Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Just bring back Walter Koening IMO

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My guess on the DisTown is they will just use HOA's to skirt the laws. It's also possible it will be in an unincorporated area. There is only so much they can do, though. They know the residents won't do anything because this is america and people don't have any power to do poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Perhaps as the search for beloved books to turn into disappointing movies/shows continues, someone will decide to wave a shitload of money in front of Vernor Vinge and we'll get a The Peace War adaptation (except the bad guys aren't government scientists any more, obviously).

Or they'll adapt A Fire Upon The Deep but make the Tines extremely toyetic.

Amazon probably won't want to do A Deepness In The Sky because the Emergents seem like basically Bezos' dream future.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

LanceHunter posted:

If Disney is going this hard with the proposal, that means they have finally solved the one problem that stopped EPCOT from being a residential community: The fact that the residents would have the right to vote (and thus, to potentially change the master plan). I can't even imagine what kind of loopholes they have figured out to maintain corporate control of all municipal government.

Imagine a timeshare where you give up control of every aspect of your life to live an idealized 50s perfect suburbia.

You can't own it. But you can vacation there for x months a year and a requirement to participate is proof of homeownership elsewhere. Conveniently proves you can't vote there because you don't really live there with the added benefit it keeps the poor out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sedgr posted:

Imagine a timeshare where you give up control of every aspect of your life to live an idealized 50s perfect suburbia.

You can't own it. But you can vacation there for x months a year and a requirement to participate is proof of homeownership elsewhere. Conveniently proves you can't vote there because you don't really live there with the added benefit it keeps the poor out.

Anybody who signs up for Disneyville deserves whatever they get, so this seems fine to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's the Villages with PeopleMovers instead of golf carts.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115128234446

Looks like it has quite a few notes in there. Hopefully whoever buys it does a scan for posterity.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nice Guy Patron posted:

Looks like it has quite a few notes in there. Hopefully whoever buys it does a scan for posterity.

Buy it, turn it into an NFT, claim you own all IP rights over Chinatown, burn the script.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Perhaps as the search for beloved books to turn into disappointing movies/shows continues, someone will decide to wave a shitload of money in front of Vernor Vinge and we'll get a The Peace War adaptation (except the bad guys aren't government scientists any more, obviously).

Amazon probably won't want to do A Deepness In The Sky because the Emergents seem like basically Bezos' dream future.

The iron is hot for “A Fire Upon the Deep” getting a tv show. Bunch of interstellar internet trolls getting people killed with misinformation, ripped from the headlines baby!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's probably more sinister than that.

Like the kind of broke-brained dipshit that would live in Disneyville wouldn't try to fight Disneyville anyways, but they still cinched up every loophole anyways just to make sure the residents are legally the property of the park and have no civil rights.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm opening up DisneyVille except Weed. Please send applications to my PM's and also send me cash. (Dollars only, if you send me canadian dollars you better also send me canadian weed)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

reignofevil posted:

I'm opening up DisneyVille except Weed. Please send applications to my PM's and also send me cash. (Dollars only, if you send me canadian dollars you better also send me canadian weed)

Weed already exists. It's on the 5 near the CA/OR border.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/OneWingedKaiju/status/1493960644625846276

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This will specifically be a community in which we all LARP as lightning fast VCR repair employees. Broken VCR's will be provided on site, attempting to fix them is punishable by death. The rent will be zero and the lease will expire when the elderly return from their vacation homes. If you go ten years without being removed then whoever owned your home died of covid and you can begin your legal case to eminent domain your new hovel.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's the Villages with PeopleMovers instead of golf carts.

Exactly what I was thinking.

And instead of the easy listening music that's constantly playing it's the Frozen soundtrack.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Has anyone made a "Walt's Gulch" joke yet?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

priznat posted:

Buy it, turn it into an NFT, claim you own all IP rights over Chinatown, burn the script.

