Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

redreader posted:

Same. I suppose we'll find out on the day if we need to completely load a different version, or if it's just like an upgrade patch or something.

I still find their upgrade process confusing, but I've had separate installs for Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima. I don't know whether the first one wasn't ready for ps5 at launch or if I blindly missed it, but I definitely played through the ps4 version first and only found the ps5 version when I went back to replay it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I heard to get the ps5 version you have to download that separately

If you got the upgrade one (cheaper one), then you have to wait until release to download that version. That's what I was reading at least

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I heard to get the ps5 version you have to download that separately

If you got the upgrade one (cheaper one), then you have to wait until release to download that version. That's what I was reading at least

That's true, but, they changed the price for the ps5 version to also be 59 yesterday, so I think the people who bought it before that happened (I bought it 2 hours before that) should be able to preload the ps5 version, but last I checked we can't. They're probably just going to leave it like that until it gets released. Sucks for us!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PS4 and PS5 versions appear as two distinct downloads if you own the Digital Deluxe Edition, so I am almost certain you will have to reinstall the entire SKU on February 18th with the upgrade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redreader posted:

That's true, but, they changed the price for the ps5 version to also be 59 yesterday,

I am not seeing this on the store.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Anyone seen anything of reviews that describe how well it runs on a base PS4?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am not seeing this on the store.

You're too late.

Falukorv posted:

Anyone seen anything of reviews that describe how well it runs on a base PS4?

Rock solid 30fps

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah it looks super nice on PS4 as well. Better than the first one. Some magic has been done.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The PS4 and PS5 versions appear as two distinct downloads if you own the Digital Deluxe Edition, so I am almost certain you will have to reinstall the entire SKU on February 18th with the upgrade.

Yeah, pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
That’s great news! Does it make the fan work more or less as much as in hzd? Will clean it beforehand anyway but hope it is closer to hzd than rdr2 in fan noise.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

3 more days in work then I'm off till the 7th March with nothing to do but play this game this is good this is good.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Man I have an exam the 26th feb so won’t be getting it until then.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Just pre ordered the PS4 version on the strength of all these glowing reviews, and my love of the original. Hoping I can just download the PS5 version right off the bat when the game releases on Friday and Sony doesn't pull any shenanigans.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2022

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Here is the detailed technical breakdown of performance on PS4/PS4 PRo/PS5.

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-vs-ps4-pro-vs-ps4-performance-review

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Falukorv posted:

That’s great news! Does it make the fan work more or less as much as in hzd? Will clean it beforehand anyway but hope it is closer to hzd than rdr2 in fan noise.

My PS4 Pro isn't loud at all playing games. Yours probably needs the dust cleaned out and thermal paste re-applied

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Earlier PSPro models are just loud as hell, there’s often nothing that can be done about it.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Time to dust off again, but have never changed the paste before, i guess i will see how loud it is after dusting before taking that step. From video guides it is a tad bit more complicated than just accessing the fan and its surroindings.
Thanks for the link to the performance review! I can live with what was described, so im going to go ahead and play it on my ps4. Not in a hurry for a PS5, and beside its scarcity, in the short term HFW is really the only game i want it for, doesnt really justify the cost when the PS4 from what ive read seems good enough.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 16, 2022

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

zakharov posted:

Here is the detailed technical breakdown of performance on PS4/PS4 PRo/PS5.

https://www.ign.com/articles/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-vs-ps4-pro-vs-ps4-performance-review

I don’t know what sorcery Guerrilla used but that looks shockingly good on the base PS4 :stare:

I can’t wait for the Digital Foundry analysis. Glad us PS4 owners are not being forgotten about!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Trying to avoid previews and videos but are you still limited to just 4 weapons in the weapon wheel? It was fairly frustrating needing to go to the menu to swap in different weapons whenever you needed different element arrows or whatever

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Falukorv posted:

Time to dust off again, but have never changed the paste before, i guess i will see how loud it is after dusting before taking that step. From video guides it is a tad bit more complicated than just accessing the fan and its surroindings.
Thanks for the link to the performance review! I can live with what was described, so im going to go ahead and play it on my ps4. Not in a hurry for a PS5, and beside its scarcity, in the short term HFW is really the only game i want it for, doesnt really justify the cost when the PS4 from what ive read seems good enough.

