Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
states are laboratories of democracy, counties are petri dishes and beakers of democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's a country music festival, of course they're antivax influencers

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quarantinethepast posted:

Are the organizers just diehard antivax or something? Of course you could say they're looking for maximum $$ but then I wonder if their laxity wouldn't scare away some vendors.

You're guaranteeing yourself covid if you attend that.

It's entirely possible they're just cheap and lazy and don't want to have to bother setting up a system of vaccination verification and enforcement for 100K+ people. Setting a vaccine mandate means checking everybody's card at entry, paying guards/ODO's to handle the inevitable meltdowns when non-vaxxed people show up anyway and get denied entry, etc. Far easier to just say "no requirements but if you're smart you'll get vaxxed!" and wash your hands of it all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also they're not required to check any of that. It's always been a voluntary extra thing. The couple places I've been that claimed to do card checking always seemed to magically stop caring once it got busy enough, and doing it at a huge festival would require dozens of extra employees.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

quarantinethepast posted:

Are the organizers just diehard antivax or something? Of course you could say they're looking for maximum $$ but then I wonder if their laxity wouldn't scare away some vendors.

You're guaranteeing yourself covid if you attend that.

You can say the same thing of every open restaurant, school, bar, or other gathering space. If people aren't wearing n95 tier masks, they're exposing each other to covid. Taking masks off to eat or drink exposes them to covid. Negotiating with a virus works as well as asking the rain not to get you wet as you run to your car.

I just surprised that everyone is going as hard as possible on ignoring covid. I worked in the concert industry for 20 years, and saw them steadily ramp up dumb security theater bullshit over that time, and was expecting roughly the same thing. Lot of pointless surface cleaning and hand sanitizer, but even that level of theater is too much.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Larry Parrish posted:

and doing it at a huge festival would require dozens of extra employees.
They're making, what, $50,000,000 in ticket sales, before VIP offerings? If they paid 50 people $1000 for working the weekend and had $1000 in overhead for each one of them, that's 0.2% of gross revenue for pandemic compliance. They could raise the price of the $500 tickets to $501 to cover the additional costs. It's not about how much it costs, it's about proud chuds being proud about being chuds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinite Karma posted:

They're making, what, $50,000,000 in ticket sales, before VIP offerings? If they paid 50 people $1000 for working the weekend and had $1000 in overhead for each one of them, that's 0.2% of gross revenue for pandemic compliance. They could raise the price of the $500 tickets to $501 to cover the additional costs. It's not about how much it costs, it's about proud chuds being proud about being chuds

it sounds like it would reduce their profitability regardless, dude. they could also raise the tickets $1 and pocket the money. i don't disagree but if the state won't enforce this stuff itself it just isn't going to happen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sydin posted:

It's entirely possible they're just cheap and lazy and don't want to have to bother setting up a system of vaccination verification and enforcement for 100K+ people. Setting a vaccine mandate means checking everybody's card at entry, paying guards/ODO's to handle the inevitable meltdowns when non-vaxxed people show up anyway and get denied entry, etc. Far easier to just say "no requirements but if you're smart you'll get vaxxed!" and wash your hands of it all.

They're gonna be checking everyone though a metal detector and searching bags for outside booze, drugs, and contraband unauthorized water bottles anyways. Those searches are mostly to ensure everyone has to buy overpriced booze and supplies inside the festival, though. Actual security is a few tiers down in priority. But it's still pretty high, country shows are some of the worst in terms of drunken fights, and most of the attendees are used to carrying pocket knives. So ya gotta try keeping those out of the venue.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

jetz0r posted:

They're gonna be checking everyone though a metal detector and searching bags for outside booze, drugs, and contraband unauthorized water bottles anyways. Those searches are mostly to ensure everyone has to buy overpriced booze and supplies inside the festival, though. Actual security is a few tiers down in priority. But it's still pretty high, country shows are some of the worst in terms of drunken fights, and most of the attendees are used to carrying pocket knives. So ya gotta try keeping those out of the venue.

