Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CrypticTriptych posted:

Yeah absolutely, that was just me spitballing for how the effect might get considered.

Really I think the devs have a crappy line to walk here. There's clearly a desire, both from devs and the playerbase, for "historical outcomes" to be at least vaguely likely as an emergent result of the modeling, but this seems like insane hubris. The systems need to be game-ified and grokkable to be any fun to interact with, and systems complexity is further limited by developer resources and consumer hardware.

I think that it's probably best to realize it is going to be just a historically-inspired game, rather than any kind of simulator, and interact with it on those merits. There's just too many spherical cows involved.

The game doesn't need to replicate history, it just needs to feel thematically correct for the time period. For example late game Vicky 2 usually has multiple great wars in rapid succession and endless cycles of revolutions in many major countries (especially France). That's not what really happened in 1900-1936, but it feels right. It's an exaggerated, gamifed version of the apocalyptic feeling of that time. I think paradox is on the right track for achieving the same thing in Vicky 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I want Vicky to be the game where your nation has legitimate challenges facing it that requires an actual concerted effort to face that requires interesting choices because in the time period this is probably THE time period where it feels like nations had many choices available to them and history resolved the way it did because of those choices and how various nations responded to both internal and external challenges.

The point isn't necessarily being "historically accurate" or necessarily a strict 1800s simulator; but a game well informed by the attitudes and economic and historical forces of the time that puts you in the hot seat and makes you really viscerally feel an approximation of the challenges people living in those times felt.

I think the term we all basically want is for there to be a minimum of Ludonarrative Dissonance from the gameplay in respect to the era? That the responses to your decisions convey the appropriate weight of their importance.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
When it comes to historical accuracy it's always a tricky balance in a Paradox game because it's a thing where like, reforming the Byzantine Empire in Vicky 2 is basically a meme, but it's also something where people still like the option for that sort of thing to be there just because it's a sense that if you push hard enough you can make the course of history diverge very wildly. On the other hand, you absolutely would not want to see the Byzantine Empire reforming every single playthrough, because it would break the general sense of immersion. I think there's a feeling that, without the player's input, a game should broadly follow the course of history, but not exactly. A sort of hazy area of "historical plausibility" where the nations are all responding to the historical forces at play in ways that lead to believable outcomes, but not ones that actually have to match the real historical events on a 1:1 basis.

I think when it comes down to it, it really just boils down to being able to form a coherent narrative. People like to be able to look at the state of the world at the end of the game and understand how it got there.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1494001326912638980

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

cant believe we're gonna be able to make quische mini replicas of famous monuments in vicky 3, gonna make every state capital in the USA have a functional mini forbidden palace

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

cant believe we're gonna be able to make quische mini replicas of famous monuments in vicky 3, gonna make every state capital in the USA have a functional mini forbidden palace

hell yeah. gold domes as far as the eye can see

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Wonder-building mechanics? I didn't know I could get any more hype! That's the best part of Stellaris for me, and I'm really excited they're bringing it over to Victoria 3!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

TwoQuestions posted:

Wonder-building mechanics? I didn't know I could get any more hype! That's the best part of Stellaris for me, and I'm really excited they're bringing it over to Victoria 3!

I'd imagine it will be closer to EU4 monuments than megastructures.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
is this mf game out yet 😤

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
8 am UTC

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Staltran posted:

I'd imagine it will be closer to EU4 monuments than megastructures.

are you saying we won't be building steam-based dyson spheres???

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm going to build a canal.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

Danann posted:

I like a man with a plan.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hey now, California's random castle/palace is in the middle of nowhere, thank you very much.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I gonna make vape to Cairo happen by hook or by crook

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Gaius Marius posted:

Mods, petition for Cape of Good Hope to be immediately renamed, please and thank you.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Gaius Marius posted:

What is a steam engine, if not a vape rig?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Danann posted:

Wanna get a boat stuck in that canal.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-34-canals-monuments.1511589/

Looks like Stellaris Megastructures but better, where it spawns events and encourages interaction with other game functions rather than just "push button, let it cook, get thing".

Precisely what I was hoping it would be!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Finally some unit models

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I hope they either let you make generic ones or massively expand the number after release.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Looking forward to "Boat stuck in canal" being our new "Comet sighted, lose -1 stability".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Monuments are going to be major DLC fodder.
Hopefully also tons of modded in ones of questionable balance.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I feel like monuments have been a big 'they exist I guess?' reaction from me in every paradox game they've been in.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zeron posted:

I hope they either let you make generic ones or massively expand the number after release.

I hope you're talking about canals, because if not, I'm gonna have to learn how to mod so that you can build silly canals.

