Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm always trying to set my youngest up as my heir, screw playing as some 40 y/o screwup who doesn't have enough time left to accumulate 5k piety nor other major decisions. Less times I have to deal with massaging partition, the better. The guy who suggested looking up special elective types was bang-on: you can just nominate your favorite grandkid, keep a few (strong) hooks on hand and rest assured that nothing leaves your grip without your explicit approval.

Elective is doubly good since Absolute Authority is a long, long way away for many playthroughs.

Still waiting for the bugs to settle before starting my next game, was simultaneously surprised and horrified to find that I had bought the "suckers" edition and own the Royal Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I just realized that Varangian Veterans are actually cheaper to maintain than most Armoured Footmen types, despite being obviously better than them. Who made that decision, god drat...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Is this normal or new to this patch? I'm currently playing as a vassal of Byzantium and the throne is switching hands on average once per three years. It's a bitch having to continually re-ask for a council position, but isn't a huge deal besides that.

Though, with Byzantium fighting an average of four wars at any given time, I'm having to watch the bottom right like a hawk to notice if any of my territory is being fought over.

A bit frustrating.

I haven't played with Royal Court or this new patch yet, so it was before.

PittTheElder posted:

I just realized that Varangian Veterans are actually cheaper to maintain than most Armoured Footmen types, despite being obviously better than them. Who made that decision, god drat...

A bunch of Swedes.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

anyone know why i have claims on someone, but when i am in the WarDec screen to pick a CB its completely blank!?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Ok so the 'strong hook on grant pardon' cultural pillar is even sillier then I thought. At this point I've become the Byzantine Empire and frequently have to deal with absolutely enormous vassal revolts which are a pain to deal with even with insane military strength. Except, I realized that I could just beat up a few armies with my huge killy cataphract piles to get to 30% warscore and then white peace. White peacing a faction gives imprisonment/title revocation reasons and is honestly probably worth doing even with just normal greek culture because everyone has big bonuses to turning themselves in. I then proceed to grant pardons to everyone, which gives them all +50 opinion forever and a strong hook which I can use to modify their contracts. After a few iterations of this, I now have every single vassal paying extortionate taxes to me, but they're still perfectly loyal because of the hooks. And every five years I can juice them with Demand Payment for like a thousand gold.

Before I took over there was actually one Emperor who managed to hold on for like fifty years, with no faction revolts and very high military strength. Of course then he died and then everything went to poo poo again, but I was pretty impressed with that guy. Dunno what exactly he did that made him so successful though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Popy posted:

anyone know why i have claims on someone, but when i am in the WarDec screen to pick a CB its completely blank!?

Are they weak claims? You can only press those against the incapable, kids and women

EDIT: actually, poo poo, that was a CK2 mechanic, not CK3. Nevermind

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How is everybody getting the massive amounts of Prestige needed to do the big cultural reforms? My Dauraan Empire just reformed to Feudal in ~1025 and I just got my Royal Court (which is boss). But it's hard to imagine how I'll get the like 5, 6, 7k Prestige for some of those super good cultural reforms down the line.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

How are u posted:

How is everybody getting the massive amounts of Prestige needed to do the big cultural reforms? My Dauraan Empire just reformed to Feudal in ~1025 and I just got my Royal Court (which is boss). But it's hard to imagine how I'll get the like 5, 6, 7k Prestige for some of those super good cultural reforms down the line.

if there's a culture with the tradition you want nearby its likely a lot cheaper to hybridize with them to grab it than it is to add it to your existing culture

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

How are u posted:

If you mouse over the Prestige costs, there are often negative modifiers that go away when you do certain things. For example, I wanted longbows as Anglosaxon and it was like 5k or something but if you have 1500 archers, it drops to 3k.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That moment when your failson heir murders his 8 year old brother then dies from his injuries from losing a war. At least I can be guardian to his oldest son and now my heir and try to unfuck him.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MikeC posted:

If you mouse over the Prestige costs, there are often negative modifiers that go away when you do certain things. For example, I wanted longbows as Anglosaxon and it was like 5k or something but if you have 1500 archers, it drops to 3k.

