumbest reasons make me the most angry

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for taking my ugly van to my boyfriend's work function instead of my sports car?

quote:

I have two vehicles:

A 2019 mazda miata. It's not great in the winter when it doesn't have snow tires on.

A 2002 Ford Transit, a really beat up old van which I use for road trips. It's not really #vanlife stylish, even though I camp in it. It's beat up and I disguised it as an electrician's work van, complete with vinyl logos advertising my "business" to avoid unwanted attention when traveling.

Anyway, my boyfriend had a work function coming up and he asked if I could be his designated driver... Since his company culture kinda depends on heavy drinking to fit in... He wanted me to join for the event for appearance sake, apparently all his peers wives were joining

The day of, it looked like snow so I decided to drive the van. I pulled up to my boyfriend's office. He came out and immediately asked me where the Miata was. I said it was at home because it was looking like snow.

He asked if we could stop by the apartment and get the Miata. He was already embarrassed enough getting in the van from his office where people could see. I said no, I wasn't comfortable driving it in snow with summer tires.

He said I was really making him look bad, I should have known he was trying to make a good impression.

I said I'd park somewhere discreet.

So we headed to the bar, and it turned out the parking area was quite small, a single row across the front of the building right in front of the windows. I parked in the corner.

My boyfriend was stressed when I opened the back of the van looking for my wallet because he thought someone inside might see the bed inside so he said he'd put everything on his card, just shut the doors.

So we went in and one of his coworkers asked if I'm an electrician. I joked "Close, I'm an electrical engineer, so like an electrician but more out of touch"

His coworker asked me why I had an electrician's van, and I said I'd bought it used. (This was a white lie, I'd applied the logo). His coworker asked me why I'd got a van, and I said I like road tripping and I like how it's more compact than a RV.

This led to a little small talk about where I've traveled and I told them about my last cross country trip to the West Coast.

But afterwards, my boyfriend confronted me in the van and said that it was attention grabbing, that he was embarrassed by me talking about traveling and living in a van.

I got frustrated and said I wasn't trying to make a scene, his coworkers asked. And that honestly if he was depending on me for rides, beggars can't be choosers. And I'm not doing something I don't think is safe just for appearance.

He got upset with me and said I don't respect his career and I said that I felt like he didn't respect mine either if he wanted me to roll up to his work events like a trophy wife for display instead of someone with their own poo poo going on.

AITA for how I drove my boyfriend to his work event?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
AITA for taking my ugly van to my boyfriend's work function instead of my sports car?

I like this woman and would road trip with her. Dump stick in the Mud boyfreind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

At least 2 of his coworkers are probably fantasizing about having a "van life" girlfriend they could go on amazing vacations with.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pentyne posted:

At least 2 of his coworkers are probably fantasizing about having a "van life" girlfriend they could go on amazing vacations with.

Good news! I think one's about to be single soon!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good news! I think one's about to be single soon!
then she can get rid of the 'no tools stored in this van overnight' sign

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

then she can get rid of the 'no tools stored in this van overnight' sign

I had a good giggle over that, well done !

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

PancakeTransmission posted:

?? Not very good insurance then, almost all here would without having extra cover. Then again, it seems in the US many suburbs don't have fences by default.

Wooden fences are generally excluded from home insurance and covered at depreciated value even if your home insurance policy covers replacement value for damages. So insurance will assess the age of the fence, run a formula to figure out how much it's depreciated since it was built, and then pay you that value. Unless of course the fence is on the property line, in which case they'll pay you _half_ that value and tell you that your neighbor's home insurance will have to cover the other half.

This was an extremely fun thing to learn about in November of 2020 when lumber prices were at an all-time-high and depreciated value of my wooden fence covers approximately the cost of one board for rebuilding the fence.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to walk my daughter down the aisle?

Julie asked me to please decline since she wanted to be the first to be walked down the aisle and since she asked first, thinks that I have a stronger commitment to her. I agreed since this is more of an Us thing rather than an after-though like Marie's wedding.

how the gently caress is that a reason. OP and Julie are both trash and no wonder Marie didn't let em meet her fiance earlier

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling my daughter (23F) she's a bad person over pizza?
EDIT: About the bit regarding pronouns - I identify as female but it is rude to refer to someone as 'she' rather than their name/title if they are part of a discussion.

another one of these huh

Rimmer : Snooty cow. She used to look down on me. She used to call me "Rimmer."

Lister : Everybody called you "Rimmer."

