Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it means we're cylons. And not particularly advanced ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, that was my impression on my 13Pro as well. I've just heard so many people say OMG 120HZ IT'S LIFE CHANGING, YOU CAN NEVER GO BACK, but obviously my eyes and/or brain never got the memo.

I notice the smoothness, going from my 13 Pro to my ipad mini. But it doesn’t seem to be this gamechanging thing so many people have raved about.

Saying that this iPad also has the jelly scrolling issue and I haven’t noticed that either so maybe my eyes are broke idk.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Do the newer golden brown leather cases patina up like the saddle brown ones did?

e: looking at some youtube reviews: not really

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 12, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there not a quick way to turn off DND since 15.2.1? I guess 15.3.1 is waiting so I'll try that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

Is there not a quick way to turn off DND since 15.2.1? I guess 15.3.1 is waiting so I'll try that

Swipe down and press the focus button? There was a faster way?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

Swipe down and press the focus button? There was a faster way?

It wasn't working with a scheduled DND. Just gave me a menu to turn it on longer. I'll see if it happens after patch.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for wireless ear buds that are no more than $100?

Family member asked me for a recommendation but had that price constraint--would the refurb Beats or Airpods be OK? I don't know what else is ok beyond that. Potentially JLab.

Hed fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 14, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hed posted:

Any recommendations for wireless ear buds that are no more than $100?

Family member asked me for a recommendation but had that price constraint--would the refurb Beats or Airpods be OK? I don't know what else is ok beyond that. Potentially JLab.

I'd go for the Beats Flex. I think the MSRP is between $50-70.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Airpods are just really nice and get around pairing shenanigans that can often trip non-tech people up. The integration with iOS is also really nice.

OTOH I got my wife some Ankers and they've worked really well for her and I think for $80 fit great and came with a wireless charging case, which is actually a big deal of a feature for me. My brain thinks plugging in my airbud case is a crime and it feels way more natural to just plop them down.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks y'all. I sent those recs to my spendthrift mother :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Beats Flex is pretty nifty for the price which includes magnets in each earpiece that let them stick to each other or onto a refrigerator or your cubicle cabinet or whatever.

They have the H1 chip so if you are hooking them up to an iPhone it'll connect hassle free..

You need a USB-C cable to charge it instead of a Lightning cable, though.. I gave one as a gift to someone with an older iPhone and their first comment to me wasn't 'thanks' it was 'drat you now I have to buy a new cable' since all they had were Apple's earlier USB-A chargers

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 15, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
W1 not H1. I like mine OK but they are a flawed design.

The on/off switch is very bad.
I prefer earpod style buds rather than in-ear buds, but I might be in the minority there.
There's no sidetone so be careful using it for calls.

Also the price has gone up $20 in AU, which makes the value proposition a fair bit worse.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

It wasn't working with a scheduled DND. Just gave me a menu to turn it on longer. I'll see if it happens after patch.

It works both through the notification center and control center again. Must have been a bug.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I have a 13 max pro, first time iPhone haver. I have battery optimization on. Is there a way to have the phone charge even slower? Maybe plug it into my old rear end iMac that probably can’t push many volts through usb 2? Am I overthinking this? My battery lasts me a couple days and I really don’t need it to charge 20% to almost full in the hour ish it took. I tend to keep my phones for 3 to 5 years so I want to minimize loss as much as I can.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 15, 2022

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Russian Bear posted:

I have a 13 max pro, first time iPhone haver. I have battery optimization on. Is there a way to have the phone charge even slower? Maybe plug it into my old rear end iMac that probably can’t push many volts through usb 2? Am I overthinking this? My battery lasts me a couple days and I really don’t need it to charge 20% to almost full in the hour ish it took. I tend to keep my phones for 3 to 5 years so I want to minimize loss as much as I can.

Use the old terrible iPhone brick?

Honestly I wish there was a hard 80% charge cap. I also have a 13PM and I rarely use more than 50% battery per day so I usually charge from ~30%-40% to 80% before I go to bed. I’d love to just throw it on an old slow charger overnight and wake up with it at 80%

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The 13PM has a 16.75Wh battery so if you're charging it on an old 5W or 10W charger it will be infinitesimally "better" for the battery than on a new 20W USB-C charger.

But most people in this thread will tell you that it's not worth janitoring. Even an official Apple battery replacement is a trivial cost over 3-5 years.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have stuck pretty hard to only using faster (greater than 5W) chargers when I absolutely need to juice my phone up before heading out and my battery life is at 88% after about 14 months?

its performing better than my XS did after constantly getting charged overnight by a 12W charger but not by much.

