Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I really enjoyed in TCW at the end of the Maul/Ahsoka duel when she just catches and holds him suspended in the air until the gunships roll up and cable him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

seaborgium posted:

Or do what Luke did to one of the Dark Troopers and just crush him. They could, they just don't for the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3ocZu4cZo&t=229s

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mandrel posted:

I really enjoyed in TCW at the end of the Maul/Ahsoka duel when she just catches and holds him suspended in the air until the gunships roll up and cable him

Maul was so full of poo poo in the past that the literal one time he’s telling the truth, nobody cares.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I don't think I've ever seen an episode of a show with so uneven CGi usage as last ep of Boba. Some scenes looked like absolute C-tier fanfilm garbage, others were genuinely incredible. A lot of the rancorbowl in particular.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lmao Jedi are loving psycho berserkers goddamn

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sash! posted:

The Force is like a transporter in Star Trek. If you actually had characters use it like it clearly can, things get weird fast.

Like why even fight Grievous when you could just rip his arms off? A team of Jedi working together could literally dismantle him.

I'm not convinced that every rank-and-file Jedi is capable of using that kind of power. Who have we seen do it besides Luke, Anakin, and apparently Mace Windu?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

mdemone posted:

I'm not convinced that every rank-and-file Jedi is capable of using that kind of power. Who have we seen do it besides Luke, Anakin, and apparently Mace Windu?

Kenobi did it on some droids in the Clone Wars. But I agree it doesn't seem like everyone can do it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you can readily throw a person against the wall, which seems like a thing in everyone's skill set, then you should be able to make one Grievous arm bend the wrong way until the screw holding it on breaks.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Sash! posted:

The Force is like a transporter in Star Trek. If you actually had characters use it like it clearly can, things get weird fast.

Like why even fight Grievous when you could just rip his arms off? A team of Jedi working together could literally dismantle him.

They at least usually attempt to give some explanation in Star Trek when a normally used technology isn’t used for story purposes. Whereas in TCW, one scene Anakin is lifting up multi-ton boulders and the next he lost his lightsaber so he can’t fight a couple of mook bounty hunters and it’s just treated as if he never had those powers.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

maybe anakin doesnt want to force crush mooks

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So force crush bad but force push to their death good?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Thundercracker posted:

So force crush bad but force push to their death good?

Crush is a direct action, push is just letting gravity and momentum take over and do their thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Force lightning would probably have a lot of really useful nonviolent applications and the Jedi are fools for shunning it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Looks like the battery's dead. There's no way we're leaving this place without a fight. Wait, where is she going?"
[theme that plays when someone does one of the fancier Force tricks like lifting a ship out of a swamp]

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 16, 2022

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

in fairness I'm not sure whether force lightning is literally actually electricity or if it just looks like that

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Mandrel posted:

in fairness I'm not sure whether force lightning is literally actually electricity or if it just looks like that

Is it called lightning, canonically? Has a character ever described it?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Maybe not anymore, but definitely in Legends stuff it was.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Ralph Hurley posted:

I think spice isn’t drugs it’s literally food seasoning that is illegal for some reason

The British do run the galaxy for the most part

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

galenanorth posted:

"Looks like the battery's dead. There's no way we're leaving this place without a fight. Wait, where is she going?"
[theme that plays when someone does one of the fancier Force tricks like lifting a ship out of a swamp]

That theme used to be "Yoda's theme" but now it just became "Lift the heavy thing theme"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Okay this is super loving cool

https://twitter.com/WorldofMrG/status/1493455114723418115?s=20&t=EuYjRSllcaOhsO0o1MqT7g
https://twitter.com/WorldofMrG/status/1493644948360466432?s=20&t=EuYjRSllcaOhsO0o1MqT7g
https://twitter.com/WorldofMrG/status/1493792735093919748?s=20&t=EuYjRSllcaOhsO0o1MqT7g

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Inquisitors can helicopter around with their lightsabers?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brawnfire posted:

Inquisitors can helicopter around with their lightsabers?

That poo poo never made any sense to me, so I've heard-canoned it to them force pushing up on their blades while holding onto them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Which also doesn't make sense, but, well...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just caught the trailer for the upcoming Old Republic game and it looks like it's focusing on the consequences of the Jedi tradition of stealing kids.

