Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kaddish posted:

You'll get two green chests full of x10 books per chest. You will want to look at the TWO engravings for each class and choose ONE engraving for the class of your choice, probably the one you're playing. These two engravings will be wildly different for your class and greatly change or enhance how your class plays. After you open the chests and you have x20 book, read the engraving you chose. You will do this 20 times, once for each book. Then, go to the engraving screen, I forgot where it is, and click on the class engraving tab. You will see that you have unclocked 3 pips for the engraving you chose. You can then slot this into the two bottom left slots on your character screen, giving you 6 pips and unlocking level 1 of the engraving.

You'll also get books for other engravings, like the ether you saw, and you'll get an ability stone that you can facet and etc etc etc. Eventually, from several sources, you can unlock 15 pips for an engraving, unlocking level 3. It's 5 pips per level.

Note sure if this is already known, but you can use entire stacks of items at once. No idea what the mkb command is since I've been on controller again lately :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, I gave this game like 9 hours to try and blow me away with something... anything and it never did.

If your game demands you to beat its gigantic meandering campaign to get to the actual meat of the game then it's a bad game.

I tried really hard to care about the story to get myself invested enough to stick with the campaign but after the 80th quest of "talk to everyone in camp then come back to me" and then seeing the next quest is on the opposite end of the drat map, I groaned and alt f4ed.

It's very pretty, combat is flashy, but it's really too much of a generic by the numbers MMORPG for my tastes.

Not an ARPG indeed, should've did my research more before jumping on the Founder's Pack train... at least it was only $15.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

VanillaGorilla posted:

The first awakening skill is basically "teleport to Trixion and the lady gives you the skill", so you didn't miss much.

The quest for your SECOND awakening skill is apparently significantly longer (e.g. 4 hours).

Yeah the second awakening skill quest is pretty tedious. It’s 3-4 hours of traveling around talking to people with literally one or two interesting fights or other activities. But since the wardancer second ability is so much better than the first one that I buckled down and did it as soon as I finished the elf continent and unlocked it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The amount of systems and things to know being thrown at me during the course of the game really has me :psyboom: . I'm honestly thinking I'm getting to the age now where I'm not capable of playing games like this anymore.

Like, I get there are guides and videos out there that tidy a lot of this stuff up. But it seems like every 5 seconds I have to tab out and scrub through one of 40 tabs of videos to find a cryptic piece of information about how 5 different currencies and drops work together and what means I have to take to prepare to even go about getting said currency.

Pressing buttons in order to make a pile of monsters explode, that's my poo poo. Sailing around the world looking for adventure, that's baller. Calculating how many red balls I have and how many blue balls I need to add to get a higher percentage chance so I don't break the thing I'm upgrading, that's painful. I wonder how long the honeymoon period in the west this game is going to enjoy because I don't really see the majority of people putting up with poo poo like that in the long term.

TLDR: I'm a dumb American who can't understand complex systems but I like blowing poo poo up.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

victrix posted:

Note sure if this is already known, but you can use entire stacks of items at once. No idea what the mkb command is since I've been on controller again lately :v:

I did NOT know that and it would have saved me some time!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I appreciate the help trying to explain it, but the whole book/stone system is going over my head so hard right now. I guess I shouldn't have spent them, then? Only one I have unlocked right now is Drops of ether which gives me Power node point +3 but I don't know what that is or does. I hope this does get better!

I've been trying to unlock Spirit absorbtion since it sounds like it'll be good. But did I understand correctly that even when I unlock it, I can't use it until I have a stone or an item which has the proper nodes (don't have 5 in any stone yet) unlocked and has that particular trait?

Can't use my class bonuses yet, only got 4/20 on Combat readiness.

Also count me in the crew of gamers nearing 40 who are worried on lagging behind with mechanics and stuff on harder encounters. I hope I can do something without dragging everyone down too hard.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
All the complex systems get a lot less concerning when you just stop caring about min-maxing. If you don't have the time to research everything you probably don't have the time to put into the game and play at the level where you messing up and losing out on that 3% dmg matters.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I appreciate the help trying to explain it, but the whole book/stone system is going over my head so hard right now. I guess I shouldn't have spent them, then? Only one I have unlocked right now is Drops of ether which gives me Power node point +3 but I don't know what that is or does. I hope this does get better!

I've been trying to unlock Spirit absorbtion since it sounds like it'll be good. But did I understand correctly that even when I unlock it, I can't use it until I have a stone or an item which has the proper nodes (don't have 5 in any stone yet) unlocked and has that particular trait?

Can't use my class bonuses yet, only got 4/20 on Combat readiness.

Also count me in the crew of gamers nearing 40 who are worried on lagging behind with mechanics and stuff on harder encounters. I hope I can do something without dragging everyone down too hard.

