Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
drat, missed the last Altus sale back in December. Really hope they put up their catalog before they close the eshop.

Need to get Radiant Historia and SMT: Strange Journey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SL the Pyro posted:

Y'all hear those chains? That's the sound of hackers and pirates the world over weighing anchor.

The better way to do it would be "You know what? The 3DS eShop catalogue's now a part of the NSO subscription. Pay in monthly, download whatever the gently caress you want, we don't care about it anymore".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The better way to do it would be "You know what? The 3DS eShop catalogue's now a part of the NSO subscription. Pay in monthly, download whatever the gently caress you want, we don't care about it anymore".

Why would they do that when they can just charge an extra $30 for awful N64 emulation and call it a premium service?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you want to buy stuff on the 3DS eShop, get on that quick because as it turns out, they're axeing payment methods much earlier.

https://twitter.com/GC1_5/status/1493756283857649665?t=qRuIqZek5MHOFVzf6n0n6w&s=19

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well it went over so well with sony!!

very clever to do this after killing gary bowser

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thank god for :filez: once again I guess

I feel like kind of an rear end in a top hat but at this point I'm hoarding xDS hardware, I've got 2 2DSXL's and an original 3DSXL. Now I just need to luck out an dtrack down an N3DSXL

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Araxxor posted:

If you want to buy stuff on the 3DS eShop, get on that quick because as it turns out, they're axeing payment methods much earlier.

https://twitter.com/GC1_5/status/1493756283857649665?t=qRuIqZek5MHOFVzf6n0n6w&s=19

is there even like a legitimate business purpose behind estore shutdowns or is it just like a nice spiteful poo poo on their customers at this point?

i don't get why a company like Nintendo or Sony even needs to shut down access to these online stores. isn't it like... pretty cheap to just leave them up for people who might want to go back and play old games in the future? esp considering nintendo sells like a portable raspberry pi as their main console, don't they make nice enough profits where this would just be a barely noticeable write-off?

doesn't locking down entire swathes of your library to the booming price gouging shithead market online and pirates give kind of a bad look? idk, i felt like when digital games as a thing started this was like the main concern behind spending a bunch of money on these services.

maybe i'm just salty because i didn't buy copies of a bunch of ds games i wanted before the Rona Price Surge made them all $300 & this is just gonna cause 3ds game prices to get even more obnoxious

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Running an online store does have a lot of upkeep costs and needing to take care of any security issues, changing legal requirements across countries and what have you. Its not something where you go can just go, 'eh, it runs itself' and not worry about it. There is a point where the business cost is too high for whatever perceived value comes out of an old store if you're Nintendo/Sony/whoever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shiroc posted:

Running an online store does have a lot of upkeep costs and needing to take care of any security issues, changing legal requirements across countries and what have you. Its not something where you go can just go, 'eh, it runs itself' and not worry about it. There is a point where the business cost is too high for whatever perceived value comes out of an old store if you're Nintendo/Sony/whoever.

I guess that has to be it since I doubt they’d pull the plug if it was making them money still. Hopefully they consider pushing it back a bit though like Sony did with the PS3 store.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know it's been done before, but could we get a short-list of things to have for this console?

All sorts of genres, I know it'll be a long list in actuality but it'd help to see everything consolidated in one place, maybe even including must-haves on the Virtual Console List. The OP lists about a half a dozen games so...

I know I'll be getting Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds. I've played both, but I'd like to have both.

I still never tried Wooly World and it's a consideration. I could get Kid Icarus Uprising, but I've heard it's hard on the hands. DKC: Returns I never played but I really liked Tropical Freeze...

I'll also probably get Luigi's Mansion 1+2.

I have Snakeeater, Bravely Default 1, Robobot, and all the Pushmo's as well as most of good SNES platformers (which are now also on Switch). I don't plan on getting everything but I wouldn't want to miss something anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wooly World is better on Wii U but it’s a good port on 3DS if you don’t have one.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wooly World is better on Wii U but it’s a good port on 3DS if you don’t have one.