And, what happens to the ones they don't find worthy.

tl;dr it's slavery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2j-fpQgGQM

Of course, given that the game is set 25,000 years ago, we can assume nothing really happens to stop the practice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
3700 years ago, more like. After several very stupid MMO conflict escalations including a super duper Sith empire beating up the regular Sith empire.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know it's not canon anymore but I just can't get over the fact that even going back millennia, most of society is identical to modern day 'Wars. You still have the Jedi controlled Republic and the Sith controlled Empire. There's still a master and an apprentice. The Jedi are making the same mistakes. The droids are basically the same. The Hutts have a crime empire. Tatooine has the exact same issues with poverty, slavery and sand people. It's bonkers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as I like the first two KOTOR games they're really the ones responsible for everything in the old republic being the same as the modern day star wars.

The old Tales of the Jedi stuff was weird as poo poo and I loved how out there it got.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

stev posted:

I just can't get over the fact that even going back millennia, most of society is identical to modern day 'Wars.

I have bad news for you about the real world.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

stev posted:

It's bonkers.

It's boring and bereft of creativity, not bonkers.

feedmyleg posted:

Nah you can have similar themes of war and power and greed that obviously run throughout history but they should manifest in interesting and myriad ways, as they have in world history. Think of the litany of different empires with different theologies and practices that have at various times been the preeminent global powers. There's a lot more variation there than just jedi republic + sith, forever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

At least the oppressed classes have Netflix and microwaves now. In Star Wars they just have all the same poo poo for thousands of years.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah I love TOR but like basically every Star Wars game other than KOTOR 2 it doesn't really have anything interesting to say about Star Wars, it's just fun to click around doing Star Wars poo poo. also having started that expansion unless it's going to be explored later it doesn't really deal with any of that poo poo.

one thing TOR does that's not intentionally innovative, more just very funny, is have the main Jedi Knight romance be your own Padawan. and since its still explicitly against the rules to have relationships with anybody, much less your own loving students, you both agree your relationship must be kept a secret.

theres some actually interesting writing that could be done there, but because it's just a cheesy MMO power fantasy with very little thought put into it, there's no repercussions or examination of this, and the rest of the story just continues to be very straightforward "You are the greatest, most heroic Jedi who has ever lived, even the Grand Master respects you and holds you up as the paragon of our Order." but meanwhile you're going back to the ship and sending the rest of the crew out on missions so you and your padawan can presumably bang it out on the holoterminal or whatever. the game just plays Across the Stars while its letting your shining white knight be like a intergalactic Larry Nassar. its so tone deaf it rocks

KOTOR 2 is great though. maybe I should start another replay of that actually come to think of it

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 16, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nah you can have similar themes of war and power and greed that obviously run throughout history but they should manifest in interesting and myriad ways, as they have in world history. Think of the litany of different empires with different theologies and practices that have at various times been the preeminent global powers. There's a lot more variation there than just jedi republic + sith, forever

stev posted:

At least the oppressed classes have Netflix and microwaves now. In Star Wars they just have all the same poo poo for thousands of years.

I mean, I get the complaint that it's too samey and you'd like some different flavors of Star Wars, that's totally legit. But in terms of how the politics of that universe work, I don't think it's far off from the real world in terms of the amount and type of change. The biggest differences between life now and 2000 years ago are that half the world has air conditioning and the majority of the planet carries rocks in our pockets that let us yell at each other more easily. Society is largely the same, we just have new words for things now.

That being said, yeah it's super dumb how that villain just looks exactly like Darth Vader. But showing that the Jedi have been lovely hypocrites for thousands of years and will never change is Good, Actually. They seem to really be driving that point home with Luke just repeating the same mistakes over and over, and then Rey calling herself a Jedi. It's a surprisingly coherent theme compared to what I expected out of the Disney era.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think it's a huge stretch to say that writing the Jedi similarly over eons of Star Wars history is to do with some overarching grand plan to represent their eternal hubris, rather than just being lazy/unadventurous/intentionally stymied writing that is unafraid or unable to move beyond the status quo.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

pik_d posted:

That poo poo never made any sense to me, so I've heard-canoned it to them force pushing up on their blades while holding onto them.

