Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I can imagine loving things yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
this thread's national anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1t68CU4owo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

laura, what's your username

https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1493975456667766787?s=20&t=VqWMD4wQqDp4172uiFOa4A

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Live in a certain part of South Philly.

There's nothing like being poor and cold and hungry but still able to stroll down the corner and purchase a hot, crusty, freshly baked buttered roll with the few shabby coins you have rolling around in your pocket.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The first step to getting rid of cars is not taking them away, but giving people a choice. Once there are sufficient viable alternatives a large number of people will abandon the car lifestyle. As soon as I moved to a city with viable alternatives the cars were gone in months.

There's no point in taking away cars if we are not going to build communities in a way that you can get places by walking, biking, bussing, training, streetcaring, or whatever.
To quibble with this framing a bit: building communities in a way that you can get places by walking, biking, bussing, training, streetcaring, or whatever is very much interpreted by the broader public as taking cars away and, in a lot of ways, it is. There are solidly left-wing folk who, like a lot of us, have been steeped in car-brain their entire lives and will argue vehemently against a bike or bus lane taking away a car lane or parking, with the complaint that the former cater to gentrifying elites while the latter are absolute necessities for working class drivers. It becomes a chicken or egg problem, where you can't build out alternatives without reining in driver privilege and you can't present drivers with sufficiently fleshed out alternatives without having first built them out.

This isn't just about imposing both a carrot and stick to get people out of cars, it's just fundamentally not viable to advance one lifestyle without making the other one effectively impossible.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the obvious solution is to mandate it so that there's a one in fifty chance that your car will explode and kill you every time you turn it on

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Live in a certain part of South Philly.

There's nothing like being poor and cold and hungry but still able to stroll down the corner and purchase a hot, crusty, freshly baked buttered roll with the few shabby coins you have rolling around in your pocket.
It sucks that legit bakeries don't exist almost anywhere in the US anymore. Like there may be places selling cakes or something, but nowhere selling bread except the supermarket.

Cugel the Clever posted:

To quibble with this framing a bit: building communities in a way that you can get places by walking, biking, bussing, training, streetcaring, or whatever is very much interpreted by the broader public as taking cars away and, in a lot of ways, it is. There are solidly left-wing folk who, like a lot of us, have been steeped in car-brain their entire lives and will argue vehemently against a bike or bus lane taking away a car lane or parking, with the complaint that the former cater to gentrifying elites while the latter are absolute necessities for working class drivers. It becomes a chicken or egg problem, where you can't build out alternatives without reining in driver privilege and you can't present drivers with sufficiently fleshed out alternatives without having first built them out.

This isn't just about imposing both a carrot and stick to get people out of cars, it's just fundamentally not viable to advance one lifestyle without making the other one effectively impossible.
I mean theoretically you can do it on a somewhat regional level so people can choose which they want. That does run the risk of just benefiting yuppies or whatever but it you just did it on a big enough scale it might work. One of the problem is state governments overriding local attempts to improve things, and in some cases that theoretically might benefit lower income people living farther out, but since building alternatives can actually improve traffic by getting people out of cars, that's not necessarily even the case.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Feb 16, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In the US you can't talk about transportation options without talking about how we build housing. People in the US balk at transportation alternatives because they take feel entitled to live wherever they want. "I can't bike or take the bus because I live too far from my job and my kids' school." Yeah, you made an unsustainable lifestyle decision, and we shouldn't continue subsidizing that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cugel the Clever posted:

There are solidly left-wing folk who, like a lot of us, have been steeped in car-brain their entire lives and will argue vehemently against a bike or bus lane taking away a car lane or parking, with the complaint that the former cater to gentrifying elites while the latter are absolute necessities for working class drivers.

We call these people wreckers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"I would love to take the bus, but I live in a subdivision 30 minutes past the farthest-reaching bus line. It just wouldn't be practical to run buses out here. Some people have to drive."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

In the US you can't talk about transportation options without talking about how we build housing. People in the US balk at transportation alternatives because they take feel entitled to live wherever they want. "I can't bike or take the bus because I live too far from my job and my kids' school." Yeah, you made an unsustainable lifestyle decision, and we shouldn't continue subsidizing that.
I guess the problem is if you don't fix housing first, you can end up effectively loving over lower income people. Like roads obviously shouldn't be the main mechanism of wealth redistribution but you have to be somewhat conscious of that possibility. Obviously you need to lower the price of housing in cities to make up for it but that's also impossible in the US.

