Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Personally I actually really enjoy sailing around at random and seeing what new weirdness is on each island, but I understand it's not for everyone.

yea for sure. i think people are trying to meta too hard. once i got to 50 I just started sailing around randomly. Pretty fun.

mottbag fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mottbag posted:

Havn't had this much fun in an mmo since the 2004 launch of wow. The p2w stuff doesn't bother me that much, I think some people are overreacting a bit.

This is the least p2w korean multiplayer game I've seen in my entire life.

You can still buy gold with realmoney though, and use gold to buy enhancing mats off the marketboard, so you can theoretically credit-card-swipe all the way to the ilvl cap. It doesn't work until there are plenty of players actually getting to tier 2 and tier 3 content the normal way and selling their loot on the MB though, so while it happens on the KR server it probably won't be feasible on NA for a while.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

Does anyone know if this 3 hours maintenance poo poo is gonna be a regular thing, or if its just growing pains? If I log in after work tomorrow only to see a maintenance warning I think I'm just gonna find something else to play.

Aventine
Feb 15, 2022

I will bleed black and yellow till the death of all eve servers
So I assume the initial hype has died down.. Is this actually worth sinking a whole bunch of time into after all?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If your using a controller, use steam controller config to make your text advance button Turbo

If you're using a mouse or keyboard with macro buttons, assign repeating G to one of them. I assume there's a bunch of third party software that can accomplish this on any input device

So much more relaxing to just tap the button once and watch all the text fly by.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Barely put any time into the game yet due to work and other game distractions. Started as Sharpshooter and I'm like level 13 and already the Massive Indecision/Altitis is kicking in and I'm wondering if I'd rather have gone for Artilerist.

Such is life for me in MMOs. I should just keep trucking along with Sharpshooter since so low level is hardly enough to make a judgment call on a class.

That said I'm gonna be all on board for Arcanist once they make it to us because "what if we made Astrologian a DPS" is rad as hell give me the card mage.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Iakona posted:

Does anyone know if this 3 hours maintenance poo poo is gonna be a regular thing, or if its just growing pains? If I log in after work tomorrow only to see a maintenance warning I think I'm just gonna find something else to play.

As we're not psychics, we don't know for sure, but since the queue issues have already gone down, it's probably just growing pains.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Barely put any time into the game yet due to work and other game distractions. Started as Sharpshooter and I'm like level 13 and already the Massive Indecision/Altitis is kicking in and I'm wondering if I'd rather have gone for Artilerist.

Such is life for me in MMOs. I should just keep trucking along with Sharpshooter since so low level is hardly enough to make a judgment call on a class.

That said I'm gonna be all on board for Arcanist once they make it to us because "what if we made Astrologian a DPS" is rad as hell give me the card mage.

Do remember you get 2 free powerpasses after you finish Vern, meaning you get 3 50s for the price of one. There's nothing stopping you from pressing on as a Sharpshooter and boosting an artillerist.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Iakona posted:

If this was actually a planned regular thing they would have warned players about it more than 45 minutes in advance.
And they probably would have scheduled it outside of primetime.

Hellioning posted:

Do remember you get 2 free powerpasses after you finish Vern, meaning you get 3 50s for the price of one. There's nothing stopping you from pressing on as a Sharpshooter and boosting an artillerist.

And you can get infinite more boosts-to-50 from your stronghold knowledge transfer machine once you unlock it. It just costs gold and has an 8 hour wait.
So don't stress out about needing to save your powerpasses for later. They're basically just a 600-gold-off coupon.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 16, 2022

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Iakona posted:

Same. I want to give the game a good try but I'm 3/3 with my free evenings lining up with unscheduled maintenance.

Give us Oceanic servers if you're going to schedule every outage between 5pm and 10pm in Australia you ratbags :argh:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Iakona posted:

Servers have been randomly making GBS threads themselves since yesterday’s maintanence so I think they’re trying to fix that.

Which would indicate the latter.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hellioning posted:

As we're not psychics, we don't know for sure, but since the queue issues have already gone down, it's probably just growing pains.

Yeah, just gotta find the time to actually sit down with this game proper. Odds are once I figure poo poo out I'll be more keen on Sharpshooter as well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just got past the castle siege which was great, but after that the game throws so many new mechanics at you I'm completely overwhelmed, starting with the Stronghold stuff and including the stone hacking (?).

That stuff just flew so far over my head I have no idea what to do with these Stones of birth or whatever. Can I edit them? Can I somehow see that bonuses a stone has? ("Ether predator Node+4" tells me gently caress all)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Press P to open your character menu and click the engravings tab.
It will list a bunch of greyed-out passive skills that you don't yet have, each with 15 little lights/gems divided into 3 groups of 5.
Light 5 of them up and you get 1 level of that passive skill.
So if you got Ether Predator + 5 on your stone, or Ether Predator +4 on your stone and +1 on an earring or whatever, then you would activate level 1 of the Ether Predator engraving.