You're only level 34, I don't think you even unlock the two engraving equip slots until later. Keep all the books in your inventory and ignore the system until you get to level 50 and arrive in Vern.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

All the complex systems get a lot less concerning when you just stop caring about min-maxing. If you don't have the time to research everything you probably don't have the time to put into the game and play at the level where you messing up and losing out on that 3% dmg matters.

Yes and no. If you're playing a support then the engraving stuff often really does matter. The paladin, for example, has a very clear "this makes you do more damage when soloing" engraving (and it's very noticable) and a "use this one if you're playing support to heal your buddies" engraving.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
All the systems are pretty overwhelming but I've played enough of these to know that full optimization isn't a huge deal until the actual end game and there aren't many choices I can make now at ilvl 340 that will gently caress me over at 1300.

I've just been doing the Fun poo poo (guardians/chaos rifts with some sailing afterwards) and stashing all the extra currencies and loot boxes for when I'm 100 more hours in and actually aware of what they do through eventual osmosis. Still no idea what I'm doing with strongholds but I'm assuming that as long as I'm always researching something it'll work eventually.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I went to my stronghold and some nightmare fuel creepy children sang me a song. I haven't been back since.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I’m trying to play the simple and probably incorrect “just fuckin smash mobs and don’t touch a goddamn systems thing aside from Combat Skill leveling until 50” approach.

Obviously there are things like Strongholds that I’ll participate in but my inventory has chests and coins and seeds and feathers and all this poo poo that I don’t even want to think about until I get to 50 and decide I have time to read about what to use when and where.

I might miss out on some important stuff but I am having a good time juggling my yellow and green skills and punching things to make them blow up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Did amazon say when they are giving out the extra founder stuff?

acumen posted:

All the systems are pretty overwhelming but I've played enough of these to know that full optimization isn't a huge deal until the actual end game and there aren't many choices I can make now at ilvl 340 that will gently caress me over at 1300.

It's impossible to screw yourself over in this game unless you start disenchanting gear you've upgraded, deleting characters, or something equally destructive. It's very player friendly compared to many others in the kmmo genre.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 16, 2022

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

I went to my stronghold and some nightmare fuel creepy children sang me a song. I haven't been back since.

You’re going to love the next continent

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Matchmaking seems to be borked right now. How doable are the mid-level dungeons solo on hard for average gamers?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

Matchmaking seems to be borked right now. How doable are the mid-level dungeons solo on hard for average gamers?

They scale down to one person and, at least for me, were a complete cakewalk whenever I did them solo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TeaJay posted:

Chug heal over time potions and they are all pretty easy. There is only one or two that might pressure you a bit.

I pretty much spammed abilities on berserker and never died in any of the hard dungeons right through the entirety of t1. Might vary a bit by class. Worst-case I had to run around a bit while my hp ticked up.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 16, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TeaJay posted:

Very doable.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TeaJay posted:

Yer' a young feller. I'm 56 now and have pretty much given up on playing in groups, as I'm just kinda slow at things. I'm just starting to get into Lost Ark, downloaded it yesterday and playing without any packs, and based on the very early game and what I've read, I'll probably level up to 50 while failing to figure out a lot of these side systems, maybe level an alt, and then move on to whatever the next game is. Definitely has a ton of systems that I'll probably never really get into or figure out before I move on.

I'm okay with all of this. I play games that I can enjoy solo, and when they aren't fun anymore, just move on. Luckily for me, this game is free, and I'm actually playing it that way.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I know this is a bad question that has likely been asked before but after reading through a dozen pages I didn't see it. My friend wants me to play this with them and I'm likely to stick around either way, so what is the West NA server goons are playing on? Or maybe one of them if it's multiple? Thanks!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that constantly annoys me in the game is how NPC's keep interrupting your boss fight and stealing the glory. Instead of watching some anime fight between two NPC's, why not let me do something?

Does this ever get better or is this gonna happen throughout the game?

And yeah, just finished up with Blackrose basement, that was very doable solo hard.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

TeaJay posted:

One thing that constantly annoys me in the game is how NPC's keep interrupting your boss fight and stealing the glory. Instead of watching some anime fight between two NPC's, why not let me do something?

Does this ever get better or is this gonna happen throughout the game?

It gets better.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Whoreson Welles posted:

I’m trying to play the simple and probably incorrect “just fuckin smash mobs and don’t touch a goddamn systems thing aside from Combat Skill leveling until 50” approach.

Obviously there are things like Strongholds that I’ll participate in but my inventory has chests and coins and seeds and feathers and all this poo poo that I don’t even want to think about until I get to 50 and decide I have time to read about what to use when and where.