Rimmer : Ah, it's the way she said it, though. Rimmer. Rimmer. To rhyme with "scum."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

quote:

I helped Natalie clean up the cake to where it looked decent (it was a chocolate cake so it was easy to fix with some icing, sprinkles, and candies). Then right afterwards her bf came over and gave her a stuffed dog and some flowers (that I guarantee he picked from our neighbors lol) before they went to the living room to play Pokemon.

loving goddamned adorable is what this is.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITA for being angry at my husband because he gifted his uncle an expensive wristwatch without telling me?

I think this is my new biggest trigger. I get so stressed for the women in the relationship, "Oh I don't have a job because I take care of the children, but also don't have any money or access to the household income."

quote:

$40K is not a lot of money to us but still

I don't think anyone involved in this situation will ever have to worry about making rent or buying groceries.

That aside, the key missing piece of information is how much those "side businesses" run by the uncle were making them.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Boyfriend Before: You'll embarrass me by driving us in a vehicle of the poor!

Boyfriend After: You embarrassed me by being more charming and interesting than me!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't think anyone involved in this situation will ever have to worry about making rent or buying groceries.

That aside, the key missing piece of information is how much those "side businesses" run by the uncle were making them.

Lucrative meth lab.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for causing a family argument over my nickname?

quote:

I, (30F) have been “Bee” since I was born, and still go by that nickname with my friends and family as an adult. My aunt started using the same nickname for her eldest granddaughter when she was born in 2008, for the purposes of this we’ll just call her granddaughter “LB”. I really didn’t care, as it’s just a name, and I had been “Bee” for seventeen years at that point.

Six years ago I was working at a zoo when my mum asked if I would send some exotic feathers to LB, as one of her hobbies was collecting feathers. I agreed, and posted her some I had found around the zoo with a little note briefly explaining the species, names and personality traits of the birds they belonged to.

A week later I was out at dinner with my sister and BIL when I noticed I had several missed calls from my aunt. We’ve never really had direct contact, so this seemed odd to me. I checked my voicemail to find she had left me a message demanding that I call her back immediately in an angry tone. I was still trying to decide if I wanted to return her calls or not when I received a text from my mother warning me that my aunt was angry I had signed the note to LB “with love from Bee”, as it had apparently upset LB, who was eight at the time, that I had stolen her name. I don’t enjoy melodrama, so I opted out and went about my evening with my phone on silent.

I saw my mum the next day, and she told me that she’d had a falling out with my aunt over my nickname, as my aunt was demanding that I stop calling myself “Bee” because it was unfair and confusing for LB. She suggested that if I were desperate I could be called “Bigger Bee”, but that it would be better if I just changed it altogether. We both laughed about it and I confirmed that what she had told my aunt the previous evening was correct. I wouldn’t change my nickname, and I didn’t expect LB to change hers, as far as I was concerned we could both be “Bee” without causing harm.

In the end I didn’t answer any of my aunts calls, and my mum stopped taking them too. Later that morning I received a text from her saying that I was a bitch for what I was doing to LB, and for causing an argument between her and my mother, to which I never responded.

I chose not to have further contact with her side of the family, and have happily carried on going by “Bee” in the intervening years, I assume that LB did too, although I’ve never asked. My mother resumed contact with my aunt after a few months, but things were always strained after that, and they were never close again.

Recently someone mentioned that I had caused an “ugly rift” in the family by refusing to change my nickname for LB or take my aunts calls. They feel that I should have spoken to my aunt when she called and agreed to change my name to avoid hurting LB. I feel I was right to stand my ground over both my nickname, and my choice not to engage in the argument or have any subsequent contact with my aunt, but their comment has planted a small seed of doubt. AITA?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Give me your name!

Our kid has the same name as a friend of ours and both of them think it's cool.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My random roommate (23F) is literally driving me (21F) insane

quote:

I live in an off campus apartment with 2 of my best friends. We had a 4 bedroom with the expectation of our other friend moving in, but she had some circumstances that left the 4th bedroom empty. Being that we’re in a college oriented apartment complex, our rent didn’t change, and the building reserved the right to rent out our room. They told us they would let us know who was moving in before hand and let us talk to each other and get to know one another. They lied.

In August my friend (20) was downstairs in her underwear one morning making breakfast. An older man walked into our apartment with a key, didn’t say anything and walked upstairs. My roommate was about to call the cops until our random roommate came in. Not only were we not told who our roommate was, we weren’t even told we were getting one at that moment, and her dad saw my best friend naked. Terrible first meeting.

A little bit about my new roommate: She is not a college student. She graduated from a very conservative Christian university. She is from Ethiopia and there is quite a barrier in our communication at times. She seemed nice enough in the beginning but it continues to get worse. She works a full-time job remotely and doesn’t have a car so she NEVER leaves the apartment…. Yay.

