Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bugsy posted:

The crossover everyone has been waiting for.

https://youtu.be/N4eG4_IV3_A

I’m really not tryna be a dick or troll the thread or whatever but is the intention of this to be funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's actually at least their second song together. Thumbnail is pretty good.

https://youtu.be/hZmaoIyE7xo

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I’m really not tryna be a dick or troll the thread or whatever but is the intention of this to be funny?

It's a gentle parody of the citypop genre, but also a p good citypop song in its own right

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sandwolf posted:

I think it's supposed to be amusing, if that distinction makes sense. I can't imagine laughing at it, but I enjoyed it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
BDG has evolved past the need to always be funny

now sometimes he also has to be an adorable theatre twink parasocial boyfriend to his army of fans

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bdg is the only good theater kid

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

thecluckmeme posted:

gently caress Balsa wood

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1492346687741956100?t=p5LqqL3Pn6kQQ4APqQeHMQ&s=19

for real though, I had to look up belt colors to see how far along Justin is and his next step is black belt, that's pretty cool.

Terrifying. No podcaster should have this level of sheer destructive power. Nobody who would start a podcast has the level of wisdom required to use it properly.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Perhaps people would be interested in this Oral History of Seeso which contains exactly one sentence from exactly one McElroy brother.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Sivart13 posted:

Perhaps people would be interested in this Oral History of Seeso which contains exactly one sentence from exactly one McElroy brother.

What is the deal with these "oral" histories? They seem to have got super popular in the last few years but are actually a terrible format for explaining what happened. It's just like a load of unedited rambling sentence snippets talking around a story.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

roomtwofifteen posted:

It's a gentle parody of the citypop genre, but also a p good citypop song in its own right

I must be old because I’ve never heard of citypop

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Citypop is from the 80s and has had a recent revival online. If you haven't heard of it, it's probably that you're not a weeb, because it's originally from Japan.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Just a groovy tune, don't gotta be funny.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citypop doesnt exist, its a fake genre retroactively applied to songs to make them feel more special.

Its like if you started calling jazz fusion from the late 60s into the 70s "Personacore"

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

most genre names are fake and made up after the fact like that, but they still refer to a specific thing, see also:triphop, idm, freak folk, etc etc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

If its not in ishkur's guide to electronic music its not real

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, genre in general mostly exists just to organize store shelves and for marketers to try to sell poo poo to people in more targeted groups. Media fans have made it into a way to feel superior and start internet slap fights.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've always enjoyed that bluegrass is named after Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Citypop in particular is just like, five Japanese pop songs from the 80s that someone started putting in Youtube compilations. Unless there are a bunch of new entries from modern artists emulating the sound, I think it isn't broad enough to be considered a genre even retrospectively.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

External Organs posted:

I've always enjoyed that bluegrass is named after Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys.

I think most people don't know that bluegrass has only been around for 80 years

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Empty Sandwich posted:

I think most people don't know that bluegrass has only been around for 80 years

poo poo, the F-5 model mandolin is only 100 years old!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Android Blues posted:

Citypop in particular is just like, five Japanese pop songs from the 80s that someone started putting in Youtube compilations. Unless there are a bunch of new entries from modern artists emulating the sound, I think it isn't broad enough to be considered a genre even retrospectively.

It's a small subgenre, and it basically is just synth, funk, and yacht rock stuck together, but it isn't quite that small. There's only a few songs that are actually remembered and put into those compilations, though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Does citypop have that high keening sound that I crave

kamille
Mar 18, 2016

Android Blues posted:

People are definitely making new city pop, and it's recognized as a genre in Japan by musicians. A lot of the new stuff is coming out of Korea interestingly enough.

https://oto-asari.com/neocitypop-2021/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrdbeCAdm8

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

kamille posted:

People are definitely making new city pop, and it's recognized as a genre in Japan by musicians. A lot of the new stuff is coming out of Korea interestingly enough.

https://oto-asari.com/neocitypop-2021/

Korea seems to have a pretty thriving jazz scene for whatever reason. I remember coming across a ton of Korean stuff when I was looking for that sort of thing back when Persona 5 came out.

edit: im just starting the latest TAZ. if griffin pulls an Assassin Creed ending twist with this character I'll be so excited

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 14, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not to be outdone by Sidney, in today's MBMBaM the idea is floated for the boys to begin a new business venture they think they can take to exciting new highs.

It's a weird one.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The fly boys talk is good and I dunno who the guestpert is but I was barely payin attention so I guess it's a okay by me.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is it me or did they already do that Riddle Me Piss?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They have not but it's been a similar answer to a previous riddle. Griffin is 100% correct in that his brain has been poisoned to immediately go for the dumbshit garbage answer since that tracks with all prior riddles.

Travis must dig deeper.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Looked it up, and it's the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhdir0FqTz8&t=89s

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Seriously? Oh Trav, you murdered your own bit

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Justin wrote a review for Vampire Survivors on Polygon recently, and he'll also be appearing on a Polygon Twitch stream of the game.

https://twitter.com/doomquasar/status/1493989437038071816?s=20&t=GljX8hxa_k1gj6yAtszYhA

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

inferis posted:

most genre names are fake and made up after the fact like that, but they still refer to a specific thing, see also:triphop, idm, freak folk, etc etc
maybe you only think that because you're using examples like "freak folk" that no normal people say

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

BDG makes sincere good music. The video is 'funny' but it's not a joke, it's just a playful video.

Another song he did with Louie Zong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZmaoIyE7xo

A song he did in a band I think was called The Altogether? I like his vocals here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2KRDetyGhs

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

the point of genre is to describe things. high level genre are useful, but don't really capture nuanced difference in music. gradient genre's help be more descriptive but can be alienating to people less familiar with that area of music. I like to think of it as a recommendation engine.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

maybe you only think that because you're using examples like "freak folk" that no normal people say

Yes that was my point, those were all examples of genres primarily used by journalists that none of the bands being described liked or used.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I don’t want to brag, but I also had the Burger King Wild Wild West sunglasses and they were dope

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Professor Wayne posted:

I don’t want to brag, but I also had the Burger King Wild Wild West sunglasses and they were dope

Me too, they were awesome. I didn't even have to buy mine, I was riding Space Mountain and they flew into my lap from who-knows-where.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Thinking about the war w grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ethersea today

"I'm beginning to realize I'm kind of a piece of poo poo."

Devo is good