There's also micro-repulsorlifts that give some lift which is then augmented by them using the Force to boost themselves

The only time it's used well is during the Second and Ninth Sister fights when they use them to quickly dodge and attack across horizontal distances

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All I hope is that every piece of live-action media ignores it. I do not want to see anyone trying to pull that off with realistic physics.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think it's a huge stretch to say that writing the Jedi similarly over eons of Star Wars history is to do with some overarching grand plan to represent their eternal hubris, rather than just being lazy/unadventurous/intentionally stymied writing that is unafraid or unable to move beyond the status quo.

Sure, but it still provides an interesting read, regardless of why and how it got to this point. Death of the author and all.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

If they do revisit ancient Star Wars again in-canon. it'd be very cool to actually do water planet Tatooine and the ancient Tuskens. Maybe have the origin of the Krayt Dragon be an enormous sea monster that went on to adapt into basically just treating sand as water. but we'd see the whole drat thing swimming around. maybe the ancient Tuskens lived in symbiosis with them and rode them across the seas. see the earliest days of foreign capital moving in to begin exploiting the planet for its resources

go back to when lightsabers were maybe still solid swords with like, energy fields that ignited around them. explore earlier cultures that used to exist around the Force before the larger dogmatic institutions of Sith and Jedi either converted them or stomped them out.

have interplanetary travel be like, still a big deal, and not universally accessible. keep it to just a few planets but really dig into them. ancient Coruscant that's already a capital city world but does still have some agrarian regions who are being priced out, bought off, or forced out to make room for another loving space high rise.

I actually have never minded the revisiting the same planets over and over in Star Wars thing. yeah it's a big galaxy but we've only found one thats livable in ours, maybe the distribution is similar and there just aren't that many habitable planets. and anyway, they're loving planets. the majority of our stories are set on Earth. if you're building this rich universe you should be able to tell a lot of different stories on one loving planet, the problem is when you dont and just do the same stories. you can hammer in the same themes while hitting them from new angles and visually distinct settings we haven't seen before while still checking the Tatooine or Coruscant boxes.

i dunno, like to me what Star Wars is is a pastiche of homages to other poo poo viewed through the lens of this distinct universe, it's sort of always been fundamentally derivative. but if anything that should free you up to do more creative Star Wars interpretations of poo poo, not less, and gently caress if people don't vibe with it.

more energy that gave us cyberpunk 2077 London mod teens on space mopeds and techno rapper ripperdoc, that's fresh stuff, give me more of that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I want to see the lightsabers with the tethered power-packs like I've read about on wookiepedia while stoned

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Formerly (and I don't know if it was fan-made or something from the EU), the popular explanation for why technology is essentially the same from the Old Republic to the prequels to the OT is that technology in that galaxy has essentially advanced to the point where it's "stagnated." Any improvements to be made are maybe adding a couple torpedoes to a ship's payload, or making it go .01 faster past lightspeed.

Still seems like we'd see a lot more differences over thousands of years since we get new models of A-Wings and X-Wings within a matter of years between the OT and ST but :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The old EU expanded a lot on ships. There was even stuff like Industrial Automaton making a new astromech as a companion to their latest New Republic fighter, the E-Wing, and having early production issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hazo posted:

Formerly (and I don't know if it was fan-made or something from the EU), the popular explanation for why technology is essentially the same from the Old Republic to the prequels to the OT is that technology in that galaxy has essentially advanced to the point where it's "stagnated." Any improvements to be made are maybe adding a couple torpedoes to a ship's payload, or making it go .01 faster past lightspeed.

Still seems like we'd see a lot more differences over thousands of years since we get new models of A-Wings and X-Wings within a matter of years between the OT and ST but :shrug:

I posted about this upthread (or possibly in the other TV Star Wars thread). I think the Jedi enforced stability and the status quo. Technological advancement on a large scale can be destabilizing and requiring large changes in societies. Ditto religion/philosophy/art/etc. Figure if somebody had a big idea for teleportation, nanotech replicators, the end of scarcity and was making real progress in implementing it, the Jedi with their precognition/telepathy would track them down and "solve" this obvious "threat to peace."