Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trivia posted:

The first stage was successfully serviced when I sent everything to Phuket (I guess all equip is sent there for servicing). They sent back my package with my second stage disconnected saying "no parts, don't bother." Obviously a ploy by them to have me buy a new second stage, but I cannot argue the thing is beat up.

I'll continue to look around a bit.

That sounds like they didn’t have a service kit on the shelf, and no estimate for when they would.

Thirding the recommend for the S600; I loving love mine, but you absolutely should be able to service your old reg. The hard parts are nearly indestructible, unless you frequently cross scuba with your industrial crushing equipment hobby.

Where the parts acquisition timeline vs budget vs cool-new-gear lines cross is another, separate factor. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Looking at that website it seems getting a service kit and sending it to Thailand would run roughly $50, and a new second stage from Europe may be as cheap as $100. At that point I'd probably settle with a new one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Trivia posted:

Looking at that website it seems getting a service kit and sending it to Thailand would run roughly $50, and a new second stage from Europe may be as cheap as $100. At that point I'd probably settle with a new one.

Why not both?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Because I'm a poor dive instructor that had to live off savings and trump bux for the last two years. One day, when people come back, I will dare to dream again.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Trivia posted:

Because I'm a poor dive instructor that had to live off savings and trump bux for the last two years. One day, when people come back, I will dare to dream again.

Understood. I was thinking the you could combine the shipping and safe a few bucks, and have the kit for your new one. But yeah, money being tight sucks.

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Trivia posted:

What second stage are you looking at for $100?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I believe it was a Mikron. I'm not entirely sure however; it DOES seem abnormally cheap for a single second stage.

Maybe it was actually used.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My wife has asked for a new scuba mask and snorkel for her birthday. She's a reasonably experienced diver; I'm not and know bugger all about it. I've tried doing a bit of research, but all the lists have different stuff on them so it's difficult to choose something. She doesn't want a full face mask, it needs to be useful for scuba diving as well as just snorkelling, and ideally it would come with a snorkel, though I'm obviously open to buying one separately to get the right thing.

Would anyone be able to give me some suggestions please? It's a birthday present and not particularly budget-limited. We're in the UK, if that makes any difference to anything.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 11, 2022

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I personally like masks with periphery windows, or extra large viewing windows.

Get a good mask and then a cheap snorkel if you must.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Trivia posted:

Get a good mask and then a cheap snorkel if you must.

Adding on to this: mask fit can be weird sometimes, what works/is comfy for one person doesn’t necessarily work for someone else. What I’m really saying is to be ready to exchange for something else if it doesn’t quite fit her face right.

I love my polarized masks and pocket snorkel, but I get headaches/sneeze when it gets too bright out. I also don’t like carrying a snorkel with me while diving, so I’ve got a quick-disconnect on it and the one I’ve got folds up for easy storage :)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Good advice and yeah I will be happy to exchange if not right.

Was hoping for some specific recommendations too if possible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I use the Seadive polarized masks, specifically the RayBlocker. It’s a low-volume mask, so it’s a little easier to clear than a normal-sized mask. It also comes with an anti-fog coating on it, which is good enough that I have legitimately never used defog on it. Lick my finger, wipe the inside, and I’m good to go. These are a bit more expensive than a normal mask, but it was worth it to me. I’ve had 2 for a few years now, wouldn’t swap them for anything.

My snorkel is an Oceanic pocket snorkel, but that’s less important. Don’t go for one of the fancy ones that have little valve-looking thing on top. These are meant to keep you from inhaling saltwater when a wave passes over you, but sometimes they can be a little too sensitive and close the snorkel when you’re just trying to breathe at all :v:

In practice, my Oceanic pocket snorkel does fine in the waves. Never had any issue with water coming down the tube, and it has a quick-disconnect for when you want to use the same mask for snorkeling/freediving or scuba diving.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I use Tusa masks, which I think are mainly sold in Japan. As for snorkel, I found a bright pink one with quick-release at 10 meters one day and now it's mine forever.

When fitting a mask pay special attention to your hairline at the forehead and side of head.