poo poo I didn't know that, I'm going to have to go check everything now. Thanks!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice, guys: turns out the play was to remove elective laws on all three of my main titles and use designate heir. Designating your heir doesn't work with election mechanics active, and the game then acknowledges your designated heir as the priority character to give High Partition's lion's share of territory to. At the very least I know now to prioritize Absolute Crown Authority when I can, and what to do with it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

That moment when your failson heir murders his 8 year old brother then dies from his injuries from losing a war. At least I can be guardian to his oldest son and now my heir and try to unfuck him.

Just about all my player heirs turn out to be serial killers. I guess I can get the cleaning house on rivals and fellow heirs but whenever I go hunting I run into them just massacring some random peasant in the woods because why not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys: turns out the play was to remove elective laws on all three of my main titles and use designate heir. Designating your heir doesn't work with election mechanics active, and the game then acknowledges your designated heir as the priority character to give High Partition's lion's share of territory to. At the very least I know now to prioritize Absolute Crown Authority when I can, and what to do with it.

Yeah I think there's been long standing issues about multiple elective top level titles too? Like I've not run into myself so I'm not sure of the details, and it's possible it's fixed now, but I remember people talking about it in the thread.

How are u posted:

Well it's hardly something you can trigger at will, but if you can end up on the defending end of a Great Holy War that's a real effective way. Fighting battles in allies' wars is also good for this.

But yeah the extreme prestige cost plus arbitrarily only being able to reform every 50 years feels kinda silly. I went Pastorialist to see what the extra bonus from Pastures even was, turns out I'm locked in now...

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Almost lost my Pandya/India game when the pope called a crusade on Jerusalem and then a couple of months later the Mongols called an invasion on my empire and invaded from the east while I had all my levies and man-at-arms fighting 150,000 crusaders in Jerusalem. I was only lucky that the AI was so stupid it declared war while their free levies were located really far away from my borders. I had enough time to fight off the crusaders and then move all my levies east to siege down the mongols, their doomstack literally showed up when I hit 100% warscore from sieges.

Lining up the popes welcoming committee:

making GBS threads my pants when the mongols invade:

Suck it Pope Sucktus:

My levies are melting away from lack of supplies in the mountains frantically sieging down anything to hit 100% warscore. You can see the mongol deathstack appear having walked for 3 years all the way from the north.

The Khan then decided to make me his rival so I challenged him to a fight which I won despite being an 80 year old lady due to the sicknasty artifacts I have equipped that gives me pretty much the highest prowess ever seen.

He later died from the wound, shattering the mongols once and for all:

The celebration afterwards was one for the history books. The smoke from the pile of burning bodies could be seen for hundreds of miles as the Hindus praised Shiva for their double victory:

I was really lucky to get the event that gives you war taxes as I was bleeding gold without it and I hadn't replaced the tradition that made me able to sail on large rivers enabling my fast re-deployment of my levies to the east once the pope was defeated. And the reason I didn't try to murder the Khan was because this was actually the second time he invaded and while I did try to murder him that time I won without doing it and decided to cancel the scheme to "give me a challenge in the future" so it was still on a cooldown when he invaded again. I guess I got what I wanted.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 16, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea the AI doesn't use rally points at all, which makes them very very bad at invading places, especially the Mongols.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PittTheElder posted:

Yea the AI doesn't use rally points at all, which makes them very very bad at invading places, especially the Mongols.

It's because they have special event troops that they can't/won't dismiss. The AI does use rally points, at least my experience is that they are pretty deadly with them if you try to raise your forces close to them hiring mercenaries to insta-kill your troops while they are gathering.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh actually that's true come to think of it, and they definitely use them to try and smack you down if you raid them with a smaller force than they have (most notably Romans in the Crimea). But still when you're fighting over a long border I think they just walk from the capital.