If you get caught by security trying to bring booze in then they'll just take your booze away and let you on through. If they were enforcing a vax requirement and people showed up without cards, they'd (presumably) be flat out denied entry. Being out $50 because you had to chuck your airplane liquor bottles sucks but isn't the end of the world. Being denied entry to a concert you bought an airplane ticket, hotel room, and planned your weekend around is the kind of thing that sends people into gigantic meltdowns that can easily get physical. Throw in the inherit politicization of vaccines and all the very strong feelings people have one way or another and you're inviting a massive clusterfuck that is far above and beyond standard security requirements.

idk maybe I'm naive but I feel like jumping straight to "ANTI-VAX CHUDS!!!!1111!!" is ascribing malice to what is much more likely just stupidity/laziness.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Disneyland's dropping its indoor mask requirement for most activities in a couple days.

quote:

With California on the verge of officially relaxing its statewide universal indoor masking mandate as the Omicron coronavirus wave continues to recede, Disneyland will no longer require vaccinated visitors to wear face coverings indoors beginning later this week.

Officials confirmed Tuesday that the Anaheim resort will follow the state’s guidelines by allowing vaccinated visitors to enter indoor eateries, stores and attractions without masks, starting Thursday.

Unvaccinated visitors must wear a mask in those settings, but Disney representatives said park employees will not be checking vaccination records.

The resort, which includes Disneyland and California Adventure Park, has required masks for visiting indoor shops and rides since June. Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park and Sea World in San Diego have also announced plans to follow the same state guidelines regarding masks.

Come Thursday, masks will still be required for all visitors in certain interior settings, such as while aboard Disney shuttles or when receiving first aid.

Park officials noted that face coverings must be made with at least two layers of material, fully cover a person’s nose and mouth and fit snugly over the face. Costume-style masks “are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn,” officials said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-02-15/disneyland-to-lift-indoor-mask-mandate-for-vaccinated-visitors-starting-thursday

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sydin posted:

idk maybe I'm naive but I feel like jumping straight to "ANTI-VAX CHUDS!!!!1111!!" is ascribing malice to what is much more likely just stupidity/laziness.
That's already thinking poisoned by whataboutism. There aren't two legitimate sides, there is a legitimate side (vaccination) and a crazy/ignorant illegitimate side. The only reason to cater to unvaccinated people is because you're afraid of losing the business of unvaccinated people, who can go and get vaccinated at literally any time if it suddenly became too burdensome. If you say "vaccine proof mandatory" and then don't let people in without vaccine proof, that's not really your problem anymore.

I literally went to an LA production of Hamilton on Sunday. They checked vaccine status for everyone and had people making sure everyone kept their masks on the entire time. It's not hard logistically, and clearly live theater and country music are different audiences, but it's just not accurate to say that enforcement is the problem, rather than your audience are chuds who would throw a fit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Infinite Karma posted:

That's already thinking poisoned by whataboutism.

lmao okay buddy. :jerkbag:

I'm not saying the decision to not enforce a vaccine mandate is justified. I'm saying it's entirely possible it's not being done to forward a political agenda and is instead being done because it's much easier to not have one than it is to have one, particularly when you're talking about a massive event with tens if not hundreds of thousands of people showing up.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is just a downside of our capitalists state desire to outsource as much government function as possible onto businesses and private citizens. Businesses especially aren't going to give a poo poo about doing any of it unless they have to, and they don't have to do this. The bigger the business the more likely they won't care about any particular social cause, which is what this is since the state doesn't care to make it a regulation. It sucks that they're even holding a concert, but what can you really expect out of them?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sydin posted:

That's fair.

jetz0r posted:

But it's still pretty high, country shows are some of the worst in terms of drunken fights, and most of the attendees are used to carrying pocket knives. So ya gotta try keeping those out of the venue.