They're not editable, it's a pure rng grind mechanic to first hope and pray for a stone with the right engravings for your build and then hope and pray for the facet minigame to give you got scores.

For some reason the game gives you the tutorial right now but the stones that drop from now until you reach level 50 will all be useless dogshit capped at a max of +4 (when it takes 5 points to unlock a skill), so you basically don't need to care about them until after you reach Vern and unlock chaos dungeons which will drop higher-tier versions. Level 50+ chaos dungeons are also when you start finding accessories with engraving stats on them so you can actually get them from more than one equip slot and add up to +5 or +15 from multiple items.

That tutorial or one of the ones that unlocks at the same time should have also given you some engraving books. If you eat 20 of those you'll unlock a permanent equippable bonus thingy that goes in the bottom left of your p screen and gives +3 to one engraving. You have two slots and you can equip the same engraving-book twice if you like, meaning you'll reach +6 and activate level 1 of whatever passive it is.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Actually the very first pile of rocks the game gives can go up to +6 and have a hefty Vitality bonus, so you should probably try to get 5 of SOMETHING going on one of em. It doesn't need to be one of the meta skills yet, you're definitely going to be replacing these, so feel free to go for something that sounds fun.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

So the 20 books I got after the castle siege do I click all of them then I’ll be able to pick a skill? Or will it be random. I’m a berserker if it matter. I also got information overload from the stones, stronghold, and engravings they all dump on you lol.

Or should I save them?

Is this what it’s like gaming when you in your 30’s? Constantly confused and I get owned in fps games now :cloud:

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 16, 2022

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

dangling pointer posted:

So the 20 books I got after the castle siege do I click all of them then I’ll be able to pick a skill? Or will it be random. I’m a berserker if it matter. I also got information overload from the stones, stronghold, and engravings they all dump on you lol.

Or should I save them?

Is this what it’s like gaming when you in your 30’s? Constantly confused and I get owned in fps games now :cloud:

as a 36 year old gamer with two kids, yes, but also this game also has a shitload of stuff in it that's not explained super well tbh.

lots of guides about this stuff on youtube, some of them even by not totally annoying content creators but from what I can tell:

make exactly 1 stone of birth when you get the quest, don't invest in getting specific engravings on them - you want the 777 vitality on it.

and if someone who knows for sure could confirm or deny whether engravings are character or roster bound that'd be lovely
like if I pop these 20 books of ether predator on my sorc, will I be able to equip them on my bard when it hits 30 or whatever the level req is?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Engravings (what those books give) are unlocked on your roster just like adventurers log stuff, iirc.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I got bamboozled. The Bard class engravings are written like one is a little extra healing and one is a huge buff to your DPS song, but the DPS buff is personal only. Obviously I was going for the DPS buff to be the Enhancement Shaman dropping Windfury instead of one of the Chain Heal squad. But it's actually useless except for soloing. And books are really expensive.

RIP.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I think the class engraving books are my biggest issue with the game at this point. They're a huge power boost but acquiring all 20 as soon as you can is a little convoluted, and getting more if you made a mistake or boosted a class is a pain in the rear end. Feels bad doing my dailies knowing I could be doing 30% more damage or whatever.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

dangling pointer posted:

Or should I save them?

The short answer is you should probably save them. Dump the books in storage until you have 20 green and 20 blue books and then look up what your class commonly uses.

Longer answer: the books and the stones both apply to the same system, which is engravings - if you've played monster hunter at all, and know what decorations are for your gear in that game, you're like 85% of the way to understanding the system. There's three different equipment options to get engraving points, two of which get introduced immediately (nodes, from books, and stones, which the facet tutorial was about) and the third will be a long time from now.

A very important thing to understand is that they have breakpoints before they give you effects - you need 5/10/15 points in an engraving for a t1/t2/t3 effect. If you have 9 points, you're getting the same effect as if you only had 5. If you have 4 points, you have nothing at all, because 5 points is when the effect turns on. Note that green books will only give you 3 points in an effect so you'll use both nodes to get the t1 effect.

A super, super big pitfall for early players is to blow books or stones on whatever when you actually want them used for something super specific, because while there are lots of books you'll get through questing there aren't an infinite number and you can end up stuck and blowing money on more of them.

E: did an edit because I made a big error in describing the nodes as my brain pulled bad information instead of good information. Don't write things before coffee.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 16, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The best thing to do with engravings is once you get the 20 green class engraving books, figure out which endgame class engraving you want to use, and spend 20 books on that, and equip it in both your slots. That way you get to start playing with your class engraving right away.