My girlfriend uses a Beuchat (French brand) that uses silicone. It's a much softer substance but prone to tearing if you're not careful. Much more comfortable though.

e: If she doesn't have one already, get her a nice rashguard to go with the mask and snorkel (get a longsleeve). Beats getting sunburned while using the new gift!

Trivia fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 11, 2022

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

My wife has asked for a new scuba mask and snorkel for her birthday. She's a reasonably experienced diver; I'm not and know bugger all about it. I've tried doing a bit of research, but all the lists have different stuff on them so it's difficult to choose something. She doesn't want a full face mask, it needs to be useful for scuba diving as well as just snorkelling, and ideally it would come with a snorkel, though I'm obviously open to buying one separately to get the right thing.

Would anyone be able to give me some suggestions please? It's a birthday present and not particularly budget-limited. We're in the UK, if that makes any difference to anything.

The 3 most import things to look for in a mask are fit, fit, and fit. Nothing about a clear vs. black skirt, double or single lens, or strap is going to matter if you're constantly struggling against leaks. Forget about the snorkel when thinking about masks and get them separately. Any mask that comes in a prepackaged kit is going to suck, but maybe your dive shop will knock some off if you buy them together.
If you take her current mask to a local dive shop they may be able to recommend a starting point but there is no substitute for trying on.

For snorkels these are awesome: https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/HKG/apnea/products/apnea-snorkel.aspx
No frills, folds up, no failure valves, comes in fun colors. Any snorkel with a one-way valve or attempt to block water from entering the tube is going to fail at some point in an annoying way.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’ve always shopped by fit. I dive with a mustache and full beard, so a soft skirt is required, and I really like to try things on in the store. I have a Halcyon H-View now, but I used to use an Atomic Aquatics that walked away after a boat dive. Loved that mask. :(

What I’m trying to say is either take her somewhere with a good selection, or keep the receipt. :v:

EDIT And seconding this:

SuitcasePimp posted:

For snorkels these are awesome: https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/HKG/apnea/products/apnea-snorkel.aspx
No frills, folds up, no failure valves, comes in fun colors. Any snorkel with a one-way valve or attempt to block water from entering the tube is going to fail at some point in an annoying way.

Don’t overcomplicate the snorkel.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 11, 2022

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I've got a couple of Cressi masks. Originally I bought one as a back up because it's pretty low volume and I wanted a pink one but I found it so comfortable I got another one so I had it as a back up as well.
F1 mask

But I'll also echo fit is the most critical element and most other stuff is very personal preference. If you're getting it as a surprise gift I'd suggest having something she can exchange.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I disagree on over complicating the snorkel if you actually plan to use it to snorkel. It might be worth it to buy two since they have different purposes. The QoL improvement of it blocking water is huge when you're snorkeling.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

asur posted:

I disagree on over complicating the snorkel if you actually plan to use it to snorkel. It might be worth it to buy two since they have different purposes. The QoL improvement of it blocking water is huge when you're snorkeling.

This is a fair point that I almost mentioned in my post, but I prefer my ScubaPro Apnea even for snorkeling. Clearing a snorkel has never been worth the giant valves and stuff for me. They just feel clunky.

:shrug:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I personally love the purge valve and the chances of them loving up is pretty low.

The one I found was no doubt used a hundred times as a rental, sits in my bag mostly unused, and still never has issues.

A collapsible one is a good idea though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

asur posted:

Same, and a lot of that has to do with the water conditions for where I'm diving / snorkeling. Having a large valved snorkel is really useful in choppy open ocean, but probably not necessary in calmer waters. Mine has always been very reliable, but having one that stows away for infrequent use would probably be nice.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks for the tips, all. I'm coming at this from a position of real ignorance. She's asked for these, but given me no guidance, other than not a full-face mask, and that only after I asked her!