I might miss out on some important stuff but I am having a good time juggling my yellow and green skills and punching things to make them blow up.

This is the correct way to play the game. Too many people in this thread are panicking about nothing and getting worried about systems that don’t matter until well into the endgame. Just play the game and have fun.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

How can I get some initial ability stones on my alt once I reach luterra castle? They didn't give me the 5 free stones like they did with my first char.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

d0grent posted:

How can I get some initial ability stones on my alt once I reach luterra castle? They didn't give me the 5 free stones like they did with my first char.

Just run some of the content and you’ll get them as drops. You should be able to do the 300 content without them. Alternative you could trade them from your main.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Locator posted:

Yer' a young feller. I'm 56 now and have pretty much given up on playing in groups, as I'm just kinda slow at things. I'm just starting to get into Lost Ark, downloaded it yesterday and playing without any packs, and based on the very early game and what I've read, I'll probably level up to 50 while failing to figure out a lot of these side systems, maybe level an alt, and then move on to whatever the next game is. Definitely has a ton of systems that I'll probably never really get into or figure out before I move on.

I'm okay with all of this. I play games that I can enjoy solo, and when they aren't fun anymore, just move on. Luckily for me, this game is free, and I'm actually playing it that way.

I'm 45 and slow as hell but you should still group up for dungeons. They are very easy in a group and there's no reason not to.

Also, if you're only interested in leveling I would absolutely not, under any circumstances whatsoever, choose this game to do it.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 16, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hi friends! I'm downloading this game now. I was wondering which Martial Arts class I should play as. I usually play monks in games if I can. Diablo 3, Vanguard Saga of Heros, FFXIV. I was wondering if any of you have insight into which ones are the easiest/hardest to play, and which ones are the least/most fun to play.

I was leaning Striker so far, but Wardancer looks fun too

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Game was fun but it's just too KMMO for me, way too many systems and dailies and all that to do. I did have fun up to like gear level 460 but after that its worn off. Plus Elden ring and Warhammer 3 are out in the next week! Have fun my fellow MMO goons.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Hi friends! I'm downloading this game now. I was wondering which Martial Arts class I should play as. I usually play monks in games if I can. Diablo 3, Vanguard Saga of Heros, FFXIV. I was wondering if any of you have insight into which ones are the easiest/hardest to play, and which ones are the least/most fun to play.

They are all good. I don't see Strikers very often, fulfill your Ryu fantasy and choose that. I'm going to guess Wardancer has the least DPS of martial artists but you'll get very, very excellent buffs.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 16, 2022

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wouldn't necessarily blame being bewildered by the multiple game systems on being old. This seems to be a Korean(Asian?) MMO thing. I remember trying DFO and it had a very similar thing going on of like 18 different currencies and 7 different systems dumped on you simultaneously. I think Maplestory and a lot of Nexon games are like that too. It gets more and more complex the longer the game has been out and stuff like strongholds are added.

Picking up FFXIV was way less confusing, for comparison. That game still has a lot of systems but most of them are optional, and it's a lot clearer about which is which.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kaddish posted:

They are all good. I don't see Strikers very often, fulfill your Ryu fantasy and choose that. I'm going to guess Wardancer has the least DPS of martial artists but you'll get very, very excellent buffs.

Wardancers are one of the highest dps specs once you get to higher gear levels.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TeaJay posted:

I appreciate the help trying to explain it, but the whole book/stone system is going over my head so hard right now. I guess I shouldn't have spent them, then?

The books you got were specic Drops of Ether books so it's fine that you used them up. The ones you really want to save are the "selector chest" items that let you pick any engraving you want, like these:

Since books do nothing until you get 20, you want to wait until you can collect a full set of 20 selector chests before deciding / using them.

quote:

Only one I have unlocked right now is Drops of ether which gives me Power node point +3 but I don't know what that is or does. I hope this does get better!
What "Drops of Ether" the Engraving does is "attacks have a chance to create an Ether within 8 meters"

What your equippable book thing does is give +3 power nodes to Drops of Ether.

You can equip that twice on your equipment screen right here, to get a total of +6 nodes:

That means these 6 nodes are lit up on the Engravings tab:

Since I've gotten all 5 nodes lit up in the first section, that means I have level 1 of the Drops of Ether passive activated. I need 4 more nodes to activate the level 2 bonus, which I could get from a random ability stone. (My ability stone has +5 to Preemptive Strike instead, which is why those 5 are lit up below.)
You can see I also have 4 nodes lit up for Enhanced Shield, but the passive is still greyed out. The nodes don't give me any benefit until I reach at least 5.

quote:

You misunderstood. The equippable books just give + nodes, and the ability stones just give + nodes. As soon as you collect 20/20 books for spirit absorption, you can equip the book version twice and light up 6 nodes on the engraving screen, to activate level 1.
If you had the max-level gold book version (which you upgrade to later, after going through blue and purple books), you would get +12 nodes instead of +3, which is enough to activate lvl 2 on its own. Then if you got an ability stone with +3 Spirit Absorption, you would go all the way to 15 nodes and activate the level 3 passive.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 16, 2022

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The books you got were specic Drops of Ether books so it's fine that you used them up. The ones you really want to save are the "selector chest" items that let you pick any engraving you want, like these:
~snip~
Since books do nothing until you get 20, you want to wait until you can collect a full set of 20 selector chests before deciding / using them.