A little bit about us: We had grown accustomed to living alone. We smoked a lot of weed in the house, had friends over and used her room as a guest room so the introduction came at a horrible time. We made a bad first impression just as much as she did, but I guess we have the complex to blame for that. We did, however, know that there was a possibility of someone moving in so we tried our best that day to make the apartment suitable for her. We cleaned out space for her in the fridge and common area, in the storage closet and in the garage and told her we could take her out to dinner her first night if she would like. She declined immediately.

We live in a townhome set-up with 3 floors. The first floor is the living area with a garage, in-unit washer and dryer, the kitchen and living room. There are 2 rooms on the second and 2 on the third floors. I lived on the second floor next to the open room so I gained a neighbor in the process. My friends live upstairs. Also, the two car garage was used by me and one of my other friends. We weren’t allowed to park in the other spaces at the complex and if we did, we were to be towed.

When she moved in, her parents could only do so much and left the rest of her stuff in my space in the garage while I was at work. I was forced to park somewhere else, left a note on my car about the incident and prayed I didn’t get towed. I assumed she would have it all moved that weekend. My car was towed 2 days later. I tried to dispute it but was out $200. I told my random roommate about it and she didn’t offer to pay, and STILL didn’t move her stuff after I asked. I had to park at a friend’s place and was without a car for weeks. I asked my roommate everyday about her stuff. Every. Day. She just didn’t care.

Aside from this she is one of the most inconsiderate people I have ever lived with. She never cleans her dishes, leaves plates of food in the dishwasher and runs it, uses our stuff as if it’s her own (dishwasher detergent, food, drinks, you name it). I have a lovely part time job making hardly any money and she makes salary, so I take it especially hard when my stuff goes missing. I have told her multiple times and it has not changed. She acts as if she understands and does nothing.

She had COVID a month ago. She texted us that she had it and that she was gonna quarantine in her room until she was safe. She lied and was in our common areas mask-less for the duration of her ‘quarantine’. She didn’t sanitize anything she used. And when I say downstairs in the common room, I don’t mean cooking and doing laundry, which was valid. I mean camping out with blankets, napping, binge-watching Netflix. I had to go home to my parents house, a 4 hour drive might I add, to avoid getting sick. Once again we all asked her to quarantine and she ignored us.

Now in present day, she’s still a slob. Still inconsiderate. On our shared second floor we have our own control of the thermostat. I wake up every morning to her blasting the heat on 77°. We live in the South. It is roughly that temperature outside right now. I’ve told her I can’t sleep that way, so she’s been waiting until she thinks I’m asleep and cranking the heat up.

There are more stories I could tell but the reality and everyday stories are seemingly worse. I hate coming here after class. I do my best to avoid it and spend the night at friends’ places all the time. I have talked to her and no resolutions have been made. I don’t know what to do. Help! :(

TL;DR My random roommate is inconsiderate, steals my stuff and won’t listen when confronted.

help ive tried nothing and im all out of ideas

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

WIBTA if I announced my Pregnancy?

quote:

A month ago my mom (37) found out she is pregnant with her 10th child. She announced it towards the end of January and everyone has been happy for her since she was told she couldn't have anymore kids because it was a health risk for her. She takes every opportunity to let everyone know she is pregnant, like at my dad's retirement when people were congratulating my dad for retiring from the military, she would change the subject her having a baby. It got old fast, we're happy for her but she's taking it too far.

On the 13th of February my husband (21) and I(21) found out that we are expecting our second child as well. This little one was a big surprise because we were told that I wasn't going to be able to get pregnant again due to the complication from our daughter. We haven't announced it to everyone just really close family members like my parents and my in laws. When we told my mother she through a fit. She began accusing us of trying to take attention off her and her "little miracle." Telling us that we got pregnant just to spite her and that we shouldn't say anything about us being pregnant to anyone until her baby is born.. Which is a month before we're due.😅 She also started going on about if anything happens to her baby it's our fault because we're causing stress for her and that this pregnancy is hard already and we made it worse.

My dad and my mom's family have been begging us not to say anything about our pregnancy so that my mom doesn't stress.

I don't want to stress my mom out and have harm come to her baby but at the same time I feel like I should also be allowed to celebrate and share my pregnancy as we thought we couldn't have anymore children.