I still feel better equipped than I do for buying her the sewing machine she also asked for, but for that one I've pretty much demanded her to specify. :v:

I take the point about fit, which makes perfect sense; sadly trying on is going to be tricky. I guess I'll buy from somewhere with a good return policy like Amazon, and get something that seems good to my untrained eye. I will try and sneakily find out how she feels about the snorkel valves as well.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
You could also look up any local dive shops and just go try some on. Diving is an expensive hobby, and buying online to save a few bucks instead of getting a good fit would be doing your wife a disservice. Especially since these masks can last a good 10-15+ years if you take care of them.

It may not be as romantic as opening the gift as a present, but it'll be better in the long run.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

A mask is about the most personal piece of gear there is, and the idea of someone buying me one that I never tried on doesn't make much sense. Getting a good fit like that is highly unlikely.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I conveyed these sentiments to her and she agreed. Don't really know why she asked me to just get one in the first place tbh. She's not a beginner or anything. I will choose something collaboratively with her, in any case.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
It's because she wants to dive with you!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Trivia posted:

It's because she wants to dive with you!

She has already said that for her 40th birthday next year that she wants to rope the kids and me into a diving trip. Not really my thing to be honest (I love the idea of witnessing the beauty of underwater nature but am concerned I could get pretty claustrophobic), but given it is her main wish for her 40th I think I'll have to!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

but am concerned I could get pretty claustrophobic)

This is pretty common, but from what I’ve seen it tends to be more of an issue in pool sessions*. Once you’re out into the open water with good visibility, it’s less of an issue (partly because it’s open water and therefore more…open :v:, partly because you’ll be :swoon: at all the pretty fishies swimming around :unsmith: )

*you’ll do some training in a pool before going to your actual dive training site. Idk how much you’ve looked into classes, but thought this would be worth mentioning.

e: I’ve barely been underwater since Covid started, but I’m at an aquarium a few days a week where the fish are constantly judging us.

“What are you looking at, mammal?”

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 16, 2022

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Some places won't do the training in a pool. Sometimes it's in a protected area, but still ocean or lake. Just a heads up.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is pretty common, but from what I’ve seen it tends to be more of an issue in pool sessions*. Once you’re out into the open water with good visibility, it’s less of an issue (partly because it’s open water and therefore more…open :v:, partly because you’ll be :swoon: at all the pretty fishies swimming around :unsmith: )

*you’ll do some training in a pool before going to your actual dive training site. Idk how much you’ve looked into classes, but thought this would be worth mentioning.

e: I’ve barely been underwater since Covid started, but I’m at an aquarium a few days a week where the fish are constantly judging us.

“What are you looking at, mammal?”

Are you in the dry or wet part of the aquarium?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Electoral Surgery posted:

Are you in the dry or wet part of the aquarium?

Both, -ish. Getting my physical redone so I can dive again. Doing education stuff until then :) I’m either telling dive stories about the various animals on exhibit, or actually diving. Not a bad gig.

That pic was from our bubble window into the big tank. Had a moray posing there the other day, too.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Can anyone recommend a nice full size dive bag? I have a trip coming up, and while I normally travel with a mesh duffel, it's wearing out and I'd like something with wheels if I can make it work.

Also, it's been a while since I posted pictures, so here's a bit of cold water diving evangelism:

Trivia californiana

California longbeak

China rockfish

Chestnut cowries

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Mares Cruise Roller is a huge bag, big enough to fit two kits. Has additional pockets.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice full size dive bag? I have a trip coming up, and while I normally travel with a mesh duffel, it's wearing out and I'd like something with wheels if I can make it work.

Also, it's been a while since I posted pictures, so here's a bit of cold water diving evangelism:

Some great photos!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My wife and I went snorkeling in Hawaii last month and she says it’s the best thing she’s ever done. I really enjoyed it as well but we live in Portland, Oregon so it would be cold water stuff here. I have always kind of wanted to go scuba diving though and I think if we are already going to need wetsuits, mask, and snorkel then I am clearing one of the big hurdles as far as being a fat guy trying to scuba dive with rented equipment. While she isn’t enthused about SCUBA because she is apprehensive about the awesome power of the ocean, she said she’d be willing to do it with me if I really wanted to.