Is it even a country festival without a few Mexican standoffs and barfights?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

What's up with the SF school board recall? It seems to be bankrolled by rich technolibertarians.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Anybody unvaxxed in California who wants to have an unfettered social life has a fake vax card. All you need is a scanner and some card stock. Vaccination checks are pointless.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what's CA's attoney general or law culture/ecosystem like? NY had a high profile bust a several weeks ago where some piece of poo poo healthcare workers got busted doing several million dollars of fake poo poo. (50$ and under, so like thousands for fakers that I hope are currently in line to a legal meat grinder)

I mean surely CA has some career climbing person that wants and easy win on their record.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i miss when bonta's twitter was him doing squats to pass boredom during the start of covid instead of generic AG press releases

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

What's up with the SF school board recall? It seems to be bankrolled by rich technolibertarians.

It's a right wing op

Some rich people are really mad about a new admissions policy that allows minorities and poor people (aka the majority of students in the SFSU) equal access to the most exclusive public school in SF, and they're also mad about removing racist names from schools, and are also mad about schools being closed due to the pandemic, so they're spending poo poo tons of money to try to convince everyone that the school board needs to be recalled.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It is. VERY few of the donors are from SF and an even smaller percentage of the money comes from SF donors, the money is 90% Republican millionaire donors. They've already said that if they're successful they're going to do more recalls (and they already have another one going). As for why the school board, 2 reasons.

First, a lot of parents wanted to send their kids to school last year before the teachers and staff were vaccinated and before there were vaccines available for children and the school board was intentionally delaying as long as they could to get the vaccination rate up and for retrofits to improve ventilation and air filtration could finish. Some of the stuff they did during that time where they were delaying, like renaming schools, pissed people off a lot. Furthermore, the schoolboard changed the enrollment requirements for SF's elite school, which effectively served as desegregating it. That pissed off a LOT of people (but they're not racist, they just wanted to keep the tradition of that elite school, which just happened to be effectively segregated).

Secondly, about half the people that make it onto the schoolboard use it as a stepping stone to later run for a higher office like the board of supervisors. If the recall is successful, the mayor will appoint the replacement school board members and she has been exceptionally friendly to businesses her whole career and does all she can to oppose progressives. She will be appointing people to just fill the position then run in the future as candidates for the board of supervisors to run as the moderate candidate against progressives.

The teacher's union also is extremely nervous because the mayor supported Bloomberg for president, and he wants to end public schools and replace them with charter schools, and the largest individual donor is a charter school investor who has donated $500k himself.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
COVID caused a lot of Dems to go full mask off and show they want to bust teacher unions as much as the GOP does. See also Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot who whose journey from ardent COVID warrior driving around the city with a megaphone to yell at people to wear masks, to all but arguing that teachers with COVID should be wheeled into the classroom on a ventilator if that's what it takes to keep in-person classes going is nothing short of parody.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just another day in SF, one of the most segregated and impoverished cities in America, basically. But luckily we get to pretend it's not since most of the population of the city is tourists, homeless, and working class people forced to commute from hours away so on paper it's very prosperous, since none of those people have an SF address and so don't count as real. Let me find the SF chronicle article from like 2013 where the city council invited an unofficial UN inspection and they said the living conditions rivaled some of the worst slums in the world lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was a lot more recent than I remembered, lol.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/22/un-rapporteur-homeless-san-francisco-california

quote:

In Mexico City, she spent time in a slum by a railway line. In Manila and Jakarta, she visited decrepit and makeshift houses. San Francisco has a median home value of $1.3m and would seem an incongruous next stop. Farha had come on an unofficial visit, at the invitation of academics and advocates.

“The situation is unacceptable in light of the wealth of the country,” she said, adding that she was “deeply, deeply concerned” by the homelessness she saw.

Poverty in the US is an established UN focus; last month, another rapporteur was dismayed by visits to Skid Row in Los Angeles and hookworm-afflicted deep south communities.

In 2011, a UN representative visited Sacramento. After discovering that homeless people were defecating into plastic bags, the official wrote to the city’s mayor. Such circumstances, she said, could amount to “cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment”.