WIBTA if I announced our little tater tot coming anyways?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Soylent Pudding posted:

You beat me to it! I was going to spoiler a few things though LOL

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Soylent Pudding posted:

Stress your mom out as much as possible.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

37 - 21 - another 9 months = oh dear God

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Soylent Pudding posted:

the comments revealing she's only in touch with her mother so she can try to get CPS to do something about her 8 siblings is pretty heartbreaking

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Sounds like some Quiverfull poo poo. You think childfree people are crazy and annoying? Try being in a community where motherhood IS the purpose of women, and not having as many kids as you can support/pop out is "rejecting God's blessings." (That was my old church. Not full-out crazy, but anything less than 4 kids was a "small" family.)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

for the record, there's every possibility that the husband joined the military at 17 or 18, put in 20 years, and is age appropriate for his wife and there's no abuse etc implied. it's still not great for 16 year olds to be having kids of course (and as above, there's enough "yikes" wrt the quiverfull-seeming stuff)

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

37 - 21 - another 9 months = oh dear God

Notice the OP is already on baby #2 at 21, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Mx. posted:

AITA for causing a family argument over my nickname?

I have a dirt-common first name. Think John or Matthew. I've personally met dozens of people with my same first name. At two different workplaces I was one of 3 guys with the same first name.

What's the issue with having the same name as someone else?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Uncle Enzo posted:

I have a dirt-common first name. Think John or Matthew. I've personally met dozens of people with my same first name. At two different workplaces I was one of 3 guys with the same first name.

Supposing you're dealing with reasonable people? No problem at all.

The thing about unreasonable people is they can make just about anything a problem.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Uncle Enzo posted:

My year 10 class in high school only had 20 people, and 4 of them had my name. So 1:4 ratio.

It's also a name that was very, very popular through late 70's to early 80's, but at no other times really, so you can pretty much date anyone with this name.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Once I asked my dad why I have my name, since nobody else in the family has anything similar. He said it was because of a TV show character. Which is weird because that particular TV show came out twelve years after I was born and also the show sucked and also the character was a wiener. Anyways three kids in my class had the same name and we just joked about it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

I mean sometimes I get info that I shouldn't have access to because they send it to the wrong sullat and I know that at least one sullat didn't get lunch bought for him because his boss was somehow unable to send the emails to the right sullat and I would delete her emails unread.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

My year 10 class in high school only had 20 people, and 4 of them had my name. So 1:4 ratio.

It's also a name that was very, very popular through late 70's to early 80's, but at no other times really, so you can pretty much date anyone with this name.

Pnurtis?! Is that you?!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nvm

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 16, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My name's at a critical density of uncommonness; most people I meet know one and only one other person with the same name. I met one of them once, it was really weird. Now I know how a fission reactor feels.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Bruceski posted:

My name's at a critical density of uncommonness; most people I meet know one and only one other person with the same name. I met one of them once, it was really weird. Now I know how a fission reactor feels.

That was the situation for my name until gen z came along, and now no one at the coffee shop knows how to spell it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to stop calling my 9 yo son "honey"?

quote:

The situation is a bit silly but I'll let you guys decide.

I f36 have been dating my boyfriend Joe m38 for few months, he has met my 9 yo son and they both get along pretty well.

Joe started staying longer during the weekends and days ago while he was visiting, he heard me call my son "honey". He stayed quite during the entire breakfast then brought it up with me. I asked what was wrong and he said that I shouldn't call my son honey espcially because I call him that and he just thinks this term is used for romantic partners. I laughed it off because I thought it was a small and silly thing to comment on but he got offended by my lack of care for his "concerns" and asked me to stop using this word with my son since he feels it's misplaced. I told him no, this was not a valid argument by him and in my opinion, does not deserve "consideration". we argued for few minutes then he decided to go out saying we'll talk about this again later but I firmly told him there's nothing to talk about, and I will not stop calling my son honey. end of story, He got upset and went out.

He then sent a long text about how I keep disregarding his thoughts, opinions and input and brush them off not caring about how it makes him feel. he said it'd only be reasonable to use my son's nicknames when referring to him and we can be done with this issue but I refused to stop. He's gone silent now save for a text here and there. AITA for not compromising and flatout refusing to stop calling my son this word?

i get called honey by old ladies at the shops on the regular and i would not call all of them my romantic partner

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I call my friends honey when I'm in a saucy mood

And honey, I love to be in a saucy mood

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to stop calling my 9 yo son "honey"?

i get called honey by old ladies at the shops on the regular and i would not call all of them my romantic partner

I assumed it was gonna be the 9yo being embarrassed, but OP managed to pull a classic AITA switcheroo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Captain Hygiene posted:

I assumed it was gonna be the 9yo being embarrassed

Hi there. Welcome to the thread. You must be new here!