What "Drops of Ether" the Engraving does is "attacks have a chance to create an Ether within 8 meters"
~snip~
What your equippable book thing does is give +3 power nodes to Drops of Ether.

You can equip that twice on your equipment screen right here, to get a total of +6 nodes:
~snip~
That means these 6 nodes are lit up on the Engravings tab:
~snip~

Since I've gotten all 5 nodes lit up in the first section, that means I have level 1 of the Drops of Ether passive activated. I need 4 more nodes to activate the level 2 bonus, which I could get from a random ability stone. (My ability stone has +5 to Preemptive Strike instead, which is why those 5 are lit up below.)
You can see I also have 4 nodes lit up for Enhanced Shield, but the passive is still greyed out. The nodes don't give me any benefit until I reach at least 5.

You misunderstood. The equippable books just give + nodes, and the ability stones just give + nodes. As soon as you collect 20/20 books for spirit absorption, you can equip the book version twice and light up 6 nodes on the engraving screen, to activate level 1.
If you had the max-level gold book version (which you upgrade to later, after going through blue and purple books), you would get +12 nodes instead of +3, which is enough to activate lvl 2 on its own. Then if you got an ability stone with +3 Spirit Absorption, you would go all the way to 15 nodes and activate the level 3 passive.

Huge thanks for this!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

That’s a nice concise explanation, thanks.

BUT what does ether do lmao?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Ethers are those green orbs that drop sometimes and automatically get pulled to you when you walk by. They give different buffs or recover your HP.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's a good explanation, thanks. I may have to copy that somewhere for future reference.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Kaddish posted:

I'm 45 and slow as hell but you should still group up for dungeons. They are very easy in a group and there's no reason not to.

There's two good reasons to solo dungeons. 1, you can wander off to make a sandwich if you want. 2, you don't have to worry about someone interrupting your podcast wanting to chat. This has been a really nice podcast game, I usually do Lost Ark after I finish with my Genshin dailies.

I got a silver pass, and I usually play 30-60 minutes a day. Sometimes I take a break for a day or two. Currently around level 18, and looking forward to that big fancy castle setpiece.

I'm tempted to get a seed guide and do the full scavenger hunt thing, but I'm probably going to stick with just grabbing what stands out as I mow through sidequests. I'll probably do a second playthrough of main campaign once the Artist or Summoner come out, and that will be a good time to do the completionist run.

Elden Ring is coming in... 11 days? I'm not sure if I'll finish the story before then, but I'm definitely having a pretty good time at the moment.

EDIT: I think I liked the combat in Dungeon Fighter Online a little bit better, but the environments in Lost Ark look much nicer. My favorite part of the game so far is just marveling at the fields and outlook points. Was really cool zooming in on a scenic spot and noticing that hyper detailed lizard just chilling on a rock.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2022

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

RC Cola posted:

Im playing Scrapper and it absolutely nails the concept of just beating the poo poo out of everything with giant metal gauntlets while screaming like a maniac.

Sort of like a ffxiv monk with a big helping of Vi from League of Legends

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
For the folks like me who were confused where you get the 20 Class Engraving books, you get them from three side quests after the Luterra castle siege.

The big one is the quest chain Memories of Luterra, which you get from Theo who is standing behind the throne at the castle, look for the purple quest mark. The chain will get you 15 of the 20 books you need.

Aside from that, you get the rest from Knight To Be Remembered, at the PvP spot north of the castle entrance, which gives you three books for clicking on four statues.

After that, you unlock Song of the People, from a bard lady in town not far from the castle entrance. You get two books for clicking on some nearby people.

Once that's done you'll have enough to unlock one Class Engraving, and like other folks said you can equip it to both slots on your sheet to get the level 1 effect, or just save it for later because levelling isn't that hard without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Spuckuk posted:

Im playing Scrapper and it absolutely nails the concept of just beating the poo poo out of everything with giant metal gauntlets while screaming like a maniac.

Sort of like a ffxiv monk with a big helping of Vi from League of Legends

Oh the only character I play in league of legends you say. Ok I'm a scrapper main