It's pretty short, just read the whole thing, but lol. Wealthiest state in the union! 3rd largest economy or whatever the gently caress the last humble brag we had was.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Farha was struck by the stories she heard of homeless people losing their few possessions in encampment sweeps, and laws that criminalize sitting on sidewalks or food sharing. “There’s a cruelty here that I don’t think I’ve seen,” she said

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

most of the population of the city is tourists, homeless, and working class people forced to commute from hours away so on paper it's very prosperous, since none of those people have an SF address and so don't count as real. Let me find the SF chronicle article from like 2013 where the city council invited an unofficial UN inspection and they said the living conditions rivaled some of the worst slums in the world lol.

Yeah there are lots working class people that commute from far away, but there are also lots of working class people that live in SF city-proper. 60% of SF residents rent, and 60%-70% of those rental units have rent control (so 300,000+ SF residents have it), and there are also 30,000 people living in public housing and probably another 10,000-20,000 living in lovely SROs. That's a lot of not-rich people, who live in SF itself, that often get completely ignored when people are talking about SF. The city isn't just tech bros, tourists, and homeless people lol

If i remember right, that UN study was a nation-wide thing, but the places they looked at included SF (the Tenderloin), and the UN dude concluded that America is full of terrible living conditions that you would expect to see in the developing world. SF also has some of the most run-down public housing in the nation, according to HUD reports from the 1990s and 2000s. A lot of people don't expect that kind of poo poo in SF because of fancy houses and pretty bridges and mark zuckerberg or whatever.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah I can't find the article that claimed something insane like 30% of people making under 50 grand commute into the city but I mean. I don't mean to dismiss that people do in fact actually live in San Fran... but frankly that kind of just makes it worse. costa-hawkins ensures that it will eventually all become too old to be serviceable and get replaced

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Tomorrow is the end of mask mandates for outdoor activities at LA County schools. My kids are 100% on board with wearing their masks for as long as we ask them to, though I'm sure my youngest boy will leave it on his chin while running around with his friends on the playground. Cases today were around 2k for the County, I know I should relax a bit since everyone in our immediate family is vaccinated, but I just don't want to catch Covid.

And we are still getting notification letters of kids testing positive for Covid at our school. It just seems like masks-off right now is a bad idea.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
At this point I don't really give a poo poo about mask mandates either way honestly. As practiced (where there's little enforcement of wearing them, cloth masks satisfy the criteria, and plenty of absurd little rituals like wearing the mask to your table at a restaurant and then taking it off for hours) it's marginal costs, marginal benefits. It's not a great imposition, it's also unlikely that effective, so honestly I think anyone super passionate about mandates in their current form, in either direction, is just addicted to the COVID culture war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the ship sailed for doing a real mask mandate forever ago lol. This half rear end pretend bullshit both doesn't actually accomplish anything and is annoying. I'm tired of what is basically a purification ritual.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm gonna keep my mask on. A lot of people and businesses are still masking up, and I expect it to keep happening for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure that even once it becomes endemic, there will still be a significant number of people masking indoors. Probably helps with the pollen, I'm sure.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sb hermit posted:

I'm gonna keep my mask on. A lot of people and businesses are still masking up, and I expect it to keep happening for quite some time.

I'm pretty sure that even once it becomes endemic, there will still be a significant number of people masking indoors. Probably helps with the pollen, I'm sure.

My hopes aren't high, but the best case scenario at this point with masks is that we see a similar culture develop around wearing masks when you're sick/during peak flu season that built up in Asia in the wake of SARS.

If nothing else I'm definitely never getting on a plane again without masking up. Used to get sick as a dog almost every time I was on a plane: particularly when I'd fly to my parents' for Christmas, but the couple times I flew last year I kept a K95 on the whole way and was perfectly fine. I haven't even gotten so much as a cold since December 2019, turns out increased handwashing, surface sanitation, and masking is just good for public health in general irrespective of a pandemic.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Mask wearing absolutely works to reduce spread, there is a ton of data to support this. Masks absolutely should be required in supermarkets, hospitals, schools, airports and other workplaces. Think of the loving workers.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sydin posted:

My hopes aren't high, but the best case scenario at this point with masks is that we see a similar culture develop around wearing masks when you're sick/during peak flu season that built up in Asia in the wake of SARS.