Someone's gonna do this, but it will be with something like the he-man movie script.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Goddamn, when did John Mulaney start slowly melting?

Also:

https://twitter.com/DisguiseVoice/status/1493720375179587590?s=20&t=-nCyFItn0ZjmLUu557tMHw

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

considering that's from a show he did in 2019, at least three years ago?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LanceHunter posted:

Goddamn, when did John Mulaney start slowly melting?

Las drogas

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LanceHunter posted:

If Disney is going this hard with the proposal, that means they have finally solved the one problem that stopped EPCOT from being a residential community: The fact that the residents would have the right to vote (and thus, to potentially change the master plan). I can't even imagine what kind of loopholes they have figured out to maintain corporate control of all municipal government.

Seriously. The Sony UBP- X700M is exactly what you'll want here. It'll play all of your old disc media, while most 4k blu-ray players will only play blu-rays. I got one for myself and it worked so well I got one for my grandmother as well (so her movie nights with her friends wouldn't have to worry about having the right type of disc).

I got this BluRay player on black friday, it's real good.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Another vote for the Sony UBP X700. Good rear end player, well worth the cost

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

In my day the green m&m was a cumworthy vixen and video games didn't feature women. Look at what feminism took from us.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nice Guy Patron posted:

Someone's gonna do this, but it will be with something like the he-man movie script.

It was a reference to the Dune art book that was recently bought by a DAO of crypto idiots who assumed that by buying this expensive book for way more than they should have paid that it enabled them to now start producing Dune IP, it's quite ridiculous.

I mean you're right though, it will absolutely happen again as well because these people are dumb as hell.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/crypto-group-buys-rare-dune-175957282.html

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Jfc

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Nice Guy Patron posted:

forget it nice guy patron, its chinatown

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In my day the green m&m was a cumworthy vixen and video games didn't feature women. Look at what feminism took from us.

I’m gonna say “cumworthy vixen” in my head for the rest of the week thank you

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Pham Nuwen posted:

A Deepness In The Sky is one of my all time favorite sci-fi novels. I got bored of the Tines by book 1 but the whole concept and execution of Deepness In The Sky is loving Good As Hell.

I can't even imagine how they'd gently caress it up. Cuddly spider people? SEXY spider people?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1490824190550691846

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sexy spider people are in new lord of the rings

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Endless Trash posted:

I’m gonna say “cumworthy vixen” in my head for the rest of the week thank you

Say it out loud over the Walmart public address system, you coward

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man I had an mst3k on and wasn't really paying attention, and checked in for a segment making fun of the grateful dead (I recommend watching it if you don't remember it) https://youtu.be/RhcEXk_pJ9c

where Crow has a guitar solo that just keeps fuckin going and goddamn it made me laugh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

can some kind hearted charity worker euthanize this poor womanchild

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"non-descriminatory"
https://twitter.com/CMA_Hudson/status/1493611070988206096
The Internet Makes You Stupid indeed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cowcaster posted:

can some kind hearted charity worker euthanize this poor womanchild

thanks for reminding me that she's older than me lmao

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nah the stupidity was already there, the internet only dragged it up

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
it made me irrationally mad that someone might call the front desk because they saw a spider in their hotel room

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sunk Dunk posted:

it made me irrationally mad that someone might call the front desk because they saw a spider in their hotel room

i would if i was in australia. was she in australia?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man I had an mst3k on and wasn't really paying attention, and checked in for a segment making fun of the grateful dead (I recommend watching it if you don't remember it) https://youtu.be/RhcEXk_pJ9c

where Crow has a guitar solo that just keeps fuckin going and goddamn it made me laugh

The MST3K crew loved shaggy dog sketches.

This is the best thing ever: https://youtu.be/qMCY6kldN2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm a continuity nerd and I get it, yeah it's fake. But continuity lends integrity to a story or a franchise. Without it, the story can break down in the same way simple continuity like a guy wearing a hat in one shot and then not in another can disrupt it.