Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Taking back ownership of your device is ethically correct.

You paid someone else to develop a piece of hardware so that you could use that hardware.

Now that company says “stop using old hardware, only new hardware” “but what about Feature X on New Hardware?” “get hosed, old person. Now pay me more money for less things”

Imagine if it was a washing machine, or a heater, or a car, or anything where you bought thing in order to use it, and you stopping use of a thing was merely because they didn’t want you using thing anymore? Especially in the situation of here, where certain elements aren’t going to work anymore.

Now, yeah, nintendo isn’t obligated to keep running an “ancillary” service such as the 3DS store, and it’s not like they’re “bricking” your device from running (If facebook goes down, can you still use your Occulus? According to google, it’s basically a paperweight, not good), but somewhere in the sand, it kind of is “taking features away” because in this case, they’re “removing features” (the ability to buy the games legally) with no flow for transferring licenses to Switch Online, instead saying “we think being able to play Mario 1 is fine, and we don’t really care right now about you being able to play Mario 2 because it’s less important/less iconic/will make us less money”

Anyways, what I’m saying is the “planned obsolescence” is baked into the design, more than just the overarching point of entropy where some of these components like the battery, cpu, etc have a shelf life they’re planned on being good for. They want you to keep chasing the carrot, and it’s stupid and I hate it.

the nintendo 3DS is not a washing machine. topic locked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the nintendo 3DS is not a washing machine. topic locked

Is this a neogaf reference or gbatemp reference lol

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Microsoft should buy Nintendo, obvi.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Pikachu says be gay, do crimes

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waffle! posted:

The rat is correct

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Waffle! posted:

Pikachu sucks a lot of dick. Kinda like pokemon. They suck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Pikachu sucks a lot of dick.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The rat is correct

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I'm gonna be a law abiding citizen & buy Devil's Third.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Palmtree Panic posted:

I sold my copy. I never played it yet it is one of the very few things I regret selling. It's gone up more than double since I sold it 2 years ago. I don't regret the price, just the fact that if I ever want a copy again for some reason, it will cost a bunch.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

xedo posted:

I can't find the store page offering replacement batteries anymore, grab one off Amazon or Walmart while you can.

2DS and old 3DS: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-74031/
New 3DS: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battery-pack-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-nintendo-3ds-xl/

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

free pushmo world from wii u jail!!! pull intsys off of fire emblem for One freakin second and save my precious boy Mallo

there was a pushmo on wii u?????? what the gently caress how did i miss this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Regardless of piracy, it's handy to mod your Wii U/3DS mostly for extra features like save backups and other stuff. Switch is a bit more iffy since you have to be careful to avoid a ban.

It sucks and is stupid that the only options for obtaining these games after that date is paying out the rear end for a used copy (if the game even has a physical version to begin with) or piracy, but if that's how they're gonna roll, what else can you do? If piracy is your only option to play a game, then I don't see the issue with piracy in that scenario.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Zurtilik posted:

Microsoft should buy Nintendo, obvi.

Nintendo will inevitably be bought by Disney so that all of their classic games we want can be locked away in the Disney Vault never to be seen again

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Xenupdate: enabling casual mode makes the monster grinding so much more bearable. I'm doing the quests again!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks! Glad I just missed it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Contemplating getting Doom 2016 on Switch because I love it so much on PC and want to be able to play it when the computer's in use. :thunk:

gently caress, Doom is so goddamned good. :black101:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Contemplating getting Doom 2016 on Switch because I love it so much on PC and want to be able to play it when the computer's in use. :thunk:

It's good on Switch too! :) 30fps, but the Switch is able to handle it and it's awesome having a portable version of one of the best games in years.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rageaholic posted:

It's good on Switch too! :) 30fps, but the Switch is able to handle it and it's awesome having a portable version of one of the best games in years.