Especially if you want to run madness berserker, being able to stay in berserk mode 100% of the time is a nice boost to how fast you can run through the rest of the levelling.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
where are you supposed to get those books if you spent them the wrong way?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I knew which of the two class engravings I wanted to try and so unlocked it with my 20 green books. This gives you 3 pips on the engraving and you can equip it twice, giving you 6. This unlocks level 1 for the engraving. You can do this well before 50, giving you a pretty significant power boost while leveling.

Jabor posted:

The best thing to do with engravings is once you get the 20 green class engraving books, figure out which endgame class engraving you want to use, and spend 20 books on that, and equip it in both your slots. That way you get to start playing with your class engraving right away.

Especially if you want to run madness berserker, being able to stay in berserk mode 100% of the time is a nice boost to how fast you can run through the rest of the levelling.

Yeah this!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

kliras posted:

where are you supposed to get those books if you spent them the wrong way?

Islands, random side quests, Shadowspire, certain vendors. Auction House is the last resort since they’re probably very overpriced for any of the in-demand books.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool yeah I'm pretty sure I hosed up the books thing then :sweatdrop:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I thought about it for a grand total of 30 seconds and decided I'm doing a Reflux sorceress and a Mayhem Zerker. Don't know what my third class will be yet.

Doomsday Sorc sounded too big cooldown-y and I don't know how I could not pick Mayhem for Zerker (constantly in fury mode at 25% healthcap but you take 60% less damage). I have no idea about any of this if anyone has an opinion to share.

--

I beelined through story mode and didn't do any side stuff though. I actually sailed back from munchkin land to get my pet when I found out that's how autoloot worked.

That was 20 hours ago...

Now I have full T1 set on both characters and it's time to get serious!

I'll probably follow this Island guide to get the ball rolling. I don't feel the need to "rush" but I would love to do the islands efficiently instead of getting the dreadful MMO feeling of wandering around aimlessly.

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/resources/road-to-rohendel

I'm on Una (boogie in Abysmal) and my buddy is on Regulus. I keep wondering when we will actually get to play together. If you're on the same server can you queue for matchmaking together? I know we can play cross-realm by making a private group but it seems like the matchmaker is the most popular tool for groups. If it's possible to matchmake together same server I might make an alt there.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Every guide: It takes around 20-30 hours or so for your first level 50 character.
Me, hitting level 50 now, at 60 hours in: Yes, but have you heard the good word of Mokoko Seeds? Also I haven't even started the mecha themed continent yet so I'm even farther from endgame than it appears.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Is mayhem zerker as glass cannon as it sounds? Or can you miss a few dodges and not get splatted?

Also thanks for the explanations, I watched a few YouTubes on engravings last night and for whatever reason absorbed none of the information from videos.

I have played monster Hunter and have an embarrassing amount of hours in POE so I’m not completely hopeless when it comes to learning convoluted systems I hope lol.

E: the stronghold stuff I set some upgrades that take awhile to craft and I’m going to ignore it till I hit 50 I think.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I just did that myself. I was starting to get a bit bored of how simple the main quest chain was, this whole scenario kicked rear end (beyond the PC getting chumped in a cutscene for the 200th time).

That setpiece kicked rear end, I was kind of getting bored with a lot of the game, hoping there's more like that in the later levelling.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Deki posted:

I just did that myself. I was starting to get a bit bored of how simple the main quest chain was, this whole scenario kicked rear end (beyond the PC getting chumped in a cutscene for the 200th time).

That setpiece kicked rear end, I was kind of getting bored with a lot of the game, hoping there's more like that in the later levelling.

After you get out of the starting continent you're actually allowed to be the main character, it's great.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm confused about the books and engravings... I'll ask here since the thread is on this topic.

During the tutorial quest, you get 20 books for a single engraving affecting those little clouds of resources that appear during combat... I think? I cut one stone to get at least 5 pips in one of the 2 bonus which I don't remember right now. I equipped that stone since getting 5 pips seems to unlock a Vitality bonus on it. I then equipped the cloud thing engraving twice so I have 6 pips now in that cloud generating thing.

I then went on to questing and I'm starting to get books where I can select ONE from a huge list of engravings it seems. This is what you guys are talking about and not that initial 20 green books you get right away, right? I already understand that I would need 20 of those and use it to select the same engraving to get 20 of the same engraving to activate it in my list (with 3 pips). I didn't use any of those books yet as it's useless before the first 20.

So I think I didn't mess anything up so far?

Also, I guess there is a book with a list of generic engravings and one other kind with your class specific engravings? The ones I'm starting to get now after unlocking that big city must be the generic ones, right?

I read a few guides yesterday and I think I understand how it works but I'm confused at which books you should and shouldn't use. Like a bunch of things in this game, you understand a part but it's badly explained/translated so even when you think you know something, you might be wrong.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a bit confused what these 20 books are? I think I did the engraving intro quest, I got some books for the drops of ether, then I think some other quests in town gave me boxes the let me choose books, but I think I only got 5 that let me pick from 2 class options?

