Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Jesse is a complete joke and his contrarianism has only gotten worse. IF G*merg*te came out today he'd be carrying water for them.

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterPlus/status/1494040788501684225?s=20&t=Fq2rpkPwva215YYnu1oBXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
he is technically correct, 37% means it is a popular opinion, just not a majority one, and we need to clamp the gently caress down on it to stop it from getting any more traction

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as far as percentages go, you can have a majority government with less than 37% of the vote

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
if Brown was saying "well, it seems like there is a sizable chunk of the population that expresses some level of support for the protests. we should have a conversation about that," that would be one thing. but on the podcast and apparently still on twitter, he seems to be trying to say that well, actually, the protest does represent the Average Salt of the Earth Canadian, because look at this vague summary of a poll!

he already got shouted down on the podcast, and I imagine his inbox is bursting with "gently caress you" messages, so idk what the point of this is, except maybe to alienate subscribers.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Arivia posted:

he is technically correct, 37% means it is a popular opinion, just not a majority one, and we need to clamp the gently caress down on it to stop it from getting any more traction

Jesse cherry picked about the actual polls which had verying results depending on the phrasing of the question. From the article

quote:

In the Angus Reid Institute survey, conducted from February 11 to 13, 69% of respondents said they opposed the protesters themselves -- their approach and behavior -- versus just 27% who said they were supportive of the protesters.

quote:

When respondents were asked if they agreed that "while I might not say it publicly, I agree with a lot of what the truck protestors are fighting for," 63% disagreed and 37% agreed.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

years ago i was on a chat server for industrial music with mostly very left-wing canadians on it (vancouver people) and during a chat about politics i said something about "we" as in americans (referring to them as well) and they politely but sternly corrected me that they were canadian. they were nice about it and very brief, but i had something like an unconscious imperial assumption that canada is an extension of the united states that i forgot that these people were canadian.

i imagine the brash megaphone of the U.S. media also plays a role in this reemerging canadian left-nationalism. well, that, and not being pleased with millions of dollars in right-wing funding coming across the border and militia guys moving guns to take part in some boogaloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNaJ3WN1DE

It isn't left-nationalism that makes me say "Yankee, go home", I and probably most in this thread aren't nationalistic. It's the many Americans who don't do any research, don't consult any actual Canadian left-wing labour sources and call the Truckers a real worker movement because they wear high-vis vests. So much of the American left has been utterly duped through the desire to see a worker's revolt that they actually believe it is. This despite mountains of evidence that the Freedom Convoy is organized top to bottom by the far-right and all Canadian unions denouncing and organizing against it. The Jimmy Dore guy in his interview even used a tweet posted by a Conservative party op to prove that the convoy is supported by Black Canadians, not realizing that the movement tokenizes the very few people of colour in the country who support the movement to white wash themselves of their extremely white-nationalist views.

Imagine if on Jan 6th, Canadian leftists called that uprising a pro-worker movement because they saw Ted Cruz or whoever say that's what it was.

This is why I am pissed off. I thought the American and Canadian left could build bridges to mutually support each other, but they seem more interested in making some weird point about Freedom Convoy being a worker movement than actually learning about our country, our struggles and connect with our labour movement to learn from this and grow stronger together. What is happening in Canada is surely a testing ground for what the far-right in your country may do in the future, so I would encourage you to try to learn of the organized left's response to this as well.

That and so many annoying SA posters descended into our thread clogging up our discussion with extremely uninformed analyses and no desire whatsoever to read anything before doing so.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah like if this was authentically truckers the crowds would be mostly Punjabi guys not middle aged white people

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

MasterSitsu posted:

Jesse cherry picked about the actual polls which had verying results depending on the phrasing of the question. From the article

putting aside my personal feelings about it - there are plenty of pro-vaccine people that are ready to end the mandates or thought they went too far so of course that latter phrasing is going to have a higher result. if the protests had not been done like a loving occupation they'd probably be a lot closer.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ARACHTION posted:

This is why I am pissed off. I thought the American and Canadian left could build bridges to mutually support each other, but they seem more interested in making some weird point about Freedom Convoy being a worker movement than actually learning about our country, our struggles and connect with our labour movement to learn from this and grow stronger together. What is happening in Canada is surely a testing ground for what the far-right in your country may do in the future, so I would encourage you to try to learn of the organized left's response to this as well.
thank you for that. i think what they need to be told to do is shut the gently caress up and join an org which defers to a fraternal canadian equivalent like the communist party which had a presence in counter-demonstrations and came out with a very strong statement

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
nm

e: go home yankee:
https://twitter.com/ChrisGNardi/status/1494041178693636097?s=20&t=Qs4IeQbXeX8enJcS9pnlAw

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Feb 16, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

putting aside my personal feelings about it - there are plenty of pro-vaccine people that are ready to end the mandates or thought they went too far so of course that latter phrasing is going to have a higher result. if the protests had not been done like a loving occupation they'd probably be a lot closer.

Half the people done with mandates are done with them because 2 years of 'Do everything you can to end this pandemic! ... unless it hurts the earnings of capital or inconveniences higher income white collar people, then WORK! SHOP! SPEND! Even if you die from it!' is enough for a lot of people to just start thinking 'gently caress it'.