If you do, it's not as difficult as it might look, more or less it's unscrewing some things, clean, apply a small dollop of paste, put everything back. Here's a guide on the regular fat PS4 and of course there's others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQLoBuZ-Zug

I've seen user's PS4s so loud the fan sounds like a jet engine before the whole machine shuts down because it's overheating (the higher temp the faster the fan = the louder the PS4) and afterwards it's quiet. The other benefit, is doing this will mean your PS4 will end up lasting longer.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

el oso posted:

Trying to avoid previews and videos but are you still limited to just 4 weapons in the weapon wheel? It was fairly frustrating needing to go to the menu to swap in different weapons whenever you needed different element arrows or whatever

The weapon wheel limit is now 6.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Baggot posted:

The weapon wheel limit is now 6.

:thatsrad: times infinity

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I listened to it without watching. You can sometimes hear combat sounds but he clips out most character dialogue or anything that would be considered a plot spoiler.

Thanks for this. I listened to it too and skipped the character/story section and the biggest spoiler I got was Machine races like Mario Kart, lol. drat his reviews are good. How he was able to do that long and thorough a review without resorting to spoilers is beyond me.

So yeah everyone, if you wanted to do Skill Up's review but were afraid of spoilers, just listen to it and skip the character/story part. It gives away nothing. And as always, his review, even as glowing as it is in this case, doesn't soft peddle the game's flaws, technical and otherwise. That's despite his playing with the Day 1 patch. Hopefully the aliens and wizards at Guerilla will take care of them in a reasonable amount of time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think his script doesn’t do the LOD shenanigans justice. There’s a bunch of stuff just floating in mid air where buildings should be. In another instance a tower appears out of thin air when he’s just a few meters away.

It’s obviously a bug though that I imagine Guerrilla will address quickly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I think his script doesn’t do the LOD shenanigans justice. There’s a bunch of stuff just floating in mid air where buildings should be. In another instance a tower appears out of thin air when he’s just a few meters away.

It’s obviously a bug though that I imagine Guerrilla will address quickly.

No other reviewers have said it's that bad though. He's the only one I've seen where entire buildings aren't loading. Perhaps he requires a can of compressed air.

DF did mention textures on buildings not loading but not the entire structure bring missing and they usually like to bang on about that sort of thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JBP posted:

No other reviewers have said it's that bad though. He's the only one I've seen where entire buildings aren't loading. Perhaps he requires a can of compressed air.

DF did mention textures on buildings not loading but not the entire structure bring missing and they usually like to bang on about that sort of thing.

It looked like it was a specific location. It might have been easy to overlook.

Also, it's understandable, but DF misses plenty of stuff.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don’t know what sorcery Guerrilla used but that looks shockingly good on the base PS4 :stare:

I can’t wait for the Digital Foundry analysis. Glad us PS4 owners are not being forgotten about!

I don't know what they said yet, but Kotaku was impressed:

Good News, Horizon Forbidden West Plays Fine And Still Looks Beautiful On Base PS4
https://kotaku.com/horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-ps4-graphics-comparison-revi-1848534392

"While a clear downgrade, the PS4 version of Horizon Forbidden West still looks great and plays well, easily making it one of the most gorgeous games on last gen."

Also, they mention something that another video brought my attention to. Digital Foundry is saying that they think this is the first game on PS5 where it's worth going down to 30fps for the eye candy. They actually recommend it. They say it's packed with detail that you don't want to lose.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Going back over that comparison by IGN, the PS4 Pro is like 95% as good as the PS5 version, the PS5 version having the obvious benefits of being native resolution (not blurry like the PS4 standard version, or slightly blurry like the PS4 Pro version) and potential to ramp it up to 60fps.

