Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’m finally watching LOGH and holy poo poo what a show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

was thinking about zeta gundam in the shower and realized paptimus scirocco is essentially a D&D mod
hated autistic nerds? yeah, i can see it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

a cyberpunk goose posted:

What's so good about it? I watched like 10 episodes and while the 80s aesthetic is fun something like Crest of the Stars has much better action. Feels like schlubby but clever captain and pretty aristocratic antihero captain have both been done to death.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

LOGH doesn't really hit its full stride until you've watched enough of the show to really feel the weight of its historicity. That's asking a lot, I know - but everything builds upon itself for its entire massive runtime.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

thotsky posted:

What's so good about it? I watched like 10 episodes and while the 80s aesthetic is fun something like Crest of the Stars has much better action. Feels like schlubby but clever captain and pretty aristocratic antihero captain have both been done to death.

are you a loving moron? im going to kick your rear end

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

thotsky posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SubtitledAnime/status/1282073603576659969

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a highly competent pacifist stumbles upwards through the military ranks in an effort to not let the incompetent war thumping space NATO morons invite complete destruction and upheaval to their doorstep

a pissed off son of a noble and his best friend for life make a pact to get revenge on a totalitarian society obsessed with Renaissance and classical aesthetics that humiliated his sister and robbed her autonomy so she could be the woman de jour for the playboy emperor, together they climb by sheer competency and political navigation and make tentative allies along the way

meanwhile, a crypto fascist rises through the political sphere in space NATO and is seen to have direct ties to “patriotic knight corps”, ie: proud boy, regulated militia weirdos who all too gladly started singing the national anthem while getting ready to loving murder a woman with blunt weapons on the street for daring to say the war was stupid

playboy space Jeff bezos who has the Amazon planet, allies with reverse space Mormons to stoke both sides of the war while profiting hugely off of private loans, weapons deals, information brokering and special deals to both governments

space nato thumps for war because midterms are coming up and even the war shy agree it’s probably for the best to sacrifice literally millions of spave soldiers in a war they don’t really care about for good election numbers

time and time again the people who inhabit positions of power in bureaucracies are shown to value actual strategy and tough decision making less than their egos around the current moment, forcing both wunderkind protagonists to improvise and politik while gaining deeper and deeper trust from their immediate peers who rely on them as competent executors who will avoid imminent and pointless deaths above all else

while all of this is developing there’s lots of very well executed vignettes of every day life and logistical struggles, like the war effort depleting competent labor force from the general populations, causing severe infrastructure issues. lots of little every day people moments

I’m only on episode 17, there’s like 118 episodes, so much happens every episode, its pacing absolutely whips rear end compared to so many prestige shows nowadays where barely anything happens but god drat did we get to watch the actors chew on their lines and scenery for 30 minutes while 1 plot beat agonizingly crawls forward

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Feb 16, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it’s making me cognizant of modern media’s stylistic choices and just in-time-screen writing overriding interesting pacing. multiple times in LOGH I’ve seen the windup for a story beat and said “ah okay this is what the next 10-20 eps will be about, that’s big and complicated, it’ll take time to get there, get through it, and close it all up”… and it resolves in the very next episode and is teeing up the next thing already, and it does so in ways that still build and don’t feel rushed or stupid. it’s awesome

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

thotsky posted:

the action is absolutely the least interesting and effective part of LOGH’s storytelling chops, and focusing on that solely is maybe a sign the show isn’t for you

I’m now gate keeping LOGH from the riff raff

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The underwhelming space combat is LOGH's biggest flaw, really. The interpersonal stuff like the axe fights or the attack craft segments are pretty cool, but it's bad at conveying the grand scale or physicality of its space battles. Still, you have to cut it some slack for being a late 80s to mid 90s production - which for its time had incredible production value since it was mainly meant for home release.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I agree I think the many episodes gives LoGH the time to pace itself through four seasons and despite the monumental cast it mostly centers around a core cast and makes sure to remind the viewers of any new characters and their relation to the current plot.

