Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 3DS ones are supposed to be decent. I think the second one is supposed to be a Metroidvania.

Sonic as Metroidvania is a worthwhile idea to revisit.

It sucks actually, you’re forced to collect stuff to progress, there’s a lot of forced character switching, aside from the ending the dialogue is largely terrible, and the stages take way too long even if you’re just going through them normally.

The second 3DS game Fire & Ice isn’t bad though, it’s mostly just classic Sonic action, the levels are a decent length, aside from a few early stages that are tailored to a specific character you don’t actually have to switch off at all aside from some optional collectables that have nothing to do with story progress, and the element switching gimmick is harmless and easy to get the hang of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

Are any of Sonic Boom games on 3DS and Wii U worth playing? Can't imagine they'll ever be re-released once the eshop closes.

the first 3ds game is like a rough draft of the second with a few annoying elements, like having to find almost every collectible to finish the game and no playable amy, but the second one is pretty good and easily the best boom game. it has more of a dkc pacing to it than sonic but the fire and ice gimmick works kinda like ikaruga and everything is very smooth

the wii u game is funny and easy enough to hammer through in a weekend but i wouldn't recommend it unless you're really curious

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 3DS ones are supposed to be decent. I think the second one is supposed to be a Metroidvania.

Sonic as Metroidvania is a worthwhile idea to revisit.

it's not, really. you can revisit early levels with characters gained later to find optional, mostly aesthetic collectibles but that's about it

edit: i don't see character switching as a negative really? it's very fast and painless, and is also like the main distinction of the boom series. but i also think encore mode in mania slaps

Looper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 16, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So I finally watched that "Why Eggman Was A Threatening Villain And How He Became A Joke" that Youtube keeps shoving in my face and, well, it just reinforces my belief that the Sonic fandom is trapped in a never-ending loop of thinking the Hedgehog games they grew up with are much better than the ones they have now...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think you could probably make a decent combined sonic cd and sa2 plot if thats the route they wanna go for the 3rd movie. having both metal sonic and shadow introduced at the same time might be a bit much though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

So I finally watched that "Why Eggman Was A Threatening Villain And How He Became A Joke" that Youtube keeps shoving in my face and, well, it just reinforces my belief that the Sonic fandom is trapped in a never-ending loop of thinking the Hedgehog games they grew up with are much better than the ones they have now...

Yeah., even in his original form Eggman was pretty much always supposed to be a giant manchild who could occasionally be threatening when he has to be (the AOSTH cartoon captured this pretty well in my opinion)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah., even in his original form Eggman was pretty much always supposed to be a giant manchild who could occasionally be threatening when he has to be (the AOSTH cartoon captured this pretty well in my opinion)

The bane of the franchise has always been the contingent of fans and writers who think the games need to be serious stories that deal with serious themes. There's obviously nothing wrong with the games having more serious moments or having moments of heightened emotion and drama, but at the end of the day it's a series about a Looney Tunes-looking hedgehog fighting a fat walrus man who makes robots. The parts of the franchise that succeed at incorporating drama are usually the ones that still keep its comedic character designs and style in mind and balance the drama against that, while the bad ones try to just turn it into a Final Fantasy or shonen battle series knock-off whose tone feels completely incongruous with the design of the characters.

It's just especially amusing to me seeing the wave of nostalgic fans who talk up the writing in the first two Adventure games, because those games' stories are ones that seem way more interesting summarized on Wikipedia than they were in actual execution. Like, there were definitely moments that worked, but they were constantly fighting against the graphical limitations and poor standards of English localization of the time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
eggman is a very threatening villain if you are scared of rotund men with bad facial hair

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SA2 is such an obvious choice for the third movie, it would be insane for them not to. CD would be a good choice too, and the Fleetway comic did an adaptation that had Sonic meeting himself due to the time travel shenanigans, so there's some good stuff to work with there.

Rush could work as well, it not only has best girl Blaze but two Eggmans, two Jim Carreys would be absolute madness.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

The bane of the franchise has always been the contingent of fans and writers who think the games need to be serious stories that deal with serious themes. There's obviously nothing wrong with the games having more serious moments or having moments of heightened emotion and drama, but at the end of the day it's a series about a Looney Tunes-looking hedgehog fighting a fat walrus man who makes robots. The parts of the franchise that succeed at incorporating drama are usually the ones that still keep its comedic character designs and style in mind and balance the drama against that, while the bad ones try to just turn it into a Final Fantasy or shonen battle series knock-off whose tone feels completely incongruous with the design of the characters.

It's just especially amusing to me seeing the wave of nostalgic fans who talk up the writing in the first two Adventure games, because those games' stories are ones that seem way more interesting summarized on Wikipedia than they were in actual execution. Like, there were definitely moments that worked, but they were constantly fighting against the graphical limitations and poor standards of English localization of the time.

sonic is shounen, hth

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
i was given to believe sonic is a josei
were my sources misinformed

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, but it's shonen more in the sense of early Dragonball, but people keep trying to make it how the Western fanbase saw Dragonball Z...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hogama posted:

i was given to believe sonic is a josei
were my sources misinformed

Sonic is a hedgehog

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Sonic is a hedgehog
He smells bad?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

He smells bad?

One would assume so what with all the running he does

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Sonic is a hedgehog

he's got an attitude

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

Like, there were definitely moments that worked, but they were constantly fighting against the graphical limitations and poor standards of English localization of the time.