Or maybe they're waiting 10 months for everything to muster? Idk

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm currently doing a Roman Empire reconstitution. I've still got to conquer a couple of duchies like Antioch and Palestine but I'm well on my way. I figured my best bet (and probably the most role-play-ey) was to have my twin personal duchies as Roma and Byzantion. However, both of their duchy building slots are filled with walls. They give decent bonuses to holding taxes but they don't seem quite as powerful as, say, a fully upgraded jousting field or blacksmith (I'm Italian, eat pikes, motherfuckers). So am I better off keeping Latium and Thrace as my duchies, or holding other duchies and just holding Rome and Byz. as 'extra' counties?

My idiot heir got deposed by losing a succession war, leaving the Empire of Italia in the hands of his five-year-old daughter. 40 years later my Empress is an assassination machine who's reconquered all the peninsula, almost conquered Illyria for the 'unify Italy' decision, and is in line to re-inherit Tuscany, Lombardy, and Piedmonte. Helps that she married her cousin who owned half of Italy and promptly popped out 8 genius children.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

In strictly meta terms it's absolutely better to hold two duchy buildings and the discounts and MaA boosts they would give. However it is also true that, unlike any other duchy building, the Aurelian and Theodosian Walls buildings do not require you to hold the duchy titles in order to give you those sweet sweet tax bonuses, meaning there's no reason not to hold the cities and two other duchy capitals and duchy titles.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

In strictly meta terms it's absolutely better to hold two duchy buildings and the discounts and MaA boosts they would give.
I'd argue that once you get a stable realm, three (or more?) duchies are better, the opinion penalty is outweighed by the bonuses. Unless you're out of partition, then you might struggle during succession.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
My guy is a leper and a drunkard with one leg. Will not die. Annoying.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I went Pastorialist to see what the extra bonus from Pastures even was, turns out I'm locked in now...

By the way, what is it? I don't have access to the game files right now, or I'd just check.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I know that in the past, you used to gain dread by executing prisoners, so I would avoid large civil wars by mass executing my prisoners when a new king/emperor took power. It doesn't seem to work anymore. Was it nerfed? I also tried to torture prisoners to gain dread, but that didn't seem to give me dread either. Aside from personality traits/that one family legacy, how does one gain dread?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Try having an executioner and selecting the new option

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BigRoman posted:

I know that in the past, you used to gain dread by executing prisoners, so I would avoid large civil wars by mass executing my prisoners when a new king/emperor took power. It doesn't seem to work anymore. Was it nerfed? I also tried to torture prisoners to gain dread, but that didn't seem to give me dread either. Aside from personality traits/that one family legacy, how does one gain dread?

Random nobodies in your dungeon don't generate dread when you kill them now.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

BigRoman posted:

Yep they nerfed the Dread Larder.

Gotta kill/torture people that matter now. There's a few good Royal Court dread moves now. But it seems you gotta be more of a monster, sorry! Perhaps kidnap some big name nobles?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

binge crotching posted:

By the way, what is it? I don't have access to the game files right now, or I'd just check.

From my Ireland game with both Pastorialist and Wetlanders:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Court chaplains 3 and 4 decided that my missing eye made me "half a woman" and acted like it was some affliction from god.

Court chaplain 4 really should have seen the arm removal coming after I did the same to number 3.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Speaking of cool traditions: what are we all liking?

I enjoy the combo of Philosopher Culture and Warrior Priests. I tend to neglect martial trees and focus on learning anyway. This pair makes my learned family members and even priests very effective commanders and knights.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

I'd argue that once you get a stable realm, three (or more?) duchies are better, the opinion penalty is outweighed by the bonuses. Unless you're out of partition, then you might struggle during succession.

Agreed.

binge crotching posted:

At level 8 it's:
  • +4% holding levies
  • +4% holding taxes
  • -8% Light Cavalry Maintenance
  • +16 Defender Advantage

The gain is linear by the looks of it. The Defender Advantage is interesting (or at least it would be if they you could build them up quickly; I'm thinking about the Roman's inability to ever retake the Anatolian plateau once the Turks moved in, but since holdings start as very greenfield developments for some reason, the +1 or 2 Defender Advantage you'll have in the early game is in fact very boring), but overall it's pretty meh.

e: oh and a health bonus for leaders to help them live even longer

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BigRoman posted:

Only executing landed people give you dread now. The higher "level" they are (count, duke, king, emperor) the more dread executing them it generates.