If we'd done this poo poo right from the start we wouldn't have so many people sick of 'sacrifice is for thee not for me'.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

years ago i was on a chat server for industrial music with mostly very left-wing canadians on it (vancouver people) and during a chat about politics i said something about "we" as in americans (referring to them as well) and they politely but sternly corrected me that they were canadian. they were nice about it and very brief, but i had something like an unconscious imperial assumption that canada is an extension of the united states that i forgot that these people were canadian.

i imagine the brash megaphone of the U.S. media also plays a role in this reemerging canadian left-nationalism. well, that, and not being pleased with millions of dollars in right-wing funding coming across the border and militia guys moving guns to take part in some boogaloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNaJ3WN1DE

haha I've seen this happen.

Work had a training session where the instructor came from the U.S. and he made a comment along the line so "We Americans have to..." and I don't remember anyone saying anything, but he must have got some looks because he added. "I mean Americans in the sense that we all live in North America.", and people were not down with that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"poo poo is hosed and it's the government's fault" is more popular than Trudeau's recent messaging of "everything is fine, get back to work". Covid deaths hit the second-highest level ever a few weeks ago, but the only safety measures are being carefully calculated to stay above the threshold where the government has to pay workers or businesses for locking down.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

thank you for that. i think what they need to be told to do is shut the gently caress up and join an org which defers to a fraternal canadian equivalent like the communist party which had a presence in counter-demonstrations and came out with a very strong statement

Agreed. I wonder also how much of this may be Americans jumping into a Canadian discussion for the first time online with a fresh algorithm and no historical context of what lean sources and commentators have. When I jump into social media on a new account, the algorithms slant right quickly and I have to manually add the sources I like and cull the others.

Either way, the feeling has been like looking up to your big brother only to find out they are best friends with the guy who beats you up if you cross paths on the way home from school haha.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

learn about something before opining on it? this is the internet, goon sir. those takes need to be sizzling, fresh, and hot, not necessarily accurate.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Everything going on the past few weeks has really shifted my attention back on Canada from the mess in the States, and I'm realizing how out of touch I am with the local politics in my own city, province, and country. Are there any thread-standard recommendations for podcasts, twitter follows, newspapers, political activist groups - really anything - to help somebody get up to speed? I'll take B.C. specific recommendations too if you've got 'em.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/mattgurney/status/1494049391434694656?s=20&t=Qs4IeQbXeX8enJcS9pnlAw

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

what a loving sleazebag lmao. city politics is the worst

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

justin is so loving based
https://twitter.com/TrueNorthCentre/status/1494046075094720513

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
A lot of Canadians in this thread are mistakenly of the belief that libs and breadtubers are the American left.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Karach posted:

he already got shouted down on the podcast, and I imagine his inbox is bursting with "gently caress you" messages, so idk what the point of this is, except maybe to alienate subscribers.

Jesse is at heart a contrarian bastard. He can't help himself. I like him and support Canadaland but there's a real reason he's widely loathed.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Disappointing to see dick wolff and other "leftists" mistaking the convoy for working class. Here's the ML take on the matter.

https://twitter.com/compartycanada/status/1489820801453137921?t=0pvJWxUvtoArZPezKzaeHw&s=19

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Yea, what the gently caress are you all on about RE: the american left?

I keep pointing to the poo poo RE: ottawa PD as further proof you can't trust police / security forces are compromised everywhere in the anglosphere. I'm not getting anywhere, but I do it.

Also gently caress the right-wing facist truckers, and I'd be all for extraditing our senators to your fine lands so they may face trial or whatever tyranny with canadian characteristics ya want.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Another Bill posted:

Jesse is at heart a contrarian bastard. He can't help himself. I like him and support Canadaland but there's a real reason he's widely loathed.

can't wait for the "OK, so I got this wrong" ep.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snowfall warning for ottawa with possibility of slippery conditions. :toot:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Karach posted:

can't wait for the "OK, so I got this wrong" ep.

I recognize it in Jesse because I've got that little bastard voice in my head too fwiw.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

americans shouldn't be allowed to post

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

like, not just in this thread or forum, in general

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

we need a total and complete shutdown of american posting until we can figure out what's going on

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

americans shouldn't be allowed

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

like, not just in this thread or forum, in general

in general, anywhere, not just SA either

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

we need a total and complete shutdown of american posting until we can figure out what's going on

build a wall imo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

poo poo has gotten about a thousand times louder this last hour with honking and what sounds like fireworks or other pyrotechnics. What’s going on down there?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Frosted Flake posted:

poo poo has gotten about a thousand times louder this last hour with honking and what sounds like fireworks or other pyrotechnics. What’s going on down there?

freedom

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I will admit the Canada thread in dnd is not quite as bad as the rest of dnd

the two threads are almost identical these days mostly because it’s hard to shitpost about the bizzaro country we live in lately since satire is now real

This is pretty much my experience. The two threads seem not too far apart and I don't engage much with either forum outside of them

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1494034448068792323?s=20&t=yhWpugI4OYZLUohCjChCIQ

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

He's right :shrug:

He has no moral high ground on the issue of association with nazis but neither does the scumbag zionist tory

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah, I was agreeing with him there

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gently caress, he needs to stop doing good things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Haha amazing.