* Rio Grande Canal along the US Mexico Border
* Superior Canal across US Canada Border
* African Canal from the Gulf of Guinea to the Red Sea
* Caucus Canal connecting the Caspian and Black Sea
* Dnieper Canal connecting the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea
* Biwa Canal connecting the Sea of Japan to the Pacific Ocean
* Florida Canal

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hope you're talking about canals, because if not, I'm gonna have to learn how to mod so that you can build silly canals.

* Rio Grande Canal along the US Mexico Border
* Superior Canal across US Canada Border
* African Canal from the Gulf of Guinea to the Red Sea
* Caucus Canal connecting the Caspian and Black Sea
* Dnieper Canal connecting the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea
* Biwa Canal connecting the Sea of Japan to the Pacific Ocean
* Florida Canal

And the Kra canal, Kiel canal, and one that goes from the Aegean to the Danube

Also I hope paradox remembers to put the aral sea on the map since it still existed back then

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Monuments in general, but yes also canals. Not enough games let you do massively impractical projects that have no reason to exist. Take some inspiration from Star Ruler 2, that game ruled.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 17, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Canals connecting bodies of water are cool, I guess, but the really cool feature would be canals to flood dry areas. Let an independent Egypt prove its power and technical prowess by flooding the Qattara Depression, creating a new sea visible from space.

Or conversely, the Netherlands expanding further into the North Sea, or Denmark going nuts with dikes too, to connect its major islands with the mainland.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Canals connecting bodies of water are cool, I guess, but the really cool feature would be canals to flood dry areas. Let an independent Egypt prove its power and technical prowess by flooding the Qattara Depression, creating a new sea visible from space.

Or conversely, the Netherlands expanding further into the North Sea, or Denmark going nuts with dikes too, to connect its major islands with the mainland.

This really was an era of the dutch simply building entire new provinces. Would be cool to see these sort of mega-projects.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

God I hope someone mods this event in.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I want to show the prowess of the steppe horde by building a canal connecting Caspian and Black sea. And thus ensuing a never ending economical collapse for the shear amount of resources poured into this

fake edit - wow this an actually existing(ed) project called Eurasia Canal

RattiRatto fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 17, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RattiRatto posted:

I want to show the prowess of the steppe horde by building a canal connecting Caspian and Black sea. And thus ensuing a never ending economical collapse for the shear amount of resources poured into this

Straight through a mountain range. It's a canal AND a tunnel.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

This really was an era of the dutch simply building entire new provinces. Would be cool to see these sort of mega-projects.

SeaLab 1920!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

These canals should also be a HoI mod where you can operation plowshare them into existence.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RattiRatto posted:

fake edit - wow this an actually existing(ed) project called Eurasia Canal
There was also the northern river reversal concept, where Siberian rivers would be diverted south into the Aral Sea instead of "wasting the water" by letting it flow into the Arctic. Admittedly a bit ambitious even with nukes, but I'm sure there are other ideas that would be reasonably doable with the tech of the time.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Siberian rivers would be diverted south into the Aral Sea instead of "wasting the water" by letting it flow into the Arctic.

... in a perverse way, I almost wish they did that because I'd really like to know just how dramatic of a change this would have on the global ocean circulation and climate. The Arctic Ocean is substantially different from the other oceans in that there is a ~50m layer of cold, low-salinity water on top of the more saline inflows coming from the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. This is caused by all the rivers in Canada and Northern Russia dumping freshwater into such a small area.

I'm pretty sure that reversing the rivers would gently caress up something in a magnificient way, but I don't know how exactly. Would the increased salinity of the surface water prevent ice cap formation, thus decreasing albedo and making both the planet as a whole and the arctic areas in particular much hotter? Or would it slow down or stop the gulfstream, resulting in much lower amount of heat reaching the area, inducing more glaciation and maybe even triggering an ice age?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

... in a perverse way, I almost wish they did that because I'd really like to know just how dramatic of a change this would have on the global ocean circulation and climate. The Arctic Ocean is substantially different from the other oceans in that there is a ~50m layer of cold, low-salinity water on top of the more saline inflows coming from the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. This is caused by all the rivers in Canada and Northern Russia dumping freshwater into such a small area.

I'm pretty sure that reversing the rivers would gently caress up something in a magnificient way, but I don't know how exactly. Would the increased salinity of the surface water prevent ice cap formation, thus decreasing albedo and making both the planet as a whole and the arctic areas in particular much hotter? Or would it slow down or stop the gulfstream, resulting in much lower amount of heat reaching the area, inducing more glaciation and maybe even triggering an ice age?

it would turn central Asia into a wet bulb death zone and annihilate entire regions of it in torrential downpours followed by massive mudslides

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Whatever this thing is that Larouche's people keeps telling me is a good idea.