Dorkopotamis posted:

I enjoy the combo of Philosopher Culture and Warrior Priests. I tend to neglect martial trees and focus on learning anyway. This pair makes my learned family members and even priests very effective commanders and knights.

As you mentioned Philosopher Culture (monthly learning lifestyle experience +20%) is really good coupled with the fact that the learning lifestyle is seriously powerful.
Legalistic is also very good as it makes Just more common and also buffs it with "opinion of just characters +10" for a total of +15 to your same culture vassals.
Loyal Subjects gives +10 opinion to liege.
Agrarian is very good if you have a lot of farmlands, it also makes the content trait more common which gives +20 opinion
Making a religion with accepted witches and then picking Medicinal Herbalists is also nice as you will get herbalist from the communion it allows you to do for an extra +5% learning lifestyle experience.

Mendicant Mystics is really hit and miss. Despite being one of the traditions that were showcased before the DLC release the wandering mystic event almost never fires. I've had 2 of them fire during ~330 years despite every single character of mine being a mystic themselves due to picking Esotericism for my religion.

But one problem with the cultures now is that when you have a large empire almost nobody will actually be of your culture because your vassals will make their own hybrid cultures constantly and nobody EVER changes the culture of their counties. If you land someone of your culture they will either convert to the local culture or form their own hybrid culture. And when they create their hybrid culture it will convert all of their counties to their new hybrid culture making your own culture even smaller.

My empire:

My cultures with my own culture being "Indian" only present in 2 counties, my capital one and Cairo which I had to convert manually to boost development to 40 to be able to build the university:

It's the same in Europe, just a mess of hybrid cultures everywhere.
At least it made it really easy to get the "True Tolerance" achievement as new hybrid cultures start with 100% acceptance.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 16, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

By The Sword: Unlimited kingdom level holy wars, that become available one devotion level earlier.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sheep posted:

Yep totally agree, absolute authority & heir designation is amazing.

House seniority tends to exacerbate faction issues in my experience since you're forever dealing with short reign duration penalties plus the malus from everyone having bad relations with your predecessor due to their own short reign, etc turtles all the way down. It's still, at worst, just "kinda challenging" to deal with and not game breaking or anything.

Anyways, I'm not saying that there aren't issues with factions but overall it's way better than it has ever been before in my opinion. In all the previous patches you could pretty safely just ignore factions, and at worst just beat them down once in a while. This is the first I've ever had to make alliances, use hooks to keep them from joining, etc., so even in its current "possibly not totally working as designed" state, I'd say it's still better than any previous patch level.

House seniority + AA + designate heir is the first way out of partition, I always go for that

House seniority without AA + designate heir, however, is hell

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

Castle Keepers is a very solid pick: stuff's more expensive but holding castles gives you prestige and renown per castle, along with some defender advantage. Since you want to be holding as many castles as possible anyway, this is basically a pick that works for everyone.

Haesteinn of Brittany is one of my favorite runs in this game and I like to stay Norse and Asatru for the duration, refusing to convert. This means I'm surrounded by Catholics that just love to declare holy war on me. Stalwart Defenders absolutely makes that run shine: apart from being able to defend better and to secure peace at 90% warscore instead of 100% for those clutch moments, the doubled prestige and gold gain from victory is fuckin' nuts; you can quite literally build your empire on mountains of heathen dead that are swarming your kingdom from Stalwart Defenders and the unique Norse legacy that gets you 5 gold per 100 kills. And that's before randoms and raiding...

On a sidenote: Battlefield Looters? It sucks, don't get it. 1 gold per 100 kills is not worth the prestige and time investment.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
With Scandinavian elective on duchies is the election winner guaranteed to get the capital county as long as I own it? I have an election for the Scandinavian Empire, Kingdom of Norway, Kingdom of Denmark & Duchy of Víkinn, rest is partition. Last succession my heir only got the empire capital county of Skane, and nothing in Víkinn. But I realized later I mixed up which county was the duchy capital, so it may have actually belonged to a vassal.

