Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

mulligan posted:

I think I'll stop dreaming and just get whatever the weird Canadian insurance rates deem I can have... I mean, the rates here in Toronto are insane!

Is this a big city theft thing or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Is this a big city theft thing or something?

It is a Canadians are the softest sells on the planet thing and if you just say sorry that's just how much it costs, we pretty much just go "oh well, I guess I'll have to pay it eh?". Nobody is breaking in to the Canadian market in anything with an aggressively competitively priced product because they will either a) be immediately shut down by the incumbent corporations or b) realize they can just charge more money for it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Still no news on a new job so the stupid part of my brain has kicked in and I've started investigating a grey import CT125. There's one UK company that does them but the price is rather eye watering.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Lungboy posted:

Still no news on a new job so the stupid part of my brain has kicked in and I've started investigating a grey import CT125. There's one UK company that does them but the price is rather eye watering.

When I suggested them, I didn't realize that the UK/Europe also didn't get them.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Captain McAllister posted:

When I suggested them, I didn't realize that the UK/Europe also didn't get them.

We get the Super Cub but not the trail for some reason. A company buys small numbers and ships them in from Thailand where they cost £1900. By the time you add shipping, duty, vat, registration etc they cost £4500 to your front door which feels too much.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lungboy posted:

We get the Super Cub but not the trail for some reason. A company buys small numbers and ships them in from Thailand where they cost £1900. By the time you add shipping, duty, vat, registration etc they cost £4500 to your front door which feels too much.

gently caress that's a grand more than I paid for my MT-03 :psyduck:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

KillHour posted:

gently caress that's a grand more than I paid for my MT-03 :psyduck:

Yep, you can get a pre-reg brand new MT03 for £4k here, so you have to *really* want the CT to pay 4.5.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I put my bike info into the local dealers trade in calculator and it started me thinking what sort of trades I would make. I think I'd pay dealer like $500 with my bike to get a CRF300L, but of course those are hard to come by and they have old stock 250L's that they are charging $6700 for. What a joke.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The XSR / MT platform is real good so definitely go for that one.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If somebody wanted to get a cheapish used bike, for the sole purpose of learning to do wheelies, what should they be shopping for?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally any cheap dirt bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Literally any cheap dirt bike

which is going to be rare as hen's teeth in the current market, assuming you want one that runs

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
More generally, is it worth learning how to do wheelies and stoppies? And after practicing on dirt, should you learn to do them on a street bike?

Edit: Probably should have asked in the newbie thread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No because you shouldn’t be doing wheelies and stoppies on the street :colbert:

That being said, knowing how to do dirt bike wheelies will go a long way towards keeping you from eating poo poo when you eventually do try it on the street

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

More generally, is it worth learning how to do wheelies and stoppies? And after practicing on dirt, should you learn to do them on a street bike?

Edit: Probably should have asked in the newbie thread

I'm gonna go with yes, extremely yes.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

yeah I think being able to loft your rear is important because it lets you realize how much braking force you can actually apply, should you be doing it properly. You will also eventually ride a bike that is either powerful enough or has wheelie-friendly geometry and you don't want to have never experienced that before, esp if it's on a powerful bike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Getting yourself into pucker zone more often better prepares you for when those moments happen by accident. That's my favorite part about riding dirt. You end up in "oh poo poo" moments all the time so you start to get more comfortable there and when they actually happen, they don't seem so extreme.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It's annoying that the only technically helpful wheelies in dirt are standstill ones. You ain't furthering your dirt abilities if you can only do lovely 3rd gear clutch-ups on the fire road at 25+mph (me). I need to learn how to pivot turn.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

buy a spare rear fender lol

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Can Canadians tell me why bikes are cheap in Montreal? What's the catch? Can I go and buy one there and ride it to TO? Is it a registration and insurance issue?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mulligan posted:

Can Canadians tell me why bikes are cheap in Montreal? What's the catch? Can I go and buy one there and ride it to TO? Is it a registration and insurance issue?

I think it's because Quebec has a more European attitude to motorcycles, so there are just generally more riders and more bikes being sold, so the used market is that much stronger. There's nothing stopping you, it's just a bit of hassle with paperwork. You'll need to get a 10 day permit from Ontario to ride it back and get it inspected, which means you'll need the VIN and bill of sale, so you'll need to actually go buy it, then come back and get the permit (and insure it), then go back and get the bike. Better option is to rent a pickup or a van or a Uhaul bike trailer if you have a tow vehicle, then you can just do one trip and deal with the MTO at your leisure.
Oh and also (especially outside of Montreal) bring a French speaking friend.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's because Quebec has a more European attitude to motorcycles, so there are just generally more riders and more bikes being sold, so the used market is that much stronger. There's nothing stopping you, it's just a bit of hassle with paperwork. You'll need to get a 10 day permit from Ontario to ride it back and get it inspected, which means you'll need the VIN and bill of sale, so you'll need to actually go buy it, then come back and get the permit (and insure it), then go back and get the bike. Better option is to rent a pickup or a van or a Uhaul bike trailer if you have a tow vehicle, then you can just do one trip and deal with the MTO at your leisure.
Oh and also (especially outside of Montreal) bring a French speaking friend.