Anyhow does anybody know of a dive shop with good selection and instructors in the Portland area? Literally none of them seem to have online stores so I can’t see their selection and frankly most of their web sites suck. Since I don’t really hang out with anyone who dives I don’t have anyone to ask about where to find a good instructor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

therobit posted:

My wife and I went snorkeling in Hawaii last month and she says it’s the best thing she’s ever done. I really enjoyed it as well but we live in Portland, Oregon so it would be cold water stuff here. I have always kind of wanted to go scuba diving though and I think if we are already going to need wetsuits, mask, and snorkel then I am clearing one of the big hurdles as far as being a fat guy trying to scuba dive with rented equipment. While she isn’t enthused about SCUBA because she is apprehensive about the awesome power of the ocean, she said she’d be willing to do it with me if I really wanted to.

Anyhow does anybody know of a dive shop with good selection and instructors in the Portland area? Literally none of them seem to have online stores so I can’t see their selection and frankly most of their web sites suck. Since I don’t really hang out with anyone who dives I don’t have anyone to ask about where to find a good instructor.

Find a "Discover Scuba" session in the area. It should be free or very inexpensive, and it'll let you check out a shop/instructor. I'm on the other coast, but I'm sure there's a decent shop around. Scuba shops tend to be very old-school, so expect crappy websites and limited info online in general. Due to online shopping, most shops have kinda limited stock. Around here, we've lost 75+% of the shops, so those that remain are pretty good.

You could also do a class in a better (dive-wise) location. Fly to Bonaire or Hawaii, take the class, and do your training dives in beautiful warm blue water instead of freezing brown water. You'll have better WAF as well.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If someone is hesitant about scuba, I would absolutely not take the training in cold water and it would be even worse if visibility is bad. It's potentially cheaper and doesn't use vacation time to train locally, but cold and bad conditions can definitely sour someone on the entire experience.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah, the thing is there’s around 8 or 9 dive shops in the Portland area not counting the far flung towns. That’s why I’m looking to get recommendations. If there were just a couple I could probably just visit each one and judge for myself.

Edit: my wife is already in love with Snorkeling after our first outing in Hawaii. I figured we would try cold water snorkeling first before diving.

therobit fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 5, 2022

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Hope down to the Caribbean and give it a go down there. If you guys hate it then there's always snorkeling (in warm water).

Cozumel is a good option. Lots to do other than diving as well.

Also, since you've said you're already interested in a course, there IS an option to do a Discover Scuba upgrade to Open Water license.

It essentially turns your crash-course Discover Scuba (DSD) dive into the first dive of your Open Water course. It requires doing an extra skill under water, so I'd mention it to the dive shop beforehand. If things go well and you want your license you can potentially do the course in two days instead of three.

Keep in mind however that the course itself requires a lot of study; hours, in fact. Old school shops sit you down to watch videos and take paper tests. New school will make you do eLearning on your tablet or phone.

Comedy option is to fly to Thailand and do the course with me!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Trivia posted:

Comedy option is to fly to Thailand and do the course with me!

Where in Thailand are you? Expat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

therobit posted:

So I did all my dive training at Eugene Skin Divers Supply and found them to be absolutely first class. They have relationships with all the major dive centers in the area (while they mostly train in Eugene and Florence, they take divers all over the PNW), and are very experienced, so if I were you I’d pick up the phone on Monday and just ask them for a Portland-area recommendation.

http://www.eugeneskindivers.com/

Beyond that, I’d just suggest starting by looking at the PADI Five Star centers in the area, particularly Pacific Watersports in Beaverton and Under Water Works in Tigard.

https://locator.padi.com/search?lang=en&location=oregon

Hawaiian snorkeling is indeed wonderful, and Oregon’s colder, darker, and more technical lake and coastal diving is going to be a different experience. But I have always loved doing it, and I think there’s still lots to see and enjoy. I have had such fun seeing the transparent water and petrified forests of Clear Lake, viewing octopuses and other fascinating sea life along the shores of Florence and Newport, night diving the deep waters at Mike’s Beach Resort in the Hood Canal, and exploring the wreck-strewn dive site of the Edmunds Underwater Park on the Canadian border.