Yeah that's pretty much my situation. I'm hesitant because I got Epic Yarn and it's been a drag to get through. Just feels very uninspired and ridiculously simple. It coasts on its aesthetic hard. It's a good look, but not enough to carry the game.

So I'm hoping Wooly World is actually fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Woolly World is definitely much more of a challenge if you’re not playing on the baby mode.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pocket Card Jockey

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dude, don't talk about your pocket card jockey in the thread, we're a nice wholesome Nintendo-loving community here. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Woolly World is definitely much more of a challenge if you’re not playing on the baby mode.

Woolly World is relatively easy if you just want to finish the levels. If you're actively trying for all the collectables, then the difficulty starts spiking dramatically.

And the special levels are just unashamedly mean-spirited in their own innate difficulty.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Dude, don't talk about your pocket card jockey in the thread, we're a nice wholesome Nintendo-loving community here. :v:

Sorry I can't comply :catte:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This is good information. I’d already planned to take my Wii-U out of storage and hook it back up to have along with my Switch, since I’d purchased some older Zelda games on it and want to keep those without paying a membership.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is another underrated 3DS gem

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
3DS DKC Returns is pretty fun, I bought it twice between my two times owning a 3DS. You should use the updated difficulty mode if you play it. The original mode is brutally hard and the updated one is the basis for Tropical Freeze's base difficulty.

I don't know the general consensus but I liked 3DS Starfox 64.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know it's been done before, but could we get a short-list of things to have for this console?

Sega Ages 3D games. All of them. Even the ones you didn’t originally like.

Hell I’d also throw in all of the Nintendo 3D Classics. Buy Urban Champion ffs.

Those are things you might literally never see again.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All sorts of genres, I know it'll be a long list in actuality but it'd help to see everything consolidated in one place, maybe even including must-haves on the Virtual Console List. The OP lists about a half a dozen games so...

I know I'll be getting Ocarina of Time and Link Between Worlds. I've played both, but I'd like to have both.

I still never tried Wooly World and it's a consideration. I could get Kid Icarus Uprising, but I've heard it's hard on the hands. DKC: Returns I never played but I really liked Tropical Freeze...

I'll also probably get Luigi's Mansion 1+2.

I have Snakeeater, Bravely Default 1, Robobot, and all the Pushmo's as well as most of good SNES platformers (which are now also on Switch). I don't plan on getting everything but I wouldn't want to miss something anyway.

I mostly own RPGs on ds/3ds so i'm just gonna list all the ones which don't have ports available on anything else outside of other defunct systems (ie vita)

Stuff which is niche enough I could see them never getting re-released again:
Crimson Shroud
Stella Glow
Pocket Jockey
Fantasy Life
Radiant Historia: The New One
SMT: Soul Hackers (even most smt fans don't ever play this, it's one of my favorites though)
SMT: Strange Journey: Ultimate: Redux: Unlimited
SMT 4 Apocalypse
Unchained Blades (idk i liked it)
Devil Survivor 1 & 2
Persona Q Labyrinth Dungeon I and 2
Culdcept Revolt
7th Dragon: III Code

Stuff which might get re-released but the dual-screen functionality IMO makes it worth getting on 3ds over Switch/PC or emulation:
Literally every Etrian Odyssey game
SMT 4 (might get ported at some point, but IMO i think it's good enough on 3ds so who care)
Fire Emblem(ses) but tbh Nintendo has a bad track record with never re-releasing Fire Emblem (unless you want to count the SNES remake of 1 or w/e and Shadow Dragon) and it's unlikely 3DS will ever get official emulation that works properly so this might be it for this run of FE games ever
Pocket Jockey
Severed (this game is out on everything but the touch screen slashy poo poo works best on 3ds imo)

Superior version is on 3ds currently:
Dragon Quest VII (i really like this remake and there's no missing mobile port only features like IV-V-VI afaik)
Dragon Quest VIII? this one kinda suffers on the 3ds graphically but is currently the most feature rich version, so if you can handle iffy graphics then it's good
Monster Hunter Stories 1 (arguable since mobile is higher def but i like the controls on this one better)
Code of Princess
Pocket Jockey
Yo-kai Watch (series is stuck in no-localization-hell might never come out again here ig)

These are the ones I've got right now so there's probably something I'm missing and maybe some of these are terrible according to popular opinion who knows

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 16, 2022

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Araxxor posted:

"Users who link their Nintendo Network ID wallet (used with Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems) with their Nintendo Account wallet (used with the Nintendo Switch family of systems) can use the shared balance to purchase content on any of these systems until late March 2023. After that, the balance can only be used to purchase content for the Nintendo Switch family of systems."