The PS5 version though seems like it has some weird water reflection bugs tho.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rinkles posted:

It looked like it was a specific location. It might have been easy to overlook.

Also, it's understandable, but DF misses plenty of stuff.

Oh yeah for sure. I was drawing the conclusion that nobody else has seen that kind of extreme problem with pop in so it's probably just a bug at that spot or something non-dire. What's skillup showed was very bad lol.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Whew. Finally beat Horizon Zero Dawn after years of on-again-off-again playing. gently caress that one Wiki for spoiling a plot point on a page about loving Geese. I just wanted to know where they spawned for a crafting upgrade :(

Honestly, I consider it to be very imperfect; there are a whole lot of rough edges everywhere. That said, there is a certain charisma the game has, as a product of a dev team trying something new and putting their Whole rear end into it. They shoot for the stars and while there are quite a few misses, you still end up in the clouds, in general. It feels like the game does get better the more you play, even if some of that clunkiness never really goes away (Something I am kind of expecting to still be there, for all the improvements there will be).

Anyway, gently caress Ted Faro.

A couple of questions:

1. Does anything important happen in the Frozen Wilds? I have it but I skipped it so I could at least beat the base game, and I am not sure if I feel much like shot gunning it at this point.

2. Putting this behind spoiler tags, as it sort of has to do with what happens in game: Did this game come out around the time where people were starting to get tired of Elon Musk and other tech bros (Yes, I know it has only been around 5 years but I am an old and time blends together)? Because everything to do with Ted Faro aged well.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 16, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Plotwise? No. Frozen Wilds is self-contained. There's some cool stuff in it, and Aloy learns a bit about the old world, and even meets an AI! A fairly simple one, but still. It introduces a some new characters, but I haven't seen any of them in the previews or anything.

It's fun for its own sake, but not essential. Also it's hard as gently caress, so if you're worried about Open World burnout you might want to skip it for now.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
frozen wilds is imo the best part of the original. the sidequests are universally better animated, acted, and written than the base game, and the new machines make combat encounters that'd probably become routine much more interesting. it's hard, but it feels really rewarding to master the new tactics it requires

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait, does Forbidden West come out at 12 AM EST tomorrow? I thought it was the next day.

I did remember thinking that the animation quality suddenly shot up when I found the breadcrumb quest for the Frozen Wilds at that one gate area.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I really liked the setting of Frozen Wilds a lot more than the base game. With the looming mountain on fire towering over everything. It takes place in Wyoming so there are a bunch of geysers and stuff. Really neat.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
But also brought to you by MONTANA RECREATIONS!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, does Forbidden West come out at 12 AM EST tomorrow? I thought it was the next day.

For most timezones the game will go live at 12am local time, so some folks in NZ will be playing it as early as tomorrow. Everyone living in the US gets it at 12am EST on the 18th, however.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JBP posted:

That happened to me as well, but it's on the list of poo poo Guerrilla said they were fixing for Day 1 so I didn't make a big deal out of it. But yes in the review version there were instances where only small parts of buildings would load initially and everything else would be see through, or maybe a cliff the building was supposed to be on didn't load and everyone's walking on sunshine instead, or some guy's upper body would be missing for a few seconds or something.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

el oso posted:

But also brought to you by MONTANA RECREATIONS!

I'm surprised that didn't catch on. Goddamn that was funny.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Unlucky7 posted:

Whew. Finally beat Horizon Zero Dawn after years of on-again-off-again playing. gently caress that one Wiki for spoiling a plot point on a page about loving Geese. I just wanted to know where they spawned for a crafting upgrade :(

Hah, really curious about this. What spoiler could have possibly been on the Goose page? I just looked up Goose on the two biggest Horizon wikis and nothing there I can see that's at all spoilery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Let's pretend I'm a huge idiot who doesn't buy many games. For this day 1 patch, if I've already downloaded the preload does that mean I'll have to wait for another giant file to download before I can play?