Even though I've already watched the main series and the side stories, I think the series could have still squeezed in a season or two that's just side stories about the alliance and the empire.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Feels like it's kind of the point of story that the battles are kind of bland and boring and the most notable thing about the officers is how they treat their underlings while sitting around in a chair.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a cyberpunk goose posted:

one of the greatest shows of all time and you've done a great job summing it up. I'm so excited for you to watch it and it really does just get better and better. Yang wen-li and Lohengram have to be two of the best characters of all time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The underwhelming space combat is LOGH's biggest flaw, really.

if you ever played eve online, you'd know scifi battles are just napoleonic battles but with laser submarines instead of muskets and cannons, and by being exactly the way it is, LOGH captures it 100% perfectly lmfao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The only thing I remember about Crest of the Stars is it having a dub that was so bad I honestly thought it was one of those "joke" productions

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
C-SPAM > Leftist Anime: if you ever played eve online, you'd know

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The underwhelming space combat is LOGH's biggest flaw, really. The interpersonal stuff like the axe fights or the attack craft segments are pretty cool, but it's bad at conveying the grand scale or physicality of its space battles.

was going to yell at you because i love the battles, but okay, they do come across more like a melodramatic chess match than a titanic clash leaving millions of corpses in its wake

also i love the music

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Good soup! posted:

The only thing I remember about Crest of the Stars is it having a dub that was so bad I honestly thought it was one of those "joke" productions

It does a great job of the whole space ships are submarines thing, although there's also huge fleets of them. Sort of a Honor Harrington vibe. It's got the same Humans VS Empire of Snooty Space People thing going on that most space opera space anime do, but we follow a fish out of water human recruit on the space people side, which adds some novelty.

Never saw the dub.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

LOGH is pretty good about making it clear how loving worthless war is. Like, you have these massive space battles involving hundreds or thousands of giant battleships that must've each cost an insane fortune to produce, operated by hundreds of crew members, who get deleted in seconds once the guns start firing

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

thotsky posted:

even after sleeping on it I wanna swirlie you so bad. this post is laser targeted to piss me off. I’m going to print it out, tape it to a dart board and throw daggers at it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SA CSPAM Anime poster “thotsky” you will rue the day you made such careless posts about acclaimed space opera melodrama “Legend of Galactic Heroes”

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, it was fine. I just wanted to hear what you liked about it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I love LOGH but I can see how it would turn some people off. It's a slow burning, character-focused political drama set in a science fiction future. Not everyone is going to like that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

But it's also specifically for weirdos that would post about politics on an oldass web message board.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

did you know? they translated all ten of the original LoGH novels. go read 'em.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

why would I read a book if I can watch moving pictures with sound???

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

HerraS posted:

This feller is correct

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i like LOGH for the first 2/3rds but it lost me towards the end

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

HerraS posted:

i was more speaking to people who have already watched and enjoyed the show, like me, and like the idea of books.

this is not my usual bullshit of turning up my nose at non-original anime. the logh show is a fantastic adaptation! but it also has a great source.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HerraS posted:

Moving picture? With sound? Bah, a passing fad!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Popy posted:

i like LOGH for the first 2/3rds but it lost me towards the end

My interest significantly waned after the death of my favorite character. I wouldn't say it was a bad storytelling move or anything, it just turned out that character carried a lot of my engagement.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Eventually everyone has to come to terms with yang wen li being a lib

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mr. Lobe posted:

My interest significantly waned after the death of my favorite character. I wouldn't say it was a bad storytelling move or anything, it just turned out that character carried a lot of my engagement.

Assuming we're thinking of the same character Kircheis, I totally get that, but I also appreciated how their absence was so unfathomably important to how everything followed. By the time LOGH approaches the end you could make a solid argument that they were the most important person in the entire universe given how absolutely everything would've played out so differently if they were still around

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
LOGH off

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i say this every time, logh is great but it really needed a space stalin next to space kaiser and space president :v:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

i say this every time, logh is great but it really needed a space stalin next to space kaiser and space president :v:

That was really kind of the point though. LoGH is the history of bourgeois revolution in space, all the way down to Napoleonic France being ultimately defeated by an aristocratic coalition which, despite winning out in the end, is also permanently weakened by revolutionary change. If you factor in Marxism & the Bolsheviks then the historical parallels get a little too messy.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like whenever discussing LOGH or even Gundam the problem is these universe's are stuck in a repeating cycle of useless corrupt liberalism vs fascism because no one's ever heard of Karl Marx or invented class politics. So you get protagonists that know both of these systems don't work, but repeatedly trying to make them work because there's no alternative

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, Space Stalin would have been extremely out of place. Drunken grumpy Space Marx would fit though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

genericnick posted:

Yeah, Space Stalin would have been extremely out of place. Drunken grumpy Space Marx would fit though.

Yeah, the situation is closer to approaching a Space 1848 than a Space 1917

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

I feel like whenever discussing LOGH or even Gundam the problem is these universe's are stuck in a repeating cycle of useless corrupt liberalism vs fascism because no one's ever heard of Karl Marx or invented class politics. So you get protagonists that know both of these systems don't work, but repeatedly trying to make them work because there's no alternative

Hathaway's Flash is the only Gundam that comes close to engaging directly with class politics because the enemy is a system rather than a rival nationality. IBO has elements of class warfare, but it's also a story about failed revolution.