Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
As a show of his commitment to peace and de-escalation, Putin has ordered Russia's large scale nuclear forces exercise - originally scheduled for September - to begin tomorrow.

Nothing says "we're just minding our own business - you should mind yours" like pulling out the nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

As a show of his commitment to peace and de-escalation, Putin has ordered Russia's large scale nuclear forces exercise - originally scheduled for September - to begin tomorrow.

Nothing says "we're just minding our own business - you should mind yours" like pulling out the nukes.

To slightly expand on this, it got rescheduled 1-2 weeks ago.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ethnic cleansing.

That is what the Azov battalion is for, afterall: Exterminating the Russians and their Jewish overlords.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

To be clear, they're not actually pulling out the nukes here, just the nuke-capable missiles. Which is still some pretty un-subtle posturing, particularly given the timing, but in the end, it's posturing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To slightly expand on this, it got rescheduled 1-2 weeks ago.

Yeah it was a short while ago and unilateral but wasn't a finger snap; there's a timetable involved.

Ahead of sensationalist media I'll add that this is a pure deterrence move, and not that Putin is planning to escalate things with NATO.

Deterring NATO is not good for Ukraine's prospects, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fatherboxx posted:

Once Russian advisors/leaders pack up and the cashflow stops it would go back into Ukraine near-instantly because it is not really a self-sustainable region and turning into permanent hellhole like Transnistria is not a fate that people still left there would prefer.

Why would a populace who were oppressed while part of Ukraine want to rejoin ukraine? Seems counter intuitive.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Why would a populace who were oppressed while part of Ukraine want to rejoin ukraine? Seems counter intuitive.

That'd be because they were not actually oppressed. Except maybe in the way that white Christian males are oppressed in the United States.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

OddObserver posted:

That'd be because they were not actually oppressed. Except maybe in the way that white Christian males are oppressed in the United States.

A state seeking to eliminate your native language seems pretty loving horrible but I eagerly await Eastern Euros explaining how cultural genocide is actually progressive

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Terminal autist posted:

A state seeking to eliminate your native language seems pretty loving horrible but I eagerly await Eastern Euros explaining how cultural genocide is actually progressive

Yeah, Russia should really stop doing it.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, Russia should really stop doing it.
This is whataboutism, please reply earnestly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainization

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

Are you suggesting that speaking Russian was outlawed in Donbas, a region where Russian speakers are a minority?

Edit:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nato-chief-russia-continuing-military-buildup-at-ukraine-border/

Stoltenberg claims that the military buildup is continuing.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 16, 2022

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Are you suggesting that speaking Russian was outlawed in Donbas, a region where Russian speakers are a minority?

No I'm suggesting Ukraine is pursuing a policy where the ultimate goal would be the elimination of Russian language speakers and culture in Ukraine on a long enough timeframe

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Terminal autist posted:

No I'm suggesting Ukraine is pursuing a policy where the ultimate goal would be the elimination of Russian language speakers and culture in Ukraine on a long enough timeframe

It's not. It's pursuing policy where Ukrainian culture becomes dominant among Ukrainians.

And you are equating it to policies of complete eradication of a culture, which is what Russia has attempted in Ukraine in the past, and is doing now in Tatarstan

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

Sounds like you're a person who would also condemn Russification of Ukraine. In which case, I wonder if you would be open to consider possible connections between the two.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Edit:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nato-chief-russia-continuing-military-buildup-at-ukraine-border/

Stoltenberg claims that the military buildup is continuing.

This going to be an interesting next few weeks which the estimated ideal time for an invasion. Granted, they could invade sooner but that's an incredibly expensive assembly of an army and worse conditions for fighting military and economically. :smith:

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sounds like you're a person who would also condemn Russification of Ukraine. In which case, I wonder if you would be open to consider possible connections between the two.

That is correct and I do but much like any conflict that arises from hastily drawn borders following the breakup of a massive colonial project we're probably looking at some new borders to resolve the conflict.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I saw ukranians at Charlottesville yelling "you will not replace us" with signs showing big red Xs over photos of gopniks. They also burned Russian language books.

So yes. Ukraine wants to genocide all of Russia and push the slavs back to the urals.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I saw ukranians at Charlottesville yelling "you will not replace us" with signs showing big red Xs over photos of gopniks. They also burned Russian language books.

So yes. Ukraine wants to genocide all of Russia and push the slavs back to the urals.

Ukrainian regime defeating Slavs would be a sight to behold.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ronya posted:

Big if true?

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1493875669809442816

Exercises are scheduled to end in four days right?

Belarus to Russian troops: "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here"

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Some of the most prolific white supremacists in the US are Latino or Pacific Islander white nationalism isn't exactly logical. The Ukrainian nazi narrative at leasts makes more sense that Russians are Asian or whatever.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, if Russians are Asian because in some superficial ways Moscow was a Golden Horde successor state, clearly Ukrainians are Scandinavian!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ukrainian regime defeating Slavs would be a sight to behold.