I'd still charge my device slowly overnight vs. not doing so but whether theres actually a significant benefit to it I am not sure.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

You are overthinking this.

Let the phone janitor itself. It will easily last 3-5 years. iOS 15 still supports the 6s which came out in 2015.

In the unlikely event that you run into battery troubles you can pay to have the battery replaced.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
First time iPad-buyer. Wanted to set it up using my wife's phone, but I can't get an iCloud backup to complete successfully. Before I go crazy trying to fix that, just wanna confirm, would the iCloud backup copy over saved passwords (from the phone to the iPad)? That's the main thing she cares about.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Minidust posted:

First time iPad-buyer. Wanted to set it up using my wife's phone, but I can't get an iCloud backup to complete successfully. Before I go crazy trying to fix that, just wanna confirm, would the iCloud backup copy over saved passwords (from the phone to the iPad)? That's the main thing she cares about.
I'm not 100% clear on what's going on here, your goal is to restore a backup of her iPhone onto the iPad? Not sure that's the right path. I think the Tim Cook-approved way to handle this is making sure the passwords are synced with iCloud (presumably she's using iCloud keychain for the passwords?), then setting the iPad up as a new device linked to her iCloud account.

I don't even know if cross-species breeding like that is even supported between iOS->iPadOS backups.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Minidust posted:

iPhone backups cannot be restored to an iPad, they count as stand alone devices iCloud wise. If passwords are all you care about, you need to verify that iCloud keychain is active and working.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SlowBloke posted:

iPhone backups cannot be restored to an iPad, they count as stand alone devices iCloud wise. If passwords are all you care about, you need to verify that iCloud keychain is active and working.

fourwood posted:

I'm not 100% clear on what's going on here, your goal is to restore a backup of her iPhone onto the iPad? Not sure that's the right path. I think the Tim Cook-approved way to handle this is making sure the passwords are synced with iCloud (presumably she's using iCloud keychain for the passwords?), then setting the iPad up as a new device linked to her iCloud account.

I don't even know if cross-species breeding like that is even supported between iOS->iPadOS backups.
oh derp, that makes sense. Keychain was enabled on her phone but I hadn't thought to enable it on the new iPad. Looks like I'm all set now, thanks!

So the iPhone's iCloud backup is just a separate annoyance now. It's doing the thing where the projected backup size is way bigger than the sum of the apps that have backup toggled. From looking around online, looks like it might be related to Messages?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Minidust posted:

oh derp, that makes sense. Keychain was enabled on her phone but I hadn't thought to enable it on the new iPad. Looks like I'm all set now, thanks!

So the iPhone's iCloud backup is just a separate annoyance now. It's doing the thing where the projected backup size is way bigger than the sum of the apps that have backup toggled. From looking around online, looks like it might be related to Messages?

Do you have the standard 5gb space, or pay for the bigger one? Might be worth upgrading and see if that resolves. It's worth the small sum, especially now you have a second device on the account which will need space too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Minidust posted:

I've found my biggest culprit to be emails, whatsapp and then messages. You can check storage usage by going to the icloud settings page and then drilling down on each app.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Speaking of janitoring storage, there's no 'Google' thread so this may do ok.

I want to clear away and janitor my Gmail / Google storage. There are certainly senders that have sent me 1000 marketing emials and I can just delete them all.

Is there a way to sort by sender in terms of number of emails that sender has sent? Probably not but thought I'd ask.

Sorting by size also sucks, I can do greater than 10MB or whatever, but if there are 10000 5MB emails from one spam sender that is problematic too.

If I can’t figure this out I’ll just slowly buy more gmail space (even while aggressively unsubscribing from spam or bacn) and the emails will fester until my inbox is passed onto my heirs

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 15, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

Speaking of janitoring storage, there's no 'Google' thread so this may do ok.

I want to clear away and janitor my Gmail / Google storage. There are certainly senders that have sent me 1000 marketing emials and I can just delete them all.

Is there a way to sort by sender in terms of number of emails that sender has sent? Probably not but thought I'd ask.

Sorting by size also sucks, I can do greater than 10MB or whatever, but if there are 10000 5MB emails from one spam sender that is problematic too.

If I can’t figure this out I’ll just slowly buy more gmail space (even while aggressively unsubscribing from spam or bacn) and the emails will fester until my inbox is passed onto my heirs

The best way I've found is to hook gmail to outlook(or mail.app) and use that interface to sort(and clean). For easily guessed reasons, gmail isn't designed to help in sorting and filtering advertising emails.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I upgraded by iPhone 8 to 15.3.1 last night, and now I can’t get Safari’s picture-in-picture to work with Youtube. Other sites/apps seem to manage.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I upgraded by iPhone 8 to 15.3.1 last night, and now I can’t get Safari’s picture-in-picture to work with Youtube. Other sites/apps seem to manage.