I think those worked with it, the Adventure games are great because they're both fun and cheesy as hell. Furthermore, Crush 40 is the correct soundtrack for this and in this video essay we will explore

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

My favourite is still Robotnik from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. He's got the most expressive design and his voice makes listening to him lose his temper just so much fun.

If you could read my mind you'd have to sift through all of the iteachvader videos and songs stuck in there.

My second favourite is Eggman from SA2. He still comes across as the best villain despite not having a Death Egg, massive fleet of airships or even a load of badniks. He gets his hands dirty and even works with two other villains in a highly dysfunctional relationship where they're all trying to double-cross each other.

He's still funny in a lot of ways, like his goofy animations in the Chao garden, his quotes for each ranking and all the weird untranslated voice samples.

Robotnik from Sonic the Comic is a great balance between the two. They're covering a great story arc in the podcast where he uploads a copy of his mind to a robot, and can't see the obvious flaw that it's not going to want to serve under him.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
^^^ Best Robotniks are definitely Adventures Robotnik and Martin Adams Robotnik.

[edit - and little Boots cracker Robotnik]
[edit 2 - ooh it's nice to come here and immediately see STCTP referred to as if people know what it is! Do people here know what it is? That would be nice.]

Macaluso posted:

Sonic is a hedgehog

No way: josei.

HELLO everyone, I'm here to talk about my favourite game character. (dizzy)

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 17, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

He's still funny in a lot of ways, like his goofy animations in the Chao garden, his quotes for each ranking and all the weird untranslated voice samples.

I read somewhere recently, might have even been in here, that the voice actors did their best to argue with the director that vocalisations like "Yosh!" don't even slightly work in english, and the director was like "look just do them as a warmup, we won't put them in" and they totally put them in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

I read somewhere recently, might have even been in here, that the voice actors did their best to argue with the director that vocalisations like "Yosh!" don't even slightly work in english, and the director was like "look just do them as a warmup, we won't put them in" and they totally put them in.

They kept Sonic’s “Teriyaaa!”(sp?) when attacking the Egg Golem for some reason as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm still listening to STCTP; it's my window to a better time, a time when Gladiators was still on TV and every high street had a Woolies pick n mix.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sonic the comic owns. evil super sonic owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm reading through all of archie sonic (on issue 278!) but i probably won't ever read sonic the comic. it's important to have some gaps in your knowledge

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingKalamari posted:

yeah they’re dumb. Eggman’s charisma as a villain has always come from the fact that is both a joke and a serious threat. Even when he’s considered to be at his most threatening like in SA2, CD, and even SatAM he is still very very goofy.
Boom is, like, the only outlier to this and that’s because it’s an animated sitcom.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Eggman has been consistently one of the best parts of most of the sonic games. Classic was cool and had sick machines as boss fights. Adventure 1 was a dumb pushover but had the benefit of hysterically bad lines and funny delivery. Adventure 2 was sorta threatening and even blew up the moon (cool). Heroes was a nice twist given what takes place. I never played Shadow so w/e. Shadow kills him in some of the endings idk. 06 is the worst eggman probably. Unleashed, colors and generations eggman rule. His best voice performance, funny and still one bad fucker. Never played lost world onwards. Boom cartoon is intentionally hysterical and is one of the best versions weve ever had of him.

Eggman ftw even if hes not racist

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

06's second greatest moment is Eggman revealing he has high tech scouter glasses.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArfJason posted:

Eggman has been consistently one of the best parts of most of the sonic games. Classic was cool and had sick machines as boss fights. Adventure 1 was a dumb pushover but had the benefit of hysterically bad lines and funny delivery. Adventure 2 was sorta threatening and even blew up the moon (cool). Heroes was a nice twist given what takes place. I never played Shadow so w/e. Shadow kills him in some of the endings idk. 06 is the worst eggman probably. Unleashed, colors and generations eggman rule. His best voice performance, funny and still one bad fucker. Never played lost world onwards. Boom cartoon is intentionally hysterical and is one of the best versions weve ever had of him.

Eggman ftw even if hes not racist

this tbh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love how in your face Eggman's theme is in SA1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWtfU0CyK6E

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't remember Satam Robotnik being very goofy. They had Snively to provide some kind of villain comic relief instead. Also Jim Cummings was a good Robotnik.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I felt Eggman was pretty good in Forces even if his screen time was a bit lacking. He had some great lines there, and his evil plan was pretty good and simple.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Augus posted:

yeah they’re dumb. Eggman’s charisma as a villain has always come from the fact that is both a joke and a serious threat. Even when he’s considered to be at his most threatening like in SA2, CD, and even SatAM he is still very very goofy.
Boom is, like, the only outlier to this and that’s because it’s an animated sitcom.

you think this isn't threatening??

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I know how they can make Eggman a joke and evil at the same time: change him from a feminist to a TERF.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Filthy Haiku posted:

I know how they can make Eggman a joke and evil at the same time: change him from a feminist to a TERF.

they should not do that imo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how to make eggman scary again

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He’s pretty intimidating in the comics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
He'd be terrifying if he made a giant mech out of the Cracker Night barrel

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it owns that sega of america and sega of europe turned eggman into an evil tyrant that ruled the world for the comics and cartoons lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 17, 2022

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they should not do that imo

that’s why he actually hates Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sonic and crew should just let Eggman build his amusement park.

Eggman land can’t be much worse than Epcot.