The Ukrainian regime is actually Germans wearing slav-face

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's no reason Nazis should be limited to one race. If you are I dunno, Mongolian, you can think that Hitler was onto something, but he failed because the chosen people are actually Mongolians and not Germans. And indeed, there are Mongolian Nazis. Ultimately Nazism just says that the stronger races will conquer the weaker ones.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The Ukrainian regime is actually Germans wearing slav-face

They would be way friendlier to Russia if that were the case. Unless it's secretly zombie Skoropadsky (boy, what an accurate family name).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ronya posted:

Big if true?

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1493875669809442816

Exercises are scheduled to end in four days right?

I can think of at least one way this can be 100% true without having those forces return to Russia.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

I can think of at least one way this can be 100% true without having those forces return to Russia.

I propose a third possibility: They turn Belarus into Russia

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Because Glorious Russia that fed them fairytales of rejoining for a decade prior to 2014 left them in a ditch for seven years of war under the rule of small time criminals while focusing on Crimea.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

I propose a third possibility: They turn Belarus into Russia

The Union State is quite a step in that direction already.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They already signed a bunch of integration treaties early in November that effectively turn Belarus into a territory subordinate to Moscow.

I'd say the idea that Russia would invade Belarus is intentionally fed misinfo but this is Fox News so I can't tell you which side its coming from or if the talking heads are truly that ignorant to believe it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

Because Glorious Russia that fed them fairytales of rejoining for a decade prior to 2014 left them in a ditch for seven years of war under the rule of small time criminals while focusing on Crimea.

you'd be surprised what people will put up with when the other side is genocidal far right militias that western press considers 'special forces'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

you'd be surprised what people will put up with when the other side is genocidal far right militias that western press considers 'special forces'

I have some bad news for you about the other side as well: Wagner Group, a mercenary which is employed by Russia in Ukraine, is also a far-right group with noted Nazis.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

“Wars in Europe rarely start on a Wednesday,” Vladimir Chizhov told German newspaper Die Welt. “As far as Russia is concerned, I can assure you that there will be no attack this Wednesday,” he said, adding there would be “no escalation in the coming week either, or in the week after that, or in the coming months.”

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There's been a bunch of reports of wealthy businessmen leaving the Ukraine for fear of invasion which makes sense because nobody wants to do business in a state about to rolled by tanks. All these expectations of war can only have a negative effect on the economy. Helpfully, the US is proposing that the Ukrainian government take out some loans to fix it.

It's just "Ukraine," thanks.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Isn't that correct though? "the <adjective> government".

I am gonna be honest, this whole "'the Ukraine' is a dogwhistle, use just 'Ukraine'" is really confusing to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Xarn posted:

I am gonna be honest, this whole "'the Ukraine' is a dogwhistle, use just 'Ukraine'" is really confusing to me.

No, because 'The Ukraine' is treating it as a place rather than a country, and this has been something Russia has been subtly doing. Putin already made it clear he does not view Ukraine as a legitimate country, he feels that its a territory that must be subservient to Russian interests to that end they often repeatedly call Ukraine "the ukraine"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 16, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I have some bad news for you about the other side as well: Wagner Group, a mercenary which is employed by Russia in Ukraine, is also a far-right group with noted Nazis.

Also, Putin's personal state funded biker gang.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I guess it’s hard for non-native English speakers? I’d say “the United States of America”, for example. Conversely, in Polish we’d say “jadę do Ukrainy” and not „na Ukrainę” because „do” is for countries and „na” is for regions, or something to that effect.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xarn posted:

My very poor understanding as someone who does not live in Eastern Europe, but had it explained to me by a Ukranian at one point, is that when Ukrane was a part of the USSR, it was referred to that way, because Ukrane means "bread basket" and it was where the food was grown. It's kind of like saying "The Midwest" if you're in the US. By continuing to call it that, you're basically saying Ukrane (the country) is actually The ukrane (region of Russia) in the same way you would say The midwest (region of the United States).

Mokotow posted:

I guess it’s hard for non-native English speakers? I’d say “the United States of America”, for example. Conversely, in Polish we’d say “jadę do Ukrainy” and not „na Ukrainę” because „do” is for countries and „na” is for regions, or something to that effect.

The "The" in The United States of America is actually part of the name though. Nobody says "The France" or "The India"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

It’s correct to say “the Ukrainian legal system” or “the government of Ukraine”, since Ukraine is an adjective in those basically. What Ukrainian constitution takes issue with is calling country “the Ukraine”, as in “Tourists often visit the Ukraine in summer.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Xarn posted:

The reference is to the posters usage of "the Ukraine", not their usage of "the Ukrainian government".

As for the US, it's similar to the UK, but not "the America" it "the Great Britain". I'm not a linguist, so I couldn't explain what English is doing there. But in those cases, people would just look at you weird, versus Ukraine, where it is explicitly used as a dog whistle.