DAMMIT ITS IN MY BACKLOG OKAY JEEZ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s a great port, I loved playing it on my commute.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Homebrew and piracy are whatever, but it's extremely obnoxious when someone goes out of their way to talk about how super moral and ethical it is to stick it to Nintendo. Like, it's video games. Do whatever, but don't act like you're somehow superior to others because you followed a guide on a website and can now play games for free. This isn't aimed at anyone specifically in this thread; it's a common sentiment I see literally everywhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its nintendos hardware actually

They can take it from my DEAD HANDS! :jihad:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The hardest part of hacking a new 3ds xl is unscrewing the back plate. The drat thing is just so flimsy I was afraid it was going to snap

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Goons really were practicing screws during that glorious era

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oh lord Doom owns

Palmtree Panic posted:

Some other ex-Ninja Gaiden devs are making this kooky game Wanted: Dead, looks like the saga continues.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Takoluka posted:

Homebrew and piracy are whatever, but it's extremely obnoxious when someone goes out of their way to talk about how super moral and ethical it is to stick it to Nintendo. Like, it's video games. Do whatever, but don't act like you're somehow superior to others because you followed a guide on a website and can now play games for free. This isn't aimed at anyone specifically in this thread; it's a common sentiment I see literally everywhere.

Nintendo thread: Boo corporation! Don't protect your IP! Don't send legal threats and take down ROM sites!
Bitcoin thread: Yay corporation! Protect your IP! Send legal threats to cryptodorks and take down NFTs!

Just seems like goons wanting to validate the piracy they aren't supposed to openly talk about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GI_Clutch posted:

Nintendo thread: Boo corporation! Don't protect your IP! Don't send legal threats and take down ROM sites!
Bitcoin thread: Yay corporation! Protect your IP! Send legal threats to cryptodorks and take down NFTs!

Just seems like goons wanting to validate the piracy they aren't supposed to openly talk about.

Yea that’s perfectly fine I don’t see why your being a baby about this

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GI_Clutch posted:

yeah pretty much

E: and that's good, just to be clear

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

We aren't supposed to be openly talk about piracy?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

You should have to shoplift something IRL before you're allowed to do piracy. Show us you mean business first

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GI_Clutch posted:

Who the gently caress reads a crypto thread if not to make fun of crypto

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Andrast posted:

did you not read the forum rules when you signed up??? :mods:

e: actually they explicitly permit for the discussion and distribution of software that is out of print and unavailable for purchase, so we can talk as openly as we want about pirating download-only eShop titles after they get shuttered

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Like imagine Diablo or Hades with the 3D effect turned all the way up for those of us who aren't queasy nerds with coke bottle glasses.

i'm imagining hades running at 15 fps. drat this rules.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Switch port of DOOM is hella good

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

I sold my copy. I never played it yet it is one of the very few things I regret selling. It's gone up more than double since I sold it 2 years ago. I don't regret the price, just the fact that if I ever want a copy again for some reason, it will cost a bunch.

i have no idea what that game is but why the tf did you sell it without playing it before it even got more pricey.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Calaveron posted:

What a weird thing to get all aggro about, since all that will happen is you will make another post in a couple of days about you getting burnt out on the game or quitting because nothing presents a challenge

so mad that someone wants to complete a game. gonna cry?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Andrast posted:

The big thing is to not share how or where to pirate games. Discussing piracy itself is fine, hell even admitting you pirate is fine (though I personally discourage bragging about it, but it's nothing probe-worthy or anything by itself). The general talk of game piracy probably merits its own thread, but I think mentioning it in this thread is fine for now considering Nintendo pulling access to games on older devices soon. Just don't talk specifics on where or how to pirate those games.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

The big thing is to not share how or where to pirate games. Discussing piracy itself is fine, hell even admitting you pirate is fine (though I personally discourage bragging about it, but it's nothing probe-worthy or anything by itself). The general talk of game piracy probably merits its own thread, but I think mentioning it in this thread is fine for now considering Nintendo pulling access to games on older devices soon. Just don't talk specifics on where or how to pirate those games.

I'm finally playing the game your av is from and I love it

The game.... And your av

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
All drm should be replaced with the security questions from leisure suit Larry 1

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nep-Nep posted:

All drm should be replaced with the security questions from leisure suit Larry 1
It's always Spiro Agnew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m gonna figure out how to turn my legit 3DS downloads into CIAs and sail off into the sunset