Also not sure which I want as artillerist - spent 3 on firepower enhancement already.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dangling pointer posted:

Is mayhem zerker as glass cannon as it sounds? Or can you miss a few dodges and not get splatted?

Also thanks for the explanations, I watched a few YouTubes on engravings last night and for whatever reason absorbed none of the information from videos.

I have played monster Hunter and have an embarrassing amount of hours in POE so I’m not completely hopeless when it comes to learning convoluted systems I hope lol.

E: the stronghold stuff I set some upgrades that take awhile to craft and I’m going to ignore it till I hit 50 I think.

Stronghold stuff seems hard to really gently caress up in any real way so long as you pay attention to what currency you're spending (so you don't burn through your gold by accident), it's pretty much a slow burn mobile game bullshit system that takes a long-rear end time to get any real ROI beyond being a place to craft potions at.

Edit: In regards to the class books, the green ones seem to get tossed on you throughout the plot if you do all the sidequests and junk. I got both my main and my alt's greens just off poo poo that dropped off quests and world bosses and poo poo. I feel like you don't need to be THAT concerned until it comes to spending blue books. This is just imho as someone who is really slow rolling it though, if you want to rush to endgame it might be a tighter budget.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 16, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Deki posted:

The only problem with this set price is that the next 2 hours of gameplay is a tremendous slog while it inundates you with a bunch of new, boring mechanics. Left me with the thought of "why isn't the whole game just these set pieces, the rest of the questing is garbage."

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Do you get any class engravings for your alt when you power pass them or are they kinda stuck with nothing?

Also, do you have to go through their awakening quest?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Do you get any class engravings for your alt when you power pass them or are they kinda stuck with nothing?

Also, do you have to go through their awakening quest?

No engravings other than the ones you've gotten through your main and yes you do have to do their awakenings.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
A few things that aren't that intuitive (or weren't to me) but are quite important:

1. You get your blue quality 302 set from either Shushire or your first Chaos Dungeon clear, whichever you do first, and then you hone that to upgrade it. However, once you have progressed the story enough to run Abyssal Dungeons, you will get a 302 set of purple gear from your first Abyssal dungeon clear. Because I had already honed my blue gear higher than 302, I dismantled the purple set because it didn't appear to be an upgrade. DON'T DO THIS. You can transfer all the honing levels from your blue set to the purple set for some silver, at the honing NPC. The purple set has way stronger secondary stats, and also a very nice set bonus which will appreciably increase your damage. If you did dismantle the purple set, like I did, you can use the Chaos Orb things to craft a new purple set at an NPC (called abyssal crafter or something like that).

2. Some engravings are recommended by guides, but it seems to me like taking only level 1 in stuff like Grudge is massively not worth it (4% increased damage done for 20% increased damage taken.) Seems like those are only worth it if you can get level 3 in it, which isn't gonna happen until later gear levels. Try to go for engravings with no downsides at first, even if their offensive capability isn't as strong.

3. Check the quality of all the accessories that drop from Chaos Dungeons and Guardian raids. An accessory that looks at first glance to be exactly the same as what you have could be higher quality, and have better secondary stats.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

I'm a bit confused what these 20 books are? I think I did the engraving intro quest, I got some books for the drops of ether, then I think some other quests in town gave me boxes the let me choose books, but I think I only got 5 that let me pick from 2 class options?

Also not sure which I want as artillerist - spent 3 on firepower enhancement already.

You'll get two green chests full of x10 books per chest. You will want to look at the TWO engravings for each class and choose ONE engraving for the class of your choice, probably the one you're playing. These two engravings will be wildly different for your class and greatly change or enhance how your class plays. After you open the chests and you have x20 book, read the engraving you chose. You will do this 20 times, once for each book. Then, go to the engraving screen, I forgot where it is, and click on the class engraving tab. You will see that you have unclocked 3 pips for the engraving you chose. You can then slot this into the two bottom left slots on your character screen, giving you 6 pips and unlocking level 1 of the engraving.

You'll also get books for other engravings, like the ether you saw, and you'll get an ability stone that you can facet and etc etc etc. Eventually, from several sources, you can unlock 15 pips for an engraving, unlocking level 3. It's 5 pips per level.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 16, 2022

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I got a free awakening skill for both boosted characters. I didn't do the awakening quest at all on my first 50 though so I have no idea what's missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

acumen posted:

I got a free awakening skill for both boosted characters. I didn't do the awakening quest at all on my first 50 though so I have no idea what's missing.

The first awakening skill is basically "teleport to Trixion and the lady gives you the skill", so you didn't miss much.

The quest for your SECOND awakening skill is apparently significantly longer (e.g. 4 hours).