Got it! Thanks! I do speak a little French so MAYBE I can do it! Also, I was wondering the best bike for Toronto, because holy crap are the roads bad! So the list is now:

Keep in mind my budget is 6k

- CB500X (Insurance, travel, abs, but boring)

- BMW F800R (Had one before) it was so comfortable and so boring it became endearing but is great for long trips and had enough poke to get arround)

- Royal Enfield 650/Twins: made for Indian roads so great for TO! The issue is they are IMPOSSIBLE to find one for a decent price, even used!

- Svartpilen 401: NO! BAD WORMS! GET OUT OF MY HEAD LALALA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like you need a dr650

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mulligan posted:

Got it! Thanks! I do speak a little French so MAYBE I can do it! Also, I was wondering the best bike for Toronto, because holy crap are the roads bad! So the list is now:

- BMW F800R (Had one before) it was so comfortable and so boring it became endearing but is great for long trips and had enough poke to get arround)

- Royal Enfield 650/Twins: made for Indian roads so great for TO! The issue is they are IMPOSSIBLE to find one for a decent price, even used!

- Svartpilen 401: NO! BAD WORMS! GET OUT OF MY HEAD LALALA

SV650?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

mulligan posted:

My CB500x is good for south western Ontario roads, and it was ok on dirt/gravel roads around Kingston. It is an old model, so only 75mm ish suspension. Insurance in KW wasn’t bad, about 800 for the year, and it runs on anything. Never got down in to Toronto though, always bypassed on the 407/401/ hwy 9 to get to points east quickly.

It’s got enough power for 2 up with full luggage on the highway, but it’s at about 6500 rpm in 6th.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like you need a dr650

Within the city limits, yeah, and great for once you get out into the sticks, but between those places is the thunderdome of 400-series highways and a DR is not going to be ideal there.
Still, with a $6k budget, it's a very strong contender.
Other options might be a nerdstrom, and the fz/mt07.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If rough roads are a problem the mt07 isn't the solution I'm afraid.

A vstrom is just a slow death

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
yea i was looking for a used royal enfield last year, was impossible.

this one guy dropped his 650int and didnt fix it (dented tank and crushed blinkers, scratches, etc) and was selling it like 500 under msrp new and would not budge on price

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
CB500x is a very good all around bike that will do well on rough roads. But in true Honda fashion, suspension is designed for someone way under 200 lb.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
looking for a honda CB77 for my dad, pretty much any condition. hit me up if you know of one for sale

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've got FJR1300 on the brain now after a brief and low-speed test ride, but am wondering what else I should keep an eye out for on the California used market.

The Priority stack:
#1 ABS or otherwise Very Good Brakes
#2 Passenger comfort
#3 Responsive handling and fun to ride

Other specs:
-$5k target budget, could stretch up slightly
-Standard riding position or in that ballpark. My lower back can't have a pillion on it.
-Usable by short folk

That passenger comfort bit is key; we won't be touring, this is one-hour freeway rides for two up the coast or tooling around back roads in the foothills. That said I've had two smallish bikes now and want something kinda sporty or fun for me for the next one. I can accept riding a fast bike slow as long as the bike's awesomeness can be appreciated and used in the 30-70mph range too.

What bike should I buy? Will I be happier with a V-twin than an inline 4 in back roads with 10-40mph curves? Most of my experience is with a parallel twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Concourse 1400
Vfr800
Zrx/bandit/xjr
Some kind of big bmw if you hate life and fun and money

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Original FZ1? I haven't rode one yet but journos seem to still like it.

The Rex never had ABS available. The brakes are. (ie, they exist and will slow the bike to a stop). Seems pretty common to replace the fronts with four-pots instead of the 6-pot tokikos they shipped with. Hits all your other requirements though.

And only you can answer whether you'd prefer a v or an I4 in the corners. Motorcycling is intensely personal and a sensorial experience until you start competing for money.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I was thinking ST1300 until you listed "fun to ride".

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Perhaps a Tracer 900? People really like the mt-09 engine and the tracer has more upright ergos.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

I was thinking ST1300 until you listed "fun to ride".

I always forget how much heavier and how far down on power the ST was compared to the FJR

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

Some kind of big bmw if you hate life and fun and money

The S 1000 XR was supposed to be fun and good, right? I mean, I think hating money still applies.

Didn't someone have one of these? Pokes? Someone? Like it was custom painted a nice powder blue or am I mashing like seven things together?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are good bikes, but he mentioned wanting to do passenger stuff and yeah nah, I don't think they're particularly good at that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

The S 1000 XR was supposed to be fun and good, right? I mean, I think hating money still applies.

Didn't someone have one of these? Pokes? Someone? Like it was custom painted a nice powder blue or am I mashing like seven things together?

Yas Marina Blue I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s bandit time