YouTube block it and killed their own Picture in Picture feature for premium this month, I think.

Can’t have anything competing with your eyes for those sweet sweet views, even if you’re not on an ad-supported tier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Spend $3 or whatever on the app Vinegar, and enjoy ad-free, PiP YouTube.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

YouTube block it and killed their own Picture in Picture feature for premium this month, I think.

Can’t have anything competing with your eyes for those sweet sweet views, even if you’re not on an ad-supported tier.

Nope. Still works for premium and the timer was updated to April 8, by which point I’m sure it’ll get extended again.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Endless Mike posted:

Spend $3 or whatever on the app Vinegar, and enjoy ad-free, PiP YouTube.

I just got it for $2 I think and it’s ok. I thought it would be better for playing music while in the background but it doesn’t work unless you pop it out into PiP first. Or unpause it from the control center after you’ve gone to another app and the audio stops.

Luckily Musi is still good for that, you can go to another app and the audio doesn’t cut out. I guess I was expecting too much from Vinegar but it’s still cool.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone got a sure-fire way to stop an ongoing restore on an iPhone? If I go into Settings, I get:

Restore in Progress
An estimaed 500 MB will be required to finish restoring your apps and data.

But when I started the restore on Tuesday, it went from 15 GB to 500 MB at basically the speed you'd expect, then has been sitting on 500 MB for over 24 hours. If I go to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup I get a button for "Stop Restoring iPhone" which at this stage I'd like to just use as the phone can't back up or update while a restore is going - but pressing that button and accepting the confirmation does literally nothing and the restore sticks around.

Normally I'd think that leaving it another day should fix it, but I did the same process about a week ago and it sat at either 100 MB or 500 MB for nearly a week.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Question Mark Mound posted:

Has anyone got a sure-fire way to stop an ongoing restore on an iPhone? If I go into Settings, I get:

Restore in Progress

But when I started the restore on Tuesday, it went from 15 GB to 500 MB at basically the speed you'd expect, then has been sitting on 500 MB for over 24 hours. If I go to Settings > iCloud > iCloud Backup I get a button for "Stop Restoring iPhone" which at this stage I'd like to just use as the phone can't back up or update while a restore is going - but pressing that button and accepting the confirmation does literally nothing and the restore sticks around.

Normally I'd think that leaving it another day should fix it, but I did the same process about a week ago and it sat at either 100 MB or 500 MB for nearly a week.

DFU mode?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Restore in Progress

Same thing happened to me I just went in and hit stop restore somewhere. Still have no idea what didn’t get transferred, but I try not to think about it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Same thing happened to me I just went in and hit stop restore somewhere. Still have no idea what didn’t get transferred, but I try not to think about it.
The button just seems to do nothing for me :(

It might come to that. I’ll see if I can get a hold of Apple Support tomorrow evening if there’s no progress and failing that just go for a full DFU mode restore, although I thought that doing Erase All Content and Settings and restoring was basically as much of a “nuke it all” as you could get outside of setting it up as a whole new device.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

although I thought that doing Erase All Content and Settings and restoring was basically as much of a “nuke it all” as you could get outside of setting it up as a whole new device.

That's not at all correct. DFU mode erases everything, erase just erases user data. If there's a broken update or something, it will remain broken.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I just restarted my phone figuring that if I truly broke it I could try again. The problem went away and I have no idea what didn’t make it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

endlessmonotony posted:

That's not at all correct. DFU mode erases everything, erase just erases user data. If there's a broken update or something, it will remain broken.
Does that include the iOS software itself? I haven’t got the recent update and if I remember, restoring a backup to a different version of iOS (assuming post-DFU restore it just pulls the latest version) tends to be wonky.

doingitwrong posted:

I just restarted my phone figuring that if I truly broke it I could try again. The problem went away and I have no idea what didn’t make it.
Tried that unfortunately :(

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Does that include the iOS software itself? I haven’t got the recent update and if I remember, restoring a backup to a different version of iOS (assuming post-DFU restore it just pulls the latest version) tends to be wonky.

Tried that unfortunately :(

It sure does. It erases everything but the bootloader.

Tried a hard reset, just in case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

endlessmonotony posted:

It sure does. It erases everything but the bootloader.

Tried a hard reset, just in case?
No luck with the hard reset. I’m thinking a DFU restore is probably the last thing I can try so I’ll do that today.