Now my current ruler is close to death and I'm in a similar situation, but I own all the counties in those duchies. But I have something like 20 children. Will my grand-child candidate end up with 2 counties this time, or only the empire capital?

Edit: Incidentally, is there some way to preview inheritance split?

sloppy portmanteau fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 16, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

sloppy portmanteau posted:

With Scandinavian elective on duchies is the election winner guaranteed to get the capital county as long as I own it? I have an election for the Scandinavian Empire, Kingdom of Norway, Kingdom of Denmark & Duchy of Víkinn, rest is partition. Last succession my heir only got the empire capital county of Skane, and nothing in Víkinn. But I realized later I mixed up which county was the duchy capital, so it may have actually belonged to a vassal.

Now my current ruler is close to death and I'm in a similar situation, but I own all the counties in those duchies. But I have something like 20 children. Will my grand-child candidate end up with 2 counties this time, or only the empire capital?

You should be able to see which child gets what if you click on "realm" (the top button in the right-hand bar) and then the "succession" tab. Beware that there are bugs with scandinavian elective if you have it for the empire and at least 1 kingdom so it might not work as you expect it to.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I am so hosed. I got too complacent playing my massive kill-them-all empire that I didn't realize playing as a woman that never dies would lead to a succession crisis. I am 98 years old and haven't had a child in 5 decades, I only have 3 heirs to pick from and they are all super old, their children in turn are just hosed up.

I first thought I could fix it by changing laws to elective but that won't make my heir inherit my counties, only the duchies themselves, ruining the massive income I need to keep my men-at-arms.

I might just wing it and hope that all the artifacts and traditions I have that give +relations are enough to keep the factions from forming. All my vassals are extremely powerful with completed tech-trees and massive men-at-arms armies and thousands of gold just ready to spam out mercs.

Best bet I live to 118 as that other guy and outlive all my kids so one of my grandchildren, or even great-grandchildren can inherit. All I know is that the next male I play will have 1 goal: make as many children as possible.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 16, 2022

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TjyvTompa posted:

I am so hosed. I got too complacent playing my massive kill-them-all empire that I didn't realize playing as a woman that never dies would lead to a succession crisis. I am 98 years old and haven't had a child in 5 decades, I only have 3 heirs to pick from and they are all super old, their children in turn are just hosed up.

I first thought I could fix it by changing laws to elective but that won't make my heir inherit my counties, only the duchies themselves, ruining the massive income I need to keep my men-at-arms.

I might just wing it and hope that all the artifacts and traditions I have that give +relations are enough to keep the factions from forming. All my vassals are extremely powerful with completed tech-trees and massive men-at-arms armies and thousands of gold just ready to spam out mercs.

Best bet I live to 118 as that other guy and outlive all my kids so one of my grandchildren, or even great-grandchildren can inherit. All I know is that the next male I play will have 1 goal: make as many children as possible.

POV: you are Queen Elizabeth II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Check the Succession Tab under Realm. That gives you a title by title breakdown of who's getting what.

I'm actually surprised at how many people don't seem to know about that...

TjyvTompa posted:

But one problem with the cultures now is that when you have a large empire almost nobody will actually be of your culture because your vassals will make their own hybrid cultures constantly and nobody EVER changes the culture of their counties. If you land someone of your culture they will either convert to the local culture or form their own hybrid culture. And when they create their hybrid culture it will convert all of their counties to their new hybrid culture making your own culture even smaller.

Yeah this part is kinda silly. Formed a hybrid between Oghuz and Greek with Suleyman for the cheevo, but even though all my vassals adopted the new culture the only actual province that flipped was Iznik ne Nicaea, meaning the culture has an Average Development of like 40 and just flies through Innovations. It's now been 200 years and exactly two more provinces have converted.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 16, 2022