If nothing else I'm definitely never getting on a plane again without masking up. Used to get sick as a dog almost every time I was on a plane: particularly when I'd fly to my parents' for Christmas, but the couple times I flew last year I kept a K95 on the whole way and was perfectly fine. I haven't even gotten so much as a cold since December 2019, turns out increased handwashing, surface sanitation, and masking is just good for public health in general irrespective of a pandemic.

droll posted:

Mask wearing absolutely works to reduce spread, there is a ton of data to support this. Masks absolutely should be required in supermarkets, hospitals, schools, airports and other workplaces. Think of the loving workers.

yeah, this is all the truth

if the workers are masking then I'm gonna mask too

(and I'll probably mask even if they aren't)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Mask up even when workers aren't and use it as an Agitation seed. "Does your boss let you wear masks? No? That's hosed up. Masks keep us safe, what an rear end in a top hat. What about your fellow workers?".

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even out here in red country they still almost stripped some business licenses over mask banning lol.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sydin posted:

I' somehow caught influenza (thought I had covid, test result came back pos for influenza instead) since the pandemic started, but have managed to avoid getting covid. I'm really good about using my K95 masks and influenza has been basically non-existent so I have no idea how I managed to catch a less-infectious and rarer disease . Still, been sick less than I used to be. My wife's a teacher and she used to constantly bring back colds that would hit me too and it's basically not happened since. Masking up should 100% continue.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

droll posted:

Think of the workers, the immunocompromised, the young children who can't get vaccinated yet, the vaccinated-but-vulnerable due to health conditions that render what would be a non-hospitalizing infection for healthy persons into a life-threatening event, the people who will contract even a legitimately "mild" case and still be permanently debilitated by long COVID...

Yeah. It's a long list. Wear your loving masks, and wear ones that actually do something: N95s, elastomeric respirators, something that actually seals to your face.

Even if you're resigned to contracting it - and honestly, that's not unreasonable at this point for a lot of folks - this is a disease you want to catch as few times as possible. Reinfections are happening as early as six weeks apart, and there's increasing evidence that it does some legitimately unnerving things to your immune system in addition to all the other well-documented effects on organs, the vascular system, and the brain. If you're resigned to COVID infections being a part of your life going forward, strive to have as few of them as possible, as far apart as possible, to minimize the opportunity for any given infection to do more lasting harm than is absolutely necessary. And that means good masks, regular (3-4 month cycle) boosters, and generally avoiding sharing air with people unless you absolutely have to.

Edit:

fermun posted:

I' somehow caught influenza (thought I had covid, test result came back pos for influenza instead) since the pandemic started, but have managed to avoid getting covid. I'm really good about using my K95 masks and influenza has been basically non-existent so I have no idea how I managed to catch a less-infectious and rarer disease . Still, been sick less than I used to be. My wife's a teacher and she used to constantly bring back colds that would hit me too and it's basically not happened since. Masking up should 100% continue.

Influenza is noticeably better at surviving on surfaces than SARS-CoV-2 (which still is pretty decent at it). You can absolutely catch the flu from fomite contamination, and in fact I can speak from experience in this: the flu that nearly killed me in college was almost certainly from fomite transmission, and it's the reason I'm going to diligently get my flu shots even after embracing Good Mask Life.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 16, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

just lol if you've removed your respirator outside your home since mid-to-late 2020

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cup Runneth Over posted:

just lol if you've removed your respirator outside your home since mid-to-late 2020

:hfive: respirator buddy with the extremely relevant avatar. I'd be happy with everyone wearing N95s, but that doesn't look like it's happening any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Well as soon as the mandate lifted my husband's school did exactly what we knew they would do. As of March 1st, only Faculty and Staff have to wear a mask, because of OSHA, you see.

But all the young, stupid, vulnerable children? The visiting parents? Nah, that's fine, unmask. The pandemic is over.

I feel this sense of impending doom.