After May/August you can still add money on the Switch then spend it on the 3DS/WiiU until March.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

In addition to thinking about 3ds game and eshop exclusives, it's also worth thinking about DLC and demos. Like, the Bravely Default and Bravely Second demos are unique storylines that add to the main games. And if you're buying Ace Attorney 5 and 6, you should be aware that they have DLC cases.

It suddenly matters a lot whether a game released content as an update vs a free DLC, because only one of those will work past the cutoff.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That sounds like you'll still be able to just straight up buy them from the eshop website till next year? Kinda bummer news tbh, there's still so many great games on 3ds.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

At this point they might as well just post a link to the CFW walkthrough

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Blankspace posted:

Dragon Quest VIII? this one kinda suffers on the 3ds graphically but is currently the most feature rich version, so if you can handle iffy graphics then it's good
I'd buy this game a third time if they re-released it on Switch with remastered graphics, the orchestral soundtrack from the PS2 version, and the 3DS content. Please, Squenix.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Huh, this may be the impetus I need to finally finish what few physical 3DS games I have left. The only downside is they're long ones like Stella Glow, Tales of the Abyss, and Ever Oasis and I'm currently distracted by throwing balls at everything that moves in Pokemon Arceus.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I think you can still redeem codes on the nintendo website and the funds will still show up when you buy stuff on the 3ds/wii u.

Anyone have a complete list of 3ds games with dlc as well? Googling seems to lead to incomplete lists or the most obvious ones (Super smash bros, most of the fire emblems, etc).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the moral move is to pirate everything instead of rewarding nintendo world police for terminating service

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Super No Vacancy posted:

the moral move is to pirate everything instead of rewarding nintendo world police for terminating service

Doesnt the dual screen nature make playing a pirated game from the DS/3DS a huge pain?

Ryuga Death posted:

I think you can still redeem codes on the nintendo website and the funds will still show up when you buy stuff on the 3ds/wii u.

Anyone have a complete list of 3ds games with dlc as well? Googling seems to lead to incomplete lists or the most obvious ones (Super smash bros, most of the fire emblems, etc).

Art Academy had extra lessons. I might go grab some of those, I enjoyed that game and have been meaning to go back to it.

I might pick up some virtual console games that aren't on the snes classic. I'm not sure I want to pay full price for any other games though, maybe one or two.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PlushCow posted:

Doesnt the dual screen nature make playing a pirated game from the DS/3DS a huge pain?

What.

... what?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

PlushCow posted:

you can play pirated games on the console!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

PlushCow posted:

Art Academy had extra lessons. I might go grab some of those, I enjoyed that game and have been meaning to go back to it.

Oh yeah, good call. That game rules and I had forgotten all about it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah but even if you use an emulator on a desktop you have a controller and a mouse so it's still not a problem.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Breadallelogram posted:

My brain farted and I was only thinking of pirated games on PC. I have a old original 3ds I should try and hack

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Super No Vacancy posted:

:yeah:

Nintendo doesn’t want your loving money anyways so why rush out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah but even if you use an emulator on a desktop you have a controller and a mouse so it's still not a problem.

DS emulation works pretty well on phones too, obviously the lack of real buttons limits what's really playable but things like RPGs can work well

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I have a bunch of DS/3DS cases that I’m not using because all of my game carts are in a game holder case thing, is there any resale value to the empty cases or should I throw them in the trash? I see them for sale on eBay all the time but I don’t know if anyone actually buys them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They aren't as valuable as DS cases but depending on the case, yes there is value. I'd put them in a box in the closet for when you realize you actually do want to store your games in cases.