And it's kind of true that when places in the US do try to build cycling infrastructure it has historically been mainly for wealthier people, so some people who are focused mainly on inequality may distrust cyclist infrastructure implicitly.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Feb 16, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

I guess the problem is if you don't fix housing first, you can end up effectively loving over lower income people. Like roads obviously shouldn't be the main mechanism of wealth redistribution but you have to be somewhat conscious of that possibility. Obviously you need to lower the price of housing in cities to make up for it but that's also impossible in the US.

Yeah the housing shortage is directly contributing to auto dependency because affordable housing is too far away from cites and jobs.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sometimes wonder why people online get so hostile to the idea of public transportation.

Thank you for reminding me that these people watch fox news 24/7 365.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The other problem is I guess you could say it's fine for people who really want to live further out to do that if they really pay for the roads and other infrastructure, but essentially you have to intentionally 1) build a shitton more housing to the point where you actually massively reduce the price of housing because if you DON'T lower the price people won't be able to afford it, and 2) make living in suburbs much harder in ways that will probably also harm house prices there

And americans have all their loving wealth tied up in houses so what they actually want is to build more roads so everyone commutes further so the lovely commute from the house they own will be desirable in comparison

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mystes posted:

It sucks that legit bakeries don't exist almost anywhere in the US anymore. Like there may be places selling cakes or something, but nowhere selling bread except the supermarket.

I mean theoretically you can do it on a somewhat regional level so people can choose which they want. That does run the risk of just benefiting yuppies or whatever but it you just did it on a big enough scale it might work. One of the problem is state governments overriding local attempts to improve things, and in some cases that theoretically might benefit lower income people living farther out, but since building alternatives can actually improve traffic by getting people out of cars, that's not necessarily even the case.

People who live in the suburbs public transportation as subsidizing transport for poor people and won't get a job and then a buy car.

This is of course insane but it is the world we live in..

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I generally agree with this and know all too many people who choose to buy a house out in the rear end-end of nowhere because they wanted a McMansion or are racists/classists , but it's important to note that our inability to build new homes in the places people want to live increasingly pushes the impoverished into distant exurban apartment complexes where they're royally hosed by absolute car dependency.

Housing and transit are unfortunately very tired up in one another.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There is a nice little bakery near me, but it's a 20-minute walk, so I don't walk there much. However there's a Mexican restaurant 8 minutes from my house, so I do eat a lot of tacos.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PeterCat posted:

People who live in the suburbs public transportation as subsidizing transport for poor people and won't get a job and then a buy car.

This is of course insane but it is the world we live in..
I guess this is everything in the US. Everyone thinks that doing stuff (transit, healthcare, whatever) would only benefit OTHER people so they hate it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
You can enjoy driving all you want, but the infrastructure and over use of automobiles is counter productive to that enjoyment, and isn't cost effective, beyond ignoring the Environmental effects.

Hello, from Los Angeles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scCKkewROMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHLKYB5AF8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQI9ntBPxU4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XvBozj4-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Dt_L-8Bbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPZxRPC5BA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y11DaZd0LAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfFGi8tBbVE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTnmf9fGk53uTxb4lL8EUuQ

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/moore_oliver/status/1493995411291492352?s=20&t=rtpS_O4joxoXrtWXNaM4Ng

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thanks for reminding me of the worst commutes of my life

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Thanks for reminding me of the worst commutes of my life

Did you ever get into the habit where you only talk in time?
I was talking about a guy online, and he was surprised how I never talk about distance when driving.
Like when I talk about traveling, space doesn't really exist, because traffic warps how long it takes to travel through space. So the only thing that matters is time.

Like it takes about 40 minutes to get to my friends house by freeway, or an hour, twenty to get there by street, during mid day, while at night it's about 20 minutes by freeway and 40 minutes by street.

If you ask me "how far away is something." I would answer, "like 30 minutes or whatever."

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Did you ever get into the habit where you only talk in time?
I was talking about a guy online, and he was surprised how I never talk about distance when driving.
Like when I talk about traveling, space doesn't really exist, because traffic warps how long it takes to travel through space. So the only thing that matters is time.

Like it takes about 40 minutes to get to my friends house by freeway, or an hour, twenty to get there by street, during mid day, while at night it's about 20 minutes by freeway and 40 minutes by street.

If you ask me "how far away is something." I would answer, "like 30 minutes or whatever."

time is the only valid way of measuring distance in los angeles, where trips of 5 miles can take an hour one way but 10 minutes on the way back, at this point i'm pretty sure no one in LA even knows the actual distance between places

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mystes posted:

The other problem is I guess you could say it's fine for people who really want to live further out to do that if they really pay for the roads and other infrastructure, but essentially you have to intentionally 1) build a shitton more housing to the point where you actually massively reduce the price of housing because if you DON'T lower the price people won't be able to afford it, and 2) make living in suburbs much harder in ways that will probably also harm house prices there

And americans have all their loving wealth tied up in houses so what they actually want is to build more roads so everyone commutes further so the lovely commute from the house they own will be desirable in comparison

Have you considered that anything done to lower the price of housing will financially hurt a shitload of people, especially rich people, and would thus be poison to any politician given they all rely on 'donations' and capital controls the media, which controls the ability for politicians to get re-elected?

Every time I hear a politician talking about making housing more affordable it pisses me off so much because I know they have every incentive to SAY that they're going to do something but zero incentive to actually do it. It would take probably a halving of house prices where I live to make them even close to affordable for the average worker my age looking to buy their first house, can you imagine how hosed a politician would be if they made the average house price halve? The people that it benefits are poor and thus don't matter, the people that it hurts are rich and thus matter a shitload.

Like all things the root cause is capitalism, and until that goes away it's hard to see how any positive change on a large scale is possible. That's not to say that positive change on a small/local scale isn't possible, but it would be despite the system.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
well there's your problem feat. not just bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

docbeard posted:

CSPAM: "There is nothing remotely enjoyable about driving"

Also CSPAM: Ten trillion posts about a game where you drive trucks around Siberia

sounds like there's something enjoyable about gaming

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

get a load of this cager going insane at the prospect of being delayed for anywhere up to 15 minutes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/styxzv/asshat_in_semi/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sphyre posted:

get a load of this cager going insane at the prospect of being delayed for anywhere up to 15 minutes:

loving owned

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

holy gently caress this is absolutely horrific video

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2022/02/15/see-it-horrifying-crash-at-notorious-queens-intersection-puts-city-dot-on-notice-again/

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Sphyre posted:

exit and pullover, post on something awful for five minutes, start and get back on the road

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sphyre posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaTMV_IBQc

Here is the context that just makes them both look even dumber. If another driver tries to run you off the road, you don't have to continue road battling them forever like this. Your car is capable of slowing down, stopping, and even turning onto other roads.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaTMV_IBQc

Here is the context that just makes them both look even dumber. If another driver tries to run you off the road, you don't have to continue road battling them forever like this. Your car is capable of slowing down, stopping, and even turning onto other roads.

it makes it even funnier because apparently that semi was hauling rear end and then suddenly decided to slow down just to gently caress with this lady for like 15 minutes or whatever. bet you that trucker was laughing his rear end off in the cab

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
the truck was actually the good guy in Duel (1971)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I hate that bike ways are held up because of public car parks

Our bikeways have counters on them and get 500-1000 people a day( the better connected ones get significantly more riders , wow what a surprise!)

And that for the sake of 20-50 car parks on land that is publicly owned, 500-1000 people a day get inconvenienced

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yep, and that's why I think the framing of "give us a choice!" Is the only way to move forward. The car brained public is going to fight tooth and claw regardless but demanding freedom of choice at least is something that resonates with a large portion of the population. The city that i live in is on the cusp of doing some really good redevelopment and "we just want a choice" is one of the more effective lines I have been using on naysayers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/gt3sam_/status/1494080149754724352?s=20&t=VJqT5sN7qRF869eIJ8X4wg

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

The third meeting was called after a January city council session where the Applewood Hills and Heights Residents’ Association’s Athina Tagidou argued the Bloor bike lanes would violate Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which pertains to the right to life, liberty and security of the person.

Tagidou told council she believed the proposed cycling infrastructure in the residential stretch between Cawthra and Dixie would increase risks of injuries and death as “homeowners and businesses on a daily basis struggle to negotiate the bicycle lanes.”

"The city, by constructing bicycle lanes on Bloor Street between Cawthra and Dixie, would strip us of the freedom to make fundamental personal choices of our individual dignity to live without fear and the individual independence to choose how we live our lives in our homes as well as out on Bloor Street," she said at the January meeting.

disgusting ideology. product of a diseased and spoiled mind

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I own a house can I demand that the local government block off the street in front of it and only let bikes/pedestrians through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Sovcit thinking

But also with that weird sense of ownership